FEATURED Morning Pops!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to everybody who decided to start their Friday by visiting this thread.

Short work week, Texas vs LSU on Sat., start of the season for the Cowboys on Sunday, my Wife is doing great, having a great year at work, my family is all healthy, and I have cold beer in my fridge in the garage. Is there anything that I could honestly ask for that is more important then that?

Leon, I remember, as a small boy (maybe 9?), I was in Canton Ill., Fulton County, and we had three Twisters hit, one after another. Ripped through that little town, leveled half of the whole town. Long story short, no power, no water, no nothing for about a week. I remember the National Guard showing up and declared martial law, except for those who were working on emergency or clean up crews. Worked 24x7 to just clean up. Seemed like forever but it was probably only a couple weeks before the roads were cleared. I remember walking to my Grandparents, about 5 miles. Power lines down everywhere, trees, cars, houses everywhere. We ended up just following the railroad tracks cause it was easiest. I remember walking over a rail bridge because the river out on route 9 was running so high, couldn't cross it. There were only railroad ties and then open space between them. No hand rails, no nothing. I remember being afraid of falling through or falling off. The space between them seemed really far between, at the time. Anyway, I feel for all of you, it's a real drag but at least everybody is OK. I am thankful for that. Stay safe Buddy!

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, I hope all of you are enjoying your Friday. Are you ready for the game on Sunday? I hope so, I hope all of you have a great time.

Everybody, it's Gents Week! Lets go out and kick those sorry Gmen's butts! I hope all of you have a great weekend. Enjoy the game but above all, be careful, be safe!

Peace.......
I remember the one in Canton and Xenia when I was a boy. Visuals like that on the news stick with you when you've never seen anything like that before. I couldn't even imagine dealing with the aftermath of something like that.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Good afternoon Pops and friends. It sure was humid this morning during our jog. It still feels like July around here. Mid 90’s now feels like 103. Can’t complain tho, better this than hurricanes and I think most ppl living near the Texas gulf coast will agree.
I’m ready for the 60s mornings and 70s days. Not asking for too much ;)

It’s Friday folks and our team is playing in a couple of days. Go Cowboys!
Afternoon Pops and everyone.

RGV, I'm there with you on the cooler temps. We've been having mid to low 50's overnight and mid to upper 70's during the day for the most part. Perfect for those of us that like to jog. Unfortunately it's too dark in the morning when I would need to go (5:15ish) since I go by myself. It just wouldn't be safe.

As for this hurricane nonsense, mother nature sure can get moody. Thankfully my daughter's bunch in Virginia Beach haven't really had much but some downed branches, rain and some wind.

Can't wait for Sunday! GO COWBOYS!!!:starspin::flagwave::starspin:

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning Pops and others feeling both glad and guilty you have running water. I must admit, I take everyday luxuries like electricity and water for granted until they're not there and then I want to know who to call to complain about it. I never think about calling them and thanking them.

Leon, you seem to be taking your first extended stay in a place that you always wanted to be in great stride considering what that area has been through. Look at it this way, you won't have to listen to the stories about Dorian, you've lived through it and have some of your own to share.

Just when we get to thinking we're special with going back to the moon and beyond, we get humbled back to earth by the power on this planet. Katrina, Ike and Harvey hit close to home and were bad but this thing acts as if it is with purpose and refuses to die. I cannot recall following one like this for this long ever before and it's spawned enough tornadoes to fill tornado alley for two years.

The coverage is heart wrenching but it could have been so much worse for those of us that use this thread as home base. Leon, your post was like Apollo 11 coming back online.
Thank you, CC. And you too, @ABQCOWBOY . It means a lot to me. I drove through a low ground level area today and the flood damage was heartbreaking. I took some video and if I can figure out how to post it I will. There is another area where the majority of all the houses were just flattened. I don't know whether I want to see that or not. If I do I will get some pics and video.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thank you, CC. And you too, @ABQCOWBOY . It means a lot to me. I drove through a low ground level area today and the flood damage was heartbreaking. I took some video and if I can figure out how to post it I will. There is another area where the majority of all the houses were just flattened. I don't know whether I want to see that or not. If I do I will get some pics and video.
I just saw some pictures on the news. It looks like an H bomb went off. I don't know if it's the island you're on, but it's hard to imagine any buildings survived.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
Morning, Pops and pen pals. We are still without running water. Maybe today but, as long as the stores still have bottled water we will be okay. There are a lot of people here who have no homes to go back to and many who have homes but must contend with all the ravages of flood water. So I consider our family EXTREMELY lucky and refuse to complain about mere inconveniences.

I still have not found a way to get my wife and her mom off the island so they can go back home for medical appointments, etc. My neighbor, God bless him, knows the general manager of Bahama Air and he is trying to contact him to see if we can get an air lift.

I find myself wanting to stay here. I'm 74 yrs. old, but if I can find a way to help that doesn't involve back straining work I would like to do it. Have a great day, everyone and thanks again for your prayers.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Morning, Pops and pen pals. We are still without running water. Maybe today but, as long as the stores still have bottled water we will be okay. There are a lot of people here who have no homes to go back to and many who have homes but must contend with all the ravages of flood water. So I consider our family EXTREMELY lucky and refuse to complain about mere inconveniences.

I still have not found a way to get my wife and her mom off the island so they can go back home for medical appointments, etc. My neighbor, God bless him, knows the general manager of Bahama Air and he is trying to contact him to see if we can get an air lift.

I find myself wanting to stay here. I'm 74 yrs. old, but if I can find a way to help that doesn't involve back straining work I would like to do it. Have a great day, everyone and thanks again for your prayers.[/QUOTE/]

Morning Pops and everyone.

Leon, given all that has happened near and around you, I'd say you're blessed. If you're able to pay it forward, then God bless you even more.

Gotta get moving here this morning and get at least my walk in. It's a cool 57°. Beautiful.

Have a great day all.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I find myself wanting to stay here. I'm 74 yrs. old, but if I can find a way to help that doesn't involve back straining work I would like to do it. Have a great day, everyone and thanks again for your prayers.
Bless you @LeonDixson. You obviously have a big and compassionate heart.

I have never experienced the sort of destruction your experiencing, but have been on the fringes of a couple of hurricanes that hit the gulf coast area. I recall floating by homes in a small zodiac boat and pulling people off roof-tops. Absolutely heartbreaking.

I wish you all the best my Cowboy brethren.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Afternoon Pops and everyone.

RGV, I'm there with you on the cooler temps. We've been having mid to low 50's overnight and mid to upper 70's during the day for the most part. Perfect for those of us that like to jog. Unfortunately it's too dark in the morning when I would need to go (5:15ish) since I go by myself. It just wouldn't be safe.

As for this hurricane nonsense, mother nature sure can get moody. Thankfully my daughter's bunch in Virginia Beach haven't really had much but some downed branches, rain and some wind.

Can't wait for Sunday! GO COWBOYS!!!:starspin::flagwave::starspin:

We generally start our jog around 7ish. The park we go to has a inner and outer track around a sports complex. We usually jog part of the inner which is about half mile then we go into a wooded trail that’s a 2 mile round trip. Only dangers on that trail are gators, wild hogs and snakes. I’ve never seen a gator but there are signs saying to beware. When I see a hog I make an about face lol. Might be a mean protective mama hog. Best time to go jogging this time of year is early morning or late evening. During the winter, the best time is noonish, for me anyway.

Good to hear your daughter didn’t have much damage.

When I was a teenager, we hunkered down in a shelter when hurricane Beulah made landfall. It was quite an experience just watching trees topple over. First experience in hurricane cleanup.

Married with children in early 80s we ran from Hurricane Alicia but she did manage to knock down a couple trees in my yard. First time I ever used a chainsaw. That was a lot of work. We were without power for 7 days.

