Nors, post your henson story

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Inverted reading comprehension:

Rush 2112: "I see Bledsoe as the starter for the next 1-3 years and I somewhat like the guy."

Don't pull a Vince Young on this one.

Does that equal I think Bledsoe sucks to you?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
31WillHammerU said:
Answer the question first.. Do you know who he is?

Keenan? Thats a big hockey name. Coach Mike Keenan and I remember a Larry Keenan that bounced around NHL. Believe there was also an old coach that bounced around any may have spent some time in New England. But all in all the name didn't mean much to me.

Sorry - lay it on me

Rush - sorry for the frag shot.:p:

31WillHammerU

Reaction score
Nors said:
Keenan? Thats a big hockey name. Coach Mike Keenan and I remember a Larry Keenan that bounced around NHL. Believe there was also an old coach that bounced around any may have spent some time in New England. But all in all the name didn't mean much to me.

Sorry - lay it on me

Rush - sorry for the frag shot.:p:

Was OC/QB coach under Parcells at New England after Palmer. So, he coached Bledsoe.

He worked at Tom Condon's IMG where he helped Drew Henson prepare for his NFL showcase 2 years ago. Might be the ultimate reason he ended up getting drafted by Houston to begin with. If I remember correctly, Dallas was interested in drafting him also, but Houston beat them to it.

I guess Bill might have known a little about the player. You think?;)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
31WillHammerU said:
Was OC/QB coach under Parcells at New England after Palmer. So, he coached Bledsoe.

He worked at Tom Condon's IMG where he helped Drew Henson prepare for his NFL showcase 2 years ago. Might be the ultimate reason he ended up getting drafted by Houston to begin with. If I remember correctly, Dallas was interested in drafting him also, but Houston beat them to it.

I guess Bill might have known a little about the player. You think?;)

Palmer I thought was QB Coach 96/97 Super Bowl season? Parcells left for Jets. I think you are mistaken on Larry Keenan - he was OC for Pete Carroll. When did Keenan work with Parcells? I really don't remember that - could be wrong.

I don't think that guy had much to anything to do with us wanting to draft him or him being here. I believe we passed on Henson in draft. I'm sure we did a lot of homework on Henson before pawning that 3rd for him. Didn't we send a posse to his workout in the day?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Chris Palmer was hired today by the Dallas Cowboys to fulfill the position of quarterbacks coach for the team. Palmer, who was the Cleveland Browns head coach in 1999 and 2000, will be reunited with Bill Parcells in Dallas as the two men coached together in New England from 1993 to 1996.

From 1993 to 1995, Palmer was the Patriots wide receivers coach under Parcells. In 1996, when the club advanced to Super Bowl XXXI, Palmer was the team�s quarterbacks coach and was responsible for tutoring Drew Bledsoe, the Cowboys current starting quarterback, who was the Patriots starter at the time.

Palmer comes to Dallas after his most recent assignment as the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans (2001-2005). Prior to being named head coach of the expansion Browns in 1999, Palmer was Tom Coughlin�s offensive coordinator with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1997-98).

I thought so - Palmer was Bledsoe's coach Super Bowl season 96/97. He left the year Parcells left.

Keenan was an assistant coach for Pete Carroll in 1997. I don't remember much abot that staff other than they were under a lot of fire in the day.....

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Nors said:
Chris Palmer was hired today by the Dallas Cowboys to fulfill the position of quarterbacks coach for the team. Palmer, who was the Cleveland Browns head coach in 1999 and 2000, will be reunited with Bill Parcells in Dallas as the two men coached together in New England from 1993 to 1996.

From 1993 to 1995, Palmer was the Patriots wide receivers coach under Parcells. In 1996, when the club advanced to Super Bowl XXXI, Palmer was the team�s quarterbacks coach and was responsible for tutoring Drew Bledsoe, the Cowboys current starting quarterback, who was the Patriots starter at the time.

Palmer comes to Dallas after his most recent assignment as the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans (2001-2005). Prior to being named head coach of the expansion Browns in 1999, Palmer was Tom Coughlin�s offensive coordinator with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1997-98).

