FEATURED Morning Pops!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Thank you, ABQ. The one good thing about this is that my friend knows I've not moved past it very well so he's not expecting magic as some would be thinking that going through things like this makes us more adept at it. Got to have some great advice. When in fact, my best advice is don't do it the way I did it. He also knows I lost my Dad, wife and Mom all within 7.5 years so I am not the typical loss victim.

The toughest part is what he doesn't know yet. Not every marriage has the two best friends as partners and the truth is I miss my best friend as much if not more than my wife. And his was also his business partner. No escape and no place to hide.

I am glad this got postponed because I had more time to think about it. I love him like a brother and want to ease his pain but am I serving as his brother my not being up front about it? This is not a pain that subsides, it will only grow during the holidays and that first year is a real heartbreaker. People that gave me that "time heals all wounds" and "it gets better" while well intentioned were only getting themselves off the uncomfortable hook because they couldn't fix me.

Yet, I know men that lost their wives and were dating in 6 months and a couple remarried within a couple of years so everyone is different and there are people that cannot stand to be alone. Alone and lonely are not necessarily the same. But I think my friend was a one woman man just like me.

Thank you, appreciate the kind words. But then, that's what this thread is all about.

Those are the times that are hard. That's when you need friends the most and that's also, a lot of times, when its hardest to be a good friend. Nobody wants to have to deal with those times because they are no fun. Be a good friend Coach, nobody is going to know just how good or how much it sucked except you, and maybe at some point, your buddy but in the real time, well..... you know.

Xelda

Reaction score
Afternoon Pops and friends. Coach, you were in my thoughts and on my mind quite a bit yesterday. I hope it goes well tonight. Since he's aware of where you are in the process, it may not go as roughly as imagined. You can guide him to get counselling and maybe he can convince you to do the same.

Everyone have a good Thursday.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops and peeps, from lovely I-95 in New Rochelle, NY, where I've been stopped in traffic for 45 minutes, so far. The highway ahead is closed, so I may be here for another half hour, or I may be here for several hours.

If it opens up soon, I get to go to midtown Manhattan, then lower Brooklyn. If it doesn't, I may have to turn around and go home.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and Everyone. TGIF for you working folks. Enjoy!

Sorry you're stuck in traffic, @Runwildboys . Hopefully your day gets a lot better.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops and peeps, from lovely I-95 in New Rochelle, NY, where I've been stopped in traffic for 45 minutes, so far. The highway ahead is closed, so I may be here for another half hour, or I may be here for several hours.

If it opens up soon, I get to go to midtown Manhattan, then lower Brooklyn. If it doesn't, I may have to turn around and go home.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!
Oh man, what a drag. My wife used to tell me "you're not built to be in traffic.....and neither am I with you". If I was in it long enough, it became a conspiracy against me personally and all these in it with me were part of it. I knew this because they refused to acknowledge me...........my cussing, yelling or finger. At least you have us to complain to and receive all our compassion, my poor wife only had me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and friends. Since I've pulled you into my personal life, I think it's only fair to keep you apprised of my progress because that is exactly what it is all about. While I was concerned about breaking down and not being able to support Mike, that didn't happen. And it was as I feared, Kathy had gone down hill and was barely recognizable and only weighed 80lbs and in my experience chasing those visions that come was the first order of business if I was going to make it. The residual effect of that monster on the family and friends' memories can be debilitating.

There's bad news and good news and I can only hope and pray he's past the bad. Mike's reaction to his wife's passing alarmed his family so much that they called in a shrink, chaplain, priest and social worker came along as part of his hospice service. He ended up talking to the social worker more than anyone. His youngest daughter was fearful he was going to do something drastic because he was showing no emotion. His emotions are so raw and he's in such an unfamiliar place, I believe his brain is trying to protect him. He is not bent to give into his emotions.

The good news is I accomplished my objective, he's calling the grief counselor this morning and his daughter and son-in-law are going to follow through on that and keep me informed. I wasn't the first to suggest that to him. But I was the one that told him the mistake I made in not leaning on one.

My plan was to get him out of the dark place and talk about the good times; however, once I was aware of what had happened, I knew that wasn't going to work and my worst fear was coming, going to that dark place as well. The sooner he stopped avoiding going there, the sooner he would get through it. He broke down several times and as we are all prone to do, he said "I'm sorry" and I quickly hammered that down because he was trying to suppress his emotion and feelings in his core. I told him that grief counselor is going to thank him for doing that, no need to apologize for being a human. I told him that he has PTSD just as if he's been in war because that's exactly what it's like. This is not weakness.

But something else didn't happen, I didn't break down. For the first time in almost 8 years, I could talk about my wife without breaking down and I think her compassionate and loving spirit descended on me to guide me through what I had to do for my friend. And what was so unusual was that Mike said "you know that's the first time you've mentioned Sharon and not become emotional". He could still see me through his tears.

We're not out of the woods and if I could travel, I'd be headed there but he said something that really made me feel good about this. I mentioned that he's a bit of a recluse and that's not because he doesn't like people, it's because he doesn't think they like him. He told me he had no idea so many people cared about him like that. I told him just to keep that focus when your mind goes to that dark place and nothingness looks better than what you're feeling and think about them and how important you are to them. And then I mentioned our favorite and most quoted holiday movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and I told him when you watch it this time, don't focus on George Bailey but all of those around him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to any who might decide to stop in and visit this thread a little later.

