News: NBC: Jaylon Smith expects to be better than Notre Dame 100 percent

DiResta

Reaction score
We need to ask ourselves this:

What would Belichick do with a player with never-ending rehab and an extremely high opinion of himself?
his rehab is never ending? looks like its progressing to me considering some were assuring anyone that would listen he would never play again.
is it extremely high opinion of himself or unshakable confidence that bothers you?
i dont get it -people trying attack his character now?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
his rehab is never ending? looks like its progressing to me considering some were assuring anyone that would listen he would never play again.
is it extremely high opinion of himself or unshakable confidence that bothers you?
Optimism can carry things only so far.

Speaking for myself only, I cringe when I see cases like Smith with this organization. It is nothing against Smith. He is the one putting in the work. And when he touts it, that is his right because he earned it.

I just hate it that the organization cannot look at situations like this dispassionately.

You have to detach to evaluate. When emotions come into the equation, mistakes happen.

jay94

Reaction score
He has been a bust to this point especially for what we gave up and what we could of had at his spot, one of the deeper drafts we reach on an injured player that may never play again, smh. I like Jaylon I hate the pick. Great people don't win you football games and I am sure that is what 99% of this fan base cares about.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You are right, govnor. Right you are. You don't get it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That is only half the battle. Once the nerve regenerates to the muscle it has to reinnervate with the muscle. Some of the old interface can be used and others have to be formed anew.

The science behind nerve regeneration is understood extremely well and can be predicted accurately. The study of the biomechanics and biochemistry of reinnervation is still ongoing which leads to uncertainty.

Look at he last word in the post above. That encapsulates Jaylon's entire NFL career until now.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So we have no idea what would be the anticipated time to get to "full" recovery? How long should we wait? 3 years? 4? 10? That's the question the Cowboys need to answer...
I say we wait 6 years. That will give Jaylon enough money to retire.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Calling it now...they will be trend setting. Smith, LVE and Lee... if they all can stay healthy. Will be great to watch.
Very true. Just cross your fingers so the inevitable Lee injury does not happen, Smith somehow gets right physically and mentally and Vander Carpenter's neck does not explode.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I say we wait 6 years. That will give Jaylon enough money to retire.
I would say the team would go 6 years too. Jaylon would play out his rookie contract and then the team would add on a couple one year deals waiting to salvage the pick. And then if he does get fully healthy in year 6, someone will make the argument Jerry’s gamble paid off.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Jaylon just needs to shutup and and be better. We don't need to be told about it. If he's better we'll see it with our own eyes.
Did someone squirt something kind of yellow in your cheerios and you discovered it wasn't honey?
If Jaylon had such a negative attitude as you do, his recovery would never have made it this far. He's come a long long ways with a bad injury, he has a right to celebrate and be happy about it.
He's a good kid and he's got a bunch of people in his corner!

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Did someone squirt something kind of yellow in your cheerios and you discovered it wasn't honey?
If Jaylon had such a negative attitude as you do, his recovery would never have made it this far. He's come a long long ways with a bad injury, he has a right to celebrate and be happy about it.
He's a good kid and he's got a bunch of people in his corner!
I'm one of those people in his corner. Since when is "show me, don't tell me" having a negative attitude? Some would say objecting to an opinion just because it differs from yours is having a bad attitude.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm one of those people in his corner. Since when is "show me, don't tell me" having a negative attitude? Some would say objecting to an opinion just because it differs from yours is having a bad attitude.
Par for the course in the internet, man. I am going through the same thing regarding Gegory. His 6 month delay in filing for reinstatement doesn’t make sense and if you point that out you’re hating on him and wanting him to fail. People are just crappy human beings these days.

erod

Reaction score
Jaylon is good moving forward, but not when he's dropping into coverage. Hopefully the rookie will catch on quickly so we can avoid the latter.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jaylon is good moving forward, but not when he's dropping into coverage. Hopefully the rookie will catch on quickly so we can avoid the latter.

He was fine in coverage. It was more scheme than anything else when we were giving up easy 5-7 yard passes over the middle.

DiResta

Reaction score
Optimism can carry things only so far.

Speaking for myself only, I cringe when I see cases like Smith with this organization. It is nothing against Smith. He is the one putting in the work. And when he touts it, that is his right because he earned it.

I just hate it that the organization cannot look at situations like this dispassionately.

You have to detach to evaluate. When emotions come into the equation, mistakes happen.
fair enough
theres been plenty of cases with injuries and character issues, projects like Isaiah Stanback that never pan out
despite what @gimme says there is a plan for Jaylon and i think hes on track but most importantly he has continuously gotten better
if he was a guy like Matt Johnson that never even sniffed the field it would be a totally different story
now hes finally supposed to be healthy, the brace may stay off for games, 3rd year, you know as well as anyone this is when they expect him to show he is fully capable mentally and physically

maybe Jaylon was a costly bad pick thats definitely up for debate
some see it as a wasted pick or just hate the guy whatever but they made the decision and if we look at his career is he where they thought he would be?
will he be a 1st round or even 2nd round level talent this year? i would say that is expected even though i have no access to what the FO thinks
and i agree with keeping it more business over big happy family but i honestly feel this case is the exception. now if he looks bad this year when all signs point otherwise? you look at whats best for the organization

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Last year he said similar things, why should we believe him now?

And over time they have come to pass. Last year he absolutely needed the AFO. Last year he couldn't completely trust his body. This year h hasn't had setbacks. He is now practicing and working out without the appliance. He says he is working to get better than he ever was. Hard to doubt him.

There were online sports doctors saying a year ago that you shouldn't expect further recovery. Yet there CLEARLY has been further improvement. People were saying he wouldn't ever WALK normally. Even if he doesn't make it back to being a top tier player, he has made it further than 95% of the people ever expected him to.

Amazing how people can ignore that.

DiResta

Reaction score
Last year he said similar things, why should we believe him now?
People will believe literally anything when they have an emotional incentive to do so.
many people have the same expectation for the player
the difference is some lack or lost patience, maybe they had unrealistic expectations to begin with or maybe they hated the pick

it was generally understood he wasnt going to play his first year, in fact it was the first thing Mayock said
my expectation and i believe it was the same from the FO based on what they said was hope he could return his second year (that he would actually play football again)
and imaybe have situational football packages for him

he never earned the start from Hitchens or Lee
i remember Stephen saying they wouldnt rush Jaylon back, it wasnt fair to him blah blah
the very next game they started him because why? because they had no depth, they had nobody else
if casual fans can see the struggle you dont think a coach can? a guy who made the assignment? of course they knew

now year 3 all signs point to this being a huge year, he should be ready
if not, theres plenty of time and bandwith to rip the guy