NFL.com coach rankings

Sydla

Reaction score
Did he not throw 3 INT’s and have less than a 50% completion rate in the playoffs against Washington?

And I never said he was a bum but he got hurt a lot and choked in big games. Even Parcells couldn’t win a playoff game with him because he choked.

Yes, Romo had a bad game against Washington. But by any rational view you are devaluing Romo to make an excuse for Garrett.

I have an honest question. Will there ever be a point in time where you will actually judge Garrett for his coaching. Because up until now, it seems obvious you haven’t judged him at all, largely chalking up the largely average 7 year run totally to forces and entities outside his control.

aria

Reaction score
He gets what he wants more than you want to think. For example, he wanted Elliott when the scouts largely wanted Ramsey.

This idea that he has no say in anything is just more excuse making for him.

If he has no say and doesn’t largely get what he wants, then people like you should never demand he get credit for the roster or roster building or personnel.
Oh, and this just started last year or do you know specifically how long he’s got what he’s asked for. So all this recent credit going to McClay for drafting should be going to JG instead? Lol, ok.

Even if he was solely responsible for Zeke, is Zeke not our best player? Is he not the one that everyone says our entire offense rebolves around? Is he not the one that everyone gives credit to for our W’s and makes excuses for when we lose? If that’s the case, kudos to Jason, give the man some credit then. Clap clap clap!

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh, and this just started last year or do you know specifically how long he’s got what he’s asked for. So all this recent credit going to McClay for drafting should be going to JG instead? Lol, ok.

Even if he was solely responsible for Zeke, is Zeke not our best player? Is he not the one that everyone says our entire offense rebolves around? Is he not the one that everyone gives credit to for our W’s and makes excuses for when we lose? If that’s the case, kudos to Jason, give the man some credit then. Clap clap clap!

You of course exaggerated the point.

You want to make it seem like he’s a powerless entity that has no say in the direction of the team. I mean it’s clear why you want to think that...... it’s a great excuse for Garrett.

But in reality Garrett is pretty involved in personnel. The example I gave you, it was well documented that Garrett was a big driving force in Elliott being selected over Ramsey.

He doesn’t have all the power but your stance that he’s a victim here with no control is largely BS.

aria

Reaction score
Yes, Romo had a bad game against Washington. But by any rational view you are devaluing Romo to make an excuse for Garrett.

I have an honest question. Will there ever be a point in time where you will actually judge Garrett for his coaching. Because up until now, it seems obvious you haven’t judged him at all, largely chalking up the largely average 7 year run totally to forces and entities outside his control.
I may be devaluing Romo, it all depends on how you value him in the first place. I saw Romo as a very good QB who had a tendency to make big mistakes in big games. Even if he was great for 90% of the season, kt means nothing if you can’t consistently do it when it matters most.

I also saw Tony as a fragile QB who couldn’t finish seasons. Was he really fragile or was he not that good and held on to the ball too long trying to make something happen? OR.....did he not have enough talent around him to live up to his potential just as JG hasn’t had the same talent given to these other coaches abling him to coach up to his full potential?

HungryLion

Reaction score
No, he doesn’t get negative points but he was given the personnel, JG wasn’t on defense. How many threads were there of people whining and crying about how bad our secondary was? They practically let every starter walk and people here were applauding, what does that tell you about the quality of players he’s had on defense? Lee is hurt every season, we haven’t had a true pass rusher in years until DLaw’s break out year. We have a gimpy project LB starting and a secondary full of rookies. We’ve never had depth.

Are you going to tell me a HC who has AR as his QB and Jay Cutler as his QB should be equally evaluated?

The personnel difference excuse doesn’t really fly though. We don’t know how Garrett would have done, if he switched teams with any of those coaches. Nor do we know how they would have done, had they been coaching the cowboys.

But I don’t see how that justifiea The opinion that he is better than them. That’s silly.

I mean the results aren’t even really close. Those 3 coaches all have 8+ Playoff wins and a Super Bowl win to their credit. Garrett has 1 Playoff win.

The results aren’t even close.

aria

Reaction score
You of course exaggerated the point.

You want to make it seem like he’s a powerless entity that has no say in the direction of the team. I mean it’s clear why you want to think that...... it’s a great excuse for Garrett.

But in reality Garrett is pretty involved in personnel. The example I gave you, it was well documented that Garrett was a big driving force in Elliott being selected over Ramsey.

