Not enough Elite QB’s to go around

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Disagree, Dak does already benefit from a good defense yet can't lead this team deep into the playoffs. It's Dak himself that needs to improve if this team is to do better in the tournament.

I agree that Dak needs to improve, and he would be the first to tell you that. And yes, our defence is very good. However, especially when you go on the road in the playoffs or to cold environments, it helps to have a nose guard that can swallow blocks and make the rest of the defence better, which helps the QB increase his numbers. That's football 101.

Flamma

Reaction score
No, you really can't. Cap mins and maxes go hand in hand.

Salary caps are important for league health. Every business has salary caps, though they're often unwritten. Any employer can only afford to pay a certain amount.

Don't fall for the rich guy hate thingie. Skews the thought process.

Of course everyone has a cap. I have a cap. But it's not written into the rules. But cap or not, someone is going to pay for the great QB, or great WR. More if there was no cap. Because without a restriction in place, the richer, or more motivated owner will outbid the other.

I'm not a 100% proponent for no cap. I just prefer it over a hard cap.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree that Dak needs to improve, and he would be the first to tell you that. And yes, our defence is very good. However, especially when you go on the road in the playoffs or to cold environments, it helps to have a nose guard that can swallow blocks and make the rest of the defence better, which helps the QB increase his numbers. That's football 101.
You want to talk football 101? We need another QB. Dak ain't the guy that's going to take this team to a Super Bowl victory.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You want to talk football 101? We need another QB. Dak ain't the guy that's going to take this team to a Super Bowl victory.

I think he can be a big reason for it. He needs to stay healthy for the entirety of the season. When he was healthy, which was prior to the Pats game, he was one of the best QBs in the league. After that, he injured his calf and wasn't the same. If he can get back to how he played early in the season and our defence plays as they should, I think Dak can lead us to a Super Bowl. If we need a new QB, then there must be a capable replacement in the draft. The problem is that the QB to replace him did not exist in the past draft because the QBs were not close to Dak's level. I do think, unless some unforeseen circumstances should arise such as our entire oline getting hurt, that Dak shouldn't have any excuses as far as the offense goes going into this season. If the QB in the draft is available and able to be developed and we were unsuccessful, then sure, bring him in. The nice thing about having Dak is you don't have to start a rookie QB immediately. You can take a few seasons to develop the rookie.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nick Foles, Joe Flacco and even Eli Manning prove your point.

Don't even need to bring up the jag standard bearers of Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

About 20-25% of SBs are won with QBs that aren't normally great, but either had amazing defensive runs and/or got hot themselves for a few games.
not to forget Delhomme, Grossman, Dilfer, Doug Williams, Grapolo, Hasselback, Johnson, Brady ;)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So what is a elite QB then? How do we determine what a elite QB is without factoring in their team accomplishments?
one trait is they elevate their game in post season and team rally's behind them. ala Brady, etc... they play their best and do what's needed to win in the playoffs. they elevate themselves in tougher games.

Dak hasn't been consistent there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Trent Dilfer outlier gives some fans hope. If Trent Dilfer can be an anomaly and get carried to a Super Bowl then so can Dak. It gives them something to hold on to.

It's the same as the "Tom Brady was a 6th round pick" outlier to make them feel better about the Cowboys wasting the past 15 years on undrafted/4th round talent at the QB position.

It's all coping mechanisms to make themselves feel better about the situation.
Delhomme? Foles/Wentz? Johnson? Goff? Flacco? Grossman? Hasselback? etc... plenty of average QBs that have played or won superbowls.

its not an outlier. its not an anmoly. its pretty normal in fact. Dilfer is the extreme of the examples, although Grossman would give him a run for his money.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Montana was a 3rd round pick. Wilson was a 3rd round pick, Kurt warner was UDFA so QBs come in all rounds. the list of top 5 picks that failed is way too long to list here.

what you did is actually use two examples to build a generality. perhaps you wanted to say probability. probability of finding an elite QB in top of first round is much higher

you are welcome.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Agreed. But free agency without the cap would benefit the players.
to some extent....there would be only a few teams with lots of money in big markets. then the number of teams players could go to and get paid would be limited. and cheaper teams wouldn't pay (ala cinci). and if it continued as was, many of the teams would stay small market and not be able to compete in FA. and there would be 5-6 teams that would win year in year out, with an outlier breaking the group once in a while.

NFL went parity to generate competition, give small market teams a chance and generate interest. its working so far.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are not enough quality starting level QB's to go around, let alone elite.

Some would have had the Cowboys not re-sign Prescott and take their chances with the same brain trust that tried for Lynch and would have taken Cook.

There can be little argument that Prescott is at least in the top half, meaning there are at least 16 teams in worse QB shape.

They say they don't like Prescott, how did they like that rogue's gallery of QB's between Aikman and Romo? And quite a few didn't like Romo so for them, we can extend that.

Flamma

Reaction score
to some extent....there would be only a few teams with lots of money in big markets. then the number of teams players could go to and get paid would be limited. and cheaper teams wouldn't pay (ala cinci). and if it continued as was, many of the teams would stay small market and not be able to compete in FA. and there would be 5-6 teams that would win year in year out, with an outlier breaking the group once in a while.

NFL went parity to generate competition, give small market teams a chance and generate interest. its working so far.

I believe what you say to be true. No doubt. But don't think the salary cap is about parity, it's about saving money. We've all seen how the league was before the cap. Owners that made the most or wanted to win the most were good every year. All the cap does is lop off the top. The cap's goal is to make everyone 8-8. Teams that don't want to spend as much can compete because you're purposely hindering other teams from being great. I can only speak for myself, but that's not something I would strive for as a fan. As an owner, yeah.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are not enough quality starting level QB's to go around, let alone elite.

Some would have had the Cowboys not re-sign Prescott and take their chances with the same brain trust that tried for Lynch and would have taken Cook.

There can be little argument that Prescott is at least in the top half, meaning there are at least 16 teams in worse QB shape.

They say they don't like Prescott, how did they like that rogue's gallery of QB's between Aikman and Romo? And quite a few didn't like Romo so for them, we can extend that.
Yep

And I think most of our fans get it and are more in the middle on Dak. We could be in much worse shape at QB. There’s many other issues which are holding us back more.

Unfortunately like much of social media the extremes or vocal minority dominate the airwaves.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I believe what you say to be true. No doubt. But don't think the salary cap is about parity, it's about saving money. We've all seen how the league was before the cap. Owners that made the most or wanted to win the most were good every year. All the cap does is lop off the top. The cap's goal is to make everyone 8-8. Teams that don't want to spend as much can compete because you're purposely hindering other teams from being great. I can only speak for myself, but that's not something I would strive for as a fan. As an owner, yeah.
I agree, but I think its both. it allowed the smaller markets to compete and NFL teams over all saved money. I think they were watching the baseball league and seeing how just a few big market teams were dominating and the rest were more minor league and how baseball lost popularity and subsequently when baseball instituted their own form of salary control, they have regained popularity and teams from small markets are more competitive (btw, I don't think that's the only reason for surge in its popularity, but a factor).

btw, I haven't done a stat on records and variance of the record, which could show us the difference between pre and post cap era.....I mean detroit had an 0-16 season with the cap. I believe cleveland went 1-15. so teams do still screw up. one thing the cap did is to put more emphasis on better drafting.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
one trait is they elevate their game in post season and team rally's behind them. ala Brady, etc... they play their best and do what's needed to win in the playoffs. they elevate themselves in tougher games.

Dak hasn't been consistent there.
Well using your definition Aaron Rodgers must not be elite then……