Twitter: NFL extends Directv deal through 2021

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
This deal and the CBS thursday deal is going to drive the salary cap up alot.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
You knew what they meant. The meant that if all you wanted was to watch Cowboys games, sunday ticket isn't worth it.

you don't get to decide how others value a product.

the ticket is worth it to me. I think it is a jerky move to sit in a bar for three hours drinking soda refills, which is the only way it is more cost effective to go to the bar to watch a game.

maybe you think that is fine. I don't. I would spend more at a bar then I do buying the Sunday Ticket.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
He is referring to the fact that Dallas generally has more nationally televised games than any other team in the league.

Combine our nationally televised games, with regional games that fall in your lap, it's not hard to supplement a few games online or at a bar or friends house.

No need to shell out money for Sunday Ticket.

It's much easier for us as Cowboys fans pretty much where ever we live compared to a Jaguars fan that lives in Montana.

What, your saying they don't air Jaguar games in Montana?!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much every other sport. The reality is that the nature of the NFL having only 16 games, every game played by every team should be nationally televised. It would not be difficult to do. Instead the NFL likes to have garbage contracts with DirecTV, Fox, and CBS.

A fan friendly schedule would look like this

Fox - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
ABC - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
NBC - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
CBS - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
ESPN - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
TNT - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game

Right there in one sunday, you could have 18 games...

The reality is there is a max of 16 games played per week, and when you throw in Thursday and Monday games that even further reduces how many games need to be played on Monday. It reduces it to 14 games (minus byes).

Other leagues play more games generally than the NFL, but even then they are on numerous channels and throughout the week.

Also by having exclusivity deals with DirecTV, the NFL is forcing fans into a specific television package, whether they like it or not.

The MLB gives you the ability to subscribe to all MLB games through its own site, this gives you more games for a lot less money than sunday ticket.

NBA has the same thing with League Pass which is also cheaper than Sunday Ticket, especially if you only want it digitally.
You do understand that networks' audience demographics are made up of more than football fans? Audience share would gradually erode if your hypothetical football schedule was implemented. When viewership drops, so does projectable advertising revenue. That's a football fan's fantasy, but a network executive's nightmare.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
you don't get to decide how others value a product.

the ticket is worth it to me. I think it is a jerky move to sit in a bar for three hours drinking soda refills, which is the only way it is more cost effective to go to the bar to watch a game.

maybe you think that is fine. I don't. I would spend more at a bar then I do buying the Sunday Ticket.

The free streaming would blow your mind if you think that is the case. lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm envious of people with true high speed internet. I visited my sister in Maryland and needed to download a huge file that would have taken a couple of minutes at home. The file downloaded in a few seconds.

I so hate my sister sometimes. No I don't. I do dislike my brother-in-law sometimes, but that's only because he's a Washington fan. Love is truly blind.

Every so often, I call my phone company to ask when will they start laying down fiber optic cable in my area so I can start enjoying lightning fast internet. The person on the other end of the line justs laughs and laughs...

:(

Oh yeah. Directv rocks.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I stand by the fact that it isn't worth it. Why spend an extra 300$ and be tied to directv when the majority of our games are nationally televised.

You end up having to deal with ~ 4 games that aren't on your TV.

Let's fix that problem. firstrowsports and other streaming websites have HD streaming for free. I use them for these 4 games per season. I then hook up a 5$ cord from my laptop to my television, thereby getting the game for free.

300$ saved. So no, it isn't worth it in my opinion. If you want to watch every game, NFL redzone is perfect. I am sure you know about that is though lol.

You are making the assumption that watching Dallas every week is the sole reason for getting NFLST. I am a football junky and get NFLST to both watch the Boys play as well as being able to watch any other game I want. I live in Packer country and so I get the NFC North crammed down my throat every week.

Calling firstrow sports streaming as HD is a total joke. It is no where near HD quality, in fact its as far from HD as you can get.

With a small amount of effort you can almost always get NFLST discounted by just asking.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Like I said, it's pretty easy to supplement the games that aren't on cable with the internet/bars/friends who have directv and sunday ticket.

