Mort: Cowboys expect to trade Romo to Texans or Broncos ***MERGE***

Kevinicus

Reaction score
We aren't talking about a cyst like something on the skin. The cyst Romo had is caused by the dynamics in one's skeletal system that aren't structurally sound.

Here is an article on Romo's back in Dec 2013 and it discusses two back surgeries that Romo had back then.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1902862-what-we-know-about-tony-romos-back-surgery

Did you read the article? It was almost entirely about his disc surgery in 2013. This is the basic gist of the part on the cyst:
Removal is normally done endoscopically and has little or no issues with recovery. Romo appears to have had no issues in his rehab.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Some of you are the ones who perpetuate the myth the guy has a bad back and is at risk. I see no evidence he has a chronically bad back. People play football and don't get their backs hurt and have a rougher position than him. Anyone can get hurt on a play but he's at no more risk than anyone else. But nothing I or anyone else says is going to change your mind.

With all due respect, you're talking around the issue.
1. Whether he has chronic back issues or not isn't really the issue. The issue is that he HAS injured his back and has had two surgeries already.
2. I don't know why you're talking about people who play football and don't get their back hurt. That's irrelevant to this conversation. :huh:
3. Of course, anyone can get hurt on any play. That's not the issue either.
4. The issue is that he has had back surgery before, he will be 37 when the season starts and that he - unlike other people with back injuries - will have 250-300 lb linemen crashing down on his surgically repaired back.

Are you telling me that the average Joe with back pains is more likely to have an injured back minus a 300 pound weight compressing their spine as Romo with back pains who will have multiple collisions with 300 pound weights compressing his spine? :huh:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If I had to speculate, and this is only a guess, I think she means they aren't making decisions about Romo without his involvement, i.e., asking his opinion, etc.
Well, that's not in doubt for anyone who can see exactly what has unfolded all along.

Sydla

Reaction score
As someone who has had disc surgery (and did so at a younger age than Romo), the notion that one no longer has back issues after surgery is a reach. I had surgery after experiencing pain and/or numbness down my right leg. I had a L5-S1 disc issue. I had surgery that removed part of the disc (they did not remove all the disc because of proximity to the spinal cord). I was playing football and had someone put their helmet into my lower back that had me sidelined for a week with bad back pain and bruising. That was the cause of the eventual bulging disc.

The surgery was largely successful and I no longer have the constant leg pain/numbness. However, given there is a small part of the disc still in my spine, from time to time, if I sleep wrong or sit wrong, the disc can compress the spinal cord and I will get that numbness back in the leg. But often in a few hours or a day or two it goes away and it's infrequent.

I also recall the conversation I had with my surgeon, who had operated on some prominent athletes as well. He said the only real side effect for someone like me (who had surgery at 21) is that going forward, while in my 20s, I'd essentially have the back of someone in their 30s. And when I was in my 30s, I'd have the back of a 40 year old and so on and so on.

So the idea that Romo is completely free of back issues because of surgery is a misnomer IMO. If I recall, he was even put on a limited practice schedule for his back even well after his recovery period was up. The logic was to limit activities that could lead to back discomfort.