FEATURED Morning Pops!

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good morning Pops and Zoner Friends,

@Xelda congratulations to your sister - takes a lot of dedication and hard work to become a doctor. Until she matriculates as a diehard Cowboys fan, she's just "doc" to me.

So @CouchCoach , how did the smoked meats turn out? You inspired me to fire up my smoker for some salmon and steelhead trout. I tried a homemade roasted poblano marinate on some of the fish - have to same it looked better than it tasted. Wasn't bad, just went a step too far.

I could literally feel my arteries plugging up after seeing @daboyzruleperiod latest meme offering. But to answer the question, I would pair it with a dry Riesling.

Well, the intervention came and went. Remains to be seen what, if any, impact it had. We tried to avoid saying things like, "you're an ***" (or, the ultimate put-down from my 7 year old granddaughter, "you're a poo poo head") and stick to how his behaviors affected the family (you know, the Joe Friday, "just the facts" approach). After the initial gaslighting brush-off, I think he may have listened a bit... Not holding my breath. Most of the other family members felt relieved but the conversation. And, that's probably a good thing.

Enough of the touchy feely stuff, I am off to split a few logs -- you know, doing manly things in a manly way.

:muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and Zoner Friends,

@Xelda congratulations to your sister - takes a lot of dedication and hard work to become a doctor. Until she matriculates as a diehard Cowboys fan, she's just "doc" to me.

So @CouchCoach , how did the smoked meats turn out? You inspired me to fire up my smoker for some salmon and steelhead trout. I tried a homemade roasted poblano marinate on some of the fish - have to same it looked better than it tasted. Wasn't bad, just went a step too far.

I could literally feel my arteries plugging up after seeing @daboyzruleperiod latest meme offering. But to answer the question, I would pair it with a dry Riesling.

Well, the intervention came and went. Remains to be seen what, if any, impact it had. We tried to avoid saying things like, "you're an ***" (or, the ultimate put-down from my 7 year old granddaughter, "you're a poo poo head") and stick to how his behaviors affected the family (you know, the Joe Friday, "just the facts" approach). After the initial gaslighting brush-off, I think he may have listened a bit... Not holding my breath. Most of the other family members felt relieved but the conversation. And, that's probably a good thing.

Enough of the touchy feely stuff, I am off to split a few logs -- you know, doing manly things in a manly way.

:muttley:
Hey, Paul Bunyan, when Babe shows up. club that sucker and get the smoker ready.

The meat smoking went fine but as it progressed I grew even more disappointed in my smoker and think I will check out others. Not having my sensible down to earth wife around anymore means getting from the "I want" stage to the "I need" stage is instantaneous.

With that amount of cheese in Daboyz' latest, I'd have to pair that with some Metamucil. Maybe a 2016, that was a good year for laxatives.

Man, I know you are relieved to get that family intervention behind you. Fortunately, my family would not choose me for that task, I am more the interventionee type but they don't want that. They know if they fix me, won't be any fun to party with me. My family always puts Drunk Uncle at the head of the table for holidays.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and Pen Pals. This is my last week of freedom. The grands get out school for the summer break after this week. So we will have them all day long every day except Tuesdays and Fridays, which are my daughter's days off. I love them both dearly, though, so maybe it won't be too much for the old guy.

We had rain and thunder all night long, and it continues this morning. I was sitting here in the dark, sipping my coffee and looking out my man cave/office window. My photo cell security lights flashed off temporarily when the bright lightning lit up the sky. I'm easily amused.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning, Pops and Pen Pals. This is my last week of freedom. The grands get out school for the summer break after this week. So we will have them all day long every day except Tuesdays and Fridays, which are my daughter's days off. I love them both dearly, though, so maybe it won't be too much for the old guy.

We had rain and thunder all night long, and it continues this morning. I was sitting here in the dark, sipping my coffee and looking out my man cave/office window. My photo cell security lights flashed off temporarily when the bright lightning lit up the sky. I'm easily amused.

I know what you mean about the grandkids. We have one set for a couple of weeks on July and the other set in August. I already feel like I am in training for a half-marathon in preparation for their arrival.

Have you seen the Geico commercial with "Dr Rick" about turning into your parents? Well, I had one of those moments early this morning. For about 45 minutes, it bucketed rain and with a metal roof, it sounded like a full-on invasion. I wandered around the house at 2:30 am checking all the windows and exterior doors for leaks - just like my dad would do. He passed away nearly 12 years ago and moments like these still bring a big smile to my face.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know what you mean about the grandkids. We have one set for a couple of weeks on July and the other set in August. I already feel like I am in training for a half-marathon in preparation for their arrival.

Have you seen the Geico commercial with "Dr Rick" about turning into your parents? Well, I had one of those moments early this morning. For about 45 minutes, it bucketed rain and with a metal roof, it sounded like a full-on invasion. I wandered around the house at 2:30 am checking all the windows and exterior doors for leaks - just like my dad would do. He passed away nearly 12 years ago and moments like these still bring a big smile to my face.
I never turn off a light when leaving the room without thinking of my Dad. If he saw a light on, it was going off and I can't count the times I heard my Mom yell "Carl, turn the damned light back on, I'm in here"!!!!

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I never turn off a light when leaving the room without thinking of my Dad. If he saw a light on, it was going off and I can't count the times I heard my Mom yell "Carl, turn the damned light back on, I'm in here"!!!!
Yes, my dad would do the same thing and my mother's response was exactly the same... one other memory that pops into my head (especially during winter) was my father's regular and repeated checking of the thermostat setting -- he didn't really adjust anything, he just like to check it. Explains where I get my OCD. :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, my dad would do the same thing and my mother's response was exactly the same... one other memory that pops into my head (especially during winter) was my father's regular and repeated checking of the thermostat setting -- he didn't really adjust anything, he just like to check it. Explains where I get my OCD. :)
You know that report about the savings just 1 degree on your thermostat will save you? A Dad wrote that.

Ya know that winter storm that came through here in February. That drove Dad's mad with not being able to deal with the thermostat.

Was your Dad the door monitor as well? "Shut the damned door, you're letting the warm/cold air out". I envisioned the air just waiting for the chance to escape. waiting for me to make the wrong move. I could feel it getting all excited when I was putting on my coat to go outside. The Great Escape. I think he was glad I was a skinny kid so my entrances and exits through the door were so much quicker. Fat kids are air aids when it comes to escaping.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and peeps. I'm a man of few words, AKA. I don't have anything to talk about, :laugh: so I'll just wish everyone a happy Friday.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Afternoon Pops and everyone.

Hope everyone here is doing well. Been working crazy hours but finally have someone here I can turf all the residential real estate files to do I’m back to just commercial files again.

Got back on a regular walking regimen each day starting May 1st... and met someone along the way so things have been running in my favor more so now than previously. I’ve lost track of everything here on the site so will have to go back and refamiliarize myself with what’s been happening, although I’m sure there’s a video or photographic evidence somewhere knowing this group.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend.