News: NFL Network suspends Brian Baldinger for suggesting bounty on Zeke

Philmonroe

Reaction score
My kids were in school when he did the bit on Philly radio. The kids in Philly were in school too.

I care, and my kids know real from make believe, so even if they heard it I am not overly concerned that they'd be tainted by it.
Yeah I don't understand when people go the "they care" route as if they hold the patent on caring lol.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Undeserving and over the top. He was doing a character, a pretend version of jim schwartz and what he should say.

The ticket here in Dallas makes fun of everyone and does the same thing every single day, there are subtle differences but its essentially the same.

I can't disagree with any of this, but if you work in sports media, especially if you cover the NFL, you have to be smart enough not to say stuff like that, in any forum or any form. The NFL has been getting bashed left and right for violent player behavior, and you suggest that a team target a guy for injury? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. It may have been a joke or whatever, but in today's political climate and with the way social media runs with everything, he had to know that whatever he said was going to come out "Baldinger says the Eagles should take Elliot out." If he didn't know it, he shouldn't be in national sports media anyway.

No way NFLN was going to play around with this situation. NFLN is the League's TV outlet, and the League is trying to show the world that it's learned its lesson.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Very unprofessional. He's lucky he isn't gone for life. You make a point to hurt someone, you're not only an idiot, but you're poison.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Daaaaaang.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous to suspend the guy from his job for that long. He didn't say anything that bad.

In the past, this would have just been laughed at and no one would even bat an eye. But now with the NFL under so much fire and wanting to clean up their image, these comments won't fly. At least not an the official network of the league. If it was some broadcaster on a random radio show, no one would care. But he's on the flagship station so they are trying to save face.

The comment did not really bother me. Thought it kind of showed Philly needed to try and hurt Elliot to have a chance to win. Sounded desperate.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I can't disagree with any of this, but if you work in sports media, especially if you cover the NFL, you have to be smart enough not to say stuff like that, in any forum or any form. The NFL has been getting bashed left and right for violent player behavior, and you suggest that a team target a guy for injury? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. It may have been a joke or whatever, but in today's political climate and with the way social media runs with everything, he had to know that whatever he said was going to come out "Baldinger says the Eagles should take Elliot out." If he didn't know it, he shouldn't be in national sports media anyway.

No way NFLN was going to play around with this situation. NFLN is the League's TV outlet, and the League is trying to show the world that it's learned its lesson.

I understand all that and I would agree had he said it straight forward as himself. He was doing a character though which I agree is foolish on his part to say bounty and hurt a player....but again he was doing a bit.

Very short sighted on his and 97.5's part though. They could have not posted the podcast and none of this would have ever happened.

dogberry

Reaction score
"Who will rid ME of this troublesome priest."

No summer stock for NFL employees.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Undeserving and over the top. He was doing a character, a pretend version of jim schwartz and what he should say.

The ticket here in Dallas makes fun of everyone and does the same thing every single day, there are subtle differences but its essentially the same.
I agree. I don't like Baldy but this was pretty drastic consequences. I wonder if he's done some other things to bend policy behind the scenes and this was a last straw situation. We have all said things we regret and I would think they would have at least asked him to apologize on the air to move on.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Very unprofessional. He's lucky he isn't gone for life. You make a point to hurt someone, you're not only an idiot, but you're poison.

While I agree this comment was done in poor taste, let's not act like teams/players do not intentionally target player's injured body parts to try and knock them out for good. Everyone knows if you are playing injured and where that injury is. If it's your shoulder,, they may try and make you land harder on the ground and put more weight on you when doing it. This has been happening since football began.

Now putting out official bounties is another thing. I don't think that has any place in the game where you receive compensation for doing such.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
his character as he was requested to play was If you were jim schwartz how would you motivate your defense, give us the pep talk you would give them. That was the character, Jim schwartz giving a motivational speech.

Rick walker works for the Commanders. He said beat dallas or die. Implying violence and he was not doing any character.

So yeah, neither example fits. Like I said. Give up trying to defend the indefensible. The guy got what he deserved for suggesting a team injure an opposing player. There's no place for that in this league, on any level.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
So yeah, neither example fits. Like I said. Give up trying to defend the indefensible. The guy got what he deserved for suggesting a team injure an opposing player. There's no place for that in this league, on any level.

Don't make me out to be the guy that is baldingers attorney. He is a moron for talking like this however I think the punishment is beyond foolish. And of course I agree about there being no place for intentional injuries and goes beyond saying...

well actually, I still want Demarcus Ware to break Brandon Jacobs in half. Screw that guy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't make me out to be the guy that is baldingers attorney.

I'm not. You're doing it just fine on your own.

He is a moron for talking like this however I think the punishment is beyond foolish.

I agree on the moron part, but I feel his recklessness deserved punishment.

And of course I agree about there being no place for intentional injuries and goes beyond saying...

well actually, I still want Demarcus Ware to break Brandon Jacobs in half. Screw that guy.

:laugh:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
So a commentator who has nothing to do with the team strategy deserves to be suspended 6 months for just suggesting a bounty when actual coaches who had actual bounties only got suspended a year?

Come on.
He works for the league though. He doesn't work for the Eagles. Player safety is a huge issue and as a representative of the league he should not support that stance. I did not expect 6 months but it doesn't surprise me that the league would come down hard to send a message.