News: NFL Network suspends Brian Baldinger for suggesting bounty on Zeke

Etchyboy

Reaction score
That kids is what happens when you don't follow proper concussion protocol. You end up saying something STUPID.

JDSmith

Reaction score
They should at least have the balls to fire him outright if they are bent on making such a bold statement. 6 months without pay is their passive aggressive way of doing it, hoping he'll quit.

mooseq

Reaction score
I don't get how people on here say that is "over the top" their are kids who listen to these reporters, that's not showing a great explain when the NFL is trying to clean up on players health. As we speak the NFL is getting sued by players from the past for concussion symptoms or whatever it is and they are trying to clean the brand up and you have reporters that are being paid by the NFL to say team should put bounty on a player they had to go "over the top" to make sure this doesn't happen again .

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't think it says much about society at large. It says a lot about large corporate culture who are extremely careful to cultivate their image.

I'm not sure if it's just the corporate culture. I think it's more Internet culture. As a more-connected society, it's not only easier to find someone who's offended by what you say but also to receive feedback that someone is offended by what you say. The pot gets stirred, people say we're offended and the powers that be say, "Uh-oh, we better do something about that."

gimmesix

Reaction score
That's fair enough.

His comments don't bother me. I consider that kind of stuff just part of sports.

But I don't feel in the least bit bad for him. If you're going to open your mouth with your opinions, especially ones like that, then you'll have to pay the consequences when you do. It's just part of the job and sports as well.

Oh, I don't feel bad for him. Wouldn't bother me if he was fired. I just think it's silly to be paid to give an opinion and then be suspended for giving an opinion. If they don't like his opinions, then get rid of him. If not, then let him say what he wants to say. As long as he's not paying a bounty, it's just a stupid comment and nothing more.

We pay people to give their opinions in columns and if we don't like what we're receiving, then we fire them. If their opinions are controversial, well, that's their opinion.

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
Oh, I don't feel bad for him. Wouldn't bother me if he was fired. I just think it's silly to be paid to give an opinion and then be suspended for giving an opinion. If they don't like his opinions, then get rid of him. If not, then let him say what he wants to say. As long as he's not paying a bounty, it's just a stupid comment and nothing more.

Calling for rogue violence is really no different than using a racial slur. He's an idiot. And got off light.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Calling for rogue violence is really no different than using a racial slur. He's an idiot. And got off light.

Yes, because I'm sure Philly wasn't planning on putting a bounty on Elliott but considered it after Baldinger's comment. It was a stupid comment that was not meant to be anything other than inciteful.

A racial slur is hurtful as soon as it is spoken. This would have only been hurtful if the Eagles had done it.

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
Yes, because I'm sure Philly wasn't planning on putting a bounty on Elliott but considered it after Baldinger's comment. It was a stupid comment that was not meant to be anything other than inciteful.

A racial slur is hurtful as soon as it is spoken. This would have only been hurtful if the Eagles had done it.

None of that matters as it pertains to your employment, as evidenced by this idiot's lengthy and very expensive suspension.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Daaaaaang.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous to suspend the guy from his job for that long. He didn't say anything that bad.

Unless you feel like journalism should be unbiased.
It's obviously something that they have been wanting to do. He just stuck his neck in the noose.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I don't like seeing a bloke's livelihood taken away, but any normal corporation would fire someone for publically suggesting anybody be hurt.
Is Baldinger that stupid? If so, does NFL like stoopid announcers?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think it is a bit harsh but my question would be, by just bringing it up, did you put an idea in players head?

plasticman

Reaction score
To be clear, Brian Baldinger was a former Philadelphia Eagle and Dallas Cowboy, playing NFL football during the time of the original Bounty Bowls in which there was a bounty on Troy Aikman, a rookie quarterback.

it was understood that the bounty was for an intentional injury to a fellow football player, unknowingly playing within the rules while not realizing it was the intention of defenders to break those rules and assault him.

As a former player of both teams, he fully understood the ramifications of a bounty and their intended effect. Therefore, any person with a shred of common sense would understand that this was something that you could not even joke about. This is especially true because many are convinced the practice continued even up to 1999 when Michael Irvin was driven into the turf and broke his spine, ending his Hall of Fame career.

And some of you believe the punishment was excessive?

I wonder how Baldinger could be so insensitive to the idea of inflicting bodily damage. All he has to do is look at his mutilated pinky, the result of getting it stuck in the helmet of Randy White. Does he care to joke about that?

Manster68

Reaction score
I remember throughout the 90s ESPN Radio had a analyst that kept saying "Take 15 for the team." That was Philly fan Tony Bruno.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Actually, I find it pretty ironic that YOU created the Youtube video with the audio clip. YOU sent it to the Ben and Skin Show hoping to stir up **** (don't try back tracking, now) and now your acting like some kind of Brian Baldinger martyr.

"Oh he didn't deserve thaaat".

Puhease.

Can it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daaaaaang.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous to suspend the guy from his job for that long. He didn't say anything that bad.

Are you freaking serious....you should be suspended for 6 months for this post.....:lmao: