NBA Offseason

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They overvalued him. They could have drafted Garland at 4 and Hunter would have been there at 10. He's a defensive , garbage bucket kind of player. Atlanta hasn't had an all-star caliber point guard since Spud Webb..........and they wonder why they go generations between competing for NBA titles.
I like Hunter more. Garland is a much bigger gamble. ATL has umm Trae Young. Hunter has serious Klay Thompson potential so fits very well next to a guy like Trae.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pretty sure Mavs are getting Kemba Walker.
I'm not 100% sure how to feel about that tbh.
He should be able to play off the ball. Ball movement should be vibrant with him and Luka. Big thing is can you get out of the contract when you can attract bigger fish. But in the meantime that team could put up a fight in the playoffs.

Horford would be a great addition, but from what I gathered from the Bos negotiation breakdown, he is looking for a four year deal. No bueno

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He should be able to play off the ball. Ball movement should be vibrant with him and Luka. Big thing is can you get out of the contract when you can attract bigger fish. But in the meantime that team could put up a fight in the playoffs.

Horford would be a great addition, but from what I gathered from the Bos negotiation breakdown, he is looking for a four year deal. No bueno
DAL wasn't ever in on Horford, too old. That was Hordord's agent trying to pressure BOS imho.
Kemba they'd have age 29-33 so prolly just keep him. I don't know that he's movable once maxed out.
I know he can really score it and that efficiency could be huge but yea if he can play off the ball that's the key.
Luka is the primary ball handler for next dozen years in DAL.

DAL may end up scoring 115 a game and hoping to hold people to 114, lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

and in DAL the word big fish makes us cry so lets not worry too much about that, lol.
the best big fish results we have been was missing out on dwight howard and deron williams sweepstakes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Boston draft was at least mildly interesting. Langford is gonna be a fun Summer League watch. Dont think you see much of him on the court, expect maybe a G-League stint. Two years from now, he could show some value. Thats if he isnt included in a trade this offseason which is very possible. Grant Williams may contribute this season if they dont like Yabusele's progress.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I think Atlanta looks interesting with Young, Hunter, and Reddish. Collins is a nice player too. Granted, I’m down on Reddish.... but if I’m wrong, they have a bright future.

I think Morant and JJJ is a nice tandem. Memphis is starting a nice rebuild.

Still butthurt that the Bulls weren’t in a position to draft Luka. He was my #1. This has nothing to do with this year’s draft.... but that still stings.

Bulls came away with White. It made sense. We’ll see. A better catch and shoot player but chucks it. We shall see if he can develop as a distributor. If they don’t add a veteran PG, he should push Dunn for the starting role. That said, I imagine the Bulls will bring in a veteran PG.

Not entirely sure what the Suns are doing. I hope they sign Russell. Their defense with Russell, Booker, and Ayton should be hilarious to watch.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Haha at book it, he is staying with the Hornets
CHA has never went into luxury tax so will be interesting to see.
If they keep Kemba and pay him max dollars they are cap strapped and mediocre at best for at least 2 more seasons.

But yes if they wanna pay him the money he will stay.

DAL or LAL: His agent is a huge Mavs guy and DAL has a creator in Luka who will only get better.
A lot more shots to be had in DAL where Luka took 5 less per game than LeBron and KP has averaged 4 less a game than AD.
DAL has an actual team with proven bench guys and it won't be championship or literal bust.
But I guess we shall see.
1 more week.

CowboysRock1980

Reaction score
CHA has never went into luxury tax so will be interesting to see.
If they keep Kemba and pay him max dollars they are cap strapped and mediocre at best for at least 2 more seasons.

But yes if they wanna pay him the money he will stay.

DAL or LAL: His agent is a huge Mavs guy and DAL has a creator in Luka who will only get better.
A lot more shots to be had in DAL where Luka took 5 less per game than LeBron and KP has averaged 4 less a game than AD.
DAL has an actual team with proven bench guys and it won't be championship or literal bust.
But I guess we shall see.
1 more week.

Kemba said last week that he would take less money to stay with Hornets

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kemba said last week that he would take less money to stay with Hornets
He's also said he's taking meetings with other teams.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ets-top-offseason-priority-mitch-kupchak-says
Charlotte Hornets general manager Mitch Kupchak told reporters Friday that re-signing Kemba Walker remains the team's top priority, though he added:

"You're talking about a substantial contract that goes out many years. When that happens, it creates some financial inflexibility that you have to deal with. We have to be mindful of a Kemba contract, should we be lucky enough to re-sign him. There could be limitations [on other roster moves], absolutely."

"I would not anticipate that is something we would look to do," Kupchak said of going into the luxury tax. "There are ways to increase [the distance from the luxury-tax threshold]. It's important we address that as soon as possible. Everybody needs to get on and plan."

