My view on what's happening with Dak

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
During a recent interview, Dak admitted he was willing to bet on himself....again. That tells me he already has a ballpark or general idea of how high Stephen and Jerry are willing to go and don't like it. I personally think he is motivated to test free agency unless they make him an offer he can't refuse.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If this is true...and I don't care either way...why have both him and Trey Lance on the roster? If you are letting him walk at seasons end...then that means you ALREADY know what you got ..so let's find out what we don't know about Lance.
Lance is Jerrys security blanket, he knows he made a huge mistake with Daks contract and decision, Lance is a hopeful prayer for Jerry trying to save some face on a fall back option plan B.
Lance likes the landscape with Dak being his only competition.
Lance could be a bust too, but who wouldn't want to be in his position on this roster?
I ask that honestly.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I have zero doubt that the Cowboys want to keep Dak. Fisher keeps saying, well if you love him as you say, then sign him. Well, it aint that simple.

If signing Dak today means giving Dak 60 million per season, say 4 years 240 million, Dallas doesn't think he's worth that. I agree with that assessment. So why would they sign the guy for that kind of money when they think that is too much. So they let him play this coming season and Dak goes 11-6, or maybe even 12-5 again, and then he lays an egg and we lose the 1st playoff game again. You think anyone would give him 60 million a year if that happens? I dont.

So at that point, lets say he gets 53 million per... then it was a win for thr FO for not giving in to his ridiculous current demand of 60 million.

But, lets say Dak has another MVP worthy season and takes us to the NFC title game. If that were to happen, Dallas would gladly pony up 60 million per season. If all things are equal, Dak is not bolting Dallas to go play for city XXX. His agent isnt stupid. Dak gets massive endorsement deals playing for Dallas that he would never get playing for city XXX. So IMO, he would take the deal with Dallas over team X... if the dollars are close.

It is a win, win for our FO. If Dak stumbles and this team is mediocre and finishes at 9-8 or 8-9, the decision is now made for them. The doubts some have within the organization have turned out correct and thye simply will have had enough and they let him walk.

I dont want to hear how we didnt put enough around Dak if we go 8-9. So a top 5 WR, an outstanding young TE, a supposed O line that should be very good, again. Cooks is a solid number 2. The run game should be fine.... every year we see teams number 1 go down and some nobody steps in and does really good.

So again, I just think this is part of doing business. And while many say Dak has all the leverage, Ill agree...if we win 11 or more games and have some success in the playoffs. Less than that, and our FO wont want him anyways, and they then have all the leverage as the deal with be completed and they just let him walk. Criticizing our FO for not getting a deal done is nuts IMO. Because Dak isnt signing a deal for less than 60 million today, and Im pretty sure everyone in here agrees he aint worth 60 million per season.

One last thing.... Dak has tried to hold this team hostage at every opportunity. Mahomes could back up the truck and simply tell the chiefs I want this amount of money. There would be no negotiations... it would simply be done. Is Mahomes doing that to the Chiefs?
Good analysis.

One-point I would add.
Dallas had Dak on a cheap rookie deal his first few years as a starter.
I think that's why he is going for every dime he can get now.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Lance is Jerrys security blanket, he knows he made a huge mistake with Daks contract and decision, Lance is a hopeful prayer for Jerry trying to save some face on a fall back option plan B.
Lance likes the landscape with Dak being his only competition.
Lance could be a bust too, but who wouldn't want to be in his position on this roster?
I ask that honestly.
Dak Prescott

plymkr

Reaction score
It’s probably somewhere between 55-60. 55 was Market Price last year. No reason to believe it’s going down.

I’m not advocating to resign him but not sure if 3-5 million is a deal breaker if you believe he’s your guy. Which they probably think he is.
I believe Fish has stated several times that the asking price is 60 million. Now I don’t know if Fish heard this from a source, is making an educated guess, or just being Fish. But Fish often states it’s 60 million APY. You know in between bad Jerry impressions, selling merchandise and his singing. So who knows.

plymkr

Reaction score
When Kirk Cousins was a free agent from Washington, Minnesota made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football. No one thought at that time he was a top 10 qb.

When Deshaun Watson was available in trade, Cleveland made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football, despite the accusations and knowing he’d have to be suspended.

When SF traded for Jimmy Garoppolo, he only played 6 games there before they were forced to re-sign him. SF made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football rather than let him test free agency. No one believed Jimmy was a top 10 QB.

