NFL is just sports entertainment?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I understand that it is hard to imagine something most of us have been passionate about since we were children is not what we thought it was. That same lifelong passion can be very difficult to overcome to reach an honest state of objectiveness.

There is a gulf between, 'everything is on the up and up', and 'the SB winner is determined before the season starts'.

I think it is extremely naïve to believe that everything is on the up and up with so much at stake for so many people in so many positions of power.

I don't buy that the SB winner is already determined but I also don't buy that there is not a lot of influencing going on. If I found out tomorrow that the next SB winner was actually predetermined, I wouldn't even be all that surprised.

That is saying something coming from someone who has spent so much time on the game and has been so passionate about football since childhood.

Why do I keep watching?
I love the game.
Habit.
Sentimentality.

Anyone who has had pets probably understands all the feelings that go into making the decision to let them go when the time comes. I have watched people hang on to long, at least in part for the same reasons I hang on to the NFL. When my time came to make the decision on a beloved pet, I'm sure I, to an extent, did exactly what I said I would never do, and hung on longer then I should have.

The NFL is having a real hard time getting up and doesn't seem to much interested in eating....

RaZon

Reaction score
You don't know that, you hope that's what it is but we really don't know.
How do you know there's nothing to worry about, are you on the inside in NY? No
It's all Legit and on the level because you said so?

What's your evidence? Your Heart? Your Gut? Give me the hard evidence

Where is your common sense at my man?

Do you really think something like a rigged NFL could be a secret? Come on guy, really? So when did it all start, how is it it done? Come on ...how is it pulled off?

So who is in charge of the NFL rigging? Break it down for me, what ya can't?

Dude, don't be a fool, ok?

Do you really think if those Vegas gambling houses were losing $$$$$ because of a rigged NFL someone wouldn't pay for that?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Apparently a lot of you think the NFL isn't legit, it's rigged. Refs more concerned with "their gambling buddies". Ok, those of you who think the league is more pro rasslin' than NCAA football convince me that yes the refs are dirty, and the games are rigged.

Been into pro football since the late 50's, the biggest change is the athletes involved, the game was never meant to be played by guys this big, fast and strong ,was never meant to be played on fake hard grass or 20 games in a season if playoffs.

Anyway....

Obviously the game started out legit, so when did it go from a sport to sports entertainment and rigged? Convince me the NFL is now rigged, you have the floor......

So before a game the refs get together and try to do all thy can to get the winner and the betting line covered, right? Make sure the Steelers cover that 5.5.....right?
I dont think that, never have. But I came closest to thinking that during this game then I ever have. This game seemed downright weird in some of the calls and the amount of calls.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Do you really think something like a rigged NFL could be a secret? Come on guy, really? So when did it all start, how is it it done? Come on ...how is it pulled off?

Do you really think if those Vegas gambling houses were losing $$$$$ because of a rigged NFL someone wouldn't pay for that?

I mean 2 things the NFL came out and said they are an "Entertainment Business" thier words...2. Do calls affect games every week, and when they do what exactly is done to make it right?

conner01

Reaction score
If you read the NFL history books, when Marshall bought Washington, he introduced the concept of making rule changes with entertainment in mind. It started then.

P.S I think NCAA is a lot less pure from a rigging perspective.
Changing rules for entertainment and rigging the games for Vegas is not the same thing

Brooksey

Reaction score

So when someone questions your lack of evidence and discusses the topic you made a thread about you insult them?
I clearly said in some other responses a game can be rigged with a few bad refs. I don't believe the NFL is rigged.

I know you think you know but you don't know

CWR

Reaction score
So when someone questions your lack of evidence and discusses the topic you made a thread about you insult them?
I clearly said in some other responses a game can be rigged with a few bad refs. I don't believe the NFL is rigged.

He has been disingenuous from the beginning. He acted as if had an open mind and wanted to discuss the possibility, when in fact he simply wanted to ridicule those who believe contrary to him. No amount of facts or precedence will change his stance. So why even create the thread?

RaZon

Reaction score

I think I do know, ya learn a few things with experience. Been into pro football for a long long time, I have played with former NFL players. Seen a lot of football, nobody of merit I'm not aware of, know the history of it all. There is no way in hell, rigging NFL games with gamblers involved is working. People would get killed over this.