I thought so - Palmer was Bledsoe's coach Super Bowl season 96/97. He left the year Parcells left.

Keenan was an assistant coach for Pete Carroll in 1997. I don't remember much abot that staff other than they were under a lot of fire in the day.....

Was Keenan on that staff allready or did he come with Carroll.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Post the great Larry Keenan story Hos - fire away at will
31WillHammerU gets credit for this, not me.

It is very interesting.

http://bills.scout.com/2/67492.html

Date: Oct 2, 2002, Bledsoe's 1st year at helm of Buffalo's Offense.

Q: You’ve worked with a lot of coordinators and coaches during your career. What kind of impact do they leave on your game and career?
Bledsoe: When you go through a long career as a quarterback and you get a chance to work with a lot of different guys, you take stuff with you from each of them. When I came into league and started working with Ray Perkins, my background was fairly limited and a lot of times I was dropping back, trying to find somebody open to chuck the ball. I went through three to four years with Ray Perkins and then Larry Kennan, Ernie Zampese for a couple of years and Charlie Weiss for a few years. I took a little bit from working with each of those guys as far as ideas in how to attack a defense and how to go through reads. All of that. If you’re conscientious about what you’re doing, there’s always something you’re going to take from each of those guys.

Here's some stuff from your mentor/sensei/guru Frank Coyle. Since Joel Bushbaum isn't alive to defend himself for his analysis of Henson maybe you can ask Coyle to explain himself.

Updated Drew Henson Scouting Report
03/26/04
NFL Trading Period '04

The current NFL offseason has produced more big trades than any year in over a decade. Pro Bowl performers like Clinton Portis, Champ Bailey, Terrell Owens and David Boston have moved on to new NFL clubs in a wave of player movement that could set new records for not just major trades but veteran free agent changes. Each of these trades has made a huge impact on pro teams positional needs for the upcoming NFL Draft '04.

The move that may prove to be the best deal of the year, though, could the Cowboys trade to acquire QB Drew Henson from the Houston Texans. The Cowboys surrendered only a #3 pick in the NFL Draft '05 for Henson who has the makeup of a blue chip NFL passer. Henson has been out of football for three years playing baseball in the N.Y. Yankees farm system. He is another football player who struggled hitting the curve ball and returns to the gridiron.

He has the tools to be a special NFL passer and how so many clubs sat by and allowed the 'Boys to jump in and get him so cheap is amazing. His initial contract demands were outlandish, but Dallas found a way to spread the bonus money and salary out over time to get it done. The 'Boys by the way, have three QBs, Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson in addition to Henson, all of whom played baseball and not very well at that. Henson signed a contract shortly after the deal was announced and is currently in the Dallas offseason program.

Once Henson made the decision to return to football, he has been working out since December 1st in Florida preparing for the offseason program of conditioning and mini camps in April and May. He is both a mature person and athlete and just turned 24 years of age and is capable of progressing as an NFL passer much quicker than people believe. He will enter training camp in July much more advanced than a true rookie and is not out of the realm of possibilities that he could start very early in his NFL career.

Here's his scouting report on Henson. Look at that rating score.

