Video: NBC Sports-Will Ekekiel Elliott be suspended for incident at festival-Pro Football Talk

aria

Reaction score
The World is getting bubble-wrap soft.
LOL, this coming from a guy who is easily offended over a word that some people recently deemed offensive. Talk about being soft, might want to look in the mirror.

This also has nothing to do with “the world”. It has to do with Zeke’s constant flirting with jumping over the line of the NFL’s personal conduct policy, his prior suspension for DV (right or wrong) and how the league will look at this as a possible violation of said policy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL will lose this much power in the next CBA. This was an overreaction to players like Pacman and Chris Henry. It can be argued that "How is the NFL going to discipline the player" sports topic has done more to "stain the sheild" then the actual transgressions. I don't think there should be no punishment, I just think there should be equal representation from the Players Union and the league on the decision of these matters.
That sounds good except that the asylum is owned by 32 men that pay a man a lot of money to run the asylum.

The rank and file of the NFL could care less about this because it doesn't affect them, they know the rules and obey them or just don't get caught. This CBA will be about the % and how the NFLPA can get more because they've not been successful at that. They get concessions like practice time but not those precious % points and they're not likely to get more this time.

And the only fans that care about this disciplinary action are those with players in time outs and the Cowboys have had too many. It is amusing to see posters get pissed at the rule instead of the person breaking it. The fact that 51 other players can follow the rules and a couple can't actually gets them mad at Goodell? The rules are agreed to by the NFLPA along with Goodell's enforcement of them.

aria

Reaction score
That sounds good except that the asylum is owned by 32 men that pay a man a lot of money to run the asylum.

The rank and file of the NFL could care less about this because it doesn't affect them, they know the rules and obey them or just don't get caught. This CBA will be about the % and how the NFLPA can get more because they've not been successful at that. They get concessions like practice time but not those precious % points and they're not likely to get more this time.

And the only fans that care about this disciplinary action are those with players in time outs and the Cowboys have had too many. It is amusing to see posters get pissed at the rule instead of the person breaking it. The fact that 51 other players can follow the rules and a couple can't actually gets them mad at Goodell? The rules are agreed to by the NFLPA along with Goodell's enforcement of them.
I’m willing to bet the weed policy will be one of the biggest issues if not the biggest. More players have a problem staying clean for 3 months (or however long it is they can test for weed) than getting in fights and/or making an azz out of themselves in public.

I would say maybe weed would help Zeke, I know I would drink less if I could do it and I’m definitely more mellow, but the rules are so easy to follow already and I’m not sure weed would be enough for him to get his fix.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct but it’s part of the reason many of us are concerned. Turning around and walking back to someone saying “what did you say” then proceeding to make physical contact with that person could easily fall under intimidation. We’ll see.
And anyone here ever see a drunk respond to nothing with "what did you say"? We do not know what that guy said and probably won't.

Elliott didn't strike the guy but he did cause him to back up, through intimidation, and fall and gave him a little help going down or so it seems on that video. He blocked the path of that woman, who we also don't know her role in this except she seemed to be unhappy with Elliott and that could over anything and not necessarily even his fault. However, there is not a woman that would not consider a larger person blocking their path not intimidation. And the NFL is very intimidation alert because of the bullying aspect of much larger men.

But the bigger picture isn't the degree of intimidation, it is the history of the individual. If Elliott wasn't on the naughty list, this would probably be much ado about nothing but consider the past with the NFL, that spent more time in the news, because of the lawsuit and appeals, than Rice and Hardy combined. It was Elliott against the league and now he's gotten himself back in the news again.

These disciplinary actions are as much a warning to the other players as punishment for the perp. Don't know what they will do but Elliott has successfully offered himself up as an example, if the league wants to use it.

However, if they do not do something, this is not the last time we will see this problem. And even if they do, no assurance he will not get into something like this again. I can't help but think he's got a mental issue aided by alcohol.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
LOL, this coming from a guy who is easily offended over a word that some people recently deemed offensive. Talk about being soft, might want to look in the mirror.

This also has nothing to do with “the world”. It has to do with Zeke’s constant flirting with jumping over the line of the NFL’s personal conduct policy, his prior suspension for DV (right or wrong) and how the league will look at this as a possible violation of said policy.
You couldn't possibly offend me kitten.

