No African-American Coaches Hired Yet

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
abersonc said:
the only thing more tiresome than hearing about this "racism crap" is having folks continually deny that it exists. if you honestly believe that minorities have more opportunities in this country then i feel sorry for your ignorance.
You must think 'racism' only applies to whitey. Keep telling blacks, or believing blacks (if you are one) haven't got a fair shake in the NFL or anywhere in America and they/you will begin to believe it.......at that point, I guarantee they/you will fall behind economically, professionally, socially, psychologically....nothing is worse than having the belief that you can't do something in life because of something you can't control or change such as race (unless you are Jacko). The lives of people who believe that become a Self-fulfilling failure.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
marsbennett said:
You must think 'racism' only applies to whitey. Keep telling blacks, or believing blacks (if you are one) haven't got a fair shake in the NFL or anywhere in America and they/you will begin to believe it.......at that point, I guarantee they/you will fall behind economically, professionally, socially, psychologically....nothing is worse than having the belief that you can't do something in life because of something you can't control or change such as race (unless you are Jacko). The lives of people who believe that become a Self-fulfilling failure.

I think you confuse what you believe that African Americans believe with what you think they believe.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Man, Aber. Do me a favor. Find a grant for a white man, married, eduated, has a job. There are none that I qualify for, yet if I were merely a women I would qualify for 13 grants, If I were a black man, same situation as the white man, I would qualify for over 20 grants. If I were an american Indian in the same situation, I would qualify for over 20 grants.

If you cant see the shift in thinking about this affirmative action, you are not watching. The minorities have discovered a gold mine of money, and who pays for it. The white man with a job and a family to support.

We have made it so the if your a minority at all, you can have America and we will pay for it. They have housing breaks, auto breaks, Educational breaks. They have preferential treatment in getting jobs, and infact have to be hired while I am not even guarenteed an interview.

The Minorities have abused the system put in place to help pple that really need help. They take advantage of our generosity. Then all the while, taking the help I pay for, they call me racist and demand more.

A lot of pple are tired of this whole affirmative action thing. Its racial reversism and enable and allows bigots to propogate their hatred.

Oh Boooo Whooooo.....you really have it tough. There are racists people of every culture no doubt and White people do get discriminated against by Blacks, but to even try to compare your plight with Blacks, women and other minorities is ridiculous and just plain BS.

mickgreen58 said:
At yearend 2004 there were 3,218 black male sentenced prison inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared

to 1,220 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 463 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.

The "work-experience unemployment rate" for blacks, 12.1 percent, was higher than the rate for either Hispanics (10.5 percent) or whites (7.6 percent). Men had higher rates than did women in each of these three groups, but this was especially

true among blacks. The "work-experience unemployment rate" for black men (14.0 percent) was much higher than that for black women (10.5 percent).

link

Black men were the only major group for whom the "work-experience unemployment rate" increased from 1999 to 2000.

link

Blacks are arrested for marijuana possession at a two and a half times greater rate than whites, according to a new study published by the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

link

Blacks make up 8 percent of Seattle's population and only 6 percent to 7 percent of drug users in King County, but they account for 57 percent of adult drug arrests, according to a study released yesterday.

The six-month study of 1999 arrests, conducted by graduate-student researchers at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government, suggests two key reasons for the racial disparity:

Police place greater emphasis on curbing low-level drug sales in open-air markets downtown than in outlying neighborhoods.

Sellers, rather than predominantly white buyers, have been the focus of frequent undercover "buy busts."

The researchers, for example, interviewed drug-treatment professionals who reported that the majority of heroin users in King County were white. That conclusion was supported by records from the county's Medical Examiner's Office, which showed that during 1997-99, 83 percent of the people suffering heroin overdoses were white.

Yet in 1999, 54 percent of heroin-related convictions involved African-Americans, the study found.

"It's white guys in their 30s who are dying, but it's black guys who are going to jail," Ron Green, an area drug-treatment provider, told the researchers.

In each of the last two years, Seattle police reported making about 4,000 drug arrests. The study used a sample of slightly more than 3,000 drug arrests in Seattle made in 1999. Of those, 1,711 were black, 1,167 were white or Hispanic, 91 were Asian, and 49 were Native American.

link

In Maryland, a state survey of police traffic stops—ordered by the state court in response to state troopers' use of racial profiling—found that from January 1995 through December 1997, 70 percent of the drivers stopped on Interstate 95 were African

Americans. According to an ACLU survey conducted around that time, only 17.5 percent of the traffic and speeders on that road were African American.
Source: Cole, David, No Equal Justice: Race and Class in the American Criminal Justice System (New York: The New Press, 1999), p. 36.

