My Strategy if I were GM of the Cowboys

RoboQB

Reaction score
I would bring back the dancing girls in cages.

I'd blast Motley Crue's hit "Girls, Girls, Girls"
at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

Before each game, I would enter the stadium in a Boss Hog Cadillac.
Have my driver do a lap around as I wave to the my people.

He would stop at midfield. Red carpet would be rolled out
and I would walk through the crowd to a hydraulic platform,
purchased from Gene Simmons, of Kiss, and take my seat at
my throne while beautiful young ladies feed me grapes.

Because, if I'm GM of the Cowboys, I'm also the Owner.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
MEANWHILE....
3rohw8.jpg

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I would bring back the dancing girls in cages. I'd blast Motley Crue's hit "Girls, Girls, Girls" and take my seat at my throne while beautiful young ladies feed me grapes.
I feel for the younger & lady Zoners having to read that smut.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I feel for the younger & lady Zoners having to read that smut.

Not surprised at all.
There are a lot of attractive women dancing to pay
their way through law schools, med schools, etc.

That was not smut, by the way.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I would make it a priority to get Dak and Cooper signed prior to the deadline to use the franchise tag and here is the main reason why:

So I could use the franchise tag on Byron Jones. Then I would tell Byron Jones that he has 3 options. 1) Play on the franchise tag this year, 2) negotiate a team friendly deal with Dallas, or 3) seek a trade to another team. I am betting that he and his agent would opt for option number 3. We probably would not get a 1st round pick for him but I bet we could squeeze out a 2nd or 3rd rounder from some team this year which would be better than a late 3rd round comp pick in 2021. Also, we could choose to not trade him to the Giants or Eagles. We could kind of dictate where he goes. The only risk we take in this scenario is if Jones signs the franchise tag and is happy to play for $16 million a year in 2020. However, I don't think that would be the case because rumors are circulating that his starting price in free agency will average at least $16 million a year and he would be missing out on a lot of guaranteed money by playing on the franchise tag.

I expect the Dak and Cooper haters to immediately trash this thread because the whole scenario is based on paying those guys.
I could see a team giving up a 1st rounder for Jones. Many teams are interested in Jones and he is the best corner that will hit the market in free agency. That means teams will go up in price to secure his services

SSoup

Reaction score
I think fans forget or ignore that it's risky to tag someone with the hope or intention of moving them. The player can really cause trouble by simply threatening to sign on the dotted line and lock you into paying them that 1-year amount, which can cause real pain for the team that wasn't planning on that.

It's why Nick Foles got to skate onto the open market when his value was at its highest and the Eagles couldn't even try to tag and trade him for better value than the highest compensatory pick. Because they'd given Wentz his deal, and the threat of Foles simply accepting franchise tag money for the year (giving them *two* insanely expensive QBs making franchise QB money) would have blown up their financial situation and sunk their season and forced them to make money-shedding cuts or contract-restructurings that they really didn't want to have any part of.

If we tag Byron and he decides he'll take the huge 1-year payday (which is very possible if only because accepting that tag means the price to tag him a 2nd time goes up, meaning he can get it out of the way now and know that he'll likely never be tagged again in his career), we'd probably be in trouble.

First, probably all reasonable minds agree he's not an elite corner, so paying him like one (even on a 1-year basis) is a brutally hard pill to swallow. But it's not as simple as saying, "Oh, well, worst case scenario is he calls our bluff and accepts the tag amount. And then next offseason he signs a massive deal elsewhere and we get our comp pick a year later. Oops." It's not that simple at all.

Second, the bigger worry is this: there's a real risk that his value gets shot to hell during that franchise tag season if he sticks with us.

With a change in defensive coaches and systems, we don't know how he'll look or how he'll play. And with our pass-rush being in mortal danger (Lawrence turned into a pumpkin last season, Quinn is probably 100% gone if we pay Byron franchise tag money, and who knows if we'll have any luck adding other good pieces), there's a chance that all of our secondary might be about to be hung out to dry. All of their individual values are about to take a beating purely thanks to the pass-rush, in this realistic scenario. And that's before considering that they might not even be any good in Nolan's schemes -- we've seen it before where a corner thrives with one coach but is a beatable generic cover guy in someone else's scheme. We're flying a little blind right now in projecting secondary performance.