Seriously, you have real difficulty reading. I never said I was offended, I said some people would find it offensive. This isn't the first time you've been called out for poor reading comprehension.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m willing to bet the weed policy will be one of the biggest issues if not the biggest. More players have a problem staying clean for 3 months (or however long it is they can test for weed) than getting in fights and/or making an azz out of themselves in public.

I would say maybe weed would help Zeke, I know I would drink less if I could do it and I’m definitely more mellow, but the rules are so easy to follow already and I’m not sure weed would be enough for him to get his fix.
How many players are we talking about out of the 1,856? That's the key to whether that is a sticking point. Is Sean Lee willing to give up game checks to fight for Gregory's right to get high?

I think if you polled the owners, most could care less about pot; however, it is federally illegal and they get some "look the other way" from congress so removing it draws attention. They could use this as a "force measure" in order to get back to football because one thing we know for sure, if a lockout or strike lasts more than two weeks, the feds get involved.

For all we know, Zeke might smoke pot as well as imbibe. And we do not know the extent of his drinking, that could be exaggerated, just like Booger's. He was definitely not acting sober in that video but it's 3 am at a music festival. Mother Teresa might have gotten a little tipsy.

On a comparison basis, what Crawford did was much more worthy of disciplinary action. It looks like he instigated and invited that with what looked like bouncers at a fashion show.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's yet to be established.
You may wish considering what the word 'established' means as far as Goodell is concerned. One could question what specific condition(s) of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy did Elliott actually violate that resulted in his very real six-game suspension based upon all 'evidence' presented to Goodell.

Discussion is a good thing. However, some portion of conversation should be devoted for speculating what Goodell may or may not do based upon what types of discipline Goodell has or has not dispensed in the past. In the end, it is not important what others believe is right or wrong, fact or fiction, perceived or imagined, moral or trivial. Everything boils down to whatever thoughts Goodell kicks around inside his $30+ million dollar skull--regardless how major or minor anyone else believes anything might mean.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL will lose this much power in the next CBA. This was an overreaction to players like Pacman and Chris Henry. It can be argued that "How is the NFL going to discipline the player" sports topic has done more to "stain the sheild" then the actual transgressions. I don't think there should be no punishment, I just think there should be equal representation from the Players Union and the league on the decision of these matters.
You could be right but I will take a wait-and-see approach. Without doubt, the NFLPA could play hardball and force the owners to both limit and refine the commissioner's disciplinary powers but I will believe that when I see it in writing.

Haimerej

Reaction score
You may wish considering what the word 'established' means as far as Goodell is concerned. One could question what specific condition(s) of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy did Elliott actually violate that resulted in his very real six-game suspension based upon all 'evidence' presented to Goodell.

Discussion is a good thing. However, some portion of conversation should be devoted for speculating what Goodell may or may not do based upon what types of discipline Goodell has or has not dispensed in the past. In the end, it is not important what others believe is right or wrong, fact or fiction, perceived or imagined, moral or trivial. Everything boils down to whatever thoughts Goodell kicks around inside his $30+ million dollar skull--regardless how major or minor anyone else believes anything might mean.

Obviously Goodell has final say. Like I said earlier, Zeke getting suspended won't surprise me. My whole point in this discussion was about expressing my opinion that what he did wasn't bad and people are blowing it out of proportion.

aria

Reaction score
You couldn't possibly offend me kitten.

Seriously, you have real difficulty reading. I never said I was offended, I said some people would find it offensive. This isn't the first time you've been called out for poor reading comprehension.
Oh my, you’re so observant! It’s also not the only time you’ve brought it up. If you didn’t care, why mention it? Are you now the cyber police, looking out for those who may be offended? How noble of you! Gotta protect the softies you complain about, don’t ya?

I do like kitten though, keep that up, it’s a mild turn on compared to the 4 letter words my wife and most others refer to me as.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And he has shown little mercy for a repeat offender as that serves as an example for others.

I do not think this is as autocratic as some seem to believe. I think there's a brain trust inside the league office with Goodell as the ultimate tiebreaker if there is one.

In the first situation, some feel as if he acted alone but he had the investigator, who didn't think Elliott should be disciplined and is probably the one that told Booger he wouldn't be, setting that in motion. But he had that panel of 4 plus the people inside his organization. And one of the ones inside the league office, Vincent I believe said that the parade incident was not part of this investigation of DV but did have some effect on it. I believe that had a tipping point effect to it on that panel and Goodell.

And what some don't seem to take into account is that panel, which did see the report from the prosecutor's office, the only sanctioned investigation, decided 4-0 against Elliott. How in the hell could Goodell oppose that? By having that panel, he gave himself no out if they were unanimous either way. For all we know, he might have been hoping for it to go the other way or a deadlock.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously Goodell has final say. Like I said earlier, Zeke getting suspended won't surprise me. My whole point in this discussion was about expressing my opinion that what he did wasn't bad and people are blowing it out of proportion.
And I agree with that unless his prior history is brought into it. Which I think is the real crux of this matter. Elliott is becoming like Gordon and Gregory.

Any player without history does that, I think it's nothing, a warning at most. But a high profile player, and he is high profile for that case more than anything else to the general public, is going to get much closer looks. And as we've seen, when there is a video, there is a problem as far as the NFL is concerned.

I mentioned in another thread, it's like what Maverick's CO told him in Top Gun. Because of the history, he had to do it better.

And the one thing I have noticed about this latest situation, no one here seems to be surprised. Pissed off, disappointed? Yep, but few surprised. This was the other shoe some expected but I think he's a spider with many more shoes to drop.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What exactly do you think the overwhelming 99% majority are willing to give up to help protect this 1% of problems players?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I agree with that unless his prior history is brought into it. Which I think is the real crux of this matter. Elliott is becoming like Gordon and Gregory.

Any player without history does that, I think it's nothing, a warning at most. But a high profile player, and he is high profile for that case more than anything else to the general public, is going to get much closer looks. And as we've seen, when there is a video, there is a problem as far as the NFL is concerned.

I mentioned in another thread, it's like what Maverick's CO told him in Top Gun. Because of the history, he had to do it better.

And the one thing I have noticed about this latest situation, no one here seems to be surprised. Pissed off, disappointed? Yep, but few surprised. This was the other shoe some expected but I think he's a spider with many more shoes to drop.
Right .. it’s almost as though most expect some suspension.

Yep.. it’s all about his history. A Rap Sheet matters.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And he has shown little mercy for a repeat offender as that serves as an example for others.

I do not think this is as autocratic as some seem to believe. I think there's a brain trust inside the league office with Goodell as the ultimate tiebreaker if there is one.

In the first situation, some feel as if he acted alone but he had the investigator, who didn't think Elliott should be disciplined and is probably the one that told Booger he wouldn't be, setting that in motion. But he had that panel of 4 plus the people inside his organization. And one of the ones inside the league office, Vincent I believe said that the parade incident was not part of this investigation of DV but did have some effect on it. I believe that had a tipping point effect to it on that panel and Goodell.

And what some don't seem to take into account is that panel, which did see the report from the prosecutor's office, the only sanctioned investigation, decided 4-0 against Elliott. How in the hell could Goodell oppose that? By having that panel, he gave himself no out if they were unanimous either way. For all we know, he might have been hoping for it to go the other way or a deadlock.
The video in this one makes a difference. If we’d had video from Columbus in the DV case , he might have never played again.

TonyS

Reaction score
Is it just me or anyone else read this when it comes to the top of the threads and somehow read that Ezekiel Elliot Will be Suspended? I always have to read it twice, after getting visibly nauseated...and then relieved w/in about 100 milliseconds...could just be me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct but it’s part of the reason many of us are concerned. Turning around and walking back to someone saying “what did you say” then proceeding to make physical contact with that person could easily fall under intimidation. We’ll see.
Right... the bigger discussion is the effects of the distractions this incident presents. Even if he isn’t suspended there could be some effects.

Two games is most likely if it comes down which could have a HUGE impact on the season especially with our schedule which is more favorable early in the season. What if it cost us a win or two we might had otherwise won. Might be the difference in playoffs or not.

This is what we should be discussing not the details of the incident. And the longer term plans on retaining him beyond his Rookie contract.