We ran from Ike few years ago. He knocked down 5 trees and poked a hole in my roof. Could have been worse. We were without power for 10 days. Kind of sucks sleeping without ac lol

Harvey did most of his damage in this area by the amount of rainfall. Our house didn’t flood but lots of folks we know did. The cleanup effort was exhausting.
The community came through and cleanup volunteers crews were available to those in need. Many Folks from other states showed up to help. It’s really heartwarming to see ppl coming from so far away to help someone in need. There is a lot of goodness is ppl. Some ppl that were in need themselves were actually out there helping others. It puts your faith back in humanity.
Be careful out there Leon. Don’t overdo it. By the way, You’re a good man. :thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops and friends and special shout out to Leon and his family.

I echo what RGV wrote, it is times like these, you see the human qualities come shining through and all that bitterness we can feel at times turns to admiration for people helping people.

I am sitting here today watching football and feeling uneasy when so many people have lost everything, even loved ones. I think of how many times I've complained about the heat. Mother nature can be a breathtaking beauty or a ***** from hell but she will remind us who the boss is. We only think we own this planet.

Xelda

Reaction score
Afternoon Pops and friends. Hang in there, Leon and don't worry about those doctors appointments. We'll send Coach in your place, but don't be surprised if he wants to cut back on your alcohol intake when you return. There will also be the talk about inappropriate behavior with the nurses, but nothing you can't handle. We're holding the mainland down and behaving ourselves unless the Cowboys lose, then all bets are off.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The flooding contaminated the city's water wells so we haven't had running water since the first day of the storm. We are using gallon jugs of water for cooking and bottles of water for drinking. I'm dipping water out of the swimming pool to use for flushing the toilet. I can't wait to see what meme @daboyzruleperiod comes up with for that.

:laugh:My latest.
39yuvo.jpg

Yours is next dear! :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops and happy second Saturday!

It's finally here; that day we've been waiting for, for the last 9 months. That's right, the baby is coming......Huh? Oh, sorry. It's kickoff!! Now we get to see if Kitna finally does something good for this team, and if Moore is the genius he doesn't look like.

It's a perfect day to stay away from the game day threads! Have a blast, and GO 'BOYS!!!

LeonDixson

Reaction score
Afternoon, Pops and pen pals. Bahama Airlines is running two flights a day out of Grand Bahama to Nassau. I was able to get seats for my wife and her mom. They will be home tomorrow. I'm staying until the 25th. Have a great day Y'all.

GrammaJan

Reaction score

Got to the store this morning, cleaned my bathroom, did two loads of wash and canned 4 more quarts of tomatoes. Want to be ready so nothing is left to do before today's game. I even bought me a rib eye to kick off the season. Unfortunately I have to use the indoor grill, but it's well seasoned so I expect it will be good.

Daughter and her guy are coming to town the end of the month to meet the family:eek:. Poor guy. I'm afraid we set the bar too high by him having only met me so far. Let me just put this out there. My family is weird, although the one brother I get along with the best (even though he's a Bears fan) reminds me of a certain someone on this site. Are you asking yourself if you're that someone???

Enjoy the game everyone.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Got to the store this morning, cleaned my bathroom, did two loads of wash and canned 4 more quarts of tomatoes. Want to be ready so nothing is left to do before today's game. I even bought me a rib eye to kick off the season. Unfortunately I have to use the indoor grill, but it's well seasoned so I expect it will be good.

Daughter and her guy are coming to town the end of the month to meet the family:eek:. Poor guy. I'm afraid we set the bar too high by him having only met me so far. Let me just put this out there. My family is weird, although the one brother I get along with the best (even though he's a Bears fan) reminds me of a certain someone on this site. Are you asking yourself if you're that someone???

Enjoy the game everyone.
Oh, it's obviously CC...or Dix...maybe Colo....................................I hope it's not Xelda!