Twitter: No more brace for Smith

JustChip

Reaction score

I realize Risen can be a bit of a curmudgeon, and I love the young man’s attitude, approach & story, but let’s reserve total effervescent enthusiasm for how he’ll be as a LB until we see the results on the field. But at the very least, he’s done what he needed to do to live a productive rest of his life.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I realize Risen can be a bit of a curmudgeon, and I love the young man’s attitude, approach & story, but let’s reserve total effervescent enthusiasm for how he’ll be as a LB until we see the results on the field. But at the very least, he’s done what he needed to do to live a productive rest of his life.
Old boy straight up posted over and over ad nauseum that he'll never get that brace off.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
i just think its funny the herd that decided to take the anti stance at least in part because they hated me.
I think people in general have difficulty separating the two. Most times when someone doesn't like someone, they disagree with everything they say. You're cool with me Fuzzy even though I haven't always agreed with you.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
But can he play at an average level?
He did last year. And even better towards the end. Why shouldn't we expect him to even better now that he doesn't need the brace?

Will he be a pro bowler next year? Probably not. But he does have the potential. And it will only be his second year playing.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
He's been getting the flexion back for some time. Nerve reinnervation can be a long drawn out process. The take away here is that he no longer needs to the brace to train.

Currently they are running and cutting under load out on the practice field sans the AFO. The peroneal is not used to push off it is used to position the foot so your calves and such can push off. Also not having a piece of hard plastic cupping his foot and calf alone is going to help his fluidity.

I really appreciated your posts in the past on the subject. You did the most research and were the most informed poster on the subject. A subject with such ambiguity, offering more information than some of the good Doctors we have on this site. There were no wrong and right answers because no one knows the final outcome. You provided the most information on something no one really knows nothing about because nerve regeneration is specific to each individual.

He still won't be a 100 percent this year but hopefully he can become the football player we hoped for.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
i will say this smith has definitely put in the time. If he don't make it its not because he didn't work hard. Wish Rico worked as hard. Starting TE spot could of been his for the taking.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I really appreciated your posts in the past on the subject. You did the most research and were the most informed poster on the subject. A subject with such ambiguity, offering more information than some of the good Doctors we have on this site. There were no wrong and right answers because no one knows the final outcome. You provided the most information on something no one really knows nothing about because nerve regeneration is specific to each individual.

He still won't be a 100 percent this year but hopefully he can become the football player we hoped for.

i won't go so far as to say that I contributed more than the doctors. it was interesting to use them as a sounding board. mostly those guys didn't want to wade into the fray as the issue had become so polarizing and it doesn't pay to be adversarial and a doctor.

Appreciate the kind words. I had a lot of fun learning about the issue.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He must show improvement this year in his play.

well of course but think about the issues that he was having. They mostly had to do with lateral quickness and recognition. The recognition can be coached but the concern with him getting juked in the hole or plain outrun is the fear that he had lost the athleticism that he displayed at ND.

Now that he doesn't have a hard piece of plastic strapped around his ankle foot etc he has a shot to display just that.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Honestly, you think he played well?
giphy.gif