NBA Season (18-19)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Can a basketball player like him come back from that close to the same?
I can’t think he will be the same player if he tore it.
I guess he hitchhiked his way to get a few rings.

It’s a devastating injury for a basketball player. Look at the way Boogie was moving after the injury. Kobe was a different player.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of front runners like you

Toronto will wax the floor with GS in game 6

Losers like you will make the injury excuse

Loool, front runner?

And here you are on the board talking and cheering the Toronto Raptors for the first time.

Where was all this talk from you last year....five years ago?

You define front running.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
man, that injury has to change things quite a bit for a lot of folks.

lots of guys who were locked in on summer moves may now be rethinking things.
maxing out your earning potential is real.fully, guaranteed money is king.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Loool, front runner?

And here you are on the board talking and cheering the Toronto Raptors for the first time.

Where was all this talk from you last year....five years ago?

You define front running.
I've been following this team since 95. The wagon is seriously full after this run. Dont know if I should be happy or mad lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Can a basketball player like him come back from that close to the same?
I can’t think he will be the same player if he tore it.
I guess he hitchhiked his way to get a few rings.
LeBron hitchhiked to Miami for rings.
Most guys have done so of late.

Yes, they can return to 100%.
But it will be tough and it is a 12 month turn-around.
Possibly 18-24 before 100% mentally and physically back at his peak.
Given age that is not a given but it can happen.

He saw Kobe go through it. He will have all the best doctors/rehab guys/trainers.
He's a known gym rat.

Thing is now if you are KD don't you take that 5 year max offer from GSW?
Or do you sign a deal and sit on the bench for a year at a new place, rehabbing in a new city with new everything around you?
I'd for sure resign 5 years and stay. Even if GSW may be on a downhill slope by the time he returns.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I've been following this team since 95. The wagon is seriously full after this run. Dont know if I should be happy or mad lol
As a Mavs fan having had 1 title I can tell you just enjoy it.
Enjoy every second because NBA titles are the hardest to win.
I suspect it'll be a game 7 at home win which would be delicious.

But TOR could very well be the 2011 Mavs and see the team break up immediately post win.
So definitely enjoy this thing.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Your profile pic lends me to believe that.

Visionary has 16,000+ posts and this is the first time he’s typed the words “Raptors” on this forum. And he’s accusing me of being a “front runner.”

Ain’t that rich, lulz.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I felt going in the Raptors might be vulnerable in Game 5 trying to close it out because the pressure might get to them.

I think they will actually close out the Dubs in Oakland because they’ll be locked in as a team being in enemy territory.

Funny, in speaking with other fans the feeling is if we lose to anyone it’s much more palatable to lose to the Raptors then say the Cavs and LeBron. Raptors are easy to root for; great fanbase; humble super star; hard-working team.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If anyone has seen the slo-mo play of KD’s injury you can see the moment his Achilles snaps and recoils up his leg.

Crazy.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score

He saw Kobe go through it. He will have all the best doctors/rehab guys/trainers.
He's a known gym rat.

Or do you sign a deal and sit on the bench for a year at a new place, rehabbing in a new city with new everything around you?
I'd for sure resign 5 years and stay. Even if GSW may be on a downhill slope by the time he returns.

Is that offer still on the table?

IMO I think at least he opts in and uses next year to recover and shoot for a 2020 FA Bid. Some team will still give him big money.

ghst187

Reaction score

He's a known gym rat.

Well GSWs were already a championship team with a ring prior to KD while Miami was not.
But yeah funny was saying to a buddy that the league likes parity but clearly the players don’t.

Crazy but i heard he was heading to NYK but he’d be dumb not to stay now.
He won’t play until the playoffs next year and by then the NYKs will be finished with their season.

Also, it has often taken football players more closer to two years to make a full full recovery so hard to imagine a basketball player coming back in 12 months anywhere close to previous.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Is that offer still on the table?

IMO I think at least he opts in and uses next year to recover and shoot for a 2020 FA Bid. Some team will still give him big money.
Why would it not be on the table?
GSW have no cap space so can't replace him and it is just cash to them, nothing more.
So, yes he should opt out and take the 5 year deal.
That's smart money now for both sides.

If he opts out someone will give offer 4 year and max for sure but it will be a risk to that team and to KD.
At least staying put he is getting paid for past titles and hoping to come back near 100% in 2020 and win more.