What would happen if one ref blew the whistle....well? Think about it, there goes the NFL. All that $$$$$....lost.

Come on guy, think!

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I have a few questions and you can decide if it is rigged/controlled or not.

1) Do they tell you that it is a business? in answer YES
2) Do they have special rules for it being Entertainment instead of having any oversight? in answer YES
3) If you were a "good" businessman who had made lots of money in your lifetime --- Would you control everything about that business that you could control?
The answer here is OF COURSE I would control every cost, marketing, etc about my business....everything.

So as far as EVIDENSE, I give you Common Sense..............why wouldn't astute businessmen who have made tons of money control outcomes, spreads, gambling, etc. It is the only common sense thing to do.

RaZon

Reaction score
He has been disingenuous from the beginning. He acted as if had an open mind and wanted to discuss the possibility, when in fact he simply wanted to ridicule those who believe contrary to him. No amount of facts or precedence will change his stance. So why even create the thread?

Where are those facts, have yet to see any facts.

Who can.....George Smith an NFL ref from 1976 to 1988 talked about making calls to help teams cover the point spread...

Where is anything like that?

mahoneybill

Reaction score
There’s a book from a former ref who says it’s massaged not rigged. His claim was they are asked to call certain games tighter than others. I can’t recall the name but he was an African-American man.

I’m surprised as I assumed they sigh an NDA but he may have pre-dated that?

I’ve watch football since the 70s and certainty have watched questionable games including the thanksgiving game.

rigged/massaged, its strange how every big play, or long pass downfield by an opposing QB you think ok when does the flag come ?

Brooksey

Reaction score
I think I do know, ya learn a few things with experience. Been into pro football for a long long time, I have played with former NFL players. Seen a lot of football, nobody of merit I'm not aware of, know the history of it all. There is no way in hell, rigging NFL games with gamblers involved is working. People would get killed over this.

What would happen if one ref blew the whistle....well? Think about it, there goes the NFL. All that $$$$$....lost.

Come on guy, think!

You've seen a lot of football and you know some former NFL players? That's your evidence? What the hell does that have to do with anything? Did anyone say players were throwing games?
Did anyone suggest Anthony Brown was working for Las Vegas bookies on Thanksgiving?

I don't think so

CWR

Reaction score
Where are those facts, have yet to see any facts.

Who can.....George Smith an NFL ref from 1976 to 1988 talked about making calls to help teams cover the point spread...

Where is anything like that?

You've seen a player admit to it, on this thread. You've seen precedence in the NBA and baseball as well. You've also seen ownership with ties to organized crime.

There will be nothing conclusive in either direction. If that happens it won't be from a random poster, but major news.

I don’t pretend to be absolute in either direction, but to laugh off the possibility is naive at best. I also still believe a team has to be good enough to overcome both injuries and poor officiating. I'm not blaming officiating for any of our losses. That said they definitely had an impact.

RaZon

Reaction score
I have a few questions and you can decide if it is rigged/controlled or not.

1) Do they tell you that it is a business? in answer YES
2) Do they have special rules for it being Entertainment instead of having any oversight? in answer YES
3) If you were a "good" businessman who had made lots of money in your lifetime --- Would you control everything about that business that you could control?
The answer here is OF COURSE I would control every cost, marketing, etc about my business....everything.

So as far as EVIDENSE, I give you Common Sense..............why wouldn't astute businessmen who have made tons of money control outcomes, spreads, gambling, etc. It is the only common sense thing to do.

Then we have real common sense.

Knowing te only way the NFL makes $$$$$ is to sell the game as being a legit athletic competition, any hint at it being otherwise you are out of business.

Do you really think a smart person gambles that people he doesn't really know won;t blow it? What would happen to Jerry Jones if it was found out he gambled against the Cowboys, well?

Stop the silliness.

CWR

Reaction score

Come on guy, think!

By that logic the NBA would be gone. Should we talk about boxing as well?

RaZon

Reaction score
You've seen a lot of football and you know some former NFL players? That's your evidence? What the hell does that have to do with anything? Did anyone say players were throwing games?
Did anyone suggest Anthony Brown was working for Las Vegas bookies on Thanksgiving?

I don't think so

So tell me how is it actually done?

Break it down, the Raiders are favored by 6.5......ok now what?