Official San Antonio Spurs Thread

MC KAos

Reaction score
Nors;1976170 said:
Nice win for Spurs tonight

Add New Orleans, Lakers, Celtics to your list of teams to worry about. And Utah is going to punk someone in West.....

id rather play new orleans, the lakers, the jazz, and then the celtics than play the mavs and the pistons, easy choice

thekavorka

Reaction score
man, i REALLY want to know avery's thought process.

you trade away half the team for a guy who's on the bench. BRILLIANT

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
zrinkill;1976183 said:
:rolleyes:

Always excuses

No kidding... Dirk was flopping like a fish out there and was making to the line every time someone breathed on him. He tripped over his own feet at the end of the first half and Bruce got called for the foul.

thekavorka

Reaction score
Danny White;1976250 said:
No kidding... Dirk was flopping like a fish out there and was making to the line every time someone breathed on him. He tripped over his own feet at the end of the first half and Bruce got called for the foul.

1. it was at the end of the 3rd quarter
2. it was udoka
3. he tripped over udoka's left foot (even doug collins said that)
4. i think it should be a no-call if it is unintentional

5. pay no attention to rampage

sharph20

Reaction score
Danny White;1976250 said:

Exactly! Dirk wasn't even trying to be discreet about it either. I don't ever want to hear mavs fans b***** that Manu is a flopper.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
thekavorka;1976253 said:
1. it was at the end of the 3rd quarter
2. it was udoka
3. he tripped over udoka's left foot (even doug collins said that)
4. i think it should be a no-call if it is unintentional

5. pay no attention to rampage

I just re-watched it, and you are correct on all counts. :bow:

MC KAos

Reaction score
Rampage;1976173 said:
great no call to help the spurs hang on tonight.

Rampage;1976247 said:
bowen had a handful of terry's jersey and ripped it out of his shorts

ya, of course the refs were for the spurs, thats why dirk alone shot more free throws than the spurs did as a team! i dont know why your trying to take away from a great game by coming up with this bs

MC KAos

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3270024

Report: Barry opts to return to Spurs, eschews Suns

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 29, 2008, 12:35 AM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Guard Brent Barry, who was a key contributor on last season's championship team for the Spurs, is returning to San Antonio.

The Spurs, who traded Barry to the Seattle SuperSonics last Thursday as part of their package for forward Kurt Thomas, are set to reacquire him after he was released by the Sonics and cleared waivers Tuesday, according to a newspaper report.

The Arizona Republic reported that Phoenix Suns general manager Steve Kerr said he was told by Barry on Thursday that the 13-year veteran has opted to return to San Antonio and not accept Phoenix's offer.

"I spoke with Brent and he informed me he was going to stay in San Antonio," Kerr said. "He said that it was a tough decision but he's going to stay."

Among the reported suitors for Barry were the Mavericks, Celtics and Suns, who were looking for a shooting guard to give them more options on the bench.

The paper reported that Barry will play for the veteran's minimum salary for the remainder of this season and next season with the Spurs, although league rules mandate that the Spurs must wait until March 21 to officially sign him.

Barry was included along with center Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick in the multiplayer trade that brought the 6-foot-9 Thomas to the Spurs. Thomas was brought in to give the defending NBA champions much-needed size to complement Tim Duncan.

Barry, who originally signed as a free agent with San Antonio in July 2004, had averaged 7.3 points in 29 games for San Antonio this season. The 36-year-old guard has been sidelined the last several weeks by a calf injury.

i wonder if this deal was done before the trade ever happened? i guess we will never know

sharph20

Reaction score
I am very happy to have Barry back. I was going to miss seeing him in those HEB commercials. Hopefully he can recover from his injury quickly and give us some shooting like we got from finley last night.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rampage;1976247 said:
bowen had a handful of terry's jersey and ripped it out of his shorts

All the calls your team got last night and you are gonna focus on one?

Dirk was flopping all night and the Spurs even got penalized when Dirk tripped over his own teammate.

Be a man ...... your team was beaten because last night the Spurs were better.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Spurs keep on rolling: Bowen's block turns back Mavericks

Web Posted: 02/29/2008 12:34 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

Dallas' Jason Terry came charging at Bruce Bowen late in the third quarter Thursday night, no good flashing in his eyes. Considering neither player was dribbling a basketball, and play had long been whistled dead, it was safe to say trouble was afoot.

Presented with a fight-or-flight situation, Bowen chose neither option. He simply turned the other cheek, and allowed Terry to pick up a technical.

Later, after the Spurs had survived a slugfest to take a 97-94 victory over their Southwest Division rivals at the AT&T Center, Bowen would say the incident made him feel "kind of like a coward."

"Sometimes you want to exert your manliness against someone," Bowen said.

Before the night was over, Terry would have his comeuppance. And Bowen would have the best revenge of all.

Bowen blocked Terry's leaning 6-footer with 3.9 seconds left, helping the Spurs preserve a two-point lead in the wild waning moments of a white-knuckle victory before a playoff-ready sellout crowd of 18,797. It also allowed the Spurs to maintain their place atop the divisional standings.

The block finished a breathless final sequence in which Dallas had three chances to tie the game in the final 34 seconds, but couldn't do it.

"Tonight's game was a heavyweight fight," Dallas coach Avery Johnson said, "and we just didn't have the last punch to bring it home."

Tim Duncan had another monster night — 31 points and 15 rebounds — to lead the Spurs (39-17). They extended their season-best winning streak to seven in a row and capped a 10-1 February that has allowed them to keep pace with the Lakers, who have a one-game lead for top seed in the Western Conference.

Taking advantage of a 7-foot hole in the middle of the Mavericks' rotation, made possible when Dallas swapped center DeSagana Diop to New Jersey for Jason Kidd, Duncan cruised to a 20-point first half.

"I just got my shot to go down, and it goes from there," said Duncan, who finished with his 35th double-double of the season. "It's a great situation to be in when the jumper is going down, because I can start doing different things."

After half, Dallas (38-20) switched defenses, sending a steady array of double-teams at Duncan. That opened up looks for Spurs shooters such as Michael Finley, who scored 13 of his 16 points in the second half.

Bowen added 14 points, hitting 5 of 8 from the field. In that, Bowen made as many field goals as Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas' human pop-a-shot machine.

Nowitzki was 5 of 15 on his way to 28 points, getting 17 of them from the foul line.

After a seesawing first half, Dallas grabbed the momentum with a 16-4 run that left it ahead by 10 with 3:44 left in the third.

When the game swung back the Spurs' way, it did so on a goal-tending call. Terry punctuated the Mavs' spurt with a layup attempt that Robert Horry illegally blocked. Incensed at an elbow he says Bowen threw at him after the play, Terry came galloping at the Spurs forward.

Bowen characterized the dustup as "two guys bumping and grinding, and one guy reacting."

Terry was restrained by his teammates, and no blows were thrown, but he wound up with a technical. Finley hit the ensuing foul shot, then polished off a four-point possession with a 3-pointer.

Moments later, Johnson picked up another technical for arguing a non-call on Duncan. By the time Dallas had regained its composure, the Spurs had rattled off a 13-1 run to take a 70-68 lead with 1:20 left in the quarter.

"I'm not going to say a technical foul is what it takes for us to get going," Bowen said. "It just so happened it happened at that moment."

Duncan broke the final tie of a back-and-forth fourth quarter with a pair of foul shots with 34.5 seconds left, setting the stage for the frenetic final moments.

Nowitzki tried one failed jumper, then another, before the ball wound up in Terry's hands.

Again, Terry came charging at Bowen, this time with overtime in his eyes.

Fight or flight? This time, Bowen had another choice.

sharph20

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I could not stop cracking up after seeing Dirk nearly knock himself out by running into a teammate. It's not that I want to see anyone get hurt, but it was the hardest hit he had taken all night and there was no foul called. I half expected a whistle to be blown.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;1976817 said:

Dirk was flopping all night and the Spurs even got penalized when Dirk tripped over his own teammate.

i'm a rockets fan not a mavs fan. a spurs fan talking about flopping(what nerve) when you have the biggest flopper in the league on your team.:laugh2:

Route 66

Reaction score
zrinkill;1976817 said:

What I dont get is why you Spurs fans see so many different NBA players from so many different teams get upset with Bowen and write it off as being frustrated to "defensive domination".

MC KAos

Reaction score
Rampage;1977696 said:
i'm a rockets fan not a mavs fan. a spurs fan talking about flopping(what nerve) when you have the biggest flopper in the league on your team.:laugh2:

did i miss something? when did we sign vladi dicak?

MC KAos

Reaction score
Rowdy;1977707 said:
What I dont get is why you Spurs fans see so many different NBA players from so many different teams get upset with Bowen and write it off as being frustrated to "defensive domination".

because thats what it is, at least last night. go back and watch the replay, it was all ball, first of all, and any pushing was also done by terry, they just let them play, its how it should be.

Route 66

Reaction score
MC KAos;1978047 said:
because thats what it is, at least last night. go back and watch the replay, it was all ball, first of all, and any pushing was also done by terry, they just let them play, its how it should be.

I didn't even see the play last night so you could very well be right in that instance.