News: NBCSports: Jerry Jones wants Jimmy Johnson, and everyone else, to know who runs the show

fivetwos

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am very appreciative of Jimmy Johnson and the turning around of the team in such short order was all him. Yes ALL of it. Many could have bought that team at that time. Jimmy did it on the field, just slightly more difficult.

But….he was only here for five seasons, and his fingerprints were gone entirely only a few years after he left. In the whole scheme of things, what will that matter dozens or hundreds of years from now?

They induct people into HOFs etc, because the money grabs are so great. With each marginal entry it means much less.

Jerry turned it into ridiculousness when he suggested there are other coaches that are just as deserving. A clear slap in the face to Johnson and probable message not to bother keeping his calendar open.

Just makes Jerry look like the petty little child that he is.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Not that I am hoping or wishing for Jerry to check out, but I bet when he does he will want to have his funeral at ATT Stajum and charge fans for coming to his viewing. That is how petty he is.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And you didn’t acknowledge what led to that situation in the first place! An unnecessary tension created by the owner after the team starts winning championships!
So you are saying that you would eat the proverbial poo for years on end and not just the two that Jerry did.

I'm not buying it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
People forget that what started all the stuff between Jerry and Jimmy is when Jimmy was trying to hold a team meeting the week before the first Superbowl and Jerry busted in with some sheik bringing him right up to Troy Aikman.

Jimmy was livid and just said meeting dismissed and walked out.

Jerry is a carny idiot.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Any normal owner would have been ecstatic to win those SB'S that Jimmy gave him. I mean a coach is going to get the credit for winning. That's the way it goes. Andy Reid is getting the credit for KC's SB titles not the owner even though he hired him. Normal owners know how it is. When the Cowboys were winning in the 70's it was Landry as the face of the franchise. As a kid growing up in NC I don't even remember if I ever saw Clint Murchison . I always thought back then that Tex was the owner. lol ahh to go back to those days.

nobody

Reaction score
Had the W in the bag until The Choker with butterfingers had to ruin it.
Just like Dak choked against SF last season, except Seattle used slick balls that there was later a specific NFL rule made about so at least Romo had an excuse. Dak flat out choked. See how that works? Don't let your hatred of a player try to derail a thread about Jerry and the Ring of Honor.

Before you go off on a tangent and further derail, in the end Romo didn't get it done. The why doesn't really matter. Dak probably won't get it done and when he doesn't the why won't really matter. To just butt into a thread just to bash a player that has nothing to do with the subject at hand isn't cool and it happens way too often here. Stick to the subject.

Personally, Jerry has every right to exclude Jimmy. Do I like it? No. But I understand it given Jimmy's behavior at the end. I have no doubt that if Jimmy publicly apologized on national tv for his treatment of Jerry at the end there, Jerry would put him in. But both men are ego-driven so it won't happen.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Just like Dak choked against SF last season, except Seattle used slick balls that there was later a specific NFL rule made about so at least Romo had an excuse. Dak flat out choked. See how that works? Don't let your hatred of a player try to derail a thread about Jerry and the Ring of Honor.

Before you go off on a tangent and further derail, in the end Romo didn't get it done. The why doesn't really matter. Dak probably won't get it done and when he doesn't the why won't really matter. To just butt into a thread just to bash a player that has nothing to do with the subject at hand isn't cool and it happens way too often here. Stick to the subject.

Personally, Jerry has every right to exclude Jimmy. Do I like it? No. But I understand it given Jimmy's behavior at the end. I have no doubt that if Jimmy publicly apologized on national tv for his treatment of Jerry at the end there, Jerry would put him in. But both men are ego-driven so it won't happen.
It's not hatred. Just a fact that. That poster brought up 2006. I responded. Yes, the same goes for Dak's performance against SF. His 2 INTs could have been prevented with much smarter decisions to protect the football regardless of his teammates' performances around him.

Big_D

Reaction score
So you are saying that you would eat the proverbial poo for years on end and not just the two that Jerry did.

I'm not buying it.

That wasn't the state of the relationship from day 1. It became an issue only after Jerry tried to worm his way into the football decisions. Jimmy was trying to win games and Jerry was more concerned with putting himself front and center. Becoming the face of the franchise. He did everything possible to undermine the HC. That divorce certainly didn't prevent him from 30 years of complete incompetence. Spiteful turd that threw a dynasty in the toilet. He provoked that whole chain of events and he’s been a complete football dunce ever since. Him and his kid.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
That wasn't the state of the relationship from day 1. It became an issue only after Jerry tried to worm his way into the football decisions. Jimmy was trying to win games and Jerry was more concerned with putting himself front and center. Becoming the face of the franchise. He did everything possible to undermine the HC. That divorce certainly didn't prevent him from 30 years of complete incompetence. Spiteful turd that threw a dynasty in the toilet. He provoked that whole chain of events and he’s been a complete football dunce ever since. Him and his kid.
Jimmy was all business all the time, and 100% focused on his objectives, which was winning games. What infuriated Jimmy was when Jerry started turning the franchise into a circus. This caused unwanted and unnecessary distractions and was beginning to turn the focus away from the football aspect of the business. I think this was when Jimmy started pushing back, which eventually led to him saying enough was enough.

I can imagine some of the conversations (or arguments) between Jimmy and Jerry were about the direction of the team. Jimmy wanted to dominate the NFL while Jerry cared more about the spotlight and his celebrity status. The two could no longer coexist.

RD21

Reaction score
He also said how petty he looks in this situation. Very sad, vindictive man.
A Billion dollars can do that to a man...lol.

It'll probably be Stephen that puts Jimmy in the ROH. I just hope Jimmy outlives Jerry, so that happens while he's still alive.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hmm. I am thinking of removing all the non-Jerry Jones/Jimmy Johnson related comments. I don't know though. What should I do Mr. Magic 8 Ball?

KM8jI7G.jpg

DANG IT!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don't even think Jerry's pettiness is aimed at Johnson, but at the fans who appreciate what Jimmy did for this team and who hold Jerry vocally accountable for his now near three decades of ego trip holding the Cowboys back.

This is now squarely aimed at, and is a grudge against Cowboys fans.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The stadium should be named Jimmy Johnson stadium , never-mind the ROH. We have almost 30 years of data to see Jerry is completely useless without Jimmy.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jimmy was all business all the time, and 100% focused on his objectives, which was winning games. What infuriated Jimmy was when Jerry started turning the franchise into a circus. This caused unwanted and unnecessary distractions and was beginning to turn the focus away from the football aspect of the business. I think this was when Jimmy started pushing back, which eventually led to him saying enough was enough.

I can imagine some of the conversations (or arguments) between Jimmy and Jerry were about the direction of the team. Jimmy wanted to dominate the NFL while Jerry cared more about the spotlight and his celebrity status. The two could no longer coexist.

You could tell the direction they were headed at that time. He wanted to wear every hat and now he does. Sits himself in the middle of the press conferences, answers all the questions the HC used to answer. The HC is just a figurehead here.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't even think Jerry's pettiness is aimed at Johnson, but at the fans who appreciate what Jimmy did for this team and who hold Jerry vocally accountable for his now near three decades of ego trip holding the Cowboys back.

This is now squarely aimed at, and is a grudge against Cowboys fans.
I have been highly critical of Jones' mentality that compels him to act as he does such as keeping a 34-year old vise grip on general managership of his franchise, which is an atypical business operational tendancy in all team sports. However, I disagree Jones holds a grudge against Cowboys fans in general. It is my belief that he feels the overwhelming number of Cowboys fans have a favorable opinion of him.

On the other hand, I would agree Jones somewhat dislikes those he witnesses voicing or demonstrating favorable opinion of Johnson's head coaching legacy with the franchise. Even so, I do not think Jones' feelings remotely approach the level of the grudge he holds for Johnson. Fans may be collateral damage of how his mind works but he does not target them negatively unless he is given reason to in my opinion.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He got a ring without Jimmy. The Cowboys were two years removed from Jimmy when Jerry got his third ring.
There were still some of his players on that squad