NBA Draft

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some in the next 5 picks is gonna take Giles IMO and that could be big. He is a guy before the season started people thought could be the top pick

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some thoughts:

Winners to me are Dallas and Minnesota. Dallas got incredible value in Smith. He has his issues, but he is a guy you generally arent getting outside the top 5. Minnesota got a guy that is 1) Probably going want to stay there as long as Thib is coaching 2) Probably gets that team into the playoffs and provides a breakthrough for the Wiggins/KAT. 3) Improved Minnesota's chances of retaining Wiggins and KAT when they are eligible for FA.

Loser to me is Chicago IMO. To me that is not a good haul. I think Markkanen has the most bust potential in the top 10. Levine is an interesting young player, but that knee injury could really slow his development. Kris Dunn was the most disappointing top 5 pick from 2016, and as a 22 year old rookie he may just not be a quality NBA talent

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'm disappointed that Boston couldn't make a move for Porzingis. The Gordon Hawyard signing will make even less sense now that they added yet another SF in Tatum. They'll have Hawyward, Crowder, Tatum and Brown all fighting for basically the same position. By flipping Brown and/or Crowder and the 3rd pick for Porzingis, they could've had a lineup of Porzingis - Horford - Hawyward - Bradley - Thomas.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm disappointed that Boston couldn't make a move for Porzingis. The Gordon Hawyard signing will make even less sense now that they added yet another SF in Tatum. They'll have Hawyward, Crowder, Tatum and Brown all fighting for basically the same position. By flipping Brown and/or Crowder and the 3rd pick for Porzingis, they could've had a lineup of Porzingis - Horford - Hawyward - Bradley - Thomas.
I can see them going after Griffen instead of Hayword now

Knicks wanted both Nets picks, Brown and Crowder. Ainge wasnt giving that up

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I can see them going after Griffen instead of Hayword now

Knicks wanted both Nets picks, Brown and Crowder. Ainge wasnt giving that up

I would've done it. You need stars in this league. Crowder is a role player, and there's no guarantee those picks and Brown would've turned out to be anything more. Porzingis is a freak and a guy you can build around. He would also make it tempting for Hawyward to sign. Boston would have the best starting 5 in the East and be the closest team with a chance to knock of Golden State.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would've done it. You need stars in this league. Crowder is a role player, and there's no guarantee those picks and Brown would've turned out to be anything more. Porzingis is a freak and a guy you can build around. He would also make it tempting for Hawyward to sign. Boston would have the best starting 5 in the East and be the closest team with a chance to knock of Golden State.
To me thats way too much for anyone south of Davis. Im not giving up lottery assets unless Im getting a top 5ish player in his early prime. Ainge isnt in any big hurry to deal any assets. They have said they dont want to build a team with a 4 year window, they want to build a team with a 12 year window. Hell they turned down Butler for the 3rd straight up

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how Smith develops as a floor general/distributor.Shoot first PGs scare me as centerpieces to build around.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Me too!!!! Dude doesn't give a ****!!! And people get so, so mad at him!! Lmao :laugh:
I dont mind that part of him but the part that makes himself the story instead of his kids talent? I hate that.
Also hate that he gambled 10 million of his kids money building a "brand".

But, maybe it all works out fine as he is a Laker now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
To me thats way too much for anyone south of Davis. Im not giving up lottery assets unless Im getting a top 5ish player in his early prime. Ainge isnt in any big hurry to deal any assets. They have said they dont want to build a team with a 4 year window, they want to build a team with a 12 year window. Hell they turned down Butler for the 3rd straight up
tough call imho.
thats a boatload.
porzi is a star to build around.
the kind of top of the roster player everyone in the league truly wants.
most lottery picks turn into roster filler.
boston is loaded with assets and at some point they'll have more assets than seats.
but if you make that trade you gotta know porz is your guy going forward.
he's the new face of the franchise and the team starts being built around him.

im not a celts fan but would trust ainge running my team anyway.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Dennis Smith to the Mavs.
I stated about 6-7 months ago Dallas had to get the 2 hardest positions filled: PG and C.
They've since added Nerlens Noel and Dennis Smith Jr.
That's one heck of a job IMHO.

Dallas now has defensive guys in Noel/Matthews
And scorers with DSJ and Curry to go with Harrison Barnes who is a pretty good 2 way guy.
You've got enough to compete and a lot of younger guys who will only improve.