FEATURED Morning Pops!

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Hate bugs except ladybugs, guess I am a reverse sexist? But I have made a deal with them. Don't come inside and I won't be a death dealer when I am on the patio. I find that swatting flies makes me into a mean drunk.

Friend of mine, who fashions herself as a naturalist. was trying to school me on the beneficial bugs and played the bird card, "what would the birds eat"? I tole her the birds were doing a crappy job as I saw more bugs than birds and wondered if the bugs weren't eating the birds. I mean there is that bird eating spider, aptly named Bird Eating Spider. I think that species was discovered by one of the more simple minded entomologists.

Those gnats might be the noseeums from Florida, tired of all the insanity down there, and hanging out in Iowa for a vacay.

I am not ashamed to admit it, I am not a nature boy when it comes to camping or the like and I don't like camping except the smell of bacon in a cast iron frying pan but after I've eaten it, I am ready to leave.
Mmmmm.... baaaaconnn....:rolleyes:

kskboys

Reaction score
Hit the nail square on the head!
:hammer: I get that my daughter is pretty involved in a whole lot of stuff with the divorce, custody and other things, and she would be all in on this with me (along with my sister and coworker)

I'm fairly partial to public utilities...
Let's see, that bucket behind the tree is a utility, and it's very public!! That work?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and pen pals. The thunder was really loud last night and we got a lot of rain. It will be too soggy to get a lot done outside today and the wife is having 11 other women over to play bunco. I'm going to have to disappear for three or four hours. Oh, well; at least the coffee tastes good.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning, Pops and pen pals. The thunder was really loud last night and we got a lot of rain. It will be too soggy to get a lot done outside today and the wife is having 11 other women over to play bunco. I'm going to have to disappear for three or four hours. Oh, well; at least the coffee tastes good.
Go somewhere and watch "The Dirty Dozen".

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Me? I go to the garage, crank up the radio, listen to talk show radio or a sports program and fuss about giving the impression of doing something when, in fact, I am piddling about or, perhaps, just lolly-gagging.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sounds like a Home Depot kinda day!

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
I apologize I advance for rambling. I guess it's a bit therapeutic to get this out instead of holding it in.

The past few weeks have been full of a slow-building nervousness... kind of like when one of those really sweet summer storms starts appearing in the distance on a hot day; you can see and almost feel it slowly crawling over the fields, gaining in strength and intensity as it nears. The smell... you can smell it in the air as the soil seems to rise up to meet it's approach and there's that weird silence and almost yellowish-gray sky; the birds grow quiet, the cicada song stops, and everything is just eerily... still. All movement stops until out of nowhere gusty winds, driving rain and occasionally hail if the weather front is just right.

What's causing all of this upheaval in me? A single trip to Iowa City for my six-month scans and follow up. I don't know that I'll ever be able to shake the anxiety and just get on with life. I feel I'm wasting living in all the worry.

Tuesday is the big day and the weekend before is always the worst because I'm not at work with all those distractions (sigh...) I get inside my own head and am a wreck the whole weekend with what is likely imaginary aches and pains that seem to disappear as soon as I get to University Hospital. I make myself sick worrying about being sick, and the truth is I really shouldn't worry about something I can't control.

This is when it really sucks being single. Having someone to be able to lean into was nice for the short time he was here while I was dealing with this mess. Family doesn't even remember that I still have to deal with this, except my sister. God bless her. Co-workers just roll their eyes when they see I'm going to be gone for this visit and they see how anxious I get, except my friend Cassie (our bookkeeper). She has been there for me from the beginning when I went back to work after my diagnosis and still is. God bless her too.

Tomorrow the apartment I live in will get a vigorous scrubbing to work off some of the nervous energy. I hope it's ready for the "storm" it's about to be blindsided with.

I'm not saying all this for attention, I just needed to get it out. Thank you for your time and tolerance.

Good afternoon Pops and friends.

Gramma, the “Morning Pops” family will be right there with you. Ready to celebrate the good report.
Normally to get my mind off things I’ll open the good book and do some reading. I also like to listen to oldies, it takes you back to times when things were much more simple. Sometimes I’ll go in my shop and start another wood project. It keeps the mind occupied. I’ll even paint things that don’t need painting. If everything else fails, have a Kit Kat. ;) Works every time. Praying for ya.

Have a great day friends.

Xelda

Reaction score
Afternoon Pops and.... RGV has a Kit Kat?!!!!! I wanna Kit Kat! So many different conversations going on along with some Xelda approved attempts to weasel onto Leon's good side for some quality beach time. ksk is involved which always leads to some form of devilment. All in all, it's us being us which has worked for us so far.

After the storms, the weather was down right agreeable this morning so I attacked the flower bed with both feet. I got a good bit done and am eternally grateful to the weather and me for doing more of what needed to be done. I have a few ant bites on my toes from one area that didn't get dealt with properly. Pretty soon I can focus on the back and continue to ignore the sides.

I hope everyone has a good Monday and don't forget to buy a Kit Kat.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Me? I go to the garage, crank up the radio, listen to talk show radio or a sports program and fuss about giving the impression of doing something when, in fact, I am piddling about or, perhaps, just lolly-gagging.
So, after our morning hike today, my wife announced that she wanted me out of the kitchen after lunch in order to bake savory sweets for her upcoming girls night out (which, according to our marriage contract, I cook, serve wine and then disappear).

Naturally, I went to the garage to "piddle about". Four hours later, I had power washed the garage and driveway, cleaned and serviced my scuba equipment from this weekend's class, sharpened the blades on my riding mower, and cleaned the inside of my pick-up. Just as I set down with a bottle of water, my wife came out to the garage with a few token sweets and remarked, "I know like piddling about in your garage" and then we exchanged a knowing laugh. I think she is on to me.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Good afternoon Pops and friends.

Gramma, the “Morning Pops” family will be right there with you. Ready to celebrate the good report.
Normally to get my mind off things I’ll open the good book and do some reading. I also like to listen to oldies, it takes you back to times when things were much more simple. Sometimes I’ll go in my shop and start another wood project. It keeps the mind occupied. I’ll even paint things that don’t need painting. If everything else fails, have a Kit Kat. ;) Works every time. Praying for ya.

Have a great day friends.

Thank you. Gonna spend some quiet time tonight outside to simply 'be'. I will post as I'm leaving the hospital tomorrow... probably late morning. I usually come out of there with a couple hand wraps looking like I'm ready to glove up for a few rounds in the ring. It's a teaching hospital so sometimes their aim is less than perfect when drawing for labs or running my contrast i.v. The worst is waiting for the results. Quite nerve wracking. You know what they say. The waiting is the hardest part.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Thank you. Gonna spend some quiet time tonight outside to simply 'be'. I will post as I'm leaving the hospital tomorrow... probably late morning. I usually come out of there with a couple hand wraps looking like I'm ready to glove up for a few rounds in the ring. It's a teaching hospital so sometimes their aim is less than perfect when drawing for labs or running my contrast i.v. The worst is waiting for the results. Quite nerve wracking. You know what they say. The waiting is the hardest part.

So true, I’ve had to do that kind of waiting before for loved one’s test results. It’s like that last tenth of a mile. It’s the farthest.