He doesn’t have all the power but your stance that he’s a victim here with no control is largely BS.
You have ZERO to base that off of. One year that you claim he was responsible for drafting possibly the best RB we’ll ever have and can’t provide proof that he had the final say a la Bill Belichik with all the other draft choices over the past 7 years.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
The personnel difference excuse doesn’t really fly though. We don’t know how Garrett would have done, if he switched teams with any of those coaches. Nor do we know how they would have done, had they been coaching the cowboys.

But I don’t see how that justifiea The opinion that he is better than them. That’s silly.

I mean the results aren’t even really close. Those 3 coaches all have 8+ Playoff wins and a Super Bowl win to their credit. Garrett has 1 Playoff win.

The results aren’t even close.
I never said he was better than them, I said he was never given the same balance and personnel on offense and defense as they’ve had. See, they have real GM’s, we have Jerry and Stephen.

I’d also like to know what seasons JG has coached that you think any of those coaches would have won playoff games with?

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
I think Romo was a Top Ten QB and Garrett, if he’s as good as some think he is, should have gotten more out of some of those teams than he did.

And you didn’t answer my question. When will you judge Garrett on his coaching merits? Because it seems up until now, you’ve largely written the disappointments off to roster flaws, Jerry, bad luck, etc.

Or are we just going to assume he’s a really good coach who was here for like 12 years and was just the unluckiest coach ever to have bad roster after bad to start, a crappy GM and some of the worst luck a NFL coach has ever seen.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
So 6 of the top 7 coaches just happen to have the top 6 QBs in the league. How coincidental.
QB doesn't make the coach?

Man, how far have the Broncos fallen as far as their coach? 30? wow.
coaching and qb play are two of the main things that make team successful

HungryLion

Reaction score
I never said he was better than them, I said he was never given the same balance and personnel on kffense and defense as they’ve had. See, they have real GM’s, we have Jerry and Stephen.

I’d also like to know what seasons JG has coached that you think any of those coaches would have won playoff games with.

You’re right. You didn’t say it. The guy I originally quoted said it. I understand your point. And you’re right. The front office is superior for those 3 teams then Jerry and Co.

I do think those coaches could have won the playoff game in 2016. That packers game was mismanaged in multiple ways.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
only the top 12 coaches make the playoffs so garrett is below that 8 and 8 level middle of the road coach who has won one wildcard playoff game

aria

Reaction score
Will there ever be a point in time where you will actually judge Garrett for his coaching. Because up until now, it seems obvious you haven’t judged him at all, largely chalking up the largely average 7 year run totally to forces and entities outside his control.

Yes, as I’ve told you several times, this year barring any major catastrophes.

Average 7 year run?

Yeah, 1 playoff appearance with the “no catch”. That was on JG?

One playoff appearance with a rookie QB and RB beaten by one of the best QB’s in the final seconds. Don’t forget about all the excuses and conspiracy theories everyone has about the officals being biased against us. Is JG supposed to overcome the officials AND Aarron Rodgers? Which is it?

2 years with a back up QB for the first time in the final game of the regular season to get in the playoffs? Look at those QB’s, any coach would be lucky to win with them.

1 year of Weeden and Cassel. Please

Last year Zeke suspension.

Yes, the results have been average and he’s made mistakes as all coaches have but when will you ever admit that he has literally been dealt some of the worst possible scenarios that most coaches wouldn’t be able to overcome?

Look at a team like the Eagles. Foles is no slouch, that’s a great GM who had a quality back up. We had Kitna, Cassel, and Weeden. Injured guys on the line, no problem, they have quality depth, we have Chaz Green. They rebuilt their entire roster in 2-3 years and have more talent on both sides of the ball then we’ve had since JG has been HC. That’s friggin’ ridiculous! That’s on the GM and Owner, in our case it’s the same thing and he’s an egotistical, arrogant, horrible GM and owner that this team AND coach would flourish without.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
You’re right. You didn’t say it. The guy I originally quoted said it. I understand your point. And you’re right. The front office is superior for those 3 teams then Jerry and Co.

I do think those coaches could have won the playoff game in 2016. That packers game was mismanaged in multiple ways.
2016 was tough, there were definitely coaching blunders on both sides of the ball. Regardless, looking back, at the beginning of the season NO ONE ever predicted we would be in the playoffs that year with a rookie QB and RB against one of the best QB’s of all time. No one predicted we would be 13-3. Not many people thought we would win that game, which we almost did. All in all, I think he did a tremendous job u der the circumstances. Unfortunately mistakes were made and we were beat by a last second FG, that’s happened to every great coach people have listed in this thread and that’s when they have veteran QB’s.

aria

Reaction score
I think Romo was a Top Ten QB and Garrett, if he’s as good as some think he is, should have gotten more out of some of those teams than he did.

