**Official** 53 Man Roster Projection **merged**

Kaiser

Reaction score
$750K of Jasper Brinkley's $1M base salary is guaranteed.

That means the savings, if he is released, is $250K, before accounting for the contract that replaces him.

But his current contract is a sunk cost . Releasing him means you are paying a 1.375MM cap charge (this year) for a player that contributes nothing on the field, plus another 435K (minimum) charged against the cap for the new player to put you into the red on the transaction. IMO cutting the guy is an overreaction to a veteran's play in the preseason, especially when its a guy projected to be a backup.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have been watching different games than. Gardner has looked surprisingly good. Edwards has more potential, but Gardner is ready to go right now.
I watch each game multiple times.

Gardner just has not done much. Last week (Niners) he had 1 good pass rush and that was because the OT crossed his inside foot over his outside foot which is a big no-no. He made a few plays against the run in that game, but they were blocking him with a TE on those plays.

In both the Niners game and Vikings game Gardner has completely let the ball carry pass right by because he was confused by who had the ball. In the Vikings game it was because the QB kept the ball. Gardner was in perfect position to tackle the QB but pursued the RB instead.

Edwards has been good. He is quicker, stronger and faster than Gardner.
I think if they got over their weird obsession with Whitehead, Jenkins would have a shot at the 53. I just don't get what the see in Whitehead.

I would like to see them bring in Javier Arenas for a look. Good return guy and emergency DB.
I think they wanted Whitehead to win the returner position.

If they add a player from another team's cuts it will likely be a returner, IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But his current contract is a sunk cost . Releasing him means you are paying a 1.375MM cap charge (this year) for a player that contributes nothing on the field, plus another 435K (minimum) charged against the cap for the new player to put you into the red on the transaction. IMO cutting the guy is an overreaction to a veteran's play in the preseason, especially when its a guy projected to be a backup.

It will be surprising if they cut him. I guess it depends on the reason that his play has been flat.

If he has been lazy then I could see them cutting him. Marinelli can't tolerate laziness.

If it's for some other reason then they'll probably keep him.

People said that he was not on special teams against the Vikings but I'm certain that I saw him out there a couple of times and I was not really looking for him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd keep Smith over Wilber when McClain comes back. Wilber just seems so ineffectual when he is on the field.

I have not noticed any big problems with Wilber's play. He's not great but he generally seems to get the job done.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I have not noticed any big problems with Wilber's play. He's not great but he generally seems to get the job done.

He's been a little slow to diagnose. It's probably a symptom of being moved around a lot. He also use to be a high motor guy but I noticed several plays where his backside pursuit was close to non-existent. I still like him as a backup, change of pace kind of guy though.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I watch each game multiple times.

Gardner just has not done much. Last week (Niners) he had 1 good pass rush and that was because the OT crossed his inside foot over his outside foot which is a big no-no. He made a few plays against the run in that game, but they were blocking him with a TE on those plays.

In both the Niners game and Vikings game Gardner has completely let the ball carry pass right by because he was confused by who had the ball. In the Vikings game it was because the QB kept the ball. Gardner was in perfect position to tackle the QB but pursued the RB instead.

Edwards has been good. He is quicker, stronger and faster than Gardner.

I think they wanted Whitehead to win the returner position.

If they add a player from another team's cuts it will likely be a returner, IMO.

I've watched the first two games several times. Haven't had time to rewatch the Vikings yet.

I've noticed Gardner showing up very frequently as a dirty work kind of guy. He's has a clean-up sack as well as forcing the QB towards Gregory for one of his. He hold his ground very well against the run and diagnoses quickly.

For a guy who missed nearly two years of football, I would say his play has been particularly surprising.

As for Edwards, he's flashy but hasn't really made many more plays than Gardner and doesn't have the versatility or the motor. He has significantly more potential as a "rush man" but I would say he's behind Gardner as far as being a complete DL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been a little slow to diagnose. It's probably a symptom of being moved around a lot. He also use to be a high motor guy but I noticed several plays where his backside pursuit was close to non-existent. I still like him as a backup, change of pace kind of guy though.

He was a decent college player and became a pet cat for many people when he was drafted.

I was excited to see what he could do this preseason but he just has not done much.

He is about 12th on my DL depth chart with Obada as 13th.

windjc

Reaction score
He was a decent college player and became a pet cat for many people when he was drafted.

I was excited to see what he could do this preseason but he just has not done much.

People do realize that the Cowboys get a PS roster spot exemption to keep Obada, right? This guy is going to be around at least a couple of years developing. Given that he basically started playing football 3 weeks ago, he has done very well so far.

conner01

Reaction score
Are you sure that drops were Clutts? I saws 3 drops by the training camp RBs (Melena...).

Clutts had a couple of drops but at least one was a terrible pass
He's not a wr, you can't expect a guy with full pads to catch balls behind him

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Well, this wouldn't be the first time you and I have strongly disagreed. I have him as tenth. I've said all along him making the team would depend on the team carrying an extra DL for the first four games while Hardy is out.

I do have him ahead of Edwards though.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
People do realize that the Cowboys get a PS roster spot exemption to keep Obada, right? This guy is going to be around at least a couple of years developing. Given that he basically started playing football 3 weeks ago, he has done very well so far.

Although it's in the cba, it's been reported the nfl has turned down teams of getting that extra spot.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Post preseason game #3 roster projection

QB: Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden
-I really don't see any need to carry a third QB on the 53. Neither Vaughan or Showers will help us win a game and neither has much upside imo. Historically speaking mobile QBs tend to do better in preseason against 2nd/3rd stringers due to the lack of discipline younger inexperienced players usually have, so I am not surprised that Showers looks better than Vaughan, but imo he wasn't even that good. I think who ever the last guy to make the roster likely has more upside at their position than Showers does at his AND is more prepared to contribute now.
RB: Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar
-The only thing that is debatable is who starts. McFadden certainly looked better last night, but Randle has been the one on the field throughout training camp. Either way I think the amount of carries will be similar.
FB: Tyler Clutts
-I'd love a more physical FB, but to be honest, they just don't make em' like they use to...#MooseJohnston
WR: Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Devin Street, Lucky Whitehead
-I wasn't surprised to see Beasley return the first punt, since in essence this was a dress rehearsal and was not surprised to see him get good yardage one one, but I do not think that spells the end for Whitehead. It was a long shot for him to be the week 1 PR and would have been a near reckless decision to put him back there week 1 against the Giants in prime time. One fumble early on could put us in a hole that eventually costs us the game and could ruin him for the foreseeable future. The best plan by far was to have a sure handed guy back there with experience like Beasley or maybe even Wilcox and sprinkle in Dez situationally. Once Whitehead is earns a spot on the coverage team as a starter, then you can start mixing him in as well to build his confidence, but even Dwayne Harris did not return punts week 1 of his rookie season.
TE: Jason Witten, Gavin Escobar, James Hanna, Geoff Swaim
-I would still like to eventually move Hanna for a pick. Escobar looks like he will be a much bigger part of the offense this year and while Hanna is still the better blocker, Escobar does seem improved. I'd likely carry an extra d-linemen if I could move Hanna, however, depending on how special teams looks the first few weeks, we may be forced to keep him.
OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Darrion Weems, Laurence Gibson
-I really hope the plan is not to use Weems as the swing tackle, but we likely won't know till week 1. Ideally we will carry 7 linemen like we usually do, but there would be La'el Collins and Mackenzie Bernadeau, who both play interior positions. This would mean Zack Martin would move to tackle if either Smith or Free goes down and La'el would play at his spot. As far as Gibson goes, he would be one of the bottom of the roster guys I would keep over a third QB.
OG: Ron Leary, Zack Martin, La'el Collins
-Leary didn't play much this preseason, so I'm interested to see how much La'el Collins's presence pushed him. I do think it's just a matter of time before Collins beats him out, but Leary could still make himself quite a bit of money.
C: Travis Frederick, Mackenzie Bernadeau
-Hopefully one of the other centers can develop on the practice squad because this is likely Bernadeua's last season with us. He's a free agent and given the success of the o-line, he may get one last decent pay day or at least more than we want to pay a back up.

DE: Demarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Jeremy Mincey, Ryan Russell, Ben Gardner

-Not sure who wins the job between Edwards and Gardner, so I'll just guess Gardner. Either way I think the winner is released after Hardy is reinstated. And I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how good Gregory is now, considering he was a lock to go top 5/10 before the drug issues came to light, but I am. What I expected was a DE who had great athletic ability to get after the QB, who needed more moves and was likely a liability versus the run. What we got was a guy that is ready to not only contribute immediately, but is three down player on day 1.
DT: Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden, Jack Crawford, Davon Coleman, Ken Bishop
-Davon Coleman had a really good camp and preseason, but was it good enough to make McClain expendable? I hope so, but some how doubt it. Unlike Coleman, I don't think Bishop is as good as McClain now, so he'll need some help making the roster. He'll need the coaches to feel that Coleman is ready to take on the oft injured McClain's role.
LB: Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Andrew Gachkar, Jasper Brinkley, Kyle Wilbur, Keith Smith
-Due to the injuries to Rolondo McClain, Anthony Hitchens and the potential for injury in Sean Lee, I think we are better served going a bit deep at this position. I think Smith would be released when Rolondo is back, but to be honest, I would not be surprised to see any of our starting LBers on IR. I'd like to see Smith stick to the PS when McClain comes back, but I'm not sure.
CB: Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Byron Jones, Tyler Patmon, Corey White
-Despite the injury to Scandrick I still feel good about this position, but I have to admit I am a bit lost when it comes to expectations for Byron Jones. I guess it seems that barring an injury to Brandon Carr (who just came back from a broken hand) and Morris Claiborne (Mr. Glass) that Jones will be used primarily as a Nickle LB/Dime CB covering TEs, which is fine I guess, as long as Claiborne is up to starting. I do have confidence in the group as all have shown the ability to play well, with Patmon and White being very pleasant surprises, but their roles will be interesting to see.
S: JJ Wilcox, Barry Church, Danny McCray, Jeff Heath
-No point crying now, but I would have loved to see Byron Jones as the starting FS and Barry Church as the starting SS, but hopefully with an improved pass rush, Wilcox can make more plays. I do think Heath gets a bad rap based off his rookie season, and while I would not want him as a starter, I do think he's a good 3rd safety. McCray is here for special teams only, so hopefully one the full unit get a chance to play together, he shows why he was brought back.

K: Dan Bailey
P: Chris Jones
LS: LP LaDouceur

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Id say Gardner won't get cut when Hardy comes back, I think that'll be Bishop and if my claimed he would fill PS.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, this wouldn't be the first time you and I have strongly disagreed. I have him as tenth. I've said all along him making the team would depend on the team carrying an extra DL for the first four games while Hardy is out.

I do have him ahead of Edwards though.

This is from the Niners game:

Note: OT #64 is Justin Renfrow. His only NFL games appear to be from this preseason.

1:51 Rushes outside, no pressure.
1:26 Rushes upfield, run play to middle. Does not affect the play.
1:12 No pressure, short pass.
1:05 No pressure, QB rolls left.
1:00 Beats block by TE to tackle RB for loss.
0:55 Beats OT #64 for sack. OT does a terrible job and crosses inside foot over his outside foot which makes it easy for Gardner to beat him inside.

14:56 Not blocked. QB throws over him.
14:23 Reach block by TE on run to the other side.
13:50 Easily blocked by #77

11:19 Decent push against #64 to flow down the line but missed the tackle.
10:50 Unblocked on run to the other side.
10:17 Unblocked on run to the other side.
9:41 Decent push against TE to get down the line but missed the tackle.
9:09 Blocked by TE on run to the other side.

3:39 Blocked out of the play on run to his side for 7 yards.
3:09 Unblocked on run to the other side.
2:35 Beats block by TE to chase QB that is rolling out. Pass completed.
1:57 Unblocked on run to the other side.
1:38 Beats block by TE to get down the line and made the tackle for a loss.
1:15 Pinned inside on run to the outside (his side).
0:42 Unblocked on middle run. Does nothing.

7:44 QB fakes handoff and keeps. Runs right past Gardner. Gardner tackles the RB who does not have the ball.
7:14 Does not get pressure on long pass attempt.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I saw him on some of the ST units.
He looked lost on ST. I can't remember the player's name but we signed a mid level LB before, several years ago in free agency, and cut him before the season. I don't think the amount of money is a huge deterrent.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Most important positions:

QB: Romo
T: Smith, Free
C: Fred
MLB and WLB: Lee, Hitchen
DE: Lawrence, Mincey
CB: Jones, Carr
FS: Wilcox
3Tech: TCrawford