NASCAR 2012 Season Thread

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Risen Star;4687484 said:
As opposed to making the last 10 races meaningful for maybe 2 or 3 drivers, like the old formula. That's why they changed it. They want more drivers in the mix down the final stretch of the season. I've read before that they have considered bunching them back up again halfway through the chase.

It's basically creating a tight points race through rules and not performance on the track.

I don't like the system and think they should just award points based on the finish and total them up instead of saying hey, we are starting all over again.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;4687491 said:
I don't like the system and think they should just award points based on the finish and total them up instead of saying hey, we are starting all over again.

That would crown the real champion. I agree with you. I would love to be able to ask Dale Earnhardt what he thinks of this chase system. I'm confident he'd give me the gas face.

But I understand why they did it. It creates more interest.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I was king for a day in Nascar I'd go back to the old system but I'd make winning races earn substantially more points than they did before. Points racing can make for boring racing where guys get conservative and ride around for a decent finish. Make them have to win to have any realistic chance to be champion.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Risen Star;4687515 said:
If I was king for a day in Nascar I'd go back to the old system but I'd make winning races earn substantially more points than they did before. Points racing can make for boring racing where guys get conservative and ride around for a decent finish. Make them have to win to have any realistic chance to be champion.

I think fans have felt that winning wasnt rewarded enough under the old system. Maybe, maybe not.

I agree with you tho. The old system + bigger rewards for winning races = the way to go.

The chase has ruined nascar IMO. Yeah it may have created some more buzz and interest from the masses but it has hurt the sport in the long run. The championships dont seem to have as much meaning/value as they did under the old system. Under the old system the guy who won at the end of the year was the best. With the chase, well, look at the Kurt Busch championship - meaningless really.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WPBCowboysFan;4687567 said:
I think fans have felt that winning wasnt rewarded enough under the old system. Maybe, maybe not.

I agree with you tho. The old system + bigger rewards for winning races = the way to go.

The chase has ruined nascar IMO. Yeah it may have created some more buzz and interest from the masses but it has hurt the sport in the long run. The championships dont seem to have as much meaning/value as they did under the old system. Under the old system the guy who won at the end of the year was the best. With the chase, well, look at the Kurt Busch championship - meaningless really.

I'd love to see who would have won the championship under the old system in comparison to who won the chase set up.

How many of those chase winners would have still won using the old points? That would be interesting.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Risen Star;4687590 said:
I'd love to see who would have won the championship under the old system in comparison to who won the chase set up.

How many of those chase winners would have still won using the old points? That would be interesting.

I would think that that info is somewhere. Im sure nascar has the data. Is it anywhere for the public? Dont know. It would be interesting.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WPBCowboysFan;4687863 said:
I would think that that info is somewhere. Im sure nascar has the data. Is it anywhere for the public? Dont know. It would be interesting.

I saw it referenced one time that the year Busch won, which I think was the first Chase year, he would have finished 3rd in points under the old system and that Jeff Gordon would have won it that year. At least I think it was Gordon.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Risen Star;4687884 said:
I saw it referenced one time that the year Busch won, which I think was the first Chase year, he would have finished 3rd in points under the old system and that Jeff Gordon would have won it that year. At least I think it was Gordon.

I think Kurt Busch entered the chase in the 7th position. So a 3rd place finish would have been a good move up.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Risen Star;4687515 said:

this! for God's sake this. Freaking chase/playoffs with guys that have no wins. damn

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought for sure I'd see some Gordon fans in here rejoicing.

1 point over Kyle Busch. While I like the result I think Nascar should have postponed that race until Sunday. I don't know why you want to work around the rain and mess up the entire race that sets your playoff field.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Risen Star;4719218 said:

1 point over Kyle Busch. While I like the result I think Nascar should have postponed that race until Sunday. I don't know why you want to work around the rain and mess up the entire race that sets your playoff field.

NASCAR will say that the fans who have traveled there cant all stay until the next day. TV scheduling blah, blah, blah.