DREW HENSON #7 - 6'5" 245 LBS. - MICHIGAN - SP. 4.6
RATING 90

hensen.bmp

Blue chip athlete has terminated his baseball career after struggling as a third baseman for the Yankees farm club, the greatest team in the history of sports. Drew would have been one of the premier prospects of two NFL Drafts if he had stayed with college football instead of signing a 6 year deal for a $17 million dollar contract with the pinstripes. He has been paid only $5 million thus far with three years remaining on the contract. He was not in the Yankees future despite the injury to third baseman Aaron Boone. He was buried deep on the depth chart and with the signing of A Rod shortly after opting for football, he obviously made the right choice. As a college football player, he played for only parts of three seasons and at the end of the '00 season was considered as good as any pro football prospect in the nation. He just turned 24 years old in mid February and at his recent workout, he displayed a rocket arm that can rank with any player in the game. He tested over 40 in the Wonderlic test given by the Texans this winter. (Wonderlic test is an IQ test of 50 questions given in twelve minutes- The only player ever to test 100% was the Bengals WR Pat McInally. Ravens OT Jonathan Ogden also scored extremely high) Henson's score is an exceptionally high score and easily ranks in the top 10% of players tested over the past decade. The Yankees traded him to the Reds in the summer of '00 after he refused to sign an exclusive contract for just baseball, but they brought him back in another trade during the spring of '01. He has struggled ever since both in the field and hitting overall. During the '03 season for Triple A Columbus, he batted .234 with 14 homers, 40 doubles and 78 RBI while striking out 122 times and making 28 errors at third base. He played in the Arizona League in the fall of '02 and batted only .211 with 11 errors. That came on the heels of a terrible '02 season at Columbus where he struck out 151 times in 471 at bats.

As a college passer, he possesses every skill necessary to become a top flight NFL starter. Where he is currently on his development at the position is the key question. He has missed three full seasons of play and will have to make fast progress to regain his skills. Since the first week of December '03, he has been working at IMG in Florida with QB guru Larry Kennan who prepped him for his February 12th workout. At the workout, 20 NFL clubs attended and Henson displayed the rocket arm that left pro scouts dazzled by his performance despite it being as limited as it was. He threw 75 passes to an assortment of receivers showing the ability to throw all the patterns in an offense game plan. He is a diligent worker who has a huge frame and the ability to take a hit and fight off tacklers. He is quick in the pocket with the ability to move and pull down the ball and run for good yardage. He can throw on the move and showed fine accuracy in that area as a collegian. He has a powerful arm and the accuracy, timing and touch to make all the throws. He had limited playing experience at Michigan with only one season as a starter and he missed the start of that '00 season with a broken bone in his right foot that cost him the first 4 games. When he returned he established himself as one of the nation's blue chip prospects.

The Numbers: During his final season in '00, he started nine games and threw for 2146 yards on 146 completions of 237 passes for a 61% completion rate including a big effort in the finale. He had 18 TD passes and only 4 interceptions. He completed his college playing career with a huge performance in the Citrus Bowl vs. Auburn where he was almost perfect. He went 15 of 20 passing for 294 yards and 2 TDs and no interceptions. He was extremely accurate in all phases of passing especially the deep ball, which he places in an excellent location for the receiver to make a play on the ball. Over his career, he threw only 7 picks, displaying fine accuracy and decision-making. Earlier in his career, he was a backup to Tom Brady who has gone on to stardom with the Patriots leading them to two Super Bowl titles and MVP awards in both victories.

The Skinny: He will command a lot of attention by clubs this March when the trading period opens on March 3rd. The Texans own his rights after selecting him in the 6th round last spring. IF he does not sign or agree to a trade before the NFL Draft '04 on April 24th, he goes back in the draft again. The Texans have received several offers for Henson with an early round pick on the table currently. In this current draft, he most likely would not go before any of the top three QB prospects and would have to be considered a first round bubble prospect if he reenters this class. He could be the steal of the draft at that point. Terrific prospect with the talent to be an elite NFL starter. Though he is clearly a developmental project at this point after being out of football three seasons, he has the package to make up ground quickly. His ability to step up to a high level during the '00 season with such little playing experience indicated that he is a natural for the position. If, and it is a big if, he had stayed in school and developed further we would be talking about Drew Henson as the top NFL prospect the past three years instead of David Carr, Carson Palmer or Eli Manning. He most likely would have to sit and learn during the '04 season but his fast progress since December indicates he is capable of playing this summer. He is a mature athlete and has all the physical and mental talents to adjust quickly and challenge for a starting job as early as the '05 season. He is a true franchise type passer who got caught between decisions over two sports and his initial decision was an obvious incorrect one. He is still very young and just turned 24 years old and has the time to recoup any lost time due to the career change. He is a passer with the ability to be as good as any starting QB in the NFL in time with the athletic ability and mental skills necessary to become a Pro Bowl performer. Clubs like the Cowboys, Browns, Dolphins, Bills, Steelers and Raiders are interested and would be wise to spend a top 100 selection in either of the next two drafts. Henson is that good and a #2 pick say in the NFL Draft '05 could wind up as the steal of the decade on a player who is capable of being a league MVP winner over his career.