I do think Charlotte has every chance to keep him but how much they will pay is the question and if it is less than other places chances to keep him go way down.
Local Charlotte articles already being spread that resigning him might hurt the results next couple seasons.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article231819943.html

CowboysRock1980

Reaction score
He's also said he's taking meetings with other teams.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ets-top-offseason-priority-mitch-kupchak-says
Charlotte Hornets general manager Mitch Kupchak told reporters Friday that re-signing Kemba Walker remains the team's top priority, though he added:

"You're talking about a substantial contract that goes out many years. When that happens, it creates some financial inflexibility that you have to deal with. We have to be mindful of a Kemba contract, should we be lucky enough to re-sign him. There could be limitations [on other roster moves], absolutely."

"I would not anticipate that is something we would look to do," Kupchak said of going into the luxury tax. "There are ways to increase [the distance from the luxury-tax threshold]. It's important we address that as soon as possible. Everybody needs to get on and plan."

I do think Charlotte has every chance to keep him but how much they will pay is the question and if it is less than other places chances to keep him go way down.
Local Charlotte articles already being spread that resigning him might hurt the results next couple seasons.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article231819943.html

Thank you, I missed that

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sign and trade a likely scenario for KD. That would be ideal for the Dubs if he’s bent on leaving; get something in return.

kskboys

Reaction score
Must be a pile of Lakers fans on here.

Sorry, but right now the Lakers franchise resembles the Dave Campo years.

CowboysRock1980

Reaction score
Sign and trade a likely scenario for KD. That would be ideal for the Dubs if he’s bent on leaving; get something in return.

I really doubt it, Kevin might not be the same player after his injury, it is too risky to give up picks and players for him with his injury

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I really doubt it, Kevin might not be the same player after his injury, it is too risky to give up picks and players for him with his injury

The Warriors resign him, let him rehab the injury for a year and assume all the risk. He’s not playing in 2019-2020 (most likely).

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...al-could-see-durant-head-knicks-2802338?amp=1

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Atlanta looks interesting with Young, Hunter, and Reddish. Collins is a nice player too. Granted, I’m down on Reddish.... but if I’m wrong, they have a bright future.

I think Morant and JJJ is a nice tandem. Memphis is starting a nice rebuild.

Still butthurt that the Bulls weren’t in a position to draft Luka. He was my #1. This has nothing to do with this year’s draft.... but that still stings.

Bulls came away with White. It made sense. We’ll see. A better catch and shoot player but chucks it. We shall see if he can develop as a distributor. If they don’t add a veteran PG, he should push Dunn for the starting role. That said, I imagine the Bulls will bring in a veteran PG.

Not entirely sure what the Suns are doing. I hope they sign Russell. Their defense with Russell, Booker, and Ayton should be hilarious to watch.
Reddish to me is a major ... ehhhhh. I watched prolly 10 Duke games and bout half those I couldn't have even told you he played.
But ATL is building a nice core for sure.
Suns are an example of why out and out forced tanking can be such a deep deep dark hole from which to climb out of.
Like Philly I think they'll have to pick a couple of those top 5 picks and build around them by adding proven vets.
So this FA cycle in a week should be huge for them.

Groups of 4+ kids as a core seldom win in the NBA.
Combo of salary cap, price and necessary development is just so tough to navigate for NBA teams.
Guys get maxed out wayyy before they are awesome players because teams will pay for potential.
These mid-tier vet guys like Pat Beverly likely to be wayyyy better than a rookie on his first max contract.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics apparently emerging as a " stealth suitor" for Kemba Walker.

Id personally rather land D'angelo Russell, as he matchs up with Tatum and Brown age wise. But Walker would give us a chance to land in the top 3 of the East next year, and they could build on that.

I dont see Kemba happening right now. I dont think they will be able to sell him on Boston's immediate future VS some other places. Thats another reason I would rather they chased Russell. Russell should be a much much smotther pic, and if it was known NJ wouldnt match I think we would bebthe favorites there

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Celtics apparently emerging as a " stealth suitor" for Kemba Walker.

Id personally rather land D'angelo Russell, as he matchs up with Tatum and Brown age wise. But Walker would give us a chance to land in the top 3 of the East next year, and they could build on that.

I dont see Kemba happening right now. I dont think they will be able to sell him on Boston's immediate future VS some other places. Thats another reason I would rather they chased Russell. Russell should be a much much smotther pic, and if it was known NJ wouldnt match I think we would bebthe favorites there
Kemba is 90% of Kyrie without the flat earth theories or demanding to guard Giannis (***???).

Think Kemba is either BOS or DAL and really no idea which way he leans tbh.
Think CHA will be amenable to s&t when he does choose that lets them get younger and doesn't send them much salary. --DAL shipping them Brunson, Hardaway Jr(they'd stretch waive him), a 2nd or two and 5m cash has been bandied about by Mavs fans.

D'angelo is still a very limited dude. He is not good around the rim and scored essentially all his points out of PnR which can limit the overall offense.
He is a shooter tho and has a really nice mid range game. Efficiency-wise however Nets were equal with or without him on the floor in points per possession.

All that said if Kyrie chooses BK, Kemba choose DAL and Russell is out there to be stolen for 5-7M less than those two, he might be the best value get of them all.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Rockets really wanna be first team to have an actual on court teammate murder.
Do they just hate Harden? Why do they wanna surroufd him with the most sullen, moody dudes in the universe?