NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

kskboys

Reaction score
I like ET but my gawd, so many here act like he’s the cornerstone to a championship. He’s going into his 9th season, is 29 years old, hasn’t played a full season since 2015. I’m not knocking him. Great player from 2010-2015. But now? Not sure.

Again, he has been a great player, but for how much longer? I wouldn’t mind having him around for sure. BUT- at what price and for how long? He’s a FA next year, which means we must also be careful about signing a guy at this age to anything more than an incentive laden, team friendly, short term deal.

Trading for a guy like Earl Thomas is usually a move made by a team that is “one key player away” from glory. Are the Cowboys that kind of team? No. Can we make some noise next year? Maybe. But this team needs a lot more than a 29 year old safety who hasn’t been injury free in 2 years. Caution flags!!!
And w/ his salary?

I love me some Earl, but I actually wouldn't give anything for him. His salary is just too high.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I disagree. We have a ton of players that will need contracts and adding another high priced player plus lose draft capital isn't something I want. You think we can get 4-5 more years then we wait until next season and sign him as a free agent and keep our 2nd..... That could be our starting LG by the way which is more important right now

So you don't think Thomas would give the cowboys that hometown discount? I don' think he would be high priced.

As for contracts, the cowboys should be in a better cap situation the next 2 years and so on.

And what's wrong with getting Thomas as young as we can? Wouldn't want to wait a year.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
He is also guaranteed to cost 10-times what that 2nd round pick will cost in terms of annual salary.

Another huge consideration.

True. But this team has lacked a dynamic playmaker at S for years. I think ET has 3-4 good years left. I think it would be worth it to think about investing in him. Won’t be heartbroken if we go younger though

DEMFAN

Reaction score
I would give a 3rd hell look at our first round pick Claiborne no pick is guaranteed to work out. I’ll take 3 or 4 years of ET instead of a bust pick.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So you don't think Thomas would give the cowboys that hometown discount? I don' think he would be high priced.

As for contracts, the cowboys should be in a better cap situation the next 2 years and so on.

And what's wrong with getting Thomas as young as we can? Wouldn't want to wait a year.
Wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick is what I'm saying. You aren't getting Thomas from 5 years ago. I don't mind him in the team but not at the cost of a 2nd, that's too much

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Key word.... Can..... Can be found. Understand now

Yeah, I think so. It sounds like you're not really saying anything. They can be found in college free agency in that case, too. Which means we don't really have to worry a bout the draft picks, anyway. But we know what a long shot that really is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No gurantees where he goes once he is a UFA... besides that— we have a gigantic hole at FS with Byron going to corner and a vet like ET can help the young pups adjust to Kris Richard and develop quicker in hid system.

I would trade a 2nd for ET as he is an All Pro at a position of need on our team. He is guranteed better than any safety you draft at 50 this year— and we are in a decent place to sign him long term if we want to.

Hes an all pro getting 8 million at year that has maybe 2-3 good years left. Personally I am under no illusions that they are going to be winning the SB this year. Give me a shot a 10 year guy that we will only be paying 2 million a year for the next 4 years. We need the next ET, not the getting old ET.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
earl-thomas_opt.jpg
https://nesn.com/2018/04/nfl-rumors-heres-whats-stalling-potential-earl-thomas-cowboys-trade/

NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

Earl Thomas has stated his loyalty to the Seattle Seahawks, but the rumors of the star safety joining another NFC team refuse to die down.The Dallas Cowboys reportedly have had their eye on Thomas for some time. The feeling appears to be mutual, as the six-time Pro Bowl selection was spotted chatting with Jason Garrett after a Cowboys-Seahawks clash last season, advising Dallas’ coach to bring him to America’s Team. But if you’re wondering why there’s been no action despite the long-standing chatter, it might be due to Seattle’s expected high asking price for the defensive stalwart.

“The Cowboys have contacted the Seahawks about a potential draft trade,” the Star-Telegram’s Clarence E. Hill Jr. writes. “But the Seattle asking price of a first- and third-round draft pick was too high. The Cowboys are holding out hope that their asking price goes down to maybe a second-round pick.” While a player of Thomas’ caliber is worth a sizable haul, pressure could force the Seahawks to lower their demands. Thomas is set to enter the final year of his contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the 2018 campaign. Out of fear of losing him for nothing, Seattle might have to make a business decision. And if the Seahawks go that route, it sounds like the Cowboys will be chomping at the bit to make a deal.
They are quoting Clarence E. Hill.

Hill disguised as a German:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick is what I'm saying. You aren't getting Thomas from 5 years ago. I don't mind him in the team but not at the cost of a 2nd, that's too much

I agree. I hope either a 3rd and a player or a 4th and a player. With the pressure Seattle is under in this situation they could very well fold that way.

Hell We may even luck up and give them one or two "late" picks only for thomas.

Cas2800

Reaction score
The same people who believe we should have traded Dez for a high draft pick are the same people who think Thomas is worth a first or second. Reality is nobody was willing to give up a 7th for Dez. I doubt anyone is willing to give up higher then a 3rd for Thomas. Jerry realized they just had to cut Dez. Its taken Seattle a little longer to realize they wont get higher then a 3rd. They might not realize it until the bottom of the second round.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Nothing more than 4th rounder. We live in world that is much different than what it was 30 seconds ago.

Yep. Nothing mor then that. And that is a high one to me. But it would be ok. Better a 5th.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Hes an all pro getting 8 million at year that has maybe 2-3 good years left. Personally I am under no illusions that they are going to be winning the SB this year. Give me a shot a 10 year guy that we will only be paying 2 million a year for the next 4 years. We need the next ET, not the getting old ET.

1. I am not willing to quit on this season until Thanksgiving. This team can win games if the OL and Zeke get back to balling and the D continues to develop

2. While we aren’t “one player away from a SB” — there are moves we can make that add value. This would be one of those IMO. ET knows Richard and knows how to play defense on a SB team. That experience and leadership alone would be fantastic— beyond the obvious improvement and consistency at FS that has been lacking for years.

3. Who is the “next ET” in this years draft? Derwin James? His ceiling is high and he is an incredible athlete— but he had two INTs last year. Far from a proven NFL All Pro at this point. He may be great or he may struggle to adjust to the pro game. Time will tell.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Generally speaking, I might agree with this, but this team lacks actual playmakers on defense. We've got Lawrence, and we've got Sean Lee, for now. Adding a guy to that third level who's a legit play maker for at least this year and next makes a lot of sense. Those guys aren't available often, and they don't come cheap when they are.

Throw in the connection with Richard, and the help he could be in developing the rest of the young players in the secondary...on top of how long it's been since we've had a standout player at Safety, and I'm ok with overpaying this player here. It just needs to be a marginal overpayment.

I'm not ok with overpaying SEA with draft picks, though. They are over a barrel. He doesn't want to stay, and they're rebuilding. They have him for this year, only. So the cost for him has to be the value of the comp pick they'd get next year plus the premium for a one year rental. I think a 3rd and a 4th is reasonable, but could be talked into a 2nd for Thomas and their 4th in return. I haven't looked at the value of either of those options, they just pass the smell test for me.

cern

Reaction score
Thomas played great surrounded by the legion of boom. That will not be the case here. The hawks seem to understand the notion of moving on from aging, but formerly great and expensive players. I think stephen gets it, too. Ergo no Thomas.