NCAA 2018 College Football

coogrfan

Reaction score
Ultimately you are missing my point. Likely because you are an Irish fan.
I was too as a kid so I don't dislike them... but I dislike the system.

Every other team has to win a conference.
That means beating all comers in that conference in a conf champ game.

Only ND and UCF do not win P5 conf yet get ranked highly.
UCF isn't sniffing the CFP but ND obviously will be in.
ND has had a marginally rougher schedule but those two have seen two common opponents and UCF actually has the larger combined winning margin.
ND has won 5 games by less than a TD.

It's a great record but not a great overall resume. 1 true top 20 (currently) team.

The committee has generally wanted to see you beat a top notch team or at least face one.

2016 Ohio State and 2017 Bama?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
2016 Ohio State and 2017 Bama?
Yes even those schools have to compete for conference title so play the best the league has to offer or fail to get there.

The fact teams advance without winning a conference is why we are still at 'AP declares winner 2.0' instead of a true playoff.

You can only decide on a champ 2 ways.
1. Win your way in and win on field.
2. Vote teams in.

We are still voting teams in based on the perception of who's best which means they overlook any real criterion/rules and just circumvent the reporters.

True championships, i.e. every other D1 sport and every other level of football are won by advancing based on winning in your conference, seeding et al. Then winning in a playoff format versus all qualified.

The CFP not going to 8 or 16 and bringing all conf champs to the party is the ONLY thing keeping it from being the very best sporting experience America has to offer it's fans.

coogrfan

Reaction score
You're changing the argument.

You specifically singled out ND because "Only ND and UCF do not win P5 conf yet get ranked highly." I responded with two recent examples of P5 teams who failed to even reach their respective CCG's and yet still made the playoff.

DFWJC

Reaction score

You specifically singled out ND because "Only ND and UCF do not win P5 conf yet get ranked highly." I responded with two recent examples of P5 teams who failed to even reach their respective CCG's and yet still made the playoff.
and even the "Power 5" is a made up label.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

No, I am really not.
Notre Dame and UCF are the only 2 non- P5 conference schools that have truly been considered.
They are currently the only two that do not play in a conference with a title game that matters to the CFP committee.

Ohio State and Bama played in conferences with those games but simply absorbed the loss because of an eyeball test which is still the root cause of this all.
There should be zero eyeball test.
That has always been stupid, else just give the team week 1 in pre-season rankings the crown and move on.
Being a champion should never be subjective.

In a common sense 8 team system you'd have all 5 P5 winners and the next top 2 seeds P5 and top G5 seed.
There'd be zero dispute unless multiple G5 teams were similar but even then at least 1 would get a shot versus the none that do now.
Any P5 that cried on missing out but didn't win their conf game gets zero pity from me.

Notre Dame needs to move into the 21st century and join a conference.
They can keep Navy, USC and Michigan as foes if they desire. Could even alternate playing Mich and then Mich St; USC and Stanford.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
and even the "Power 5" is a made up label.
not really. it evolved out of the automatic qualifying conferences title.
when the big east fell down there became 5 "power" conferences that control the money and thus decision making at all levels of D1.

coogrfan

Reaction score
No, I am really not.
Notre Dame and UCF are the only 2 non- P5 conference schools that have truly been considered.
They are currently the only two that do not play in a conference with a title game that matters to the CFP committee.

Ohio State and Bama played in conferences with those games but simply absorbed the loss because of an eyeball test which is still the root cause of this all.
There should be zero eyeball test.
That has always been stupid, else just give the team week 1 in pre-season rankings the crown and move on.
Being a champion should never be subjective.

In a common sense 8 team system you'd have all 5 P5 winners and the next top 2 seeds P5 and top G5 seed.
There'd be zero dispute unless multiple G5 teams were similar but even then at least 1 would get a shot versus the none that do now.
Any P5 that cried on missing out but didn't win their conf game gets zero pity from me.

Notre Dame needs to move into the 21st century and join a conference.
They can keep Navy, USC and Michigan as foes if they desire. Could even alternate playing Mich and then Mich St; USC and Stanford.

I'm with you on most of this but I'm just not following your logic with regards to Notre Dame. We have established that is not necessary to win a conf. in order to reach the playoff. Why then should ND give up it's independent status? The Irish have a scheduling agreement with the ACC that means they are a member of a P5 conference in all but name. They played 10 P5 programs this season (a schedule that included traditional powers Michigan, Stanford, FSU and USC). By way of comparison Ohio St played 11,Clemson & OU played 10; Bama & UGA played 9.

cowboyec

Reaction score
2 SEC Heavy Weights just pounding each other.
Like Rocky/Apollo I.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Alabama is in no matter what. Now it's looking like Georgia will join