In his book No Equal Justice, Georgetown Law Professor David Cole notes "A Lexis review of all federal court decisions from January 1, 1990, to August 2, 1995, in which drug-courier profiles were used and the race of the suspect was discernible revealed that of sixty-three such cases, all but three suspects were minorities: thirty-four were black, twenty-five were Hispanic, one was Asian, and three were white." Source: Cole, David, No Equal Justice: Race and Class in the American Criminal Justice System (New York: The New Press, 1999), p. 50.

In Montgomery County, MD in 2001, “Blacks drivers were about three times as likely as whites to be asked if their vehicles could be searched. Of 450 searches, 197, or 43.8 percent, were of black drivers; 150 were of whites; and 78 were Hispanics.”
Source: Phuong, Ly, “Montgomery Traffic Data Show Race Disparity” Washington Post, Friday, November 2, 2001

link

Charging that the war on drugs has been waged disproportionately against blacks, Human Rights Watch today will release a report showing that 482 of every 100,000 African American men are in prison for a drug crime, compared with just 36 of every 100,000 white men.

The study, titled "Punishment and Prejudice," also found that blacks make up 62% of the nation's imprisoned drug offenders, despite accounting for just 13% of the population. In half a dozen states, the disparity is even greater, with blacks comprising 80% to 90% of all drug convicts behind bars. In every state, they are more likely than white men to be incarcerated for such crimes--from North Dakota, where the odds are double, to Illinois, where the ratio is 57 to 1.

Illinois topped the list, with 1,146 of every 100,000 black men (compared with just 20 of every 100,000 white men) in prison for a drug offense. Ohio followed, with a rate of 968, then Kentucky, at 869. The report compared those numbers with the

rates for white men and ranked the states according to the degree of racial disparity. Illinois again led, with blacks 57 times more likely than whites to be incarcerated for drug crimes. Wisconsin followed, with a 54-to-1 ratio, then Minnesota, at 39 to 1.

California's per capita rate for black drug offenders--669 of every 100,000--was the nation's seventh highest. But because California's total black population is smaller than that of many Southern and Northeastern states, the disparity with whites was among the lowest; even so, African American drug offenders here are five times more likely than whites to land in prison.

States in which blacks comprise the highest percentage of imprisoned drug offenders:

1. Maryland: 90%

2. Illinois: 90%

3. South Carolina: 86%

4. North Carolina: 84%

5. Louisiana: 82%

California: 30%

U.S. average: 62%

link

Blacks who bought homes in communities across America last year were four times as likely as whites to get charged high interest rates for mortgage loans, according to a Charlotte Observer analysis of records from 25 of the nation's largest lenders.

Even blacks with incomes above $100,000 a year paid high rates more often than whites with incomes below $40,000.

For decades, African Americans struggled to get loans at any price. Lenders ignored entire black neighborhoods, a practice called redlining.

Last year, the nation's 10 largest banks denied black applicants twice as often as whites. And on average they made only 5 percent of their home loans to blacks.

A new group of companies has filled the void. These "subprime" lenders, companies such as Ameriquest and New Century, charge higher interest rates than banks.

The result: In 2004, blacks received twice as many home purchase loans as a decade ago.

link

In 1992, black men with professional degrees earned 79% of the salaries of white men holding jobs at comparable levels. Black women with professional degrees earned 60% of the salaries of white men at comparable levels.

In 1992, 90% of black female professionals held jobs in the government sector, suggesting there are limited opportunities in the private sector for this population.

In 1990, an Urban Institute study comparing pairs of black and white job applicants with identical credentials found that 'unequal treatment of black job seekers was entrenched and widespread, contradicting claims that hiring practices today either favor Blacks or are effectively color blind.'

link

According to 1998 U.S. Department of Labor statistics, blacks are almost twice as likely as whites to be unemployed. The unemployment rate is also higher for Latinos than for whites. Blacks and Latinos generally earn far less than whites.

In 2000, the median weekly earning for blacks was $459; for Latinos, it was $395. In that period, average income for whites was $590. Workers of color are still concentrat*ed in the less well-paying, unskilled sector. In 1993, black and Latino men were half as likely as whites to be employed as man*agers or professionals and much more like*ly to be employed as machine operators and laborers.

link

I know the truth hurts but Racism is alive and well in the United States. I hate to take the "cup half empty" approach, but it is probably here to stay...

Kilyin

Reaction score
abersonc said:
the only thing more tiresome than hearing about this "racism crap" is having folks continually deny that it exists. if you honestly believe that minorities have more opportunities in this country then i feel sorry for your ignorance.

You should step outside of your bubble sometime, because you need a reality check.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Sorry to break this news to you, but they have no credibility with me at all.