And you didn’t answer my question. When will you judge Garrett on his coaching merits? Because it seems up until now, you’ve largely written the disappointments off to roster flaws, Jerry, bad luck, etc.

Or are we just going to assume he’s a really good coach who was here for like 12 years and was just the unluckiest coach ever to have bad roster after bad to start, a crappy GM and some of the worst luck a NFL coach has ever seen.
I answered above and I’ve told you several times, I’m giving him this year barring any major setbacks. IMOF, I think our last debate pretty much ended there, you said something along the lines of “well, one of us will be right at the end of the year”, lol. You’re absolutely correct :)

HungryLion

Reaction score
2016 was tough, there were definitely coaching blunders on both sides of the ball. Regardless, looking back, at the beginning of the season NO ONE ever predicted we would be in the playoffs that year with a rookie QB and RB against one of the best QB’s of all time. No one predicted we would be 13-3. Not many people thought we would win that game, which we almost did. All in all, I think he did a tremendous job u der the circumstances. Unfortunately mistakes were made and we were beat by a last second FG, that’s happened to every great coach people have listed in this thread and that’s when they have veteran QB’s.

The inconsistency is what bugs me though.

Bar none the coaching staff did a great job in 2016. An amazing season considering the circumstances.

But the year prior, 2015. The way the team fell apart. Romo or no Romo. 1-11 with the backup QB? That was just bad no matter how you slice it.

aria

Reaction score
The inconsistency is what bugs me though.

Bar none the coaching staff did a great job in 2016. An amazing season considering the circumstances.

But the year prior, 2015. The way the team fell apart. Romo or no Romo. 1-11 with the backup QB? That was just bad no matter how you slice it.
Maybe they were tanking on purpose because they knew they couldn’t make the playoffs? If so, we for Zeke and Dak out of it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, as I’ve told you several times, this year barring any major catastrophes.

Average 7 year run?

Yeah, 1 playoff appearance with the “no catch”. That was on JG?

One playoff appearance with a rookie QB and RB beaten by one of the best QB’s in the final seconds. Don’t forget about all the excuses and conspiracy theories everyone has about the officals being biased against us. Is JG supposed to overcome the officials AND Aarron Rodgers? Which is it?

2 years with a back up QB for the first time in the final game of the regular season to get in the playoffs? Look at those QB’s, any coach would be lucky to win with them.

1 year of Weeden and Cassel. Please

Last year Zeke suspension.

Yes, the results have been average and he’s made mistakes as all coaches have but when will you ever admit that he has literally been dealt some of the worst possible scenarios that most coaches wouldn’t be able to overcome?

Look at a team like the Eagles. Foles is no slouch, that’s a great GM who had a quality back up. We had Kitna, Cassel, and Weeden. Injured guys on the line, no problem, they have quality depth, we have Chaz Green. They rebuilt their entire roster in 2-3 years and have more talent on both sides of the ball then we’ve had since JG has been HC. That’s friggin’ ridiculous! That’s on the GM and Owner, in our case it’s the same thing and he’s an egotistical, arrogant, horrible GM and owner that this team AND coach would flourish without.

Yes. Average 7 year run. Two playoff appearances, one win. That’s average no matter what qualifiers you want to throw on them.

But hey if we are going to play this game of what if’s and bad luck, let’s note that Garrett’s one playoff win is likely a loss if the refs don’t miss a pretty obvious pass interference at the end of that’s Lions playoff game.

The notion that he’s been handed some of the worst possible scenarios is simply poppycock. Has he had some bad breaks? Sure. But to make it out like he’s one of the unluckiest coaches around is a stretch.

aria

Reaction score
Yes. Average 7 year run. Two playoff appearances, one win. That’s average no matter what qualifiers you want to throw on them.

But hey if we are going to play this game of what if’s and bad luck, let’s note that Garrett’s one playoff win is likely a loss if the refs don’t miss a pretty obvious pass interference at the end of that’s Lions playoff game.

The notion that he’s been handed some of the worst possible scenarios is simply poppycock. Has he had some bad breaks? Sure. But to make it out like he’s one of the unluckiest coaches around is a stretch.
Lol, you said poppycock, lol.

I answered your questions like you requested yet you continue to cherry pick mine. Either start answering some of them or stop responding with your same worn out responses.