NBA Season 23-24

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They will, just seems like a lot of impatient people wanting the Spurs to go waste a bunch of picks in season to get players that will only help them win now. This is a learning year for Wemby and the Spurs, it's tough to sit through the losses, but still fun watching him play. Right now the current roster is playing for who will be part of the future, should be an interesting off season.
Best thing they can do it be patient and put some talent around him via the draft. It sucks but once they start to get good it'll be really hard to go back bad.
Spurs have been playing Sochan at PG lol. This is definitely a development season. This isnt the NFL wherw drafting franchise players can instant turnaround. Shaq and Lebron both missed the playoffs their first. Duncan doesnt count because the only they were a lotto team was Robinson going down. They were contenders the year before

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Spurs have been playing Sochan at PG lol. This is definitely a development season. This isnt the NFL wherw drafting franchise players can instant turnaround. Shaq and Lebron both missed the playoffs their first. Duncan doesnt count because the only they were a lotto team was Robinson going down. They were contenders the year before
Statistically, the best two 19-year-old NBA seasons were by Luka and LeBron.
Wemby is on pace to join that group.
We have seen both play out now and the Spurs need to stack some future assets around Wemby while letting him acclimate to the culture and the league.
LeBron was good too fast and the Cavs never had enough to get over the hump so he left for Miami.
Luka was too good too fast and the Mavs likewise fell short and had to do a tank year that only luck salvaged with Lively being much better than a typical mid round guy.
Both guys get immense pressure to win it all every year.
They need(ed) the bodies around them and the time to mature.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We have seen both play out now and the Spurs need to stack some future assets around Wemby while letting him acclimate to the culture and the league.
LeBron was good too fast and the Cavs never had enough to get over the hump so he left for Miami.
Luka was too good too fast and the Mavs likewise fell short and had to do a tank year that only luck salvaged with Lively being much better than a typical mid round guy.
Lebron also had the misfortune of Wagner getting sick. If Wagner stayed healthy and developed as a #2, he could have been a good #2

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Spur also have to figure out who on hand fits. Vassel and Sochan, are definitely guys to hold. Vassel is a good shooter, and Sochan's game keeps growing. I think he is going to be an Al Horford type. Keldon Johnson could stick around as a downhill guy, but he isnt a great shooter or defender. He might be more of a 6th man type on a winning. If the Spurs can get starters package for him, I think they should consider it

ghst187

Reaction score
This year is likely going to be a "how far can we go with what we have" year for OKC. First playoff appearance for this group. I dont think they have a real shot at going all the way right now. Very important step in team building though. They are in a great position not only with pics, but they have developed an army of players that will be highly valued in any trade they might make. If I was to slap money down on who would be the 2024/25 favorite in the West it would be OKC

Holmgren will make positionless work for them long term. You really need an All Star wing to really make it work. If I had to guess where they look in the offseason, it would be there. They have the ammo to get that without moving Giddy. Although he isnt much of a defender, Giddy's ability to be a wing and a handler is big for any positionless roster
Tend to agree although I will still think next year, unless they fix it this offseason, they are a defender/rebounder away from being a real threat. I’m reminded a lot of the Sonics, ironically, when they were playing uptempo and blowing people away in the regular season then got in the playoffs and got stuffed by Denver in the first round mostly because….lack of downlow game.
Positionless sounds nice but they are at double digit deficit every single game on the boards and giving away tons of second chance offensive boards. I think they have enough scorers (although I think Chet should be more assertive than he is), but they will get bullied by Anthony Davis and Rudy Gobert in the playoffs IMO.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tend to agree although I will still think next year, unless they fix it this offseason, they are a defender/rebounder away from being a real threat. I’m reminded a lot of the Sonics, ironically, when they were playing uptempo and blowing people away in the regular season then got in the playoffs and got stuffed by Denver in the first round mostly because….lack of downlow game.
Positionless sounds nice but they are at double digit deficit every single game on the boards and giving away tons of second chance offensive boards. I think they have enough scorers (although I think Chet should be more assertive than he is), but they will get bullied by Anthony Davis and Rudy Gobert in the playoffs IMO.
Chet is really the only big they have. Thats something they need to look at in the offseason. Pokuševski isnt going to be the awnser there. Jalin Williams is more of a wing, and his name brother is still developing and not really ready to contribute to a playoff team. A greybeard big in the offseason would help alot on the the court and developing Williams.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lebron also had the misfortune of Wagner getting sick. If Wagner stayed healthy and developed as a #2, he could have been a good #2
Certainly possible but it was also just pressure and assets.
LBJ said he had to leave to learn to win.
He obviously built serious bonds with other high picks from that draft class and the next few but never had them around until he left and went back.