Content Provided by
Frank Coyle
DraftInsiders.com

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Hostile [B said:
Here's some stuff from your mentor/sensei/guru Frank Coyle. Since Joel Bushbaum isn't alive to defend himself for his analysis of Henson maybe you can ask Coyle to explain himself.

Yeah well, what does Frank Coyle know, since we have resident draft genius(es) :grin:

Edit: Per your wish Hos :D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hos - Good scouting on Henson

Larry Keenan was Pats OC in 1997 the year after Parcells and Palmer left. I still don't see any tie on Keenan back to Bill Parcells and Dallas.

We did send a Parcells possee to that workout and ended up trading for him indeed (3rd).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Hos - Good scouting on Henson

Larry Keenan was Pats OC in 1997 the year after Parcells and Palmer left. I still don't see any tie on Keenan back to Bill Parcells and Dallas.

We did send a Parcells possee to that workout and ended up trading for him indeed (3rd).
Not my scouting. 31WillHammerU.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Pats 1997 Keenan and Carroll -came in
31Hammer - where is the Keenan tie to Parcells?

Rather than criticize some of Carroll's moves in this big win, I'm going to lay off. Hey, they won the game, and this rookie coach has his team on top of the division, and hosting a playoff game.

I instead would rather criticize a coach who's team did not win when they had to. I will be the first guy to tell you that Bill Parcells is the best coach in the NFL, but he blew it in Detroit. The play calling in the second half would have Larry Keenan and Pete Carroll run out of this town for good. Tuna just gets away with it 'cause he's the Tuna.

What's with having Ray Lucas throw a deep ball into triple coverage with the lead? Even worse, on 1st and goal from the 9, with just over 3 minutes to play, down 3, Parcells has a rookie execute the halfback option, and Leon Johnson subsequently throws the ball right to a Detroit defender. Granted the ref blew the call, but the real blown call was the play itself. What if Kennan had Sedrick Shaw attempt the same play down in Miami on 1st and goal? He and Carroll would have had to take a cigar boat to Cuba.

With all the heat Carroll and his staff have taken all year long, particularly for not being up to the task of the legend he replaced, it's quite ironic that that same legend's blunders put the Pats in the playoffs, and the "new guy" followed up with a big win, on the road, on Monday Night Football.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Are you guys referring to Larry Kennan? He worked with Henson and was the offensive coordinator in NE after BP left.

I certainly didn't see any ties to BP.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
Are you guys referring to Larry Kennan? He worked with Henson and was the offensive coordinator in NE after BP left.

I certainly didn't see any ties to BP.

I Agree - Keenan was brought in by Carroll after Parcells left Pats. 31Will hit made the Keenan connection to Parcells and not so sure about that.

No biggie - Parcells if I remember had Payton and a posse work out Henson Directly in early 2004- he was first hand in on decision with JJ - JMO

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Geez....has a 3rd string backup QB ever gotten talked about so much on here?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Q still gets lots of talk......OH SHUTUP SELF.....

I apologize to the board.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Quincy
Chad
Henson

Nevermind - CBA approved
Lets not go there.....

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Q and Hutch got lots of talk.
Was either the 3rd stringer?

It's not about them anyway.....

I've never seen a 3rd string QB on ANY team get talked about so much....although I'm not a regular on any other teams boards either.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Was either the 3rd stringer?

It's not about them anyway.....

I've never seen a 3rd string QB on ANY team get talked about so much....although I'm not a regular on any other teams boards either.
I won't mince words this time.

They were no better than 3rd stringers in reality, as evidenced by the fact neither is gainly employed by an NFL Franchise.

Drew Henson, as much as it hurts some people's feelings, has promise.