NBA Offseason

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Lakers are looking for shooters and players that are versatile, with their picks (especially at #25). According to Jessie Buss.

Who said he wasn't? I think they just want more shooters on the team to surround Lebron, etc. As for centers btw, Zubac has more muscle mass from what I've seen in his workouts. He looks like he is on the Randle strength program from last year, lol.

Looks like they drafted a big man in the 1st rd. I had a feeling they would.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
As a Mavs fan I am so used to draft misery. Getting the most ready-made player in this draft is insane.

I also LOVE the trade not taking on cap space and indicating they will try to win every game possible next year.
I cant watch abject tanking. Running out 4 power forward lineups and such just to ensure a loss is painful.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Not a Mavs fan, but I like their draft. I was on record heading into the year that I was on the Doncic bandwagon. He’s a basketball savant, offensively. Best pick and roll prospect I've ever seen. It's insane. And they got a solid backup PG option.

I also like what Philly did. Traded Bridges for a guy with higher upside and netted the Heat first rounder. Shamet will provide outside shooting and another ball handset. Thought Thomas was a good pick too. Will be interesting to see what they do in the backcourt now. And worth taking a flier on Giannis younger brother.

Puzzled by Charlotte trading out of SGA. Thought that was a perfect fit next to Monk. Then, look to trade Kemba and start rebuilding again.

With 2 1sr

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Phone is acting up...

Anyways, Clips nailed their first 1st rounder. Think Walker was a better choice for their second. Spurs are going to have a nice young backcourt.

The Bulls had a meh draft. This was, at best, a 6 person draft (I’d argue 5). He fits next to Markkanen. Bulls were trying to trade up for Bagley or JJJ, but weren’t willing to pay the price. Hutchison is somewhat intriguing. Decent size and length. Improving shot. Attacks the basket. We’ll see. They made the best of the hand they were dealt... but it’s tough to swallow a year of tanking for WCJ.

Also, not enamored with Porter as a prospect. Glad the Bulls stayed away.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I like all three players the Mavs brought in. And Doncic fits perfectly.

Find a team that Doncic doesn’t fit perfectly on.

Sorry.... a little bitter on that. Knew it wasn’t going to happen, but still was pulling for it. Kind of wish Denver would have landed him. The clinic him and Jokic could have put on together passing...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you would like your team to pay 15 million a year to a PG that is

- ball dominant and inefficient
- cant shoot
- cant defend
- probably cant speak english
- 1st Team All Ugly As ****

Then Dennis Schroder is available

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
a week to free agency and now that the drafts over teams directions, and holes are more clear.
and we are all officially on LBJ watch.
after that all the other dominoes fall.

what do you see for your teams?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A quick list of players I'd be wary of:
1. Paul George. To me PG13 is a border-line All-Star and yes I know he's been a virtual lock for the game but going forward I believe that gets real iffy. 21pts and 6rebounds and 3 assists to me is not great. He can score but doesn't create for others and he can't really rebound. He was a defensive whiz early in his career, rebounding aside, but that has drastically fallen off. He will turn 28 next year and I'm just not sure I'd want to give him a Max money plus years deal.
2. CP3. Paul is ultra competitive and he plays hard. But he's also a little dude and his body feels that effort. He turns 34 next year... whew. I would absolutely not want to pay him 30+M at age 37 or 38. He'd quickly become untradeable and an albatross imho.
3. Dwight Howard. Doubt any need to explain. His game and the league have changed and neither has helped DH.
4. Rajon Rondo. Rondo is a weird dude to say the least but he's been on 4 teams in 5 years and at 32 no longer worth the headache.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
a week to free agency and now that the drafts over teams directions, and holes are more clear.
and we are all officially on LBJ watch.
after that all the other dominoes fall.

what do you see for your teams?
If it's true that the Lakers were/are trying to talk to the Spurs for Leonard than i would guess the Lakers also want Lebron and they want Leonard to play SG and Lebron to play PF leaving Ingram at SF and Ball at PG. If this is what the Lakers FO wants i think they are going to let Randle walk because Randle won't want to come off the bench when he can start on almost any other team and that's why the Lakers drafted a PF who can come off the bench. Problem is what are the Lakers going to do at Center, i don't think they believe in Zubac as a starter. Do the Lakers want to go small and start Randle at Center, in that case they might resign Randle.

