Nets to make offer for Dwight Howard

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4299827 said:
im pretty sure the magic will get more than Lopez, and i think most anyone thats not a delusional lakers fan would rather have Lopez than Bynum. Lopez isnt a headcase and he doesnt have shaky knees and misses 20+ games on a yearly basis.

Bynum is good if he is healthy, and thats a massive IF. even then, he isnt that much better than Lopez.
Yes, as in TWO 1st round draft picks plus Lopez...and more suppossedly.

Look, there's a lot of speculation on this board, and some coming from me.

But I do have some pretty good information that can not come out yet. One of my closest friends since 1991 works with Dan Fegan. Dan may not represent all of these guys, but he knows a heck of a lot about what is being offered all around.

kev8822

Reaction score
DFWJC;4299949 said:
It is a bit of a headscratcher. But we have several on this site, so it's not too uncommon.

My dad was a huge Roger Starbauch fan. He Bought a si poster of him when i was 2. Been a fan of the Cowboys since. My grandpa and uncles were huge Larry Bird fans, and I always rooted against who ever they were pulling for.

MC KAos

Reaction score
so now that the CP3 trade is dead, i think the lakers might actually get howard! thats a nightmare situation for me! id much rather them get CP3 than howard! i hope to god the nets get Howard

JBS

Reaction score
UVAwahoos;4299869 said:
LOL @ people who are both Cowboys and Lakers fans. They're absolutely the biggest joke fans of all time. Either you jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon in the 90s, or jumped on the Lakers bandwagon after they traded for Shaq. Or you just started out on both bandwagons based off popularity and past success. Either way, you have zero credibility and def. should not be allowed to participate in sports discussions.

its not normal to like the cowboys, lakers, yankees, red wings, barcelona, manchester united, and usain bolt?

MC KAos

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4300068 said:
its not normal to like the cowboys, lakers, yankees, red wings, barcelona, manchester united, and usain bolt?

actually, as a barca fan, i recent that. barca is the greatest team ever now, but they had always been little brother of sorts to Real.

JBS

Reaction score
MC KAos;4300087 said:
actually, as a barca fan, i recent that. barca is the greatest team ever now, but they had always been little brother of sorts to Real.

too bad every1 and their mother is a barca fan now

MC KAos

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4300128 said:
too bad every1 and their mother is a barca fan now

ya, its not like i was or am a fan like i am of the spurs, cowboys or ut anyway. I just follow soccer more for the players than teams themselves. But my dad has always hated Real Madrid because of a Mexican player that played there in the 80s (hugo sanchez) so i kind of learned to hate them too. Real just reminds me of the yankees, buying the best players to be good. I like that Barca pretty much built their current team from young, preteen kids, developed them, and now they are a machine.

i still hate Man U a lot more though, and i learned that on my own.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but the Lakers could still easily get both Paul and Howard, the key will be Luke Walton's contract. If they deal both Gasol, Bynum and the Mavs+their own 2012 first round picks, they can drop their pay roll to a bit less than $68 Million (which includes Howards $19 or so Million).

Then, if they amnesty Ron Artest, to drop their payroll to $60.5 Million. If they can find a taker for Luke Walton's expiring contract, let's say Walton+2014 first rounder just to take him, they then drop to just under $55 Million. However, with 8 holds for minimum salary players, that puts their payroll just under $59 million, just over the cap.

Where it gets interesting is the CBA has a provision that allows players to reneotiate their salaries. Players can reduce their salaries by up to 40%, but teams have to take on another year at that price as a result. So if Kobe were to drop his 2012 salary ($27,849,149) by 40%, that would again drop their payroll to $43.5 Million about $15 million under the cap.

Now ofcousre Miami or NY would do this as well if Paul hit free agency, but I would imagine his choices would be 1.) LA (stick it to Stern) 2.) NY (his plan all along 3.) Miami (was never an option till now)

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4300347 said:
If they can find a taker for Luke Walton's expiring contract, let's say Walton+2014 first rounder just to take him, they then drop to just under $55 Million.

Actually, it's not even that complicated. Teams get 1 Amnesty per year under the CBA, so the Lakers are waiting to see if Walton will medically retire (and get the cap savings w/o using the amnesty) but if not they could amnesty him this year and Ron next year.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4300381 said:
Actually, it's not even that complicated. Teams get 1 Amnesty per year under the CBA, so the Lakers are waiting to see if Walton will medically retire (and get the cap savings w/o using the amnesty) but if not they could amnesty him this year and Ron next year.

im pretty sure you only get one amnesty cut, so if teams they dont use it this year, they could use it next year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
DFWJC;4299953 said:
Yes, as in TWO 1st round draft picks plus Lopez...and more suppossedly.

Look, there's a lot of speculation on this board, and some coming from me.

But I do have some pretty good information that can not come out yet. One of my closest friends since 1991 works with Dan Fegan. Dan may not represent all of these guys, but he knows a heck of a lot about what is being offered all around.
This was concerning Odum to Dallas. It was looking real possible but not at all a lock.
More to come folks.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
MC KAos;4300384 said:
im pretty sure you only get one amnesty cut, so if teams they dont use it this year, they could use it next year.

the exact wording is

"each team permitted to waive 1 player prior to any season of the CBA (only for contracts in place at the inception of the CBA) and have 100% of the salary removed for cap and tax purposes"

maybe it could be read as, you can release 1 player, but it must be prior to the season, but to me it reads you can release 1 per year.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4300393 said:
the exact wording is

"each team permitted to waive 1 player prior to any season of the CBA (only for contracts in place at the inception of the CBA) and have 100% of the salary removed for cap and tax purposes"

maybe it could be read as, you can release 1 player, but it must be prior to the season, but to me it reads you can release 1 per year.

im not sure, but i just know that ive heard so called NBA insiders on TV say that a) if a team doesnt use their amnesty cut this year they can save it for next year and b)how stupid the knicks are for picking up billups' option, then using their one time amnesty cut on him, when they might have needed it next year if amar'e isnt healthy

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
MC KAos;4300410 said:
b)how stupid the knicks are for picking up billups' option, then using their one time amnesty cut on him, when they might have needed it next year if amar'e isnt healthy

We had to pick it up 5 days after the NBA season ended (or maybe 5 days after our season ended). At the time we had no idea if there would even be a season, if Tyson Chandler would be available or if we could trade for CP3 (would've needed Billups contract to match salaries).

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I think they had to promise billups they'd pick it up for him to report after the Den/nyk trade?

-
Sounds like the deal was done. Duh-white even told teammates he thought it was done. I guess ownership nixed it to keep their franchise center filling seats for half a season. By the deadline they'll wise up and 75% he'll be w/ his preferred team, the Nets.

Reaction score
Even if the Nets get Dwight they're still not a contender. The Heat, Bulls, Knicks, and Celtics all are still better. Next season they're probably gonna be the 4th best team in the East, but Miami, New York, or Chicago aren't going anywhere for the next 5 years so that's probably where the Nets will stay. In the West the Thunder, Mavs, Lakers, Grizzlies, and maybe even Spurs are better. So even with Dwight the Nets still aren't a top 10 team. Deron and Dwight is a nice combo, but that won't win you any championships.

I've come to the conclusion that Dwight isn't going to the Lakers and I'm just fine with that. Orlando is asking for way too much. Bynum and Gasol. That's way too much. Dwight is a great player, but he's no prime Shaq. If the Lakers were to make that trade they'd actually be worse and Orlando would be better than they currently are. I still the Lakers can win the title as currently constructed. Yeah they lost Odom, but they got 2 solid players in McRoberts and Murphy. You still got Kobe who looks to be in for a MONSTER year. Gasol is still a beast and the 2nd best power forward, Bynum when healthy is as good as any center outside of Dwight.

jcollins28

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4323479 said:
Gasol is still a beast and the 2nd best power forward,

LOL what?! Gasol is not even the best power forward that plays in L.A let alone 2nd best in the NBA.

1 Kevin Love

2 Dirk

3 Blake Griffin

Gasoft maybe top 5 at best.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Even if the Nets get Dwight they're still not a contender. The Heat, Bulls, Knicks, and Celtics all are still better. Next season they're probably gonna be the 4th best team in the East, but Miami, New York, or Chicago aren't going anywhere for the next 5 years so that's probably where the Nets will stay. In the West the Thunder, Mavs, Lakers, Grizzlies, and maybe even Spurs are better. So even with Dwight the Nets still aren't a top 10 team. Deron and Dwight is a nice combo, but that won't win you any championships.
I agree with the first 65% of this. But they will be a hot spot and improve to tip 5 after about a year

I've come to the conclusion that Dwight isn't going to the Lakers and I'm just fine with that. Orlando is asking for way too much. Bynum and Gasol. That's way too much. Dwight is a great player, but he's no prime Shaq. If the Lakers were to make that trade they'd actually be worse and Orlando would be better than they currently are. I still the Lakers can win the title as currently constructed. Yeah they lost Odom, but they got 2 solid players in McRoberts and Murphy. You still got Kobe who looks to be in for a MONSTER year. Gasol is still a beast and the 2nd best power forward, Bynum when healthy is as good as any center outside of Dwight.

The lakers still have a chance. They can go:

LAL trade: Bynum/Gasol
LAL receive: scola/Dwight/Turk

Hou trade: scola, dragic, Kevin Martin

Magic receive: Martin, Bynum, dragic