Next Demarcus Ware?

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
We may have to wait until Free Agency starts to get a feel for what the Cowboys will do.

If they sign Jeff Backus, then we can cross out RT, and if they sign Chris Hope or some other high profile FS Free agent, then you can cross that out as well.

I'm anxious to see what we do, and I'll give a better read on the draft.

Well thats a good point. I really hope all the FAs we bring in are young. Ideally people that are 27 years old and younger. Please BP no more 30+ year old free agents.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Well thats a good point. I really hope all the FAs we bring in are young. Ideally people that are 27 years old and younger. Please BP no more 30+ year old free agents.
Oh gosh no. No more of those, you hit it on the spot.

Chris Hope is 25, Jeff Backus is 28 but you also have RT Kevin Shaffer of the Falcons who is 26. LeCharles Bentley is 26, but all of the kickers we want are over 30.

That shouldn't be a problem though, I think Morten Anderson is 60 and still somewhere kicking. :laugh1:

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I wasn't debating over another player, I was just responding to the next Demarcus Ware types.. I was just throwing one out there.:)

To be real with every fan on the board... I wish we had a bunch of Demarcus Wares cause Demarcus Ware showed the pass-rush ability at linebacker that we didn't have in a long time...:starspin

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
To be real with every fan on the board... I wish we had a bunch of Demarcus Wares cause Demarcus Ware showed the pass-rush ability at linebacker that we didn't have in a long time...:starspin

There is more to playing defense than rushing the passer, Dallas giving up 4.2 per rush is not going to cut it and the loses to the Giants and the Skins that cost us a chance at the playoffs had no problem running the ball aginst Dallas. It is great to have a player who can bring the outside rush and Ware is only going to get better as he learns his position but if you can't stop the run a pass rush will do little to help because teams will keep running the ball and set themselfs up with great down and distance on 2nd and 3rd down.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
There is more to playing defense than rushing the passer, Dallas giving up 4.2 per rush is not going to cut it and the loses to the Giants and the Skins that cost us a chance at the playoffs had no problem running the ball aginst Dallas. It is great to have a player who can bring the outside rush and Ware is only going to get better as he learns his position but if you can't stop the run a pass rush will do little to help because teams will keep running the ball and set themselfs up with great down and distance on 2nd and 3rd down.

but you still have to think... when was the last time we had somebody on the team with double digit sacks?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
but you still have to think... when was the last time we had somebody on the team with double digit sacks?

Considering this defense was new to our players I think we did a pretty good job with 37 sacks on the season and I do think Ware will become dominate as he gets a better feel for the OLB spot. I also know when playing teams like the Commanders and the Giants you better be able to stop the run and we failed to do that and I feel that played a big part in us not making the playoffs.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Considering this defense was new to our players I think we did a pretty good job with 37 sacks on the season and I do think Ware will become dominate as he gets a better feel for the OLB spot. I also know when playing teams like the Commanders and the Giants you better be able to stop the run and we failed to do that and I feel that played a big part in us not making the playoffs.

Doomsday no matter the way you look at it, we was racking up sacks the first half of the season, what happen to the second half, Cowboys should have had way more sacks than 37, and they should have had way more pressure...

Cowboys punished Mark Brunnell the first game, what happen to the second... This whole season has been a disapointment, we was suppose to win our division and just looking at how sorry the NFL was we should have been in the superbowl getting even with the steelers.. If the Cowboys get anybody on offense it should be Sinorice Moss, DJ Shockley, Michael Robinson, Vernon Davis, Ledale White, or Matt Leniart if he slips<Them are the only offensive players we should really be given or look at on the first day or early second...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Doomsday no matter the way you look at it, we was racking up sacks the first half of the season, what happen to the second half, Cowboys should have had way more sacks than 37, and they should have had way more pressure...

Cowboys punished Mark Brunnell the first game, what happen to the second... This whole season has been a disapointment, we was suppose to win our division and just looking at how sorry the NFL was we should have been in the superbowl getting even with the steelers.. If the Cowboys get anybody on offense it should be Sinorice Moss, DJ Shockley, Michael Robinson, Vernon Davis, Ledale White, or Matt Leniart if he slips<Them are the only offensive players we should really be given or look at on the first day or early second...

And if you can't stop the run it really does not matter how great your pass rush is because team will continue to run and set themselfs up in short yardage situation. What I'm getting at is I think we will be fine with the people we have in rushing the passer but if we can't stop the run we will have trouble in the NFC East where coaches like Coughlin and Gibbs love to run the ball.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And if you can't stop the run it really does not matter how great your pass rush is because team will continue to run and set themselfs up in short yardage situation. What I'm getting at is I think we will be fine with the people we have in rushing the passer but if we can't stop the run we will have trouble in the NFC East where coaches like Coughlin and Gibbs love to run the ball.

Cowboys know how to stop the run, it's time to get pass-rushers...anytime Cowboys stop L.T. and Shaun Alexander two best backs in the game they can stop the run... When we got Quarterbacks like Kerry Collins scrambling for yards its a problem, Jake Plummer... We should have beaten Broncos and Seahawks... We was in close games this year given the Quarterback extra time in the pocket...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Cowboys know how to stop the run, it's time to get pass-rushers...anytime Cowboys stop L.T. and Shaun Alexander two best backs in the game they can stop the run... When we got Quarterbacks like Kerry Collins scrambling for yards its a problem, Jake Plummer... We should have beaten Broncos and Seahawks... We was in close games this year given the Quarterback extra time in the pocket...

