My Strategy if I were GM of the Cowboys

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just pay all 3 of them.

Easier said than done with a salary cap. Cooper and Jones could end up being the highest paid players in the league at their position and Dak could be near the top at his position. Jones will be the odd man out.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Teams can use both the Franchise and Transition tags this year.

If they Tag BJ is will likely be to keep him in 2020.

A team could just sign a free agent instead of giving up a pick AND giving BJ a huge contract. I would not expect to net much in a trade.
3 players were franchised last year and ended up getting traded and 2 signed huge contracts with their new team. The Seahawks got a 1st round pick in 2019 and a 2nd round pick in 2020 for Frank Clark. Had they not franchised him they would have gotten a 2020 3rd round comp pick. Big difference. The Chiefs franchised Dee Ford and then turned around and traded him for a 2nd round pick in 2020. They would have received a 2020 3rd round comp pick without a trade. Both got huge deals. Jadaveon Clowney was also franchised and traded. Clowney didn’t fetch much because he was traded during the year and after Seattle could sign him to extension. However, the Texans still got a 3rd round pick which was higher than the comp pick and 2 players from Seattle. You just can’t assume that no team would give up draft picks for BJ. Teams must think pretty highly of him if the rumors are true about him getting $18 million a year. Besides if no one traded for him we could just rescind the tag.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would make it a priority to get Dak and Cooper signed prior to the deadline to use the franchise tag and here is the main reason why:

So I could use the franchise tag on Byron Jones.

You can’t do anything until we find out what happens with the CBA. That’s what’s holding everything up we have to see what we’re dealing with. Whatever happens can’t see the Cowboys extending both Dak and Cooper and franchising Jones. With the amount it’s going to cost to sign Dak and Coop we won’t be able to pay Jones amongst the top 5 corners in the league under the tag.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 players were franchised last year and ended up getting traded and 2 signed huge contracts with their new team. The Seahawks got a 1st round pick in 2019 and a 2nd round pick in 2020 for Frank Clark. Had they not franchised him they would have gotten a 2020 3rd round comp pick. Big difference. The Chiefs franchised Dee Ford and then turned around and traded him for a 2nd round pick in 2020. They would have received a 2020 3rd round comp pick without a trade. Both got huge deals. Jadaveon Clowney was also franchised and traded. Clowney didn’t fetch much because he was traded during the year and after Seattle could sign him to extension. However, the Texans still got a 3rd round pick which was higher than the comp pick and 2 players from Seattle. You just can’t assume that no team would give up draft picks for BJ. Teams must think pretty highly of him if the rumors are true about him getting $18 million a year. Besides if no one traded for him we could just rescind the tag.

I'm well aware of what happened last year with those players. They were all pass rushers.

They can't rescind if he signs the tag. They have to be prepared to keep him if they tag him.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I would make it a priority to get Dak and Cooper signed prior to the deadline to use the franchise tag and here is the main reason why:

So I could use the franchise tag on Byron Jones. Then I would tell Byron Jones that he has 3 options. 1) Play on the franchise tag this year, 2) negotiate a team friendly deal with Dallas, or 3) seek a trade to another team. I am betting that he and his agent would opt for option number 3. We probably would not get a 1st round pick for him but I bet we could squeeze out a 2nd or 3rd rounder from some team this year which would be better than a late 3rd round comp pick in 2021. Also, we could choose to not trade him to the Giants or Eagles. We could kind of dictate where he goes. The only risk we take in this scenario is if Jones signs the franchise tag and is happy to play for $16 million a year in 2020. However, I don't think that would be the case because rumors are circulating that his starting price in free agency will average at least $16 million a year and he would be missing out on a lot of guaranteed money by playing on the franchise tag.

I expect the Dak and Cooper haters to immediately trash this thread because the whole scenario is based on paying those guys.

The Seattle defense we played longs for tall CBs who are hard to throw over and can tip the ball. Under Nolan we dont have that need anymore.

So look for lewis to have a much bigger role again. Draft another or 2 CBs and sign Brown. And you are good at CB.

