Official San Antonio Spurs Thread

MC KAos

Reaction score
WOO HOO!!! pop is listening to me!! give parker like a month off if he needs it, we need him healthy come playoff time! i think now we really need to sign stoudamire! and i guess this means ian plays today?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3221348

Bone spur in heel puts Spurs guard Parker on shelf

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 29, 2008, 10:09 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

SEATTLE -- The Spurs' Big Three is down a man yet again.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich has decided to sit Tony Parker indefinitely, against the point guard's wishes, because of a bone spur in the star's left heel.

Tony Parker

Parker

"He was told he was going to get better, but he's gotten worse," Popovich said. "I don't know how long it's going to be, but he's going to sit.

"He doesn't like it, but this is the way it's going to be."

Popovich made his decision about an hour before Tuesday night's game at Seattle, surprising Parker, who has been playing through pain for six weeks, and Jacques Vaughn. Popovich informed Vaughn that he was starting for the fifth time this season, just as the 11th-year veteran was coming back into the locker room.

Vaughn stood in the doorway of the locker room with a stunned look on his face and finally said, "Uh ... OK."

The Spurs could be looking for help at point guard. Damon Stoudamire, who received a buyout from the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday, was expected to talk to Popovich by telephone on Tuesday, a source told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan. The veteran was also planning to speak to Suns coach Mike D'Antoni. He is expected to decide where he will play the rest of the season by Wednesday.

It's not clear if talks with Stoudamire had anything to do with the Spurs sitting Parker.

Popovich said Parker's long-term health is more important than the Spurs' need to reverse their recent, middling ways while on a a nine-game road trip to both coasts -- San Antonio's annual trek while the city's rodeo and stock show takes over its home arena. The defending NBA champions entered Tuesday just 11-12 since starting 17-3.

Their frustration after a second consecutive defeat Monday night at Utah led All-Star Tim Duncan to say his team sorely needed to win Tuesday against the woeful SuperSonics, who were buried under a team-record 14-game losing streak.

Parker, who is averaging 19.2 points and 6.1 assists per game this season, missed four games from Dec. 13-19 for what the Spurs said were sprained left ankles. But it's the nagging bone spur that was causing the ankle pain, and now his coach has decided only rest will ultimately cure Parker and put the champs into preferred, optimal condition entering the playoffs in April.

San Antonio entered Tuesday 1-3 without Parker starting. The Spurs were 7-6 from Dec. 5 through Jan. 4, when Parker and fellow stars Duncan and Manu Ginobili appeared together for just 2 minutes of one game because of injuries.

"You have to have health to win it," Popovich said of the NBA title, which he has won four times in 11 seasons leading San Antonio. "If you don't have all your horses come playoff time, you'll be planning your vacation [early]."

Vaughn normally would be backed up at point guard now by Brent Barry, but Barry is expected to miss at least three more weeks with a sprained right calf. Sharpshooter Ginobili will likely get the backup point guard duties, as he did some in the preseason, while Parker is out.

Ginobili played his first game Monday without the protective device he'd been wearing this month over his sprained left index finger.

"I think Manu's pretty healthy right now," Popovich said.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Barf. Horrible loss tonight.

I didn't get to watch the game... just followed it on ESPN game cast, but what an inexcusable loss.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Danny White;1932514 said:

I didn't get to watch the game... just followed it on ESPN game cast, but what an inexcusable loss.

trust me, your better off not having seen that mess. if you would have seen it you would be on your way to phoenix to lock oberto away somewhere so he doesnt play another game this year, or ever, for the spurs

Route 66

Reaction score
Well, being a Suns fan, I have to say I loathe the Spurs more than my dislike of the Commanders in football. I hope we take an utter pounding to you guys on Thursday. :)

Unfortunately I'll hear after we win that it was due to Tony being out. :mad:

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;1932514 said:

At 14 losses in a row and playing at home, Seattle was due. Those are the teams I hate playing.

Also, Kevin Durant is on my fantasy team, so it was nice to see him put solid numbers up all across the board. :D

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Biggems;1932387 said:
or worse........a Clippers fan

Eh, that's debatable. Maybe if you're considering longsuffering fans, but the Clippers came very close to making the WCF a few years ago (so they've had some recent success). The Grizzlies have had only a couple of winning seasons and were swept every time they made the playoffs. After Gasol got hurt a few summers ago and they dumped some of their players, they haven't been the same.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1932798 said:
Eh, that's debatable. Maybe if you're considering longsuffering fans, but the Clippers came very close to making the WCF a few years ago (so they've had some recent success). The Grizzlies have had only a couple of winning seasons and were swept every time they made the playoffs. After Gasol got hurt a few summers ago and they dumped some of their players, they haven't been the same.

Hiring the Czar was one of the worst things the Grizz have ever done.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1932810 said:
Hiring the Czar was one of the worst things the Grizz have ever done.

Ah - how could I have forgotten that one. :eek::

MC KAos

Reaction score
Rowdy;1932634 said:
Well, being a Suns fan, I have to say I loathe the Spurs more than my dislike of the Commanders in football. I hope we take an utter pounding to you guys on Thursday. :)

Unfortunately I'll hear after we win that it was due to Tony being out. :mad:

i hope that makes you feel better about getting powned in the playoffs repeatedly, where it really matters

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Spurs better pick it up and start doing that rodeo thing. Today a 6 seed and only 2 games away from a 9 seed.... Losing record on road and 18-13 in West.

Something is not right here, team aging and rest of West catching up FAST

Lets see how long Parker really sits.....

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
the frustrating thing is that they are in almost every one of these games that they are losing. they just keep finding ways to lose all these games. they are the anti-clutch at the moment.

they miss clutch shots, make bad turnovers in clutchtime, miss out on clutch rebounds....etc.

honestly, i want to see more bonner, ian, and richardson....

oh well now it is on to PHX......wonder if Sarver will display his Chicken Dance, now that Tony isnt playing. I want to end this 3 game losing streak.....and beat PHX in the process....