IMO Spurs must do everything in their power to shield Wemby from insane early expectations and let him develop at a natural clip.
All goes well and they have him for 20 years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Spur also have to figure out who on hand fits. Vassel and Sochan, are definitely guys to hold. Vassel is a good shooter, and Sochan's game keeps growing. I think he is going to be an Al Horford type. Keldon Johnson could stick around as a downhill guy, but he isnt a great shooter or defender. He might be more of a 6th man type on a winning. If the Spurs can get starters package for him, I think they should consider it
The beauty of going young and developing a roster is you learn what guys are going to work and who to simply move.
Pop knows how to this better than anyone imo.
They really just need to keep stacking assets.

In 2 years if Wemby is a true star you can go make deep playoff runs.
If he isn't you aren't rebuilding from scratch.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chet is really the only big they have. Thats something they need to look at in the offseason. Pokuševski isnt going to be the awnser there. Jalin Williams is more of a wing, and his name brother is still developing and not really ready to contribute to a playoff team. A greybeard big in the offseason would help alot on the the court and developing Williams.
Chet/Adams is the best Center group in basketball imo.
But I was surprised they didn't do more to get Daniel Gafford.
His physicality would have fit very nicely while Adams is out.

OKC is very athletic and efficient on both ends of the floor but that Mavs game has to scare them because playoff basketball will be very physical, and SGA is only going to be 3/4 as many calls.
Gafford straight bullied Chet and the small ball lineups allowed a dunk line to a team that has (pre-trades) been pretty brutal in the paint.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Positionless basketball is great at the youth through high school level and it has done well on the D1 stage but there are obvious counters to it.
Switching defenses are nasty but are going to struggle with elite quickness or size. And the NBA has both in spades.
Trying to play positionless versus Embiid or Jokic will see you get destroyed.
Teams with smaller, quicker PG will dictate the pace of the game.
And no defense is going to be Ok switching onto Luka, Giannis and the like.
You at best have 2 guys that can guard them even a little.
Other switches are just free and 1s.

ghst187

Reaction score
I know Utah would’ve wanted a fortune but I thought OKC doing a deal for Markkanen (back when Utah was willing to trade him) would’ve put them in the top four contender pool instantly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I know Utah would’ve wanted a fortune but I thought OKC doing a deal for Markkanen (back when Utah was willing to trade him) would’ve put them in the top four contender pool instantly.
They really needed a defensive minded guy and banger.
Someone who will help in the playoffs.
Siakam would have fit there really well if they wanted a 2-way guy at top of the salary chart.

Lauri would have elevated them even more on offense but as a top 5 team on both sides of the ball now the issue I foresee is playoff basketball.
With more assets than anyone has ever accumulated they can fill as they desire.

I am just glad they left Gafford for the Mavs because DAL has/had crap for assets and never would have competed with OKC.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Mavs have won 5 in a row and are tied for 7th and only 1 game out of the 5th seed. I don't think they can get one of the 4 top spots barring a major injury to one of those teams but I think they could stay at 5 and be a tough matchup for the #4 seed. They don't even have Lively playing right now.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dubs look like they’re putting it back together. I still think they are short a quality big man that can give you significant minutes, but the team really is deeper with young players than it has been in awhile. Unfortunately, they are almost all guards.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
NY is limping into the All Star break...no Randle, no OG is really hurting

I'm not worried per se...think we can still get the 3 seed, potentially the 2

kwcool619

Reaction score
Dubs look like they’re putting it back together. I still think they are short a quality big man that can give you significant minutes, but the team really is deeper with young players than it has been in awhile. Unfortunately, they are almost all guards.
I was thinking that while watching the Dubs versus the Clippers last night. They blew another 15 point lead.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kuminga has really come on. I was hoping he would have been an un the radar trade target for us ala Derrick White. Then I checked in to see how he was doing and thought "Yup, no way they consider moving him"

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was thinking that while watching the Dubs versus the Clippers last night. They blew another 15 point lead.
Kerr is a future HOF coach, but his weak spot is his stubbornness in being slow to recognize and accept change (ie. Integrating his young players).

Now he’s gone the other way and started deeper rotations with his bench of young players and gotten good results. Problem is he’s still not giving Trayce Jackson-Davis steady minutes. TJD is a quality big man (Jokic was even praising him) that needs the run and gives the team much needed size/length.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Kerr is a future HOF coach, but his weak spot is his stubbornness in being slow to recognize and accept change (ie. Integrating his young players).

Now he’s gone the other way and started deeper rotations with his bench of young players and gotten good results. Problem is he’s still not giving Trayce Jackson-Davis steady minutes. TJD is a quality big man (Jokic was even praising him) that needs the run and gives the team much needed size/length.
Paul worked well with TJD and had a feel for his game, but when he went down, so did his overall output.

Along with Saric, that's decent size. Obvious they were looking at the draft as they really had to think hard about getting rid of trade bait and takers during trade deadline.

There still might be an athletic big or 2 at #19 depending on their strategy.