We have a much bigger need at SS and DT and the impact of good players at those positions will be felt much more.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Trade Dak for a 1st or second pick
Trade cooper if he demands more than 11 mil.
Sign Brady or stafford or dalton at QB
Sign Dez for cheap
Draft Cee Dee Lamb
Trade zeke
Draft a safety and a LB

drink smoked bourbon , Garrison Brothers sounds good
Enjoy the yacht ride
Leave the office key with son stephen

Can’t trade Dak he’s an FA.
Can’t trade Cooper see above. And if you don’t think he’s getting more than 11 mil you aren’t paying attention to salaries for #1 WR’s.
Stafford is under contract as is Andy Dalton
Dez- have at it, guy is done.
CeeDee Lamb isn’t getting to 17 I don’t think
Teams aren’t giving up much for Zeke. The contract isn’t good, he plays a devalued position and the are FA RB’s available that will be cheaper. He also has a ton of carries which will take their toll.

basel90

Reaction score
Can’t trade Dak he’s an FA.
Can’t trade Cooper see above. And if you don’t think he’s getting more than 11 mil you aren’t paying attention to salaries for #1 WR’s.
Stafford is under contract as is Andy Dalton
Dez- have at it, guy is done.
CeeDee Lamb isn’t getting to 17 I don’t think
Teams aren’t giving up much for Zeke. The contract isn’t good, he plays a devalued position and the are FA RB’s available that will be cheaper. He also has a ton of carries which will take their toll.

trade Dak and cooper after slapping the franchise tag. Or let them walk if they don’t sign team Freindly deals.
Stafford or dalton are under contract but can be dealt for .
Zeke is an overpaid mistake , so yes many may not want him but dallas can probably offload him .Pollard is sufficient as replacement
Agree Cee Dee May not last that long .
Dez is a cheap filler for Gallup

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Easier said than done with a salary cap. Cooper and Jones could end up being the highest paid players in the league at their position and Dak could be near the top at his position. Jones will be the odd man out.
It is extremely easy to sign those 3 and Quinn.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

So I could use the franchise tag on Byron Jones. Then I would tell Byron Jones that he has 3 options. 1) Play on the franchise tag this year, 2) negotiate a team friendly deal with Dallas, or 3) seek a trade to another team. I am betting that he and his agent would opt for option number 3. We probably would not get a 1st round pick for him but I bet we could squeeze out a 2nd or 3rd rounder from some team this year which would be better than a late 3rd round comp pick in 2021. Also, we could choose to not trade him to the Giants or Eagles. We could kind of dictate where he goes. The only risk we take in this scenario is if Jones signs the franchise tag and is happy to play for $16 million a year in 2020. However, I don't think that would be the case because rumors are circulating that his starting price in free agency will average at least $16 million a year and he would be missing out on a lot of guaranteed money by playing on the franchise tag.

I expect the Dak and Cooper haters to immediately trash this thread because the whole scenario is based on paying those guys.

I don't have a problem with the Prescott or Cooper signings but your idea that teams will pony up a 1st and more is just a player fan who thinks the entire league thinks the same. Jones if were made available for trade would bring a 2nd round pick at best. He was a tail end 1st round pick that in 5 years has a total of exactly 2 picks. Teams want to see a minimum of 2 picks a season if they are going to give up a 1st round pick. More season picks if they are going to give up more than a 1st round pick.

Gil Brandt one time said there are 4 different values a player gets.

1) The value a fan of the team that the player plays for and their value.

2) The value fans from other teams who want their team to acquire that player and their value.

3) The value the team who has the player and what's the least they would accept for the player.

4) The value the other teams and what will be the most they will give up for that player.

He then said that 1 and 2 are seldom ever the same as 3 and 4.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
and why did we give up a #1 pick for Cooper ? because our entitled overrated QB could not win or find open receivers accurately , he needs 5 yard seperations to hit someone , and that did not even happen in crucial moments. And the #1 pick we wasted on cooper produced a mediocre performance and an invisible man act by cooper and dak in crucial games: New Orleans, New England , Philadelphia etc etc. This front office is delusional to double down on these two pretenders. Cooper is fast and talented but has no fire or competetiveness once pushed around in crucial games. He likes to excell when things are easygoing and relaxed . Same as Dak .