Anywhere else he is going to be asked to carry a team and the dude has a torn achilles.
That'd be insane pressure and he'd eat a max cap slot the entire year to give them nothing.

Best bet is GSW.

Now other guys gotta see dominoes fall as they fall. Will be interesting to see if many are willing to risk giving up GTD years and max offers seeing this KD injury again as last thing to happen before they gotta decide.

John813

Reaction score
Well GSWs were already a championship team with a ring prior to KD while Miami was not.
But yeah funny was saying to a buddy that the league likes parity but clearly the players don’t.

Crazy but i heard he was heading to NYK but he’d be dumb not to stay now.
He won’t play until the playoffs next year and by then the NYKs will be finished with their season.

Also, it has often taken football players more closer to two years to make a full full recovery so hard to imagine a basketball player coming back in 12 months anywhere close to previous.

It seems to be a hit or miss, or maybe it depends on the severity?

Tyrone Crawford tore his in 2013 and in 2014 he posted a good campaign from the 3-tech and was rewarded with that huge deal.
Same with Barry Church in 2012, and was back in 2013 playing at a better level iirc.

Kevin Durant should use their surgeon lol.

Why would it not be on the table?
GSW have no cap space so can't replace him and it is just cash to them, nothing more.
So, yes he should opt out and take the 5 year deal.
That's smart money now for both sides.

If he opts out someone will give offer 4 year and max for sure but it will be a risk to that team and to KD.
At least staying put he is getting paid for past titles and hoping to come back near 100% in 2020 and win more.

Anywhere else he is going to be asked to carry a team and the dude has a torn achilles.
That'd be insane pressure and he'd eat a max cap slot the entire year to give them nothing.

Best bet is GSW.

Now other guys gotta see dominoes fall as they fall. Will be interesting to see if many are willing to risk giving up GTD years and max offers seeing this KD injury again as last thing to happen before they gotta decide.

To me, it would be a risk offering a 5 year max deal to a 31 year old who just tore his Achilles. I understand the NBA salary cap rules and what-not, and that GSW can't simply find someone with the same talent period, even if they let him walk.
But, if he isn't the same guy in 2020 on, they just spent +200mil and a crap load of luxury taxes on a guy who should still be good, but not elite.
If they paid Thompson and Durant max contracts, they will owe 175mil next year in luxury tax. Might be worth it with a healthy Durant and a good shot at a another ring, but, with his injury, he could make it back for the playoffs, or not even suit up. Quite the risk.

And I think he would want to leave GSW eventually.

Last edited:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I have a feeling the GSW will win it now. I was cheering for the Raptors last night, they choked, ref gave them a chance with that moving screen call, didn't the Raptors have a TO left? Surprised they didn't use it to set up a play, i guess the coach thought in bounding the ball again would be detrimental and prohibit them from get a clean shot off. That kind of lose could spiral out of control now. I hope the Raptors can bounce back but it's not looking so good atm.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Raptors in 6. Kawhi will now be hailed the best player in the NBA while KD is sidelined for a year and still may never me the same again. Kobe was never the same after his achilleas injury.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
last night felt like a whole series in one game. GSW won their last game. I don't know what they will have left after that. They need Curry and Thompson to score a combined 65 points or more to get to Game 7. Raptors win this thing.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
GSW aren't going to let Klay and KD walk. They'll offer max to both guys.
It is a massive cap bill but they are walking into a new basketball arena and printing money right now.
If they wanna trade these guys later they can.
GSW is top 5 team without KD which is why they can take risks other teams can't.
He doesn't have to be a top 5 guy for them it just makes it that much easier if he is.

Salary caps go up yearly as do max contracts. KD in 3-4 years won't be near the top of the heap anymore.

Had he played well and stayed healthy I think he would have left.
But the risk shifts big time to KD and any team that signs him now.
NO other team can feel confident they can sign him then make the Finals without him.
And if his goal is a 10-12 month turn around and possibly playoff basketball next year GSW is his best option.

The Warriors won't be good forever and 5 years is very very unlikely but that extra cash is for a lifetime.

visionary

Reaction score
Funny, in speaking with other fans the feeling is if we lose to anyone it’s much more palatable to lose to the Raptors then say the Cavs and LeBron. .

Yep, that's the fan every team wants

The fan who gets together with friends and talks about who they would rather their team lose to, LOL
:huh::facepalm::muttley: