Official San Antonio Spurs Thread

gazmc_06

Reaction score
DCgirl13;2064976 said:
So you will be a hypocrite then? You are doing the exact same things that you don't like about most Suns fans, but it's ok because your team is winning? I think these are the same things that people don't like about New England Patriots fans or even Dallas Cowboys fans at that. Maybe it's because I'm a girl that I'm not arrogant about it, but it's just a freaking sport that none of us even get paid to talk about. I already have a ton of stress at my job, definitely don't need it over a damn sport.

So why would I go and give your team credit when all you can be is a d1ck about it? Hmmm...

To be fair, the Pats, Cowboys and Spurs all have a few championships each so I can't blame any of them for talkng about their team. I don't mind the Pats fans talking because the team backs up what the fans say 95% of the time, same with San Antonio...I only don't like teams bragging and not backing it up.

The Suns talking about being the better team is an example, I don't mind the Suns but they talk the talk and don't walk the walk. I don't like the Pats fans by any means, but the team usually backs up what is said so I respect them for that and give credit were credit is due.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
MC KAos;2064830 said:
he actually had a chance to be an amazing free trow shooter from rick barry by shooting them granny style but he said he was to cool for it basically, what an idiot. if he shot them granny style and went up to at least 70 percent he might have been the best center of all time.

Video of Rick Barry talking about trying to convince Shaq to learn the underhand free throw. Apparently Shaq told him he'd rather shoot 0% than do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLf3ltMsMI&NR=1

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Buck Harvey: Shaq walks away, and it's personal
San Antonio Express-news

Shaquille O’Neal walked down the court with some grace. No more words, no more bravado.

He reached out with his fist, and there was Tim Duncan with his, and their fists tapped.

Then O’Neal walked away, having not only lost a game but also a personal battle with the other great big man of this era.

Now Duncan, after a series that was far tighter than the 5-game length suggests, is in position to become the greatest.

Duncan had a few things going for him in this first round, such as the best point guard. Tony Parker took over again, almost as well as he did in Game 3 in Phoenix, and the contrast to Steve Nash was just as startling.

Nash ended with five turnovers while making only 4 of 16 shots, and a final moment ruined the Suns. Then, down by only two with 24 seconds left, an inbounds pass glanced off his hands and out of bounds.

But that was merely one of a seemingly thousand critical plays, with Duncan being involved in most. He defended Shaq and Amare Stoudemire, and he piled up 29 points and 17 rebounds, and he stayed out of foul trouble.

The best big man? There was never a doubt, when once there was a lot. Duncan and Shaq have been the standard of excellence in the league, and a common statistic says how much. Since Michael Jordan retired, one or the other has been in every NBA Finals.

For Shaq, there’s a lot of symmetry involved. He came out of a San Antonio high school, after all, and he persisted in creating a rivalry with another Spurs big man, David Robinson.

But ultimately, Duncan became Shaq’s adversary. Shaq eliminated Duncan three times (2001, 2002 and 2004), and now Duncan has eliminated Shaq three times (1999, 2003 and this season).

They’ve also won four titles each, and Shaq has been well aware of this. When he arrived in Phoenix two months ago, he told one teammate of his goal.

“I need to get my fifth ring,” Shaq said, “before Duncan gets his.”

Duncan has to do a few things before he gets his fifth. The younger Hornets have routed the Spurs a few times this season, and the Spurs won’t have the home-court advantage.

Then there’s Chris Paul: Parker will find he’s not a 34-year-old Nash.

But Duncan, not Shaq, is the one with the chance now, and Tuesday outlined a reason. There’s a 15-foot shot called a free throw, and Gregg Popovich asked Shaq to make a few.

“I just find it quite funny that when you’re up 20 that you do it,” Shaq said after Game 4. “It still shows me that I’m the most feared 36-year-old guy on the planet.”

What it really showed after he missed 11 free throws Tuesday: Shaq is one of the worst-shooting 36-year-old guys on the planet.

The strategy didn’t say much about Popovich’s confidence in his defense. But it was theater every time Shaq went to the line, with the crowd howling.

Shaq has always said he makes them when he has to. Memphis’ John Calipari coincidentally said the same this month in San Antonