OC Schottenheimer update on Trey Lance

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Was just listening to the latest Talkin Cowboys and the bad reviews on Trey Lance continue. Everyone on the show said they would take Cooper Rush over Trey Lance as the backup.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Was just listening to the latest Talkin Cowboys and the bad reviews on Trey Lance continue. Everyone on the show said they would take Cooper Rush over Trey Lance as the backup.
Well, no kidding. Rush is a vet and the kid is raw, so this is not news at all.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Surprise, surprise.

Imagine that. Who would have know?

I did. :laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Surprise, surprise.

Imagine that. Who would have know?

I did. :laugh:
He came in third in a QB competition last summer in San Francisco. He’s been with the Cowboys a full year and still doesn’t look good. I’m not sure he could beat anyone out. This has to be unsettling news for the fans who predicted he would be our next starter. :rolleyes: There’s some fools on this board that would start him no matter how bad he sucks. lol

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He came in third in a QB competition last summer in San Francisco. He’s been with the Cowboys a full year and still doesn’t look good. I’m not sure he could beat anyone out. This has to be unsettling news for the fans who predicted he would be our next starter. :rolleyes: There’s some fools on this board that would start him no matter how bad he sucks. lol
I'm curious, KJJ, who are these "fools" you are talking about?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I listened to it too. There weren’t any “bad reviews” per se, just that he wasn’t as ready as the other two which is unsurprising since they’re 8-9 year veterans. It wasn’t like they said Trey was throwing picks left and right and looked lost out there. They also implied preseason games will be the determining factor and gave a lot of credit to Zimmer for disguising coverages.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I listened to it too. There weren’t any bad reviews per se, just that he wasn’t as ready as the other two which is unsurprising since they’re 8-9 year veterans. It wasn’t like they said Trey was throwing picks left and right and looked lost out there.
Lance has been getting bad reviews all through camp, which is why everyone is picking Cooper Rush as the backup. They didn’t detail it today. A few days ago, someone in the Cowboys media said Lance doesn’t even look like an NFL QB. All the Cowboys podcasts have had negative reviews on him. Nick Eatman reported during OTA’s that Lance didn’t look good and thought Cooper Rush would remain the backup. The big knock on him has been the high throws. Passes keep sailing on him. Just watching him throw the ball doesn’t look impressive. I really don’t know what the 49ers saw in him to give up so much to draft him.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Lance has been getting bad reviews, which is why everyone is picking Cooper Rush as the backup. They didn’t detail it today.
You should’ve stopped there because you brought up Talkin’ Cowboys today and that’s what I said. I didn’t talk about bad reviews from some other people.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You should’ve stopped there because you brought up Talkin’ Cowboys today and that’s what I said. I didn’t talk about bad reviews from some other people.
None of them on that podcast have been impressed with Trey Lance. They really didn’t need to expand on it today. They’ve been doing it the past couple of weeks. Their choice for backup QB points to how they feel about Lance. Even Cooper Rush has gotten some negative reviews this summer but everyone’s picking him to be the backup.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I listened to it too. There weren’t any “bad reviews” per se, just that he wasn’t as ready as the other two which is unsurprising since they’re 8-9 year veterans.
He’s never going to be ready despite the fact he’s competing against a career backup. Dak was a fourth round draft pick who played lights out as a rookie. Trey Lance has gotten more starting practice reps over his career than Cooper Rush. Lance was handed the starting job in 2022 and spent the entire offseason and training camp practicing as the starter. He’s been in the league since 2021 and has had 4 NFL starts. He’s been with the Cowboys a full year and he’s still not ready? Lol

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I listened to it too. There weren’t any “bad reviews” per se, just that he wasn’t as ready as the other two which is unsurprising since they’re 8-9 year veterans. It wasn’t like they said Trey was throwing picks left and right and looked lost out there. They also implied preseason games will be the determining factor and gave a lot of credit to Zimmer for disguising coverages.
I don't expect team employees to speak too negatively about one of Jerry's pet projects.

I zipped through that blue-white practice and thought Lance looked fairly awful. He holds the ball too long on almost every play, then runs around and tries to throw it to someone. That didn't even work every often in practice, but it definitely won't work in a real game with a defense going full speed at him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He throws a lot of TDs.
If so, why have there been so many negative reviews on him during training camp? I don’t listen to all the camp talk just some of it. I haven’t heard any mention of him throwing a bunch of TDs. I’ve heard a lot of talk about balls sailing on him.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don't expect team employees to speak too negatively about one of Jerry's pet projects.

I zipped through that blue-white practice and thought Lance looked fairly awful. He holds the ball too long on almost every play, then runs around and tries to throw it to someone. That didn't even work every often in practice, but it definitely won't work in a real game with a defense going full speed at him.
I didn’t want to say anything until I watched it. I didn’t see what you saw. Yes, there were plays where he held the ball and either ran out of the pocket to throw a pass on the run that was incomplete or just ran with it. There were some passes that were off target but there were a lot of completions too. I didn’t see any picks and saw a few TDs. Nothing stood out to me as great or poor.