I haven't missed a game once because it wasn't on tv.

t8zvc.gif

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You do understand that networks' audience demographics are made up of more than football fans? Audience share would gradually erode if your hypothetical football schedule was implemented. When viewership drops, so does projectable advertising revenue. That's a football fan's fantasy, but a network executive's nightmare.

Absolutely it is made up of more than football fans, but the current scheme is not pro growth. The NFL will begin to shrink because it is overly focused on getting every penny from existing fans.

As for network executives, they would love to have 2-3 football games that they don't currently have.

There isn't enough nfl football that would oversaturate the market. That is exactly why the nfl is trying to expand to 18 games rather than expand how many games are actually televised...

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Pretty much every other sport. The reality is that the nature of the NFL having only 16 games, every game played by every team should be nationally televised. It would not be difficult to do. Instead the NFL likes to have garbage contracts with DirecTV, Fox, and CBS.

A fan friendly schedule would look like this

Fox - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
ABC - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
NBC - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
CBS - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
ESPN - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game
TNT - Morning game, Afternoon Game, Night Game

Right there in one sunday, you could have 18 games...

The reality is there is a max of 16 games played per week, and when you throw in Thursday and Monday games that even further reduces how many games need to be played on Monday. It reduces it to 14 games (minus byes).

Other leagues play more games generally than the NFL, but even then they are on numerous channels and throughout the week.

Also by having exclusivity deals with DirecTV, the NFL is forcing fans into a specific television package, whether they like it or not.

The MLB gives you the ability to subscribe to all MLB games through its own site, this gives you more games for a lot less money than sunday ticket.

NBA has the same thing with League Pass which is also cheaper than Sunday Ticket, especially if you only want it digitally.

I suffered with DirecTV for years just to watch Cowboys football. When they kept jacking the price of Sunday Ticket up I finally canned them. I love MLB.tv and gladly pay their reasonable rate. I just cant in good conscience support the gouging of the NFL.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
baseball has 162 games in the season, and a majority of them are either not televised at all, or during the day when most fans work.

so baseball is far less fan friendly.

no sport operates like that. none. you are making stuff up.

Baseball has more games, and yet you can get access to all the games through mlb's website for less than sunday ticket.

The MLB plays games during the day and at night, because in reality no one wants to go to or watch every game, but many people do have flex schedules.

Baseball is far more friendly.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely it is made up of more than football fans, but the current scheme is not pro growth. The NFL will begin to shrink because it is overly focused on getting every penny from existing fans.

As for network executives, they would love to have 2-3 football games that they don't currently have.

There isn't enough nfl football that would oversaturate the market. That is exactly why the nfl is trying to expand to 18 games rather than expand how many games are actually televised...
They would enjoy that advantage without competition.

Football does not constitute the entire television market or revenue. That's why programming is so diverse. Take away a significant share of programming diversity and overall viewership drops (i.e. more than football fans).

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Dallas isn't on fox for you most of the time? Dallas is ALWAYS on fox for me, and I don't live in texas. I use a streaming website for free on my laptop when we play a team not worthy of being nationally televised.

I live in South Florida and only get the Cowboys on Fox if they play Philthy or NY. Our Fox games are always Giants, Philly, or the Jets even. We've got a lot of jerks in South Florida so I guess the local networks cater to them.

I went to Duffys this past Friday evening and they have a sign mounted on the wall as you go in the front door and it says "Giants fan club meets here." I told the manager they should have a Cowboys fan club. He agreed, or at least said he did and smiled.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He is referring to the fact that Dallas generally has more nationally televised games than any other team in the league.

Combine our nationally televised games, with regional games that fall in your lap, it's not hard to supplement a few games online or at a bar or friends house.

No need to shell out money for Sunday Ticket.

It's much easier for us as Cowboys fans pretty much where ever we live compared to a Jaguars fan that lives in Montana.

Excellent point bro, if you live anywhere in the South you should get 10-12 Cowboy games every year.................get your buddies together for the other games and split the tab at a sports bar.