'Nobody Fears' Cowboys Dak Prescott, ESPN Expert Claims In QB Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT22

Reaction score
It beats being miserable....why be a fan if you can't enjoy the game and just post negatives. Life is to short for that crap. You like it, have at it. You all deserve it.
And BTW I don't defend mediocrity, I attack miserable poster that make this place what if has become.
The fans are why the team can’t get past the divisional round in nearly 30 years. Got it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This came from an ex-Eagles player. How surprising.
Nothing but stir things up. and it worked. But then again it does not take much.
Yup. This place agreeing with an Eagles executive is the ultimate insult and definitely questionable as to being a real Cowboys fan.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This came from an ex-Eagles player. How surprising.
Played for:
Atlanta Falcons (1992)
Cleveland Browns (1993–1995)
Atlanta Falcons (1996)
Oakland Raiders (1998)

Executive for:
Washington Commanders (2001–2004) Pro scout
Washington Commanders (2005–2007) Director of pro personnel
Philadelphia Eagles (2008) Pro scout
Philadelphia Eagles (2009) Assistant director of pro personnel
Philadelphia Eagles (2010–2013) Director of pro personnel

He is a smart guy with experience in this league as a player and executive. He has been with ESPN since 2013 covering, analyzing and calling college and pro football.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
AC....defend Dak all day, I have zero issues with that and there are plenty of talking points to do so. Why do we have to tear down another man just because he has a different opinion though? Especially when the argument is that he only played in the NFL for 6 years and was an executive for only Washington & Philly? Who did you play for in your HOF career?
Dak has OWNED the Eagles, Commanders and Giants throughout his career. This Riddick was an executive for both the Eagles and Commanders. The last thing he should be saying is Dak is not feared when Dak has totally owned the teams he has been an executive for. I guarantee you the players with the Eagles, Commanders and Giants fear/respect Dak.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Name your top 5 so I can get a good laugh. Dak most definitely earned a top 5 QB ranking with his performance last season. Quit being a hater.
I don’t base my top 5 off one year of quarterbacking…I just told you I look at the entire body of work. Dak had an unbelievable year last year, the year before he was a turnover machine (uncharacteristically for him to be fair) overall he’s a top 10 guy closer to 10 then he is 1. Last year overall maybe bumps him up a spot or 2 but again I look at full body of work and the totality of the player.

He’s In the 7,8,9 range for me. I’m not taking Dak before Mahomes, burrow, Allen, Lamar Jackson or Herbert. Jackson is more of a threat for his ability to extend plays but he’s more of a threat than dak, Allen is much maligned and has a lot of parallels to dak but agin he’s still been to a championship game and had longer stretches of elite play than dak.

Saying dak isn’t top 5 isn’t being a hater. Saying he sucks is being a hater, saying we can’t win with him is being a hater, he’s just not a top 5 guy and that’s fine, we can still win with him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dak has OWNED the Eagles, Commanders and Giants throughout his career. This Riddick was an executive for both the Eagles and Commanders. The last thing he should be saying is Dak is not feared when Dak has totally owned the teams he has been an executive for. I guarantee you the players with the Eagles, Commanders and Giants fear/respect Dak.
Has Riddick even been in the league since Dak was drafted? I don' think Dak has owned anything related to Riddick.

Dak is absolutely respected around the league. He's a good player and seems like a great person off the field. Is he feared by any of these teams? I highly doubt it. Riddick is absolutely correct in his analysis. He never said Dak wasnt a good qb, but that he lacks that elite trait. Solid arm strength, but he doesnt possess a Josh Allen type of cannon. Solid accuracy that he has improved upon over the years and I wont discredit him for that. It's not like he can't read the field, but hes also not Brady/Manning back there. Solid athlete that uses his legs well, but his running abilities are not causing you to alter game plans for him.

I'd also argue that Riddick is one of the more respected media personalities around the league as well. Dude is pretty level headed, doesn't do the Skip Bayless hot takes for headlines, typically stays pretty consistent with his takes, and really doesn't play favorites. Former Eagle or not the guy is a good football personality. I wouldn't sit here and dismiss what Jimmy Johnson has to say about Brock Purdy because SF has dominated the Cowboys recently and Jimmy used to be part of the Cowboys.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t base my top 5 off one year of quarterbacking…I just told you I look at the entire body of work. Dak had an unbelievable year last year, the year before he was a turnover machine (uncharacteristically for him to be fair) overall he’s a top 10 guy closer to 10 then he is 1. Last year overall maybe bumps him up a spot or 2 but again I look at full body of work and the totality of the player.

He’s In the 7,8,9 range for me. I’m not taking Dak before Mahomes, burrow, Allen, Lamar Jackson or Herbert. Jackson is more of a threat for his ability to extend plays but he’s more of a threat than dak, Allen is much maligned and has a lot of parallels to dak but agin he’s still been to a championship game and had longer stretches of elite play than dak.

Saying dak isn’t top 5 isn’t being a hater. Saying he sucks is being a hater, saying we can’t win with him is being a hater, he’s just not a top 5 guy and that’s fine, we can still win with him.
Herbert sucked last year. Allen was average. As a passer, Jackson was worse than Allen. Dak blew those three out of the water as a passer last year, including Mahomes. Once again, how is Dak not a top 5 QB RIGHT NOW based on last year's performance? You can't judge a player on years' past performance while avoiding their current level of play. That's being disingenuous and unfair. Players improve or decline year by year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Has Riddick even been in the league since Dak was drafted? I don' think Dak has owned anything related to Riddick.

Dak is absolutely respected around the league. He's a good player and seems like a great person off the field. Is he feared by any of these teams? I highly doubt it. Riddick is absolutely correct in his analysis. He never said Dak wasnt a good qb, but that he lacks that elite trait. Solid arm strength, but he doesnt possess a Josh Allen type of cannon. Solid accuracy that he has improved upon over the years and I wont discredit him for that. It's not like he can't read the field, but hes also not Brady/Manning back there. Solid athlete that uses his legs well, but his running abilities are not causing you to alter game plans for him.

I'd also argue that Riddick is one of the more respected media personalities around the league as well. Dude is pretty level headed, doesn't do the Skip Bayless hot takes for headlines, typically stays pretty consistent with his takes, and really doesn't play favorites. Former Eagle or not the guy is a good football personality. I wouldn't sit here and dismiss what Jimmy Johnson has to say about Brock Purdy because SF has dominated the Cowboys recently and Jimmy used to be part of the Cowboys.
A Steelers player, Eagles player, Bills player and Colts player recently came out saying Dak is greatly respected whenever they know their teams have to play the Cowboys. That's all that matters, not some ex-executive from over a decade ago.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Good post.

It's always funny to me how you can't be the least bit critical of a teams QB, without having your fandom questioned. Even calling Dak a top 10 guy is an issue apparently. Any other position on the field you can rip to shreds and no one cares.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
A Steelers player, Eagles player, Bills player and Colts player recently came out saying Dak is greatly respected whenever they know their teams have to play the Cowboys. That's all that matters, not some ex-executive from over a decade ago.
Dak should be respected. He's a very good veteran QB. Respected doesnt mean feared though. What is his elite trait that teams should fear? What does Dak do better than other QBs that makes teams adjust how they plan for that game? If you want to disagree with Riddick I'm more than fine with that, but actually tell us why hes wrong. Hes a former Eagle and only played 6 years in the NFL as a player is a horrible argument and extremely disrespectful.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Good post.

It's always funny to me how you can't be the least bit critical of a teams QB, without having your fandom questioned. Even calling Dak a top 10 guy is an issue apparently. Any other position on the field you can rip to shreds and no one cares.
I don’t think saying stuff like “dak sucks” is critical though.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Herbert sucked last year. Allen was average. As a passer, Jackson was worse than Allen. Dak blew those three out of the water as a passer last year, including Mahomes. Once again, how is Dak not a top 5 QB RIGHT NOW based on last year's performance? You can't judge a player on years' past performance while avoiding their current level of play. That's being disingenuous and unfair. Players improve or decline year by year.
I don’t base a one year outlier as a basis for a top 5 quarterback or as a reason to drop someone completely out of the top 10. Dak had a top 5 SEASON this year, he’s not a top 5 quarterback that’s a huge difference and major distinction. The same way I didn’t buy into the dak was a turnover machine narrative coming off of 2022- I’m not reactionary or suffer from recency bias. Again, I look at entire body of work. The same way I didn’t think hurts was suddenly top 5 and so much better than dak after their Super Bowl run.

