News: NFL: Mike McCarthy set to interview in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Rooney Rule.

I'm not sure.....Marvin's a season vet coach. I don't see him allowing himself to be a Rodney rule front for Jerry or any owner, he's to smart for that. My guess is Marvin knows this cycle of coaching hires only have so many openings. He could be angling for a Dallas DC position. Think about, Jerry could have full filled the Rodney rule requirement with a ton of lesser-known coaches

Remember reading a couple of years ago where a former GM said sometimes candidates are brought in pick their brain and team/GM has no intention of hiring the guy but respect his knowledge/experience of the game.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think, or more like hope Zach Taylor drafts Joe Burrow. Time for Dalton to move on.
But I hate the idea of Chase Young going to the Commanders.

However, Bengals could take Young, then the Commanders may trade their pick for a a lot of picks to possibly Miami for Burrow. I rather the Bengals make that trade, but Young still goes to the Commanders.
However, Chase Young basically disappeared in his last 4 games also. Did not make the difference when really needed. Maybe he drops.

Young to Commanders is not a slam dunk. Pretty sure the Bengals going to milk their pick around not Burrow, but Young. Keep eye on the Lions at the 3rd spot. Bengal could drop a couple of spots and still probably get Burrow. In other the only the Skins can guarantee they get Young is move to top spot for a price.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The process is just beginning.

But the reality is, THIS is the type of coach you can expect. We aren’t going for a college guy in Riley or Rhule. Too much room to bust.

This is the exact, safe, veteran coach signing I fully expect us to make.

Bingo!!!!! I said it in another thread a while back. We are going to likely have a top 5 payroll by the start of the season screening win-now mode. You want a guy with strong leadership who can hit the ground running. Since we've heard guys like Michael Irvin and Troy question the team heart, I expect they will likely give new HC the keys and get out his way. Similar to when Parcell was hired........

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
McCarthy already basically has promised his inner circle of buddies jobs. That would include Jim Haslett, presumably as defensive coordinator.

I don't see this flying with a GM/owner at all, not just the Cowboys. Trying to sell them an average defensive coordinator is a sure way to stay unemployed. Can't imagine McCarthy being that misguided. Not saying Haslett wouldn't be on his staff, just not a DC.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy - HC
Kellen Moore - OC
Marvin Lewis - DC

It could possibly wind up just like that.
McCarthy might also bring with him Joe Philbin to coach the OL and Bob McAdoo for the TE's.

Just speculating....

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Uh not sure how you interpreted anything I said as wanting to continue on our 10-25 year plan. Its real simple. We had the wrong guys selecting the wrong mix of players. What we want is a new coach to come in and do more than reshuffle the deck. The "experts" who assessed this roster were apparently very wrong b/c we barely finished 8-8 in the worst division in football. Sure, some of that is poor coaching. But its also a bad mix of players. As Barry Switzer proved, when you have the right mix of players, it don't matter whose coaching.
Yeah, I think I was replying to a different post.

We lost several close games. A few to some playoff participants, like the Saints, we got some very questionable calls and used some very suspect strategy.

A good coach with this team could’ve made a run imo.

I completely agree about the social media diva problem and needed to change the attitude of our team. A coach like Meyer does that immediately.

Getting a team like the 95 Cowboys isn’t that easy. The patriots and other teams have proven you can win with less talent if you’re disciplined and smart. A better coach can accomplish that.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’m counting on another stupid hire. Lol
Mike McCarthy: 125-77-2 record, .618 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 10-8 playoff record, 4 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

McCarthy is not a stupid hire, his record speaks for itself.............compared to Garrett's accomplishments, haaaaaaaabaahaaaaaaaa:laugh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy: 125-77-2 record, .618 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 10-8 playoff record, 4 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

McCarthy is not a stupid hire, his record speaks for itself.............compared to Garrett's accomplishments, haaaaaaaabaahaaaaaaaa:laugh:
I’d agree . And I didn’t say McCarthy was a stupid hire.

I said I’m counting on Jerry to make a stupid hire. I was being sarcastic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy - HC
Kellen Moore - OC
Marvin Lewis - DC

It could possibly wind up just like that.
McCarthy might also bring with him Joe Philbin to coach the OL and Bob McAdoo for the TE's.

Just speculating....
That would be a surprisingly good hire. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really don’t understand the criticism of McCarthy. He’s a legit HC. Doesn’t fit the Puppet mandate we’ve had.

And why I’d be surprised if we hired him. I expect Jerry to make a worse decision. Like hiring an old HC who’s phone isn’t ringing but McCarthy’s is as he’s had other interviews.

And Lewis be would a solid DC hire. The only negative is not allowing the HC to bring in his own staff. We’ll see but as I sarcastically said earlier I don’t expect Jerry to make a good decision.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 100 years of NFL football, exactly 1 coach has won a championship with each of two teams.

I'd take that chance with Belichick. But Mike McCarthy isn't going to be the second.
I don’t know that this is a notable stat given that a large number of Super Bowl winning coaches never coached another team after winning the Super Bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not sure.....Marvin's a season vet coach. I don't see him allowing himself to be a Rodney rule front for Jerry or any owner, he's to smart for that. My guess is Marvin knows this cycle of coaching hires only have so many openings. He could be angling for a Dallas DC position. Think about, Jerry could have full filled the Rodney rule requirement with a ton of lesser-known coaches

Remember reading a couple of years ago where a former GM said sometimes candidates are brought in pick their brain and team/GM has no intention of hiring the guy but respect his knowledge/experience of the game.
It all depends on if he gets other offers. At the end of the day if we were the only offer he’d probably take it.

Remember Lewis also meets the demand of the Rooney Rule too.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t know that this is a notable stat given that a large number of Super Bowl winning coaches never coached another team after winning the Super Bowl.
And also worth noting is no HC has ever won a SB with another team.

My hunch is these two interviews were one, to satisfy the Rooney Rule and two to illustrate they are indeed looking for another HC with Garrett still under contract.

I’ll be surprised if they hire either of these coaches.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And also worth noting is no HC has ever won a SB with another team.

My hunch is these two interviews were one, to satisfy the Rooney Rule and two to illustrate they are indeed looking for another HC with Garrett still under contract.

I’ll be surprised if they hire either of these coaches.
But 37 of the 53 Super Bowls were won by coaches that never coached another team after winning the super Bowl, so how could they have won with another team? Plus, of the other 16 Super Bowls, several of those coaches only coached a different team for a few years at the tail end of their career before retiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.