There's a strong chance that, if we bring back Byron on a 1-year franchise tag basis, that his value is shot to hell in 2020 and when 2021 comes around, he's no longer given contracts rich enough to bring us a 3rd or 4th rounder compensatory pick like we'd be in line for if he leaves this offseason.

So if we get greedy and say, "waiting until 2021 for a 3rd round compensatory pick isn't good enough, we should try to do better," and we tag him trying to get cute about getting a higher pick or just a sooner 3rd rounder this year... we might get caught holding the bag. Paying him huge money to cripple his value and turn that 2021 3rd rounder compensatory pick into a 2022 6th rounder instead. That's a very real possibility and a very big gamble.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Fella, Woods and Collins at DT? Are you nuts? Rod is gone and a huge upgrade is needed there. You do understand that massaging cap figures year to year eventually evens out? Unless you cut a guy you can't run from the true annual compensation. Worth doesn't matter? What the hell does that mean? Of course it does. Over paying for a CB that has absolutely no ball skills when you have 2 young guys that are capable started is madness. Now I understand this is the Dallas Cowboys and cap and personnel stupidity reigns but isn't it time for a change. One of the best posters here - Bob Hayes - put out a great note on NFL decision making. Basically it was "What would Belichick do"? Belichick would never sign Byron Jones to a long term contract. Never.

You think we need a huge upgrade at DT but think Awuzie and Lewis are capable of starting?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I would like that plan except I would be fine with having him play here on the tag. We need to draft corner early and we get a year to see if the rookie can be a capable replacement.

bb721

Reaction score
Well none of this is the point. They don't have any cap problems, and have nobody crucial they'd need to sign next year. If you cut Crawford and Fleming, you have ~$90m in space.

Dak - 37
Cooper - 18
Jones - 17
Quinn - 10
Collins - 6

That's basically the max cap hit for everyone, and you don't even need to hit a restructure.

The Cowboys have 25 unrestricted free agents. You just used up basically all $90m to sign 5 players. Where is the money for the other 20 guys that either need to be resigned or replaced with a free agent we will have to pay? Also, we will need to pay the rookie class that we draft. I know we can reduce the cap hit a bit with signing bonuses paid out over time, but we don’t have as much cap flexibility as you seem to think.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/full-list-of-cowboys-free-agents-to-be

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would make it a priority to get Dak and Cooper signed prior to the deadline to use the franchise tag and here is the main reason why:

So I could use the franchise tag on Byron Jones. Then I would tell Byron Jones that he has 3 options. 1) Play on the franchise tag this year, 2) negotiate a team friendly deal with Dallas, or 3) seek a trade to another team. I am betting that he and his agent would opt for option number 3. We probably would not get a 1st round pick for him but I bet we could squeeze out a 2nd or 3rd rounder from some team this year which would be better than a late 3rd round comp pick in 2021. Also, we could choose to not trade him to the Giants or Eagles. We could kind of dictate where he goes. The only risk we take in this scenario is if Jones signs the franchise tag and is happy to play for $16 million a year in 2020. However, I don't think that would be the case because rumors are circulating that his starting price in free agency will average at least $16 million a year and he would be missing out on a lot of guaranteed money by playing on the franchise tag.

I expect the Dak and Cooper haters to immediately trash this thread because the whole scenario is based on paying those guys.

Teams can use both the Franchise and Transition tags this year.

If they Tag BJ is will likely be to keep him in 2020.

A team could just sign a free agent instead of giving up a pick AND giving BJ a huge contract. I would not expect to net much in a trade.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Teams can use both the Franchise and Transition tags this year.

If they Tag BJ is will likely be to keep him in 2020.

A team could just sign a free agent instead of giving up a pick AND giving BJ a huge contract. I would not expect to net much in a trade.

But if the new cba is approved the team will have to rescind one of the tags

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying the tweet isn't true, or what I said? Or both?
The tweet is wrong. There is not an absolute on what happens to the 2nd tag once the CBA is signed.

The new CBA completely replaces the old one. Anything in the old one is irrelevant once the new one is signed.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The tweet is wrong. There is not an absolute on what happens to the 2nd tag once the CBA is signed.

The new CBA completely replaces the old one. Anything in the old one is irrelevant once the new one is signed.

So the new cba in all likelihood only allows for one tag.