*Official* Mario To Houston A "done Deal"...*6-yrs, 54m 26.5 guaranteed*

Little Jr

Reaction score
This will be a PR nightmare in Houston. Not only are you passing on the hometown boy VY, your passing on the #1 player in the draft. I guess I want be listening to any sports radio for about 3 months. Thats not true. I'll listen just to here them cry. This is going to be great.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
maxsports said:
This is a mistake!! The Texans are taking the place of the old Bengals. They have no idea what they are doing!! They have no offense and a quarterback that gets killed every week.
THERE IS ONLY 1 REAL TEAM IN TEXAS!!

Last I looked more teams with great defenses have won the Superbowl than teams with great offenses.

Heck what do I know yes you have to have a good offense but a great defense can carry a team a long ways ask the bears fans

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
If they did, indeed, sign Mario, I like it. They have a solid RB in Davis and need DL help. Great pickup for the other Texas team, IMHO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Texans | Contract update: M. Williams
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:53:39 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the contract signed by North Carolina State DE Mario Williams with the Houston Texans is a six-year, $54 million deal. Of the $54 million, Williams is guaranteed $26.5 million.

Texans | More on M. Williams' signing
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:30:55 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have signed North Carolina State DE Mario Williams to an undisclosed contract, meaning he'll be the first player selected in the 2006 NFL Draft. By signing Williams to a contract that will guarantee him almost $22 million this year, the Texans turned their back on USC RB Reggie Bush. Although the Texans said the controversy involving Bush and his parents' living arrangements in San Diego had nothing to do with their decision, they intensified negotiations with Ben Dogra Thursday, April 27, and worked all day Friday, April 28, to complete the deal.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well Reggie was looking for a Max deal (60 mil. or so). I wonder if he gets drafted 2nd, is it possible that he could get paid more than the 1st pick? And if so, what happens to how picks are paid? Could this turn the whole concept the teams have on the draft pay scale??

silver

Reaction score
maxsports said:
This is a mistake!! The Texans are taking the place of the old Bengals. They have no idea what they are doing!! They have no offense and a quarterback that gets killed every week.
THERE IS ONLY 1 REAL TEAM IN TEXAS!!
Agree on all counts. they are clueless. I feel sorry for the poor people of Houston.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i'm guessing that Texans fans are pissed as hell, LOL. Not getting either Young or Bush. As for the Saints I think it would be pretty stupid for them to take Bush when they already have a great RB in McCallister and they suck in almost every other position

neosapien23

Reaction score
I don't think Reggie Bush is worth all that money. He doesn't have the size to be a full time starter. There is a reason he split time with Lendale White. If I was picking in the top four, I would value these players above Bush:
M. Williams
D. Ferguson
V. Young
M. Leinart
Each player was dominant and each plays a position that warrants the number one pick. If a running back were to go that high, he would have to be an very down back. Someone like a Bo Jackson or a Ladanian Tomlinson.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
The Texans are Crazy.

Willams is obviously a Great player but if you can get a RB like Bush to help Carr out you do it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't see how the entire draft blew up....by the time you get to the 5th pick, the same guys will still be gone, just in a slightly different order and to different teams.

It's not like teams are going to sell their lives to trade up for Bush at #2 when they wouldn't have done the same thing to move up for Bush at #1....it's only 1 slot.

Bush and Williams were supposed to go before the QBs, and they probably still will.

1. Williams
2. Ferguson
3. Young
4. Bush
5. Hawke....all's back to normal, but I think GB could surprise everyone and take Leinart...how sold are they on Aaron Rogers? He was selected way down in the first round last year, so it's not like they have huge money invested in him, and they could always trade him in time like we did with Steve Walsh.

Okay, I'm talking out the butt...I should have stopped after #4 :)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't think Reggie Bush is worth all that money. He doesn't have the size to be a full time starter. There is a reason he split time with Lendale White. If I was picking in the top four, I would value these players above Bush:
M. Williams
D. Ferguson
V. Young
M. Leinart
Each player was dominant and each plays a position that warrants the number one pick. If a running back were to go that high, he would have to be an very down back. Someone like a Bo Jackson or a Ladanian Tomlinson.
Please...he's bigger than many full time backs in the NFL....he's an even faster, smoother Marshall Faulk.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
the more I think about it the more I guess it makes sense as the Texans do have a good RB in Davis and they really need D help and Williams will help a lot if he can live up to that Peppers hype and possibly Reggie White. I guess its not that much of a shock but Houston people will probably not be happy

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well, we know the fans in Houston are just plain pissed, but really this is a good move for the team itself.

The most interesting thing now is what happens at #2, cause it does make a difference between trading up to #2 than #1 cause of the point system.

It takes less points to trade up and get Bush now. The Saints will get several calls, and the question is can they make a deal that will help them alot. Cause the Saints should be able to come away with alot more than the value of the #2 pick.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
M. Williams
D. Ferguson
V. Young
M. Leinart

Yeah, the reason is that White's also a first round talent. Just because he split time with a bruising back doesn't mean he's not a full time starter. I would consider Warrick Dunn a full time starter, but he splits time with TJ Duckett.

And I find it mildly ironic that Bush "doesn't have the size to be a full time starter," yet you reference LT, who is actually shorter. LT = 5'10" 220, Bush = 6' 200. And Bush will put on muscle weight under an NFL training program.

neosapien23

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Please...he's bigger than many full time backs in the NFL....he's an even faster, smoother Marshall Faulk.

Bigger?? Name some full time starting RBs he is bigger than. He is definitely comparable to Marshall Faulk and would have to be used the same way. He could not handle toting the rock like an Emmit Smith. Why would you pay him more money than the top running backs in the NFL like Tomlinson, Alexander, Portis, etc...? That is way too much money for a running back that will not be an everydown back.

neosapien23

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Yeah, the reason is that White's also a first round talent. Just because he split time with a bruising back doesn't mean he's not a full time starter. I would consider Warrick Dunn a full time starter, but he splits time with TJ Duckett.

And I find it mildly ironic that Bush "doesn't have the size to be a full time starter," yet you reference LT, who is actually shorter. LT = 5'10" 220, Bush = 6' 200. And Bush will put on muscle weight under an NFL training program.

Yeah put LT is shorter and more compact. He came into the league at 220. He is probably even bigger right now.