They are definitely two pretenders that Jerry will have us locked in to with big cap hits for the next 3-5 years. While they are underperforming and cashing their checks more failures in critical games are guaranteed.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the Prescott or Cooper signings but your idea that teams will pony up a 1st and more is just a player fan who thinks the entire league thinks the same. Jones if were made available for trade would bring a 2nd round pick at best. He was a tail end 1st round pick that in 5 years has a total of exactly 2 picks. Teams want to see a minimum of 2 picks a season if they are going to give up a 1st round pick. More season picks if they are going to give up more than a 1st round pick.

2) The value fans from other teams who want their team to acquire that player and their value.

3) The value the team who has the player and what's the least they would accept for the player.

4) The value the other teams and what will be the most they will give up for that player.

I've thought from the start that this board has mostly overvalued Jones.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I'm well aware of what happened last year with those players. They were all pass rushers.

They can't rescind if he signs the tag. They have to be prepared to keep him if they tag him.

Byron Jones and his agent would be foolish to sign the franchise tag if he were

You need to go back and read the post you just commented on. I said we would probably NOT get a 1st round pick for Jones. I said we may POSSIBLY squeeze a 2nd or 3rd round pick from some team. Even a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2021 would be better than a 3rd round 2021 compensatory pick since a comp pick comes at the end of the 3rd round. I am going to assume you misread my post.

jujoboys

Reaction score
The Seattle defense we played longs for tall CBs who are hard to throw over and can tip the ball. Under Nolan we dont have that need anymore.

So look for lewis to have a much bigger role again. Draft another or 2 CBs and sign Brown. And you are good at CB.

We have a much bigger need at SS and DT and the impact of good players at those positions will be felt much more.

You are not getting the point of this thread. The point is to franchise tag Jones and then attempt to trade him. It is not about keeping him.

kskboys

Reaction score
You are not getting the point of this thread. The point is to franchise tag Jones and then attempt to trade him. It is not about keeping him.
And the problem is, there are very very few long tall corners who can mirror a WR. Sherman is a freak of nature. Most tall CB's lack at least some lateral agility/foot quickness and are susceptible to sharp route runners. Very hard to build a D that way unless you luck into one.

jujoboys

Reaction score
And the problem is, there are very very few long tall corners who can mirror a WR. Sherman is a freak of nature. Most tall CB's lack at least some lateral agility/foot quickness and are susceptible to sharp route runners. Very hard to build a D that way unless you luck into one.

I'm not sure what your argument is. I think Jones is overrated and would never pay him the money he will command in free agency. However, there are teams out there reportedly willing to pay $18 million a year for him. Go to an Eagles' forum, they are drooling over the thought of signing him. I would just like for Dallas to somehow get in position to trade Jones and take advantage of some of these teams that seem to be all in for Byron Jones. It is doubtful that it could happen because we need Dak and Cooper both signed so we can slap the franchise tag on Jones. We have a player that teams want/covet and I would just like a chance to take advantage of it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Byron Jones and his agent would be foolish to sign the franchise tag if he were

You need to go back and read the post you just commented on. I said we would probably NOT get a 1st round pick for Jones. I said we may POSSIBLY squeeze a 2nd or 3rd round pick from some team. Even a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2021 would be better than a 3rd round 2021 compensatory pick since a comp pick comes at the end of the 3rd round. I am going to assume you misread my post.

No, I didn't misread it.

If they could get a 3rd in the 2020 draft that is better than a 3rd round comp pick which would be in the 2021 draft. We appear to agree on that.

The question comes back to "if" they could get a pick.

A team would have to prefer BJ to all free agent options before they would give up both a premium pick AND a huge contract to get him. For 16M+ per year I'm certain a team could find a decent free agent CB without giving up picks.

DLaw played 2018 on the Franchise Tag and he signed it without hesitation.

The Cowboys have to be prepared for the possibility that BJ would sign the Tag.

My preference would be to just keep him on the Tag for 2020 then draft some CBs to be ready for 2021. That would give the new coaches time to see BJ and to see the draft picks & all other options.