NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1. I am not willing to quit on this season until Thanksgiving. This team can win games if the OL and Zeke get back to balling and the D continues to develop

2. While we aren’t “one player away from a SB” — there are moves we can make that add value. This would be one of those IMO. ET knows Richard and knows how to play defense on a SB team. That experience and leadership alone would be fantastic— beyond the obvious improvement and consistency at FS that has been lacking for years.

3. Who is the “next ET” in this years draft? Derwin James? His ceiling is high and he is an incredible athlete— but he had two INTs last year. Far from a proven NFL All Pro at this point. He may be great or he may struggle to adjust to the pro game. Time will tell.

Win games? You also don't sound confident about them being a contender. I'm not concerned about moves that "add value" at the expense of the future. Would love the leadership, that part would be great. We can get him for free after this year as he will be a FA.

Its always about the future for me. Unless we are a team like the Eagles. Then the short term can be more of a going concern.

Whether people want to admit it or not the Cowboys are rebuilding. The QB is growing and learning. The Defense is being rebuild, now they are rebuilding the receiving corps. The secondary is in a rebuild. 2 or 3 years from now if we do this right. This is no longer a team with an aging Romo in a hurry. We have a young core with Dak and Zeke.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Please, no. Not even at a 2nd rounder. He's 29 in 3 weeks, and he's already played for 8 years so he has a lot of mileage. Dallas would be doing Seattle a favor because he's a free agent next year.

ESisback

Reaction score
Please, no. Not even at a 2nd rounder. He's 29 in 3 weeks, and he's already played for 8 years so he has a lot of mileage. Dallas would be doing Seattle a favor because he's a free agent next year.

Agreed! It seems like we always get the poopy end of the stick in trades with other teams.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yeah, I think so. It sounds like you're not really saying anything. They can be found in college free agency in that case, too. Which means we don't really have to worry a bout the draft picks, anyway. But we know what a long shot that really is.
No I'm saying things but it's not what you want to hear. You have your own agenda from my comment. If you want to disagree that you can find all pros in the 2nd or any round then that's your right..... But you would be wrong as history has proved

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I might agree with this, but this team lacks actual playmakers on defense. We've got Lawrence, and we've got Sean Lee, for now. Adding a guy to that third level who's a legit play maker for at least this year and next makes a lot of sense. Those guys aren't available often, and they don't come cheap when they are.

Throw in the connection with Richard, and the help he could be in developing the rest of the young players in the secondary...on top of how long it's been since we've had a standout player at Safety, and I'm ok with overpaying this player here. It just needs to be a marginal overpayment.

I'm not ok with overpaying SEA with draft picks, though. They are over a barrel. He doesn't want to stay, and they're rebuilding. They have him for this year, only. So the cost for him has to be the value of the comp pick they'd get next year plus the premium for a one year rental. I think a 3rd and a 4th is reasonable, but could be talked into a 2nd for Thomas and their 4th in return. I haven't looked at the value of either of those options, they just pass the smell test for me.

I'm with you on everything you said. And I would even pay the 8 million a year for the next two years. But I'm not giving a way a 2nd rounder for a guy to be here for 2 or 3 years and is getting old. Yah, a 3rd rounder I could probably be talked into. Especially the way we draft after the first round.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I honestly think everyone in the CowboyZone is getting a woodie thinking about adding Earl Thomas in
the Dallas Cowboy Secondary. Be honest.

There was a time, many years ago, we had a Woody every game day... lol

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I offer the 2nd and tell Seattle that this is as good as it gets................take it or leave it.

I even throw in Beasly if they want a sweetner, he is gone next year anyways.

ICP

Reaction score
I hope if a trade does happen they can get it done for a 3rd at the most. Ideal scenario for me would be Evans at 19, trade up to get DJ Moore in the second and trade the 3rd to get Thomas.

Yeah I know, but I can dream can't I?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
An all pro LG could be found at 50 so I disagree. Plus that player would be cheaper and younger

All pro LG at 50?

Who the hell are you talking about? What 2nd round graded Guard are you saying is going to be All Pro?

And if he is going to be All Pro, why would he last till the second round? ZMart was a first btw.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what the Cowboys do, these yahoos here will crap on it regardless.

There are fanatics on both sides.

Yes, some folks complain about everything.

Yes, some folks support every more and just "cheer for the laundry".

Eddie

Reaction score
All pro LG at 50?

Who the hell are you talking about? What 2nd round graded Guard are you saying is going to be All Pro?

And if he is going to be All Pro, why would he last till the second round? ZMart was a first btw.

Larry Allen. :)