MMQB - The NFL’s Top 21 Quarterbacks for the Rest of 2017

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Who was it that was trying to argue with me that Dak was a running QB?

Sydla

Reaction score
What myth? His numbers are what his numbers are. It's not a step back by any stretch.

The myth that he has WRs that can't get open. I specifically highlighted the part of your post I was quibbling with.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's more likely that amazing 3rd down performance regresses to the mean than continues.

He's also had his share of lucky breaks on balls that could be picked.

He is having a great early season, though.

Absolutely.

But stats are stats and to this point, he's accumulated those stats so to suggest that stating he's had a better start to this season than Prescott is not exactly an outrageous statement.

Sydla

Reaction score
agreed on this.
he's not magically better on 3rd down than 1st and 2nd. and they've been in a lot of 3rd downs.
he also doesn't have to drive the ball 75+ yards every drive like Dak does. He has the benefit of a great defense and ST. He got set up twice inside the 20 last week. Granted, he cashed in, but a lot of QBs will when put in that position.

Except he is better on 3rd downs.

His rating on 3rd downs is better than 1st and 2nd down. The Eagles are one of the top teams in converting 3rd downs.

It's bizarre that people struggle to admit what's pretty obvious. Prescott is having a nice year. But so is Wentz, in fact, Wentz has probably played a bit better to date than Prescott. There's no shame in stating that. You don't have to turn in your Cowboys Fandom card if you state another player is playing really well.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd been wanting to discuss this very thing. Last year, Dak clearly outperformed Wentz. Any objective fan will admit that Wentz has some superior athletic skills, but Philly went out and got him better receivers....everyone in Philly gets open, catches the ball, and makes big gains after the catch---rbs, TE, WRs. They improved his weapons to the point that his starting first rounder is now his 3rd, slot receiver and really showing up as a guy who can beat that 3rd CB. And they gave last year's #1 the boot because he dropped so many passes. This year, Wentz is finding guys wide open deep, short, in the flat, crossing the middle....it makes a huge difference.

Dak is doing a great job, but he could use a TE who can really move and a better WR...Dez would abuse slot cover guys too, but he can't get that by lining up in the slot because there's no respect for the guys they put out wide.

I'll be honest......... I thought Pederson was a total boob but they have done a great job with that offense. They are scheming perfectly for their WRs. I mean this notion that we lack quality WRs that can get open but apparently oft injured Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith and Nelson Agholor are so much more talented than our guys is laughable.

Credit where credit is due. I think the Eagles offensive staff is doing a better job than ours.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s a stretch to say he is playing better than Dak right now.

My argument is that wentz is 6 and Dak is 15. That’s 9 spots different. Also, part of the reason the writer puts Dak at 15 is due to a “small sample size”. However Dak’s sample size is the same as Wentz. So
That argument loses merit.

Now that I can agree with.

I think the media has been dying to jump on the Wentz wagon but last year had to temper their hype when he scuffled down the stretch.

But it's also not just the media. Wentz is now listed as the odds favorite to win the MVP with Bovada.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'll be honest......... I thought Pederson was a total boob but they have done a great job with that offense. They are scheming perfectly for their WRs. I mean this notion that we lack quality WRs that can get open but apparently oft injured Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith and Nelson Agholor are so much more talented than our guys is laughable.

Credit where credit is due. I think the Eagles offensive staff is doing a better job than ours.
They are certainly running what works for Wentz.

Sydla

Reaction score
They are certainly running what works for Wentz.

I caught some of Peter King here on the radio and he was talking about the Eagles staff and offense. Said he talked to a couple of defensive coaches who said the Eagles run some of the more complex run game blocking schemes and that their offensive staff has done a fantastic job of using their WRs properly.

I bet they don't say the same things about our offensive coaches.

You simply can't tell me that the Eagles WRs are so much better than what we have and yet, they seem to have guys open all the time.

visionary

Reaction score
I'd been wanting to discuss this very thing. Last year, Dak clearly outperformed Wentz. Any objective fan will admit that Wentz has some superior athletic skills, but Philly went out and got him better receivers....everyone in Philly gets open, catches the ball, and makes big gains after the catch---rbs, TE, WRs. They improved his weapons to the point that his starting first rounder is now his 3rd, slot receiver and really showing up as a guy who can beat that 3rd CB. And they gave last year's #1 the boot because he dropped so many passes. This year, Wentz is finding guys wide open deep, short, in the flat, crossing the middle....it makes a huge difference.

Dak is doing a great job, but he could use a TE who can really move and a better WR...Dez would abuse slot cover guys too, but he can't get that by lining up in the slot because there's no respect for the guys they put out wide.

Great post
Agree
Wentz has way better weapons and the FO in Philly didn't just sit on their hands and hope that's"Wentz will take the next step". They were proactive unlike our idiotic FO

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score

His rating on 3rd downs is better than 1st and 2nd down. The Eagles are one of the top teams in converting 3rd downs.

It's bizarre that people struggle to admit what's pretty obvious. Prescott is having a nice year. But so is Wentz, in fact, Wentz has probably played a bit better to date than Prescott. There's no shame in stating that. You don't have to turn in your Cowboys Fandom card if you state another player is playing really well.

Obviously, his numbers are better on 3rd down. My point was, he doesn't magically become a better QB on 3rd down. And if he were better on 1st and 2nd, he wouldn't have to be so good on 3rd down.

I disagree that he's played better, but that's not really based on the numbers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Great post
Agree
Wentz has way better weapons and the FO in Philly didn't just sit on their hands and hope that's"Wentz will take the next step". They were proactive unlike our idiotic FO

Way better weapons?

- Blount is better than Elliott?
- There is no reason to think their OL is more talented than ours. They are playing better but I attribute that more to coaching/scheme. Would anyone trade their OL with ours, straight up?
- Their WRs are much better than ours? Yeah, I am not exactly buying that.

The one big difference is probably TE. Simply because Witten is at the end of his career and not nearly as mobile as he once was. Ertz is a real pass catching threat for them.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Sydla post checklist:

Whiny
Fluffs Eagles

So does that make yours look something like:

Look for thread that doesn't show Dak as the NFL's best QB
Post standard hyperbolic response propping up Dak and discrediting any player not wearing a Cowboys #4 jersey

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

3rd downs are largely correlated to first and second down performance. The Eagles rushing game has been excellent this season.

And Dak's QBR is higher than Wentz's.

What Wentz has going for him, besides a really good O-Line is a great defense. Dak has had great O-Line play in his rookie year, but has yet to have had even a pretty good defense paired alongside it.

And yet Wentz is still not playing as well this season as Dak did in his rookie year and is still behind him in QBR this season with a shaky O-Line, a RB that has been under a suspension watch all season and all of the collateral issues that have come with that (less 11 personnel, more shotgun dink-n-dunk, etc).

I think Wentz has made a nice improvement this season, but coordinators have yet to get a grasp of how the PHI offense has changed given Wentz's improvements. If you watch their game against Carolina, he really struggled badly against the blitz, but then Kuechly went out and CAR stopped blitzing. I think he's only really comfortable making a second read to Ertz and with Thomas Davis and Kuechly taking on Ertz it's easy to see why the blitz gave him troubles.

I just don't think at this point anybody can reasonably rank Wentz ahead of Dak regardless of criteria and I believe that there is likely a regression for Wentz soon once the league gets a better handle on how to defend the progression he has made.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
- There is no reason to think their OL is more talented than ours. They are playing better but I attribute that more to coaching/scheme. Would anyone trade their OL with ours, straight up?

Silly logic.

Who cares if an O-Line is more talented when they are playing better?

And who cares why they are playing better?

You're either playing better or you're not.

YR