Twitter: NFL fines WR CeeDee Lamb $10,300 for waving goodbye to Patriots DB Jalen Mills after TD

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Since they're cracking down on taunting, he should have been fined. However, it's hypocrisy to fine him AND use it for ad purposes. The shove, which likely prompted the taunt, should have been fined as well.

There's no conspiracy. There's just a ridiculous lack of consistency by the NFL in enforcement. That's frustrating. The wave goodbye had no chance of injuring the other player except his poor little feelings. The shove after the TD could have injured Lamb.
Where we always get the short end of the stick.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Since they're cracking down on taunting, he should have been fined. However, it's hypocrisy to fine him AND use it for ad purposes. The shove, which likely prompted the taunt, should have been fined as well.

There's no conspiracy. There's just a ridiculous lack of consistency by the NFL in enforcement. That's frustrating. The wave goodbye had no chance of injuring the other player except his poor little feelings. The shove after the TD could have injured Lamb.
I agree, but the shove is part of the game, even if we know it was out of frustration, and not an attempt to dislodge the ball. It happens in many games, maybe even most games.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Mills clearly shoves CeeDee hard out of bounds when he already had crossed into the endzone and was exiting at the sideline. Game over in overtime courtesy of CeeDee. And that was not unsportsmanlike conduct by Mills?
The NFL forgave or ignored Mills actions but not CeeDee's response of waving his hand bye-bye up at the side of his helmet? Pathetic, one-sided and disproportionate response by the NFL.

Fans were perfectly ok with leaving well enough alone and I hope Goodell's office gets some bad press and tons of "up yours" emails from fans. This fine should be overturned. It's not the money, it's the principle.

Scotman

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but as a man, I don't blame mills....he had already slowed down and then sped up when CeeDee started celebrating....CeeDee precipitated the whole thing. Just score and celebrate with your team.....I like the enthusiasm, but don't agree with the taunting.

I think I agree with 99% of everything you post. On this one, I understand what you're saying, I just disagree. I genuinely thought Mills was out of line. The game was over. CeeDee was well past the goal line and Mills intentionally shoved him to the ground. Mills then went to CeeDee and was getting in his face. CeeDee asks him what he's going to do. Mills obviously isn't going to do anything at that point. Knowing that, CeeDee waves BYE. So, I disagree that he was taunting at all. I don't like any of that stuff, but I think it was a coaching issue and not an NFL executive issue.

If I were his coach, the wave wouldn't do anything for me. HOWEVER, I've seen far too many games where a player lets up and ends up not scoring for one reason or another. Celebrating before you score is foolish and I'd have no issue if McCarthy decided to rip him a new one for it.

The NFL are 100% hypocrites for then using the wave in the advertising for the sport. 100% crap. The whole incident should have been handled by the coaches of their respective teams, not with fines by the NFL. There's no way for the NFL to have any sort of consistency when you start fining players for waving when the other player is in the face. Heck, the NFL is actually using the incident to promote the NFL. The coaches need to be the ones to clean up that kind of stuff, not pencil pushers.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Oh Please. Stop with the Bias crap. you guys need to grown a skin. Aaron Jones was fined for doing the exact same thing against the Cowboys. So where is the bias?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...ving-goodbye-to-cowboys-player-152620259.html

Most have a much different meaning of “exact same thing” as you. Aaron Jones waved before crossing the goal line. He was also not pushed to the ground after scoring.

I’m not sure how you could be more wrong.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think I agree with 99% of everything you post. On this one, I understand what you're saying, I just disagree. I genuinely thought Mills was out of line. The game was over. CeeDee was well past the goal line and Mills intentionally shoved him to the ground. Mills then went to CeeDee and was getting in his face. CeeDee asks him what he's going to do. Mills obviously isn't going to do anything at that point. Knowing that, CeeDee waves BYE. So, I disagree that he was taunting at all. I don't like any of that stuff, but I think it was a coaching issue and not an NFL executive issue.

If I were his coach, the wave wouldn't do anything for me. HOWEVER, I've seen far too many games where a player lets up and ends up not scoring for one reason or another. Celebrating before you score is foolish and I'd have no issue if McCarthy decided to rip him a new one for it.

The NFL are 100% hypocrites for then using the wave in the advertising for the sport. 100% crap. The whole incident should have been handled by the coaches of their respective teams, not with fines by the NFL. There's no way for the NFL to have any sort of consistency when you start fining players for waving when the other player is in the face. Heck, the NFL is actually using the incident to promote the NFL. The coaches need to be the ones to clean up that kind of stuff, not pencil pushers.
Have they actually used that clip already? I know we discussed the probably that they would, but I haven't seen it.

Scotman

Reaction score
Have they actually used that clip already? I know we discussed the probably that they would, but I haven't seen it.
I think so...on Twitter. Someone posted it earlier. The official NFL account on Twitter used a screenshot of him waving at Mills. I'm not a real Twitter guy, so it could be that I didn't see what I thought I saw.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The “NFL hates Dallas conspiracy theories” are so tiresome along with “the refs were paid off” stuff.

Truth is the NFL would absolutely love to see Dallas in the SB. It would be a ratings bonanza. The league has for years put Dallas in prime time games even when we were bad. Dallas sells. The NFL is always FIRST about making money.

Secondly- the refereeing in this league is often bad. But it is not corrupt. There’s a big difference. For everyone screaming we “had to beat the refs and the pats” last week- if that was true, why did those “corrupt refs” not call a clear face mask penalty on Anthony Brown on 3rd down in OT that would have given the pats a first down in Dallas territory? The answer is because they aren’t very consistent or accurate. But that’s not corrupt or an anti-Cowboys conspiracy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The “NFL hates Dallas conspiracy theories” are so tiresome along with “the refs were paid off” stuff.

Truth is the NFL would absolutely love to see Dallas in the SB. It would be a ratings bonanza. The league has for years put Dallas in prime time games even when we were bad. Dallas sells. The NFL is always FIRST about making money.

Secondly- the refereeing in this league is often bad. But it is not corrupt. There’s a big difference. For everyone screaming we “had to beat the refs and the pats” last week- if that was true, why did those “corrupt refs” not call a clear face mask penalty on Anthony Brown on 3rd down in OT that would have given the pats a first down in Dallas territory? The answer is because they aren’t very consistent or accurate. But that’s not corrupt or an anti-Cowboys conspiracy.
Agreed. There are probably moments where individual officials let their feelings dictate an occasional call, but there's nothing organized or conspiratorial going on. Just some rank incompetence at times

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. There are probably moments where individual officials let their feelings dictate an occasional call, but there's nothing organized or conspiratorial going on. Just some rank incompetence at times
People that incompetent are certainly incapable of the kind of high level conspiracy so many fans want to subscribe to, lol. In my view, the bad reffing is an equal opportunity incompetence.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Respect Bob. And you’re right. There’s no conspiracy, but I’d argue there may be a bias among refs who are really just “former”fans that get to enforce rules now.
The cowboys are the most popular and most hated.

I’ve stated in another thread about the unique calls against us over recent years. The illegal huddle, delay of game on defense, false start on long snapper—I’ve only seen these called on us. All of them. I’m not sure another team has had one of them called.

What’s your opinion on these rare calls happening to one team?

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Most have a much different meaning of “exact same thing” as you. Aaron Jones waved before crossing the goal line. He was also not pushed to the ground after scoring.

I’m not sure how you could be more wrong.

they both were fined for the exact same thing. Sorry you cant see that. Whether he crossed the goal line before or after is not the issue. The fine is for the same thing. Taunting. The push afterwards had nothing to do with it.