**Official** 53 Man Roster Projection **merged**

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Seems reasonable. I don't think we carry Gibson on the 53. I think if we go for 9 OLine that we probably end up picking up someone else's cut. Just don't think Gibson is someone that we would feel comfortable playing any snaps this year. I also suspect that we find one more young CB in the cuts which will probably be that 10 DLine spot.

He won't dress for any games, so it's essentially a developmental spot. The only reason I keep him is to prevent anyone else from possibly picking him up ... and I think he only reserves the spot for Green when he comes off PUP.

I don't think we need to get an extra corner with the versatility of White and Jones. Now, Jones showed he's still got a lot to learn, but all accounts are that he's been good in camp. There could be concerns over depth for the slot position, though.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Why Street?

He seemed to have stepped up his play some before his latest setback and I don't think Dallas is through seeing what his ceiling is yet.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Can't believe McCray is going to make this roster. Wilber either. But they probably are

gimmesix

Reaction score
Can't believe McCray is going to make this roster. Wilber either. But they probably are

Not only that, expect Wilber to be your starting SLB until McClain gets back ... although after Gachkar's performance tonight, I would probably consider putting him at MLB and Hitchens at SLB. I want to see more, though, before any decision is made there.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Great post but I'm not convinced (yet) that Brinkley gets cut. He got a signing bonus of 1.25MM and another 2MM of his contract guaranteed. At that price I think they would keep him around.

Other than that I think its spot on. I'm holding out hope for Showers as a ST/Slash type, just for giggles. Also my sleeper pick is Tim Scott on the roster over McCray, but I wouldn't put money on it happening.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Prepare yourselves for a 3rd QB :(

I don't see it. I think the Cowboys were prepared to go without one last year, but felt Vaughan played well enough to hold on to him and see what he had. This preseason, that hasn't been much.

Zordon

Reaction score
He seemed to have stepped up his play some before his latest setback and I don't think Dallas is through seeing what his ceiling is yet.

did he get hurt? i thought he was just m.i.a. but if he's hurt that's an explanation.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't see it. I think the Cowboys were prepared to go without one last year, but felt Vaughan played well enough to hold on to him and see what he had. This preseason, that hasn't been much.

Depends on how dependable they think Weeden is. If someone like Austin Davis gets released, I would bank on it. Not saying it will be Vaughn or Showers either.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Great post but I'm not convinced (yet) that Brinkley gets cut. He got a signing bonus of 1.25MM and another 2MM of his contract guaranteed. At that price I think they would keep him around.

Other than that I think its spot on. I'm holding out hope for Showers as a ST/Slash type, just for giggles. Also my sleeper pick is Tim Scott on the roster over McCray, but I wouldn't put money on it happening.

I think Brinkley's total guarantee is $2 million, so we'd take a $1 million hit each of the next two years, which would actually save us $600,000 this year. I don't think he's played well enough to be worth that extra money.

Scott might have an outside chance since McCray adds nothing on defense, but I still think we'll carry McCray just for special teams purposes. Considering how bad our special teams have been, we can't afford to cut anyone there who we think can help.

Aven8

Reaction score
Just got back from the game and Clutts is AWFUL! Cannot catch a cold. Had 2 big gains for not because of drops. Dunbar actually made a tackle on ST'S which was nice to see.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I don't think McCray or T. McClain make the team right now. In their place, I think the team picks up someone from another teams' cuts.

gimmesix

Reaction score
did he get hurt? i thought he was just m.i.a. but if he's hurt that's an explanation.

He tweaked an ankle injury in practice that he'd been fighting, so I think Dallas held him out. A.J. Jenkins ran with the starters in his place.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Depends on how dependable they think Weeden is. If someone like Austin Davis gets released, I would bank on it. Not saying it will be Vaughn or Showers either.

If we don't like Weeden enough to just roll with him as the backup, then I see us bringing in a vet to replace him, not adding a third QB just in case. I don't think the third spot is seen as an insurance policy, but as a place to develop a player if Dallas has one who shows he's worth keeping on the 53 to develop, which it doesn't right now.

If we want Davis, it will be because we don't want Weeden.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just got back from the game and Clutts is AWFUL! Cannot catch a cold. Had 2 big gains for not because of drops. Dunbar actually made a tackle on ST'S which was nice to see.

Clutts isn't going anywhere. JG just has to have his fullback because they are a different type of blocker than tight ends. Clutts will continue playing a few plays per game and on special teams until we find a better fullback option.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't think McCray or T. McClain make the team right now. In their place, I think the team picks up someone from another teams' cuts.

I believe Bissacia wins the argument that he needs McCray on special teams. I do agree that McClain is on the bubble, but he showed some ability to generate penetration last year when he was in the game, so I don't know if his injury setback this year has knocked him out of the picture.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think Brinkley's total guarantee is $2 million, so we'd take a $1 million hit each of the next two years, which would actually save us $600,000 this year. I don't think he's played well enough to be worth that extra money.

My understanding (which could be wrong obviously) is that the 2MM cap charge would hit this season, plus you have the cap hit of the player replacing him even if its the minimum for a guy like Keith Smith. Its not the end of the world but its a significant hit, and most teams usually give the benefit of the doubt to a player that has already played 79 games in the NFL.