I used to travel to a fair amount of races and a change of day for the race would really mess you up. Getting back for work + extra money to stay at a hotel/motel etc. Assuming your room hasnt been reserved for somebody else already . . . . . . .

The Gordon fans will climb out from under their rocks if he has a good chase.

Questfor6

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;4719600 said:
NASCAR will say that the fans who have traveled there cant all stay until the next day. TV scheduling blah, blah, blah.

I used to travel to a fair amount of races and a change of day for the race would really mess you up. Getting back for work + extra money to stay at a hotel/motel etc. Assuming your room hasnt been reserved for somebody else already . . . . . . .

I was at the race this weekend & the people in charge at ESPN were the ones who wanted that race to finished so late Saturday night/Sunday morning, b/c they didn't want to go against the NFL on opening weekend. I can tell you from sitting in the stands that it never quit raining even after the red flag.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Questfor6;4720321 said:
I was at the race this weekend & the people in charge at ESPN were the ones who wanted that race to finished so late Saturday night/Sunday morning, b/c they didn't want to go against the NFL on opening weekend. I can tell you from sitting in the stands that it never quit raining even after the red flag.

Is the traffic still horrific getting out after the race?

Questfor6

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;4720330 said:
Is the traffic still horrific getting out after the race?

I didn't have any problem b/c my buddy lives down in Richmond so he knew all the back streets out of the track. As for everyone else? Traffic still sucks

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Questfor6;4720516 said:
I didn't have any problem b/c my buddy lives down in Richmond so he knew all the back streets out of the track. As for everyone else? Traffic still sucks

The last time I was there it was awful. Its enough reason not to go there IMO.

Also, IMO its a better race to watch on TV than go to. Seems boring too often when your there. Combine the boredom factor with the traffic and I didnt renew my tix. Used to have decent tix for both races.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Risen Star;4719218 said:

I'm glad and was surprised he made it in but I highly doubt he'll end up in the top ten in points.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;4720633 said:
I'm glad and was surprised he made it in but I highly doubt he'll end up in the top ten in points.

I think he will. He's had a tremendous amount of bad luck this year. He's run like a top 10 car throughout the entire season. Could have easily won a couple more races by now.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WPBCowboysFan;4719600 said:

Yeah, I'm sure that's how Nascar will justify it and I suppose it has merit but I'm a lifelong traveling race fan and speaking strictly for myself I would rather see a whole race unaffected by the rain aspect to it (Should we pit? Stay out? What's the radar look like?), even if it means I have to make arrangements to stay another day.

As for the fans who couldn't stay another day, why are they more important than the millions of fans watching on TV? How many Kyle Busch fans were happy with that decision?

I'm glad that Gordon's in and Kyle's out but I do think he kind of got screwed in this whole deal.

Hamlin and Kahne had the two best cars Saturday night. They were 1-2 on the track. The rain came at the wrong time. They stayed out anticipating the race being called while most of the rest of the field pitted. The rain stopped. They lost the race right there.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Risen Star;4720677 said:
Yeah, I'm sure that's how Nascar will justify it and I suppose it has merit but I'm a lifelong traveling race fan and speaking strictly for myself I would rather see a whole race unaffected by the rain aspect to it (Should we pit? Stay out? What's the radar look like?), even if it means I have to make arrangements to stay another day.

As for the fans who couldn't stay another day, why are they more important than the millions of fans watching on TV? How many Kyle Busch fans were happy with that decision?

I'm glad that Gordon's in and Kyle's out but I do think he kind of got screwed in this whole deal.

Hamlin and Kahne had the two best cars Saturday night. They were 1-2 on the track. The rain came at the wrong time. They stayed out anticipating the race being called while most of the rest of the field pitted. The rain stopped. They lost the race right there.

The rain just ruins it overall, from all angles.

I agree that when you're there you want to see a full race. It really sux traveling to see a race and then get jipped in a sense.

Just from a competitive standpoint you hate to see the rain determine the outcome.

Im not sure there is a good answer to the rain problems at a race.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Anyone here going to Charlotte on October 13th for the night race?