Really? You could have fooled me :D .

cajuncowboy said:
I lived in Williamsport, Pa for many years. Just 20 miles from where I lived is a little town called Lock Haven. There was a paper Mill there. The town had fallen on hard times. But Jessie thought he would ride to the rescue. He came in talking about how the union should stick together because the Paper Mill was talking about cutting some benefits and wages to stay afloat.

Many of these workers were struggling but at least they had a job. But Jessie gave his speech, said about how they should not waiver from their position of not taking any cuts and to stick it out.

At the end of his speech guess what he did????

He took a collection for his rainbow push coalition. These guys are looking at major cuts in their income and Jessie wants their money! He is a hypocrite and nothing more. Just as is Sharpton.

And one more thing. It's not an assasination if you shoot yourself. And that is what they did to their own character.

True many man in this world have done some really bad things in their life along with doing some good.

I am no big supporter of Jessie and Al myself, but they have done some good in the community and the world as a whole.

Some of this country's greatest leaders such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King Jr, etc etc have done some bad things in their life, but one cannot only look at the bad and totally ignore the good.

- Mike G.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I know the truth hurts but Racism is alive and well in the United States.

What is so painful? Sure it is alive all over the world and will be until the end of time. You are either implying that said behavior is institutionalized or you are pointing out the obvious. If you are claiming institutional racism in America......keep railing against those few that are that way, ignore those who have gotten beyond it (which is the masses of white people), and hang your head in self shame because the only one stopping you....is you.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Oh Boooo Whooooo.....you really have it tough. There are racists people of every culture no doubt and White people do get discriminated against by Blacks, but to even try to compare your plight with Blacks, women and other minorities is ridiculous and just plain BS.

I know the truth hurts but Racism is alive and well in the United States. I hate to take the "cup half empty" approach, but it is probably here to stay...

LEt me ask you a question Mick. If you and I are equally qualified for the same position and we have the same senority or experience, what do you think should be the determining factor? Your skin color? Or your presentation of yourself during the interview process? Do you think the job should be given to you based on the fact that you are a Black man? Because I know that if it were given to me because I am a White man there would surley be cries of racism.

That is a serious question by the way. I really want to know.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think you confuse what you believe that African Americans believe with what you think they believe.
The vast majority of blacks I know are through a 98% black church....the people there preach week in and week out to 'get over the poverty mentality' and believe. The last thing Pastor James Corbett would do is preach excuse making.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Kilyin said:
You should step outside of your bubble sometime, because you need a reality check.

Let's see. Reality is: a) racism is a thing of the past or b) racism still exists?

Just because people aren't shouting out the n-word as brother and sisters walk down the street doesn't mean that b is false and a is true.

superpunk

Reaction score
Why haven't I been interviewed for a head coaching job?

I'm white. I'm a man.

Oh, that's right.....there's a little thing called being qualified for the position. There's a bigger pool of white men than any other class to choose qualified head coaching candidates. It has nothing to do with racism, it's simple supply and demand. If a minority is more qualified, he will get the job.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
marsbennett said:
The vast majority of blacks I know are through a 98% black church....the people there preach week in and week out to 'get over the poverty mentality' and believe. The last thing Pastor James Corbett would do is preach excuse making.

I think we are talking about two different things -- efforts to make for a more equal society are not the same as "excuse making" - one is a recognition of those in power that their own actions cause inequity -- the other is a positive act of those discriminated against to believe in their abilities to succeed.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I am no big supporter of Jessie and Al myself, but they have done some good in the community and the world as a whole.

They don't do **** unless it involves helping a black person. Al crucifies cops and never apologizes when his witness against them is proven a liar and Jesse uses extortion to enrich himself through his rainbow coalition/push organizations.

If you ain't black, those two racists could give a rat's arse about you.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
What is so painful?

I think my last post showing numerous examples of the state of Race in this country answers that question.

marsbennett said:
Sure it is alive all over the world and will be until the end of time. You are either implying that said behavior is institutionalized or you are pointing out the obvious.

Judging some of the comments in this thread, I felt the need to say the obvious as some seem to deny its very existence.

marsbennett said:
If you are claiming institutional racism in America......keep railing against those few that are that way, ignore those who have gotten beyond it (which is the masses of white people), and hang your head in self shame because the only one stopping you....is you.

There are always going to be exceptions to the rules and minorities who "transcend" all races (Michael Jordan comes to mind), but for the majority of minorities, Racism is a huge part of their life. Hey, I didnt do those studies and stats I presented, Harvard, EEOC, Dept. of Labor, Government etc etc did them, I just acted as the messenger.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Really? You could have fooled me :D .

True many man in this world have done some really bad things in their life along with doing some good.

Some of this country's greatest leaders such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King Jr, etc etc have done some bad things in their life, but one cannot only look at the bad and totally ignore the good.

- Mike G.

WHile I agree with your premise, there is no credibility in a man who talks a young woman into haveing feces smeared on her and falsly claiming that white cops did it to her just to start a race riot.