Dak Prescott’s next contract is going to be in the 60’s, whether it comes from Dallas or someone else. He doesn’t need to win MVP or get Dallas to the NFCCG or even win 10 regular season games. That’s the way this works; there are teams that are QB desperate and a little cap sacrifice is a small price to pay to get out of the dog house.
This is what scares me. When Minnesota, Cleveland and SF made these moves it didn’t work out for them. SF got bailed out by Purdy and Purdy saved them from 2 blunders in Garrapolo and trading the house for Lance.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
During a recent interview, Dak admitted he was willing to bet on himself....again. That tells me he already has a ballpark or general idea of how high Stephen and Jerry are willing to go and don't like it. I personally think he is motivated to test free agency unless they make him an offer he can't refuse.
If he's not giving a Home Town Discount, why are we keeping him around in 2024?

I agree with you, unless he's blown away with an offer, he's destined to hit free agency, to maximize his earnings (fair enough).......so why keep him, when it's universally accepted that we've an inferior roster, harder schedule and divisional opponents have improved.

I doubt we'll get a trade partner.....any team trading for him will expect an extension, so the next best is to cut him (cough, cough Pre-June, taking the whole CAP hit in 2024.....freeing up net $30m in 2025 CAP)......we can decide on whether to enter the Dak sweepstake in 2025 (in a much better financial/CAP position to incorporate a big contract).

One-point I would add.
Dallas had Dak on a cheap rookie deal his first few years as a starter.
I think that's why he is going for every dime he can get now.
But that's the same for every player, that's not a criticism of Dak, and if it's money he wants, that's fine, but cutting him now actually means he loses the $29m 2024 salary......no point in paying him, if we've little chance of achieving.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is what scares me. When Minnesota, Cleveland and SF made these moves it didn’t work out for them. SF got bailed out by Purdy and Purdy saved them from 2 blunders in Garrapolo and trading the house for Lance.
Building through the roster.....rather than the QB. The 2016 gave Dak comfortable introduction into the NFL.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you were a Center who got blasted back into the QB? LOL. Yeah, yap yap yap dude.
Yep. I was truthful. On the other hand, you did not know squat about Cooper Beebe. Other members spoke about Beebe's potential as a Center. You spoke from your ignorance and shot fellow members' opinions down for even suggesting he could not play the position for something as simple as you not knowing he took snaps at the position in college--which is a common coaching practice for practically all offensive linemen at some point and at all levels of the sport.

Someone made a claim Beebe practiced taking snaps? That was immediately challenged by you. The fellow member had to 'prove it' to you. Since then, you have begun a typical 180 since others provided you knowledge indicating Beebe as a probable starting center. After-the-fact, you searched and obtained information proactively (link) of Beebe's viability at the position--a stance you could have taken from the beginning.

That is who you are and how you react, especially when it comes to Dak Prescott. Keep yap yapping dude. Yap yap.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yep. I was truthful. On the other hand, you did not know squat about Cooper Beebe. Other members spoke about Beebe's potential as a Center. You spoke from your ignorance and shot fellow members' opinions down for even suggesting he could not play the position for something as simple as you not knowing he took snaps at the position in college--which is a common coaching practice for practically all offensive linemen at some point and at all levels of the sport.

Someone made a claim Beebe practiced taking snaps? That was immediately challenged by you. The fellow member had to 'prove it' to you. Since then, you have begun a typical 180 since others provided you knowledge indicating Beebe as a probable starting center. After-the-fact, you searched and obtained information proactively (link) of Beebe's viability at the position--a stance you could taken from the beginning.

That is who you are and how you react, especially when it comes to Dak Prescott. Keep yap yapping dude. Yap yap.
This is beautiful.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The biggest gift Jerry can give us now is to cut him post-June 1st, and we start to depart from the fraud that will be known as the Dak era.
I disagree, I would like them to restructure some salaries and get enough cap space together to make it a pre June 1st cut, we save more cap space that way next year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have zero doubt that the Cowboys want to keep Dak. Fisher keeps saying, well if you love him as you say, then sign him. Well, it aint that simple.

If signing Dak today means giving Dak 60 million per season, say 4 years 240 million, Dallas doesn't think he's worth that. I agree with that assessment. So why would they sign the guy for that kind of money when they think that is too much. So they let him play this coming season and Dak goes 11-6, or maybe even 12-5 again, and then he lays an egg and we lose the 1st playoff game again. You think anyone would give him 60 million a year if that happens? I dont.

So at that point, lets say he gets 53 million per... then it was a win for thr FO for not giving in to his ridiculous current demand of 60 million.

