Reaction score
I pretty much agree. Guys I'd like to see on the PS:
Gus Johnson
David Potter
Laurence Gibson
Efe Obada
Nzeocha
Joel Ross

Nz is going to start on NFI. He'll be able to practice some under that scenario with us either activating him midseason or redshirting him

AbeBeta

Reaction score
My understanding (which could be wrong obviously) is that the 2MM cap charge would hit this season, plus you have the cap hit of the player replacing him even if its the minimum for a guy like Keith Smith. Its not the end of the world but its a significant hit, and most teams usually give the benefit of the doubt to a player that has already played 79 games in the NFL.

Yeah but him not being on the top ST units last night along with being way down the depth chart at MLB doesn't bode well

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QBs (2) Romo, Weeden
I can't see any reasons to carry either Vaughan or Showers on the 53 at this point.

RBs (4) McFadden, Randle, Dunbar, Clutts
After Randle looked like the better back last week, it was McFadden's turn to show of his burst and speed.

WRs (5) Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Street, Whitehead
Improvements made by Williams and Beasley this offseason should make the passing game more potent. I still believe Whitehead makes the team at this point, but isn't going to be trusted with return duties yet.

TEs (4) Witten, Escobar, Hanna, Swaim
This position benefits from Dallas carrying fewer QBs, although none of the tight ends did much in this game.

OL (9) Smith, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Free, Weems, Bernadeau, Collins, Gibson
I still could see Gibson going on the practice squad, but his improvement in practice and the fact that the team doesn't carry just eight OL that often made me keep him.

DL (11) (Hardy), Mincey, T. Crawford, Hayden, Lawrence, Gregory, T. McClain, J. Crawford, Coleman, Russell, Gardner, Bishop
I'm still going long here although I do think we could stop at 10 with the last spot coming down to T. McClain and Bishop, and go longer at LB.

LBs (6) (R. McClain), Lee, Hitchens, Gachkar, Wilber, Wilson and Smith
Gachkar played very well at the Mike tonight, and Wilber being tried there last week seems to mean Brinkley won't be kept. Smith is a better special teams choice.

DBs (9) Carr, Claiborne, Church, Wilcox, Jones, White, Patmon, Heath, McCray
Claiborne looked like he belonged tonight while Jones looked like he needs a little more seasoning in coverage.

STs (3) Bailey, Ladouceur, Jones
Good to see Jones refind his form from a few seasons ago. It seemed like he got messed up when we brought Bissacia in, but he did some things tonight that reminded me why we were willing to move on from McBriar.

Edwards has been significantly better than Gardner in the games.

They've had the rookie Jones play outside CB, slot CB, Safety and Nickel LB as well as special teams. They've never even tried to have Claiborne play the slot because they didn't want to overload him mentally.

It the just let Jones focus on outside CB, he would not look lost.d

Brinkley finally showed up. He was much better than in other games. They've already guaranteed his salary so it will be surprising if he is cut. I do agree that Keith Smith should be kept. He is a very good ST player. I would keep Smith as an ST player over McCray.

I'm curious about the WR Jenkins. He was good last week and has had multiple good practices. The backup QBs didn't really give much chance for evaluating the receivers. I don't think Jenkins is eligible for the practice squad.

If they sign a player after cut from another team I could see it being a punt returner.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just got back from the game and Clutts is AWFUL! Cannot catch a cold. Had 2 big gains for not because of drops. Dunbar actually made a tackle on ST'S which was nice to see.

Are you sure that drops were Clutts? I saws 3 drops by the training camp RBs (Melena...).

silver

Reaction score
Don't see Bishop making it. Brinkley stays as insurance. They gave rookie safety #41 Tim Scott lot of playing time on defense and ST yesterday. He might be the wildcard instead on McCray.
My PS would be:

Showers
Gus Johnson
Wetzel
Bishop
Steeples
McDermott
Obada

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
It really amazing that players as terrible as Jeff Heath and Danny McCray have gotten this many opportunities. Are the Cowboys really this bad at scouting defensive backs? It's not even like Church and Wilcox are good players.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
Why Street?

Because you almost can't judge what he's done in the games. The backup QBs on this team are so bad that almost all of the depth skill players are difficult to evaluate. You have go on what the practices look like. From all indications, Street is worth rostering.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
QBs (2) Romo, Weeden
I can't see any reasons to carry either Vaughan or Showers on the 53 at this point.

RBs (4) McFadden, Randle, Dunbar, Clutts
After Randle looked like the better back last week, it was McFadden's turn to show of his burst and speed.

WRs (5) Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Street, Whitehead
Improvements made by Williams and Beasley this offseason should make the passing game more potent. I still believe Whitehead makes the team at this point, but isn't going to be trusted with return duties yet.

TEs (4) Witten, Escobar, Hanna, Swaim
This position benefits from Dallas carrying fewer QBs, although none of the tight ends did much in this game.

OL (9) Smith, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Free, Weems, Bernadeau, Collins, Gibson
I still could see Gibson going on the practice squad, but his improvement in practice and the fact that the team doesn't carry just eight OL that often made me keep him.

DL (11) (Hardy), Mincey, T. Crawford, Hayden, Lawrence, Gregory, T. McClain, J. Crawford, Coleman, Russell, Gardner, Bishop
I'm still going long here although I do think we could stop at 10 with the last spot coming down to T. McClain and Bishop, and go longer at LB.