We do? is that why Barber and Portis went over 100 yards aginst us? Oakland Denver and KC ran the ball well aginst us. I think we have the people to rush the passer but I question the ability of the ILB to stop the rush.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
We do? is that why Barber and Portis went over 100 yards aginst us? Oakland Denver and KC ran the ball well aginst us. I think we have the people to rush the passer but I question the ability of the ILB to stop the rush.
Exactly, we started out pretty strong versus the run but faded as the season wore on. Combination of wear and tear up front and injury to Dat were the biggest culprits.

Cowboys would do well this offseason to add a stud ILB and and another big body at NT to rotate with Ferguson.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Those guys were pass rushers... but I think what he might have been saying is that guys like Lloyd were LB's in college... not converted DE's. I'm sure you could find examples of college DE's who were then converted to SOLB's in a pro 3-4... but I'd think that would be the exception more than the rule. Most (I think without looking it up) were just bigger LB's from college who could play SOLB in a 3-4... not DE's like Ware.

Like I said, Lloyd was a LB in college who had experience in coverage and running sideline to sideline against the run. Foley was a LB in college too.
Steve Foley
DE, NE Louisiana

Steve Foley 86 NE Louisiana 6034 261 4.68 forty

1997- Led the nation in sacks...set school record for both sacks and tackles for losses in a season...invited to play in Blue-Grey, Senior Bowl, and Hula Bowl, strong inthe final 10 games...two time all-independent selection...1996-Started nine games...8th on team with 54 tackles...2nd on team in tackles for loss...1995- 5th on the team in tackles with 58...capped his sophomore season by being named to the third team of the National All-Independent squad...1994- Prop 48...

He has come out of nowhere after the All-Star games to become a viable first day selection in the draft...He is strictly an edge rusher that is somewhat undersized, but relies on excellent speed and AA to get to the football. He was virtually unblockable in the Blue-Gray game, and flashed with his AA and quickness at the Senior Bowl. He is not an accomplished player by any stretch of the imagination, and most of his skills are raw. He does not have enough size to be a force vs. the run, and he can be engulfed by big OTs.. He is at his best in 1 on 1 matchups, and he will usually win those battles, hands down. This is an interesting guy to develop AA, and he should be able to contribute early as a nickel type pass rusher.
Foley was a DE in college, not a linebacker.

If the 3-4 is too be effective, you need both OLB as a great pass rushing threat. Then and only then, will the Offense be in a guessing game. Which OLB is coming. The 3-4 is really at is peak, when the ILB are great blitzers. Then, the QB has to treat both OLB and ILB as pass rushing threats. This really complicates the centers ability to call a protection shceme. The center is ulitmately responsible for sliding protection to the blitzing side, but if he or the QB can't deciepher who is "hot", its very difficult.

Think about how many sacks Porter got in the playoff. On how many of those plays was he unblocked. Quite a few. Of Wares 8 sacks, how many times was he unblocked. Imagine the possiblities....

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'll say this again. The NT is the number 1 piece when it comes to stopping the run. Ferguson weighed around 330 and Parcells made him lose weight, and he should've made him lose only 5 pounds.

Size does matter in the NT position, and if we don't address this, we will continue to suffer.. The next thing is your interior Linemen. Spears/Canty were ROOKIES incase some of us forgot. Watch this year and you'll see how these 2 control the LOS better. Then the ILB crew was not great. James was pretty good, but was not all world. Burnett could be the answer there, and lets hope he is.

Then the OLB's. They are there to help seal off the edges and put constant pressure on the QB. Ware was a rookie and near the end of the year, he started to shut down his side much better in the run game. Fujita was pretty bad, because his agility was not good, he had no fierce burst off the ball to get to the QB, and in opened space he was a liability.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I'll say this again. The NT is the number 1 piece when it comes to stopping the run. Ferguson weighed around 330 and Parcells made him lose weight, and he should've made him lose only 5 pounds.

Size does matter in the NT position, and if we don't address this, we will continue to suffer.. The next thing is your interior Linemen. Spears/Canty were ROOKIES incase some of us forgot. Watch this year and you'll see how these 2 control the LOS better. Then the ILB crew was not great. James was pretty good, but was not all world. Burnett could be the answer there, and lets hope he is.

Then the OLB's. They are there to help seal off the edges and put constant pressure on the QB. Ware was a rookie and near the end of the year, he started to shut down his side much better in the run game. Fujita was pretty bad, because his agility was not good, he had no fierce burst off the ball to get to the QB, and in opened space he was a liability.

If Fujita is the starter come next season we're going to have to really question what we did this offseason.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:

Once Ware bulk up he will be even more awsome..:star:

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
If Fujita is the starter come next season we're going to have to really question what we did this offseason.
That's why the Dallas Cowboys need to get Manny Lawson as a linebacker in 3-4/ Defensive End in 4-3

Draft Victor Adeyanju as a linebacker in 3-4/ Defensive End in 4-3....:star:

neosapien23

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
That's why the Dallas Cowboys need to get Manny Lawson as a linebacker in 3-4/ Defensive End in 4-3

Draft Victor Adeyanju as a linebacker in 3-4/ Defensive End in 4-3....:star:

Which one? I think Adeyanju will be a 2nd rounder. We could take Jon Scott in the first and have both postions filled.