Neighborhood watch captain kills black teen - doesn't get arrested

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Stand up and be counted.....Sign the petition to call on Norman Wolfinger, Florida's 18th District State's Attorney, to investigate Trayvon's murder and prosecute George Zimmerman for the shooting and killing of Trayvon Martin.

http://www.***BLOCKED***/petitions/...RNGG&utm_medium=email&utm_source=action_alert

**WARNING** This one takes a while to come up, as it is a very hot topic right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
VietCowboy;4473963 said:
Yes I do. I've lived in shady neighborhoods and not once have I ever been followed or have had the police called on me. You may believe whatever you want, but I have read the statistics and have never heard of an Asian woman being thought she was acting suspicious just walking down the street at night.

If Zimmerman feels threatened enough to call the police on me, an asian woman half his size, that would be beyond ridiculous. He would have already exhibited more extreme paranoia against anybody, not just bully his neighbors.

Where you have lived in the past does not indicate what this man would have done had it been a long hair white guy or some other race. To claim you know what this man would do is silly. Do you know him personally? if not then how could you claim what he would do or not.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4473913 said:
I have to admit the more that comes out the more it looks like the guilt falls squarely upon Zimmerman and, possibly to an even greater degree, the police department.

I do wish the media would stop making this some huge racial issue however. A teenager was unjustly killed, why dishonor his life (and death) by selfishly using him as a platform for faux racial outrage?

If Zimmerman was ANYTHING but white or Trayvon was ANYTHING but black this would purely be about a man killing a young boy, and that fact is just as sad as any racial bias that may have played a part in this tragedy.

Doomsday101;4473925 said:
I agree with you. I don't see this as a black/white issue I see this as an unjustified murder. I could careless the color of the gunman or the victim what I do care about is a young man lost his life because of the actions of this so called watch captain and the police in my view botched this thing so bad that heads should roll

Bingo. And I also think the attorney for the victim's family is going about this the wrong way, trying to make this a hate crime instead of just a wrongful, unjustified murder.

1fisher

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4473335 said:
This situation has reminded me of how much I loathe Al Sharpton. I'm watching him talk on MSNBC about this and he is such a disgusting race-baiting waste of oxygen. His very existence sets back race relations on a daily basis.

I agree 100%. Why didn't he make an appearance when the kid was doused with gasoline and set on fire?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
VietCowboy;4473926 said:
This is because the reason Treyvon was targeted was because he was black and in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I wore a hoodie walking through that neighborhood, Zimmerman would not have reported me as suspicious. I know that for a fact.

That may or may not be true, but Zimmerman has called 911 46 times since January... if all of those 46 calls were to report a black person in the neighborhood, then you may have a point...

Perhaps he's a suspicious nut that saw a teen that didn't live in the neighborhood, and as usual, called 911...

That being said, it appears like murder at this point...

I also want to point out to the race-baiters (not saying that's you viet) that Zimmerman is a Jewish name, but the guy is a LATINO... NOT Caucasian...

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4473982 said:
Where you have lived in the past does not indicate what this man would have done had it been a long hair white guy or some other race. To claim you know what this man would do is silly. Do you know him personally? if not then how could you claim what he would do or not.

Yes I do know. My former boyfriend went to medical school at UF, and I've visited on many occasions as an 18-year old girl walking about in a gated community. I've worn hoodies. At night. I got my purse snatched at a Publix while I was there (wasn't paying attention to it, but I got it back. the police actually tried to get me to report more than $200 worth of stolen item so they could press charges on the black teen, but all I had in there was a dumbphone not worth more than $20).

Zimmerman's 911 call, his behavior in the past years harassing is neighbors to look out for young black men proves without a doubt in MY MIND that if it was ME walking home from 7-11 in a hoodie, he would just have looked but not called 9-1-1 on me. You can believe otherwise, but that's my opinion based on known statistics and experience and data collection regarding him. If he perceived a 120lb 5'2 Asian woman to be suspicious and a threat to him then that falls outside of statistics. If you can prove that he would have, then I'll change my mind (i.e. he's got severe paranoia for anyone walking around at night).

Here's what a neighbor had to say

“Zimmerman went door-to-door asking residents to be on the lookout, specifically referring to young black men who appeared to be outsiders …"

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/...-trayvon-martin-a-habitual.html#storylink=cpy

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4474009 said:
That may or may not be true, but Zimmerman has called 911 46 times since January... if all of those 46 calls were to report a black person in the neighborhood, then you may have a point...

Perhaps he's a suspicious nut that saw a teen that didn't live in the neighborhood, and as usual, called 911...

That being said, it appears like murder at this point...

I also want to point out to the race-baiters (not saying that's you viet) that Zimmerman is a Jewish name, but the guy is a LATINO... NOT Caucasian...

I think he enjoys power trips which is why he does what he does and also calls 911 so often.

I think the fact that he was black gave him a reason to provoke the situation even more than he probably usually does. I wouldn't doubt if he has had a fascination about shooting someone and he decided to use this situation to make it happen solely because the kid was black.

I hope they charge him with murder and that murder be considered a hate crime. Give him life without parole.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
VietCowboy;4473926 said:
This is because the reason Treyvon was targeted was because he was black and in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I wore a hoodie walking through that neighborhood, Zimmerman would not have reported me as suspicious. I know that for a fact.

I disagree with your pemise, though not necessarily in THIS case. Zimmerman may be a full blown racist, I have no idea. That being said I know that "gang" or "hood" attire is what draws suspicion for many people, not the color of the person wearing it. I have to admit that certain types of clothing subconciously draw my suspicion, but it is independent of the person wearing it because plenty of hood rats are hispanic, asian or white. Generally speaking I am more suspicious of teenagers/early-20s males who dress a certain way because time and again it plays out that certain lifestyles are associated with certain types of clothing and those lifestyes are more often associated with crime than others.

We can argue about the subconcious nature of suspicion in this society all day long but just because he thought he was suspicious because he was wearing a hoodie doesnt mean it had anything to do with him being black. It may have, but does that really change anything? The kid is still dead and Zimmerman killed him, does it matter why he thought he was suspicious? The bottom line is that suspicion is one thing, unjustly acting on that suspicion is another entirely.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
VietCowboy;4474022 said:
Yes I do know. My former boyfriend went to medical school at UF, and I've visited on many occasions as an 18-year old girl walking about in a gated community. I've worn hoodies. At night. I got my purse snatched at a Publix while I was there (wasn't paying attention to it, but I got it back. the police actually tried to get me to report more than $200 worth of stolen item so they could press charges on the black teen, but all I had in there was a dumbphone not worth more than $20).

Zimmerman's 911 call, his behavior in the past years harassing is neighbors to look out for young black men proves without a doubt in MY MIND that if it was ME walking home from 7-11 in a hoodie, he would just have looked but not called 9-1-1 on me. You can believe otherwise, but that's my opinion based on known statistics and experience and data collection regarding him. If he perceived a 120lb 5'2 Asian woman to be suspicious and a threat to him then that falls outside of statistics. If you can prove that he would have, then I'll change my mind (i.e. he's got severe paranoia for anyone walking around at night).

“Zimmerman went door-to-door asking residents to be on the lookout, specifically referring to young black men who appeared to be outsiders …"

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/...-trayvon-martin-a-habitual.html#storylink=cpy

But Eric Boyer said it wasn't so....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
VietCowboy;4474022 said:

Fine, let's assume Zimmerman is a racist. It's a perfectly valid and plausible opinion considering the circumstances. My question is this: Why does it matter? If I walk up to someone and shoot them in cold blood because they are black does that make it any worse than if I shot them just for kicks? Or because of how they dressed?

Murder is murder. Intent matters in a court of law, but reasoning should not assuming the person was of sound mind. It's why the idea of a hate crime is so silly to me, it is based on the premise that killing someone because you don't like one of their traits somehow makes the murder worse.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
trickblue;4474009 said:

H'es supposedly half white/half latino, I don't think that makes him "Latino". But what's being overlooked, in terms of the race issue here, is he doesn't have to be racist to have racially stereotyped Martin.

Some people want to make this a white vs black issue, and I'll leave them to that. Even discarding that though, that doesn't mean race wasn't in play here.

The30YardSlant;4474044 said:
Murder is murder. Intent matters in a court of law, but reasoning should not assuming the person was of sound mind. It's why the idea of a hate crime is so silly to me, it is based on the premise that killing someone because you don't like one of their traits somehow makes the murder worse.

You explained why murder is not murder in your followup statement. When you're dealing with something like this, you start planning your defense before you ever step in a court room.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
VietCowboy;4474022 said:

So you know what is in people minds? Because you say you know how people think does not make it true.

As for you walking down the street maybe Zimmerman would not maybe he would think it was just a woman that is a big stretch to then claim because he would not do it to a woman that he would then only do it to a black.

You want to make this about race have at it I'm sick of these games

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;4474051 said:
H'es supposedly half white/half latino, I don't think that makes him "Latino". But what's being overlooked, in terms of the race issue here, is he doesn't have to be racist to have racially stereotyped Martin.

Some people want to make this a white vs black issue, and I'll leave them to that. Even discarding that though, that doesn't mean race wasn't in play here.

I agree with this, but I still don't see why race matters in the context of the killing. If it WASNT a race-based shooting the kid wouldnt be any less dead.

Call a murderer a murderer and leave it at that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4474044 said:
Fine, let's assume Zimmerman is a racist. It's a perfectly valid and plausible opinion considering the circumstances. My question is this: Why does it matter? If I walk up to someone and shoot them in cold blood because they are black does that make it any worse than if I shot them just for kicks? Or because of how they dressed?

Very good point.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CowboyMike;4473631 said:
Especially since they never attempted to identify Trayvon nor try to find his family. Only when his family pushed for him to be found did the police make an effort to connect the dots. And even then they showed his father a picture of him with blood seeping out of his mouth so he could identify him, as if to imply that he was a criminal. Tasteless.

This case is equally about the corruption in the police department as it is about whether Zimmerman is guilty or not.

Great points.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4474038 said:
I disagree with your pemise, though not necessarily in THIS case. Zimmerman may be a full blown racist, I have no idea. That being said I know that "gang" or "hood" attire is what draws suspicion for many people, not the color of the person wearing it. I have to admit that certain types of clothing subconciously draw my suspicion, but it is independent of the person wearing it because plenty of hood rats are hispanic, asian or white. Generally speaking I am more suspicious of teenagers/early-20s males who dress a certain way because time and again it plays out that certain lifestyles are associated with certain types of clothing and those lifestyes are more often associated with crime than others.

We can argue about the subconcious nature of suspicion in this society all day long but just because he thought he was suspicious because he was wearing a hoodie doesnt mean it had anything to do with him being black. It may have, but does that really change anything? The kid is still dead and Zimmerman killed him, does it matter why he thought he was suspicious? The bottom line is that suspicion is one thing, unjustly acting on that suspicion is another entirely.

I actually agree with 99% of what you just said here. I haven't said, nor fully believe given little evidence, that Zimmerman was racist. Only that he profiled based on stereotypes.

But, it does matter why he thought he was suspicious because it is wrong to assume guilt. The police do it, and the statistics bear it out. This profiling is wrong because you shouldn't assume guilt based on how someone looks. I've never been pulled over while I was driving, but when my Latina sisters (in my sorority) was driving, we've been pulled over three times and the police always had some bogus story for why he needed to see ALL our licenses (even those of us not driving). It stinks.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;4474051 said:
You explained why murder is not murder in your followup statement. When you're dealing with something like this, you start planning your defense before you ever step in a court room.

There are legal degrees of murder that are based on INTENT, but the reasoning of a sane individual has no business affecting the outcome of a murder trial nor the punishment.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;4474051 said:

Very important thing to note. He may not have been racist, per se, but it doesn't mean that some sort of racial profiling didn't occur.

Something to note is Martin's mother is not treating this as racial issue. However, Martin's father is definitely treating it as a racial issue.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looks like Zimmerman is the bad guy in all of this.

But I bet he would have reacted the same if it was a long haired white guy walking around his "turf" at night.

Wannabe cops like him love the feeling of power and are very territorial.

I cannot stand race baiting posters who try to find crap in every case.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4474076 said:
Very important thing to note. He may not have been racist, per se, but it doesn't mean that some sort of racial profiling didn't occur.

Something to note is Martin's mother is not treating this as racial issue. However, Martin's father is definitely treating it as a racial issue.

this is what i feel also. i dont' think zimmerman is racist, but i do believe he used the "race card" to call 911 and play it, which is just as wrong to me.