I don’t diminish stats like some here do as meaningless, they absolutely aren’t meaningless but winning big games absolutely matters in my criteria as well. Dak hasn’t ever had a deep playoff run and he beat up on lesser competition and played worse than expected against top competition- I don’t just over look that. Now, it doesn’t mean he won’t lead us where we need to go and if he puts up another mvp like season that absolutely goes into account.

I’m not sure how you can bang the table so much for dak being top 5 and then also expect him to take a pay cut

Chasing6

Reaction score
Good perspective but Not sure what your point is? Lamar Jackson plays quarterback. He’s a 2x mvp and Lamar Jackson wasn’t a “free agent”. in order to sign Jackson any team would have to give up 2 first round picks if the ravens didn’t match. He was also looking for a fully guaranteed contract - which the owner behind closed doors didn’t want to see happen after the browns did it.

None of this however takes away or has to with Dak
Just about every team would give up 2
first round picks for Mahomes and Allen. Pretty sure at least 1 team would have absolutely no problem giving Mahomes or Allen guaranteed money.

*** Please see Niners trade for Trey Lance.

Jackson relies heavily on running. Which is a high risk injury waiting to happen. Very smart for him to try to get guaranteed money. The NFL protects pocket passers with the rule changes. Once he is slowed down due to injury he will become a sub par QB.

***. Please see Niners - Trey Lance trade for crying out loud.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak should be respected. He's a very good veteran QB. Respected doesnt mean feared though. What is his elite trait that teams should fear? What does Dak do better than other QBs that makes teams adjust how they plan for that game? If you want to disagree with Riddick I'm more than fine with that, but actually tell us why hes wrong. Hes a former Eagle and only played 6 years in the NFL as a player is a horrible argument and extremely disrespectful.
My question to Riddick or anyone who agrees with him is who is feared? Who says they are afraid to face Justin Herbert? Or Tua? Hurts? Mahomes is the only quarterback I can see legit people fear. Maybe Josh and Lamar because of their legs? I just don’t see many guys out there worth being afraid of. Did people fear Aikman? Just another irrelevant thing to knock Dak for when you can literally knock everyone in the league either this argument.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Just about every team would give up 2
first round picks for Mahomes and Allen. Pretty sure at least 1 team would have absolutely no problem giving Mahomes or Allen guaranteed money.

*** Please see Niners trade for Trey Lance.

Jackson relies heavily on running. Which is a high risk injury waiting to happen. Very smart for him to try to get guaranteed money. The NFL protects pocket passers with the rule changes. Once he is slowed down due to injury he will become a sub par QB.

***. Please see Niners - Trey Lance trade for crying out loud.
I’m not sure how saying you’d rather have Mahomes or Allen than Jackson somehow makes Jackson a bad quarterback? I agree his major threat is his legs and once they go he’ll have a tough time but as of now he still has them and he’s a problem.

This is the equivalent of saying a guy who hits 60 homers every year but strikes out a lot isn’t a good hitter.

Staubacher

Reaction score
It beats being miserable....why be a fan if you can't enjoy the game and just post negatives. Life is to short for that crap. You like it, have at it. You all deserve it.
And BTW I don't defend mediocrity, I attack miserable poster that make this place what if has become.
You spew negativity here all the time. You just direct yours at fans while you jock sniff the players.

I know, I know you're superfan because you're supposedly a high school Knute Rockne while we dwell in basements.

We all do what we do man. Only constant is Dak gonna poop his pants when it counts.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
It’s true. Our opponents say the same thing. Plan: see if Dak can beat us. Spare me Dak feasting on terrible teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.