I can't see how any person would do that to their own race. And by that I mean the Human Race which the only race that really matters anyway. If people would just look at other people as people rather than Black people or White people we would be much better off.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Let's see. Reality is: a) racism is a thing of the past or b) racism still exists?

Just because people aren't shouting out the n-word as brother and sisters walk down the street doesn't mean that b is false and a is true.

A is true with regard to instituionalization....B is always going to exist AMONGST ALL RACES. Suggesting that it (racism) doesn't exist at all is idiocy. The KKK, skinheads, and Louie Farrakan's The Nation of Islam are all the living proof I need.

As far as someone not saying the "n word" yeah, the only ones shouting that obscene crap ARE the brothas and sistas to each other. But that's OK for some reason.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Oh and one more thing. When you have idiots like Hilary Clinton making these kinds of statements, it's easy to see who fuels the fires of racism:

From a MLK JR event yesterday.

Said Clinton, “When you look at the way the House of Representatives has been run, it has been run like a plantation and you know what I'm talking about..."

At some point the Black leaders of this country must stand up to this kind of thing if they want to get rid of it. At some point they need to realize they are being used.

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
Racism surely does still exist all over the world. Thing is, its not something that any one race has the market cornered on. Not by a long shot. Interesting question..................Why is it that a forum member here has an avatar of one of the biggest racist biggots around and nobody seems to care? A person who has made anti semetic remarks over and over again. A person who has made the comment after the L.A Riots that " there should be one day a year devoted to killing white people"!? Why is that? You see, were judged by what we say as much as what we do. If another member had an avatar of say David Duke I can assure you he would be called on it in an instant. Rightfully so I might add. Thing I dont understand is this poster has always been top shelf in her actions here. I dont get it? Interesting to say the least....

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:
Racism surely does still exist all over the world. Thing is, its not something that any one race has the market cornered on. Not by a long shot. Interesting question..................Why is it that a forum member here has an avatar of one of the biggest racist biggots around and nobody seems to care? A person who has made anti semetic remarks over and over again. A person who has made the comment after the L.A Riots that " there should be one day a year devoted to killing white people"!? Why is that? You see, were judged by what we say as much as what we do. If another member had an avatar of say David Duke I can assure you he would be called on it in an instant. Rightfully so I might add. Thing I dont understand is this poster has always been top shelf in her actions here. I dont get it? Interesting to say the least....

WHo in the heck said there should be a day of killing white people????

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
They don't do **** unless it involves helping a black person. Al crucifies cops and never apologizes when his witness against them is proven a liar and Jesse uses extortion to enrich himself through his rainbow coalition/push organizations.

If you ain't black, those two racists could give a rat's arse about you.

For Real? You are further showing your ignorance here about these two men

His biggest talent is as a negotiator or middleman in tense international conflicts. On numerous occasions Jesse Jackson has been responsible for the release of American hostages.

In 1984, he secured the release of Lieutenant Robert Goodman, from Syria, a captured US Navy officer. In 1987, he won the freedom of 48 Cuban and Cuban-American prisoners. In 1990, he was the first American to bring hostages out of Kuwait and Iraq. In 1999, after meeting with then-Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic, he was able to get 3 US soldiers released from Yugoslavia.

link

I bet Rober Goodman would tell you Jesse has done some good.

The intent of the Appalachian tour was to build a coalition among working poor people. I convinced them to vote their interest over their fears. The focus was on tax cuts for the wealthy, our war in Iraq, jobs being shipped overseas – and how all these issues affect working families. Working poor people cannot put on big fundraisers. The working poor do not attract cameras. In this part of the country, when their children graduate from high school, it is difficult for them to afford to go to college. Jobs are harder and harder to come by so they go to the military and thus become your Jessica Lynches and they come out of Appalachia and other poor communities disproportionately to the rest of the country.

For example, in those hills, and West Virginia, and Southern, Southeastern Kentucky, Ohio area, those making minimum wage are at 65% the poverty level, so they’re working poor. Most of the people are not on welfare. They work every day. A coal miner still dies every six hours from black lung disease. When you speak to and focus on the working poor, you begin to rebuild the heart strength and the soul of America again. We need to reinvest in America, put America back to work, and revive the great American promise.

link

I will bet next week's pay check that some of those Coal Miners he is trying to help and shed light on their plight are White.

Jackson spoke after leading a bus convoy into New Orleans to rescue 450 students trapped at Xavier University, and said he had been shocked by scenes of pain among refugees trying to flee the city.

link

I bet those 450 Students at Xavier would say he has done some good and I bet not all of them were black.

This is too easy....

But hey, in America, we all have to be labeled and grouped into some category...helps certain people keep others under control.

- Mike G.