Route 66

Reaction score
MC KAos;1933509 said:
i hope that makes you feel better about getting powned in the playoffs repeatedly, where it really matters

Oh I dont mind losing and I sure as heck dont mind losing to a better team. I once rooted for the Spurs a long time ago because there was nothing to dislike about them. David Robinson was great and Tim Duncan was a low key scoring machine. Since you got Horry and Bowen on that team-that team is nothing but punks and call it sour grapes or whatever. There were more cheapshots than I can count and if that means "powned" to you (called pwned geez) then you frankly have no idea what real basketball is.

I dont care if we beat you guys or lost to you guys, its how the Spurs play ball. For the most part, a lot of players play good and gritty ball. They used to make very few mistakes and were an excellent team. I dont condone the crap they pulled last year and those who deny that are honestly idiots.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rowdy;1933871 said:
Oh I dont mind losing and I sure as heck dont mind losing to a better team. I once rooted for the Spurs a long time ago because there was nothing to dislike about them. David Robinson was great and Tim Duncan was a low key scoring machine. Since you got Horry and Bowen on that team-that team is nothing but punks and call it sour grapes or whatever. There were more cheapshots than I can count and if that means "powned" to you (called pwned geez) then you frankly have no idea what real basketball is.

I dont care if we beat you guys or lost to you guys, its how the Spurs play ball. For the most part, a lot of players play good and gritty ball. They used to make very few mistakes and were an excellent team. I dont condone the crap they pulled last year and those who deny that are honestly idiots.

raja bell is one of the dirtiest players in the NBA and makes Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry look like saints. Raja was a filthy player in Dallas and he simply carried it to PHX. When Raja is getting owned, he gets dirty and takes cheap shots. Kobe has never said a bad word about Bruce, but he has called out Bell on his dirty tactics. The you have Einstein Stupidmire who is a cry baby, sissified punk. I can't believe how he lied to national media with a straight face about going to check on Nash...what a putz....and for such a physical specimen, he sure as hell is a piss poor defensive player. I also love how the 2 times that Nash actually tried to play defense, he got hurt....both of them his fault. He should have never crowded Parker on the play where his nose was busted open, and he should have never gotten that close to Bruce. If anyone other than Nash is guarding Bruce, that step through doesn't even come close to a nut shot.....Your coach whines more than roomfull of hungry infants.

I have absolutely no respect for the Suns or their fans. They are the biggest whiners in the entire NBA. They act like they have the best team in the league, and the only reason they lose is because the other team was lucky or the refs beat them. Suns fans are still crying over last year's playoff series. The desert has never been so fertile, what with all those tears.

Dallas may be the team I hate the most, but at least I can respect Avery and Howard.......I have no respect for anyone on the Suns Roster, D'Antoni, or Sarver....They are like cockroaches scouring the NBA for crumbs....and the Spurs are RAID....and come playoff time

We are gonna bury those cock-a-roaches

Route 66

Reaction score
Biggems;1933878 said:
raja bell is one of the dirtiest players in the NBA and makes Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry look like saints. Raja was a filthy player in Dallas and he simply carried it to PHX. When Raja is getting owned, he gets dirty and takes cheap shots. Kobe has never said a bad word about Bruce, but he has called out Bell on his dirty tactics. The you have Einstein Stupidmire who is a cry baby, sissified punk. I can't believe how he lied to national media with a straight face about going to check on Nash...what a putz....and for such a physical specimen, he sure as hell is a piss poor defensive player. I also love how the 2 times that Nash actually tried to play defense, he got hurt....both of them his fault. He should have never crowded Parker on the play where his nose was busted open, and he should have never gotten that close to Bruce. If anyone other than Nash is guarding Bruce, that step through doesn't even come close to a nut shot.....Your coach whines more than roomfull of hungry infants.

I have absolutely no respect for the Suns or their fans. They are the biggest whiners in the entire NBA. They act like they have the best team in the league, and the only reason they lose is because the other team was lucky or the refs beat them. Suns fans are still crying over last year's playoff series. The desert has never been so fertile, what with all those tears.

Dallas may be the team I hate the most, but at least I can respect Avery and Howard.......I have no respect for anyone on the Suns Roster, D'Antoni, or Sarver....They are like cockroaches scouring the NBA for crumbs....and the Spurs are RAID....and come playoff time

We are gonna bury those cock-a-roaches

To tell you the truth, after reading the first few lines I have no reason to read the rest of your bulls***. I always hear the same crap. Suns are whiners. The last I checked no Sun bodychecked your guard into the bench. The last time I checked no Sun kneed your player in the groin on purpose or stepped on anyone's heel. Im pretty sure that it isn't just the Suns stating this. If you would like, I can provide, at least fifteen other franchises who state the same thing about this bullcrap. Bowen has youtube videos showing all of his wonderful antics. Are you sure you arent an Eagles fan?

Route 66

Reaction score
BTW-Spurs will lose tonight and I will be here to dish it out and see if you can take it. I expect to already hear whining that the Spurs lost because Tony was out. Don't disappoint me. Be a hypocrite-I expect nothing less.

See you later tonite! ;)

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rowdy;1933970 said:
BTW-Spurs will lose tonight and I will be here to dish it out and see if you can take it. I expect to already hear whining that the Spurs lost because Tony was out. Don't disappoint me. Be a hypocrite-I expect nothing less.

See you later tonite! ;)

no excuses....if we lose, we lose.......the only excuse I use for the Spurs is that they played with their heads up their darkside.....even with TP in there, they were playing poorly, not closing out games.