But, lets say Dak has another MVP worthy season and takes us to the NFC title game. If that were to happen, Dallas would gladly pony up 60 million per season. If all things are equal, Dak is not bolting Dallas to go play for city XXX. His agent isnt stupid. Dak gets massive endorsement deals playing for Dallas that he would never get playing for city XXX. So IMO, he would take the deal with Dallas over team X... if the dollars are close.

It is a win, win for our FO. If Dak stumbles and this team is mediocre and finishes at 9-8 or 8-9, the decision is now made for them. The doubts some have within the organization have turned out correct and thye simply will have had enough and they let him walk.

I dont want to hear how we didnt put enough around Dak if we go 8-9. So a top 5 WR, an outstanding young TE, a supposed O line that should be very good, again. Cooks is a solid number 2. The run game should be fine.... every year we see teams number 1 go down and some nobody steps in and does really good.

So again, I just think this is part of doing business. And while many say Dak has all the leverage, Ill agree...if we win 11 or more games and have some success in the playoffs. Less than that, and our FO wont want him anyways, and they then have all the leverage as the deal with be completed and they just let him walk. Criticizing our FO for not getting a deal done is nuts IMO. Because Dak isnt signing a deal for less than 60 million today, and Im pretty sure everyone in here agrees he aint worth 60 million per season.

One last thing.... Dak has tried to hold this team hostage at every opportunity. Mahomes could back up the truck and simply tell the chiefs I want this amount of money. There would be no negotiations... it would simply be done. Is Mahomes doing that to the Chiefs?
We have to get the O-Line and run game cranked up. He obviously needs more talent around him than some other starting QBs. But he can get it done. Add some more time in the pocket and a run game and it will help the Offense. The Defense has to keep up and stop the run this year..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I believe Fish has stated several times that the asking price is 60 million. Now I don’t know if Fish heard this from a source, is making an educated guess, or just being Fish. But Fish often states its 60 million APY. You know in between bad Jerry impressions, selling merchandise and his singing. So who knows.
There’s been no official word on the exact figures being negotiated.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
For Herbert things like you listed are "reasons".

For Dak Prescott people here would call those same things "excuses". Dak did not have a great coach for four years with Jason Garrett (and some argue McCarthy) and certainly the Rod Marinelli defenses back then provided little support. Mahomes and Burrow led teams to the Super Bowl with a terrible or beat up offensive line; but how many of the league's 32 starting QB's are on their level?

Dak would have had a couple more playoff wins- like against the Packers his rookie year and the Rams in 2018- had the defense performed better. He was not the issue in those games. Now, he did not play well enough against the 49ers in 2021-22 and certainly not against Green Bay last year. But there were so many breakdowns elsewhere on the team it's hard to say if a better game by Dak would have even mattered anyway.

This is what makes it so hard to evaluate Dak. By all accounts statistically, he has been a top ten or even top 5 QB ever since the second half of the 2018 season. There have been times he has failed. There have been just as many times the Cowboys have failed him.

And if the Cowboys get rid of Dak next year the odds are heavily against them upgrading. Barring a complete implosion this season, the Cowboys are going to cave in and pay Dak. This is how they do business- sit around, wait and wait and wait, then end up overpaying.
If they get rid of Dak, the upgrade you are missing is the extra cap space that can be used to bolster the defense, maybe RB too next year. As we have seen with Rush, this team can have a high winning percentage with a better run game/ defense. Getting a QB that is even just 80% of the talent of Dak, but literally give us 30-40 million of extra cap space is worth it. Think about how Dak fans say here....We can win with Dak if we bolster the other aspects of the team....When we know that is difficult (especially with our FO skills) if Dak wants anything north of 40 million / year. That's my cut-off number.

The smartest thing to do really is to clear up cap space now and cut Dak pre-June 1st, clearing our 2025 cap for next year. That would be "all-in" to me.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If he's not giving a Home Town Discount, why are we keeping him around in 2024?

I agree with you, unless he's blown away with an offer, he's destined to hit free agency, to maximize his earnings (fair enough).......so why keep him, when it's universally accepted that we've an inferior roster, harder schedule and divisional opponents have improved.
+1
It's why I am convinced
  1. Jerry wanna pay him but knows he can't sell the salary he's seeking to fans/media. I can see Stephen telling him fans/media would boo him out of the stadium if they give him a long-term deal $60M prior to the season.
  2. Unless he has a season-ending injury, there are only two ways this thing will end........Jerry paying him what he wants OR him becoming a free agent.