How this will actually all play out i have no idea.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If it's true that the Lakers were/are trying to talk to the Spurs for Leonard than i would guess the Lakers also want Lebron and they want Leonard to play SG and Lebron to play PF leaving Ingram at SF and Ball at PG. If this is what the Lakers FO wants i think they are going to let Randle walk because Randle won't want to come off the bench when he can start on almost any other team and that's why the Lakers drafted a PF who can come off the bench. Problem is what are the Lakers going to do at Center, i don't think they believe in Zubac as a starter. Do the Lakers want to go small and start Randle at Center, in that case they might resign Randle.

How this will actually all play out i have no idea.
Lakers are gonna be so interesting because they have a lot of options.
Spurs shutting down all Kawhi talks isn't ideal for sure but that may change.
I wonder if they may try to slow play the year and push things a year.

But again for them it really comes down to LBJ. Will LeBron decide NOW and make them aware so they can maneuver?

Randle is like a very poor man's LeBron. They are very unlikely to play together.

The Lakers should be more than fine and are heading in the right direction regardless of what happens.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
For the Bulls, retain Nwaba. He’s a RFA.

Lavine is an interesting case. I’m actuallly ok with letting him walk.

Once again, the Bulls have too many bigs. Felicio, Lopez, Markkanen, Portis, Carter, Asik, and depending on what they do, Vonleh.

I’d explore a trade of Lopez for anything.
Asik could be trade fodder since he is an expecting. Maybe we can take on salary (lol) with an asset.

Basically, the big rotation should be Portis, Markkanen, Carter, Felicio (blah) and if they really want, a re-signed Vonleh.

I wouldn’t bring back Lavine unless it’s on a one year deal.

Tank another year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Once again, the Bulls have too many bigs. Felicio, Lopez, Markkanen, Portis, Carter, Asik, and depending on what they do, Vonleh.

Asik could be trade fodder since he is an expecting. Maybe we can take on salary (lol) with an asset.

Basically, the big rotation should be Portis, Markkanen, Carter, Felicio (blah) and if they really want, a re-signed Vonleh.

Tank another year.
Lauri was a heck of a pick and Wendell Carter can play.
Bulls are building.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lauri was a heck of a pick and Wendell Carter can play.
Bulls are building.
Carter got overshadowed buy some of the more glamorous bigs, but he has an Al Horford Plus tool kit and justifiably could have gone higher.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Tank another year.
Id like to see you guys add another PG amd utilize Dunn in a similar way we use Smart.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Carter got overshadowed buy some of the more glamorous bigs, but he has an Al Horford Plus tool kit and justifiably could have gone higher.
Mavs reportedly loved him.
He supposedly had a stellar workout for the team.
If they sat at 5 there were rumors he woulda been the guy.
they were never taking young given dsj and they were scared of bamba's long development curve.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ben looks like the best player of the last few classes but I hate the rookie rules allowing a 2nd year guy to win this award.

Spending a year training and adjusting to the league is a massive advantage.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Didn’t know anything about doncic prior to the draft but there is no doubt he’s intriguing.

Dunno if euro players still get a bad rap but I like that he was league mvp and euro champ in the same year.

I imagine the euro competition may be a step down from the nba but not by much because a lot of former nba players play overseas.

Mavs may be worth watching again sooner rather than later. :D

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Didn’t know anything about doncic prior to the draft but there is no doubt he’s intriguing.

Dunno if euro players still get a bad rap but I like that he was league mvp and euro champ in the same year.

I imagine the euro competition may be a step down from the nba but not by much because a lot of former nba players play overseas.

Mavs may be worth watching again sooner rather than later. :D
Donicic did play in the top Euro Leauge, where the competition is probably sub NBA, but better than NCAA