LBs (6) (R. McClain), Lee, Hitchens, Gachkar, Wilber, Wilson and Smith
Gachkar played very well at the Mike tonight, and Wilber being tried there last week seems to mean Brinkley won't be kept. Smith is a better special teams choice.

DBs (9) Carr, Claiborne, Church, Wilcox, Jones, White, Patmon, Heath, McCray
Claiborne looked like he belonged tonight while Jones looked like he needs a little more seasoning in coverage.

STs (3) Bailey, Ladouceur, Jones
Good to see Jones refind his form from a few seasons ago. It seemed like he got messed up when we brought Bissacia in, but he did some things tonight that reminded me why we were willing to move on from McBriar.

Swap out Swaim with OT Green and we think alike.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It really amazing that players as terrible as Jeff Heath and Danny McCray have gotten this many opportunities. Are the Cowboys really this bad at scouting defensive backs? It's not even like Church and Wilcox are good players.

Church is here solely to be the ST glue guy. He is an emergency safety. Heath on the other hand, has flashed ability at times but then again, if you cant beat out Wilcox, there's not much of a future at starter there.

As for Church, he is exactly what he is supposed to be and does a great job of it. I have no complaints about him.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Edwards has been significantly better than Gardner in the games.

We have been watching different games than. Gardner has looked surprisingly good. Edwards has more potential, but Gardner is ready to go right now.

It the just let Jones focus on outside CB, he would not look lost.

I've been saying this and getting raked over the coals for it.

I'm curious about the WR Jenkins. He was good last week and has had multiple good practices. The backup QBs didn't really give much chance for evaluating the receivers. I don't think Jenkins is eligible for the practice squad.

I think if they got over their weird obsession with Whitehead, Jenkins would have a shot at the 53. I just don't get what the see in Whitehead.

If they sign a player after cut from another team I could see it being a punt returner.

I would like to see them bring in Javier Arenas for a look. Good return guy and emergency DB.

Bluefin

Reaction score
My understanding (which could be wrong obviously) is that the 2MM cap charge would hit this season, plus you have the cap hit of the player replacing him even if its the minimum for a guy like Keith Smith. Its not the end of the world but its a significant hit, and most teams usually give the benefit of the doubt to a player that has already played 79 games in the NFL.

Jasper Brinkley has a $1.625M cap hit this season, $.625K is signing bonus proration and the $1M is base salary, $.750K of which is guaranteed.

That leaves $.250K if Brink is released, which will not cover the cost of the player taking his roster spot.

There would also be $.625K in dead money in 2016 from the signing bonus, but the team would save $2.25M before adding a new contract to replace Brinkley.

But money is a non-issue in the matter, IMO.

Brinkley doesn't make enough to be concerned about.

Has he done enough to warrant a roster spot?

I say no.

Aven8

Reaction score
Are you sure that drops were Clutts? I saws 3 drops by the training camp RBs (Melena...).

After re watching from home today, he did have several, but some of them were behind him thanks to awful QB play.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Clutts isn't going anywhere. JG just has to have his fullback because they are a different type of blocker than tight ends. Clutts will continue playing a few plays per game and on special teams until we find a better fullback option.

Tyler Clutts is saved by his versatility, playing at his listed position, on special teams and being capable of handling RB duties in an emergency.

For a player that supposedly loves to hit his teammates in practice, Clutts plays with no power or physicality in games.

Nate Newton said on an episode of Talkin' Cowboys a week or so ago that he's never seen Clutts go in the hole and root out a LB.

I doubt that will ever happen, it just isn't in Clutts.

In the finale against Washington last year, all Clutts had to do was block a CB on an off tackle run to the left.

Make that block and Joseph Randle is looking at an 80 yard TD scamper.

Clutts failed miserably.

There will be a nice crop of FBs in the draft next year, hopefully, we get one.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I'd keep Smith over Wilber when McClain comes back. Wilber just seems so ineffectual when he is on the field.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Jasper Brinkley has a $1.625M cap hit this season, $.625K is signing bonus proration and the $1M is base salary, $.750K of which is guaranteed.

That leaves $.250K if Brink is released, which will not cover the cost of the player taking his roster spot.

I don't follow the 250K number. If we release Brinkley, his 625K signing bonus counts against the cap, as does the 750K guaranteed portion of his salary. We would take a hit of 1.375MM this season and 625K next season, plus the cost of the replacement player.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I don't follow the 250K number. If we release Brinkley, his 625K signing bonus counts against the cap, as does the 750K guaranteed portion of his salary. We would take a hit of 1.375MM this season and 625K next season, plus the cost of the replacement player.

$750K of Jasper Brinkley's $1M base salary is guaranteed.

That means the savings, if he is released, is $250K, before accounting for the contract that replaces him.

The rookie minimum is $435K, so the team would be looking at a net loss of $135K in cap space (plus any minimal signing bonus that might be involved with the new player).

So we'd be looking at a small loss in cap space, but it's nothing to get in a fiscal twist over.

It should simply come down to whether or not Jasper Brinkley is worth keeping on the roster.

There's one more game to go, but my answer is no right now.