Weekend is finally here. Coach, how you holding up? Hoping things went OK for you yesterday.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW and John, what's on the schedule this weekend? Whatever it is, have fun and be safe!

Everybody, have a great weekend!

Xelda

Reaction score
Morning Pops and friends. Friday is here. I'm sorry you're stuck in traffic, Runny. Traffic is one of the reasons I couldn't live in a big city. From the confines of my vehicle, I grumble about the idiots in front of me. The ones behind me rarely get any attention.

Thank you for letting us know about Mike and Coach, Coach. You've written some deeply insightful stuff. I knew you were smart, but you're even smartier than I thought. You were also brave and more caring to be there for Mike considering the circumstances. We'll be here for you. Just let us know when you're ready to start post jacking.

Have a good weekend everyone.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to any who might decide to stop in and visit this thread a little later.

Weekend is finally here. Coach, how you holding up? Hoping things went OK for you yesterday.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW and John, what's on the schedule this weekend? Whatever it is, have fun and be safe!

Everybody, have a great weekend!
Went better than I anticipated and thanks for asking, ABQ.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops and friends. Friday is here. I'm sorry you're stuck in traffic, Runny. Traffic is one of the reasons I couldn't live in a big city. From the confines of my vehicle, I grumble about the idiots in front of me. The ones behind me rarely get any attention.

Thank you for letting us know about Mike and Coach, Coach. You've written some deeply insightful stuff. I knew you were smart, but you're even smartier than I thought. You were also brave and more caring to be there for Mike considering the circumstances. We'll be here for you. Just let us know when you're ready to start post jacking.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Thank you, my dear.

The weather here is downright perfect and I am pissed that I've got to find something else to complain about. I think I'll go out driving around the Ancient and Slow, that always works.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good morning Pops and friends. Since I've pulled you into my personal life, I think it's only fair to keep you apprised of my progress because that is exactly what it is all about. While I was concerned about breaking down and not being able to support Mike, that didn't happen. And it was as I feared, Kathy had gone down hill and was barely recognizable and only weighed 80lbs and in my experience chasing those visions that come was the first order of business if I was going to make it. The residual effect of that monster on the family and friends' memories can be debilitating.

There's bad news and good news and I can only hope and pray he's past the bad. Mike's reaction to his wife's passing alarmed his family so much that they called in a shrink, chaplain, priest and social worker came along as part of his hospice service. He ended up talking to the social worker more than anyone. His youngest daughter was fearful he was going to do something drastic because he was showing no emotion. His emotions are so raw and he's in such an unfamiliar place, I believe his brain is trying to protect him. He is not bent to give into his emotions.

The good news is I accomplished my objective, he's calling the grief counselor this morning and his daughter and son-in-law are going to follow through on that and keep me informed. I wasn't the first to suggest that to him. But I was the one that told him the mistake I made in not leaning on one.

My plan was to get him out of the dark place and talk about the good times; however, once I was aware of what had happened, I knew that wasn't going to work and my worst fear was coming, going to that dark place as well. The sooner he stopped avoiding going there, the sooner he would get through it. He broke down several times and as we are all prone to do, he said "I'm sorry" and I quickly hammered that down because he was trying to suppress his emotion and feelings in his core. I told him that grief counselor is going to thank him for doing that, no need to apologize for being a human. I told him that he has PTSD just as if he's been in war because that's exactly what it's like. This is not weakness.

But something else didn't happen, I didn't break down. For the first time in almost 8 years, I could talk about my wife without breaking down and I think her compassionate and loving spirit descended on me to guide me through what I had to do for my friend. And what was so unusual was that Mike said "you know that's the first time you've mentioned Sharon and not become emotional". He could still see me through his tears.

We're not out of the woods and if I could travel, I'd be headed there but he said something that really made me feel good about this. I mentioned that he's a bit of a recluse and that's not because he doesn't like people, it's because he doesn't think they like him. He told me he had no idea so many people cared about him like that. I told him just to keep that focus when your mind goes to that dark place and nothingness looks better than what you're feeling and think about them and how important you are to them. And then I mentioned our favorite and most quoted holiday movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and I told him when you watch it this time, don't focus on George Bailey but all of those around him.
Told you you'd know the right words. I still think, after an appropriate amount of time, you should talk to him about moving near you.

Why not live out your lives having fun with someone you can each count on?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Told you you'd know the right words. I still think, after an appropriate amount of time, you should talk to him about moving near you.

Why not live out your lives having fun with someone you can each count on?
He is thinking of retiring but his daughters are in PA and his grandson. I moved here to be near my kids and grandkids.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and friends. Welcome to the Weekend! We got up to 73 yesterday and should be 71 today. Perfect weather for most outdoor activities. Have a great day!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning, Pops and friends. Welcome to the Weekend! We got up to 73 yesterday and should be 71 today. Perfect weather for most outdoor activities. Have a great day!
I had to shovel and snow blow my driveway last night, after a 13 hour day of driving around in NYC..........Oh, but we'll have a high of 43 degrees today!
:angry:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops and popsicles. Happy Saturday, and the last one before the roads start getting even more insane. When Black Friday Comes (Y'all get that reference?) the rudest, least patient, most selfish, "me first" drivers hit the road in force, and it stays that way until after Christmas, so everyone shop online as much as possible, and try to stay away from the crazies!