Video: NBC Sports-Will Ekekiel Elliott be suspended for incident at festival-Pro Football Talk

aria

Reaction score
Right... the bigger discussion is the effects of the distractions this incident presents. Even if he isn’t suspended there could be some effects.

Two games is most likely if it comes down which could have a HUGE impact on the season especially with our schedule which is more favorable early in the season. What if it cost us a win or two we might had otherwise won. Might be the difference in playoffs or not.

This is what we should be discussing not the details of the incident. And the longer term plans on retaining him beyond his Rookie contract.
I’m honestly not too worried about the effect of our W/L’s if he only misses a few games, especially with our rather soft schedule, the RB’s we drafted, Fred coming back and Connor having another year under his belt.

I’m not even sure he’ll be suspended but it wouldn’t surprise me and if he is then he brought it upon himself. I also thought the league would investigate his 1st DJ/nightclub incident but they never did so who knows. I would be somewhat surprised if he keeps this up and they keep ignoring it though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m honestly not too worried about the effect of our W/L’s if he only misses a few games, especially with our rather soft schedule, the RB’s we drafted, Fred coming back and Connor having another year under his belt.

I’m not even sure he’ll be suspended but it wouldn’t surprise me and if he is then he brought it upon himself. I also thought the league would investigate his 1st DJ/nightclub incident but they never did so who knows. I would be somewhat surprised if he keeps this up and they keep ignoring it though.
I think it’s naive to believe there wouldn’t be some effects if he’s suspended . But certainly entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:

DRella

Reaction score
Why would he be suspended?

He didn't get arrested, he didn't have charges placed against him and security already has admitted that they were wrong to intervene in nothing happening.

To me Security should be fired not anything to Zeke.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

He didn't get arrested, he didn't have charges placed against him and security already has admitted that they were wrong to intervene in nothing happening.

I bet he doesn't get suspended, JMO

aria

Reaction score
I think it’s naive to believe there wouldn’t be some effects if he’s suspended . But certainly entitled to your opinion.
Some effects, sure but I wouldn’t be too worried about not winning games without him. I think our D will be even more improved and do enough to keep us in every game and our line will be improved enough to give our other RB’s enough space to be adequate enough to win games. Also add in Cooper’s 2nd year, Witten may slow but reliable, new OC that’s hopefully more creative...not worried about Zeke missing a few games. Plenty of other teams win games with much worse O lines, RB’s and receivers along with much worse defenses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some effects, sure but I wouldn’t be too worried about not winning games without him. I think our D will be even more improved and do enough to keep us in every game and our line will be improved enough to give our other RB’s enough space to be adequate enough to win games. Also add in Cooper’s 2nd year, Witten may slow but reliable, new OC that’s hopefully more creative...not worried about Zeke missing a few games. Plenty of other teams win games with much worse O lines, RB’s and receivers along with much worse defenses.
Your much more optimistic than I’d be .

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What exactly do you think the overwhelming 99% majority are willing to give up to help protect this 1% of problems players?
Its not just the 1% though. The bad press and constant news cycle hurts all players. If the NFL wasn't in the punishment business, what happened to Zeke recently wouldn't have even been a topic after the first day, it would have already left the news cycle. Players get tired of getting asked about these things as well. The overreach on punishment hurts the guys counting on said player. More than 1% of the Cowboys was affected by Zeke's suspension. It can be argued it ruined their season. Too much money and physical punishment is on the line to be throwing games away because the Commissioner wants to play politics.

aria

Reaction score

Since when does being arrested mean a player is immune from being punished by the league? Not saying your lying but where did you hear security said they were wrong to intervene? Link? I haven’t seen that yet but even if they did say that does that excuse Zeke from what he did? Nope, and doubt the league would see it that way either.

Again, I’m not saying he will be suspended. There’s no telling but if he is I’m not going to stomp my feet, whine and cry about how poor Zeke didn’t deserve it and things like this only happen to the Cowboys. If it happens, he has it coming. If it doesn’t happen he got lucky and won’t change a thing, which he hasn’t anyways.

aria

Reaction score
Your much more optimistic than I’d be .
Year before last I was optimistic, last year not so much. I have high hopes for this year and I think we have many more pieces in place to still be successful with or without Zeke. I’m not saying his absence wouldn’t make a difference, I just don’t think it’s as crucial as it would have been over the past couple of years. We’re in much better shape on both sides of the ball.

IMOF, after the Giants game last year it can be argued we were better off without him because the offense wasn’t so reliable on him, making us less predictable and one dimensional. But...that was a different OC and I expect Kellen to be much more creative either way so it’s a moot point.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

He wasn't arrested last time either. Not exactly sure why you think that actually matters here.

Also, I'm going to say you're making up the security saying they were in the wrong.

aria

Reaction score
Its not just the 1% though. The bad press and constant news cycle hurts all players. If the NFL wasn't in the punishment business, what happened to Zeke recently wouldn't have even been a topic after the first day, it would have already left the news cycle. Players get tired of getting asked about these things as well. The overreach on punishment hurts the guys counting on said player. More than 1% of the Cowboys was affected by Zeke's suspension. It can be argued it ruined their season. Too much money and physical punishment is on the line to be throwing games away because the Commissioner wants to play politics.
That’s a decent point OR his teammates can start talking to him and tell him to stop being a thug child and grow up. I don’t know why Jerrah hasn’t hired him a permanent babysitter yet like he did with Dez.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why do you think the league is disciplining the players?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It's irrelevant. They are not equipped to do it in a fair manner. They don't have subpoena power either so they rely on whatever they decide are "facts". Just because he put himself in a bad situation doesn't mean that it is right for the league to assume what the truth is and over punish. These things should be adjudicated independently paid for by both the players and the league equally.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's irrelevant. They are not equipped to do it in a fair manner. They don't have subpoena power either so they rely on whatever they decide are "facts". Just because he put himself in a bad situation doesn't mean that it is right for the league to assume what the truth is and over punish. These things should be adjudicated independently paid for by both the players and the league equally.
It’s totally relevant. The league like any business has the power to police itself to protect their Image and their Shield. Until you come to terms with these basic factors there’s no need to continue the discussion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perception is image and image is money. If it were not for the TV and sponsorship money, they could care less but the entire league is dependent on that. Just look at their snap to attention when the audience started slipping and even the playoff and SB ratings dropped significantly over the anthem.

And let's not forget that TV money isn't just the owners, that sets the cap and when they act, they're acting in everyone's interest. They're protecting the golden geese and making sure they keep laying.

What separates the NFL from all other sports is that it is now the national pastime and whether they like it or not, the NFL is full of role models for kids. The NFL has to police itself to insure they meet the standard set for their sport and they keep the highest amount of money from the TV nets coming. The other pro sports can't touch the NFL's numbers if you combine them.

Whether you agree or not, they set forth standards of conduct that every member must adhere to, including coaches and owners. If the legal system is involved, that slows the process until that is concluded but in matters not in the legal system, they move swiftly to resolve their own issues because the NFL knows better than anyone that the public feeds on negative and provocative news. By heading that off themselves and meting out their own "justice", they limit the impact of negativity and damage to the image and the golden geese.

The majority of Americans and fans do not want bad actors playing for the NFL. The perception is that the NFL polices their own better than the other sports and have disciplined owners, coaches and players alike.

Don't know what will happen to Kraft but he's been punished before so he's not skating, they may think he's suffered enough with the public humiliation and we don't know what's going to happen with Crawford or Elliott but I will not join in bashing Goodell or the league office if they both catch time outs because they are both aware of the rules. In fact, I think Crawford should get suspended because that behavior is exactly polar opposite of the image a league with overly big and strong athletes wants to convey to the public.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It’s totally relevant. The league like any business has the power to police itself to protect their Image and their Shield. Until you come to terms with these basic factors there’s no need to continue the discussion.
Just because you CAN do something. Doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Until you come to terms with that, there's no need to continue the discussion. History is littered with examples of abuse of the powerful over the powerless in a specific group. This "power" to police themselves is collectively bargained, it isn't divine right. You and many other fans keep lumping the NFL into the same category as "any other business" and the players are "just employees" of the owners, when in fact they are partners.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just because you CAN do something. Doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Until you come to terms with that, there's no need to continue the discussion. History is littered with examples of abuse of the powerful over the powerless in a specific group. This "power" to police themselves is collectively bargained, it isn't divine right. You and many other fans keep lumping the NFL into the same category as "any other business" and the players are "just employees" of the owners, when in fact they are partners.
I understand but the owners didn’t want to depend on the Justice system with players potentially damaging the Leagues imagine.

The league would rather deal with bad publicity with players being unjustly disciplined than what happened with Rice.

It presents a perception they are being tough. They can’t allow players to get away with such conduct. The Networks and their Sponsors won’t tolerate it. Follow the money trail.

IceBowler

Reaction score
So on what grounds would Zeke merit a suspension? Does the policy spell out domestic abuse as a reason for a suspension - which is why Zeke got suspended two seasons ago. Or is there a general code of conduct clause that is open to interpretation?

Dude didn't rate a suspension last time .. even Godell's investigator, a woman, met with the supposed "victim" and reported to the the League Office that no punitive measures should be taken. If you'll all recall .. Jerrah had been in Goddell's doghouse over his contract renewal .. That whole deal was a vendetta and payback in Roger's sick little twisted mind.

Haimerej

Reaction score

So true.

Haimerej

Reaction score

I'd argue there's more fans who don't care what the players do outside of the game than those who only want to watch saints on the field. We have a criminal justice system for a reason.

Look at how many times @stasheroo tried to say I was only saying what I said because Zeke is a Cowboy. Does that go the other way? Do fans of opposing teams overblow the actions of players from rival teams in hope of a suspension? You know they do.

The fact is we've seen players and coaches do worse than this on the sidelines. Zeke got close to a guy and bumped into him. Next time we see a player or coach get in close and scream, bump, poke, push, or make any type of, "intimidating," gesture towards anyone are the same people clutching their pearls about Zeke going to say anything? Of course not. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if @aria herself praised the action as that of a, "real coach," getting, "tough," with a player.

Reactions: G2