Name Brand Or Not?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Old Milwaukee 3 quarts for a Dollar Was the best beer ever until I got a job They made a beer in the 70's came in a white can with windmills on it cant remember the name You could get a case for 3 dollars and it was really not nasty In the 70's Wellers was cheap until they figgert out it was good and jacked the price up Schlitz sucked then and sucks now Bimbo bread was a nice discount bread still good but not the cheap off named bread anymore I buy cheap peanut butter in Oklahoma the stuff is great sure saver or sumfin like that government issue version of Velveeta is really good my daughter gets it it's great And last but not least Bob Evans mashed taders microwave brand those dang things are as good as home made and cheep

The 2 that I can think of is Dutch Windmill and Van Merritt. Those ring a bell?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The 2 that I can think of is Dutch Windmill and Van Merritt. Those ring a bell?
Yep I think it was Van Merritt been a long time Googled it yep
c5ba531f6c4402e57073c59984b1e444.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea it is had to open it with one of these
1935_Krueger_s_Beer_I-7_Keglined_Can_Opener.jpg
Hey, you couldn't have a chugging contest without that. And not many guys were crushing beer cans with their foreheads back then. Damned things would give them a concussion.

For the younger posters that didn't live in that magical time, guys would open the top with about three punches to make a wide mouth (I think Mickey's stole that) and not put a hole on the opposite side which they usually did to allow the airflow. They would put the church key on the bottom, turn it up and punch a hole and literally open their throat and pour the beer down in under 3 seconds. I was never a chugger or really a beer hound but I had frat brothers that could easily put down a case of beer in less than 4 hours.

And back in the 60's, you were a Bud or Schlitz guy in AR or a closet PBR guy. My grandfather was all about price on beer and bought the most Godawful crap you could get down, Champagne Velvet, Stag and Falstaff. Falstaff was famous as they sponsored baseball and had a cartoon mascot of a little guy with a mug with a head on it, nothing wrong with that, is there? "Hey Daddy, screw the Trix rabbit and Tony the Tiger, I want a Falstaff for breakfast".

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Hey, you couldn't have a chugging contest without that. And not many guys were crushing beer cans with their foreheads back then. Damned things would give them a concussion.

For the younger posters that didn't live in that magical time, guys would open the top with about three punches to make a wide mouth (I think Mickey's stole that) and not put a hole on the opposite side which they usually did to allow the airflow. They would put the church key on the bottom, turn it up and punch a hole and literally open their throat and pour the beer down in under 3 seconds. I was never a chugger or really a beer hound but I had frat brothers that could easily put down a case of beer in less than 4 hours.

And back in the 60's, you were a Bud or Schlitz guy in AR or a closet PBR guy. My grandfather was all about price on beer and bought the most Godawful crap you could get down, Champagne Velvet, Stag and Falstaff. Falstaff was famous as they sponsored baseball and had a cartoon mascot of a little guy with a mug with a head on it, nothing wrong with that, is there? "Hey Daddy, screw the Trix rabbit and Tony the Tiger, I want a Falstaff for breakfast".
I beat Paul Newman in a chugging contesHloe looked at me and asked how the curs word did you drink that beer that fast told him I dint drink it I poured it

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Old Milwaukee 3 quarts for a Dollar Was the best beer ever until I got a job They made a beer in the 70's came in a white can with windmills on it cant remember the name You could get a case for 3 dollars and it was really not nasty In the 70's Wellers was cheap until they figgert out it was good and jacked the price up Schlitz sucked then and sucks now Bimbo bread was a nice discount bread still good but not the cheap off named bread anymore I buy cheap peanut butter in Oklahoma the stuff is great sure saver or sumfin like that government issue version of Velveeta is really good my daughter gets it it's great And last but not least Bob Evans mashed taders microwave brand those dang things are as good as home made and cheep
Wow... wow. Lol. Right on brother!

Passepartout

Reaction score
I only go for a few brand names. As they are so expensive. Just never at all got to that of such a big deal on like Gucci or that of Gap.
Love Levi's and used to love Reebok's.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must admit it, I was a rocker but I did get into disco because I was a dancer too. But I never, oh no never, listened to the lyrics.

And I know it's coming so I will save you the typing. Yes, I had platforms, a couple of leisure suits, Nik-Nik silks shirts and several chains that I wore but hey, I drew the line at a Geno Vannelli chest wig.

But I balanced this out by being at the Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in 1979. I was in broadcast services at the time and we syndicated the All Disco format out of WKTU in NYC.

What's funny is to hear some younger people, my son's ages, heavy into Electronica, Techno and Trance in Austin laughing about disco music. Just where the hell do they think all of that came from? And just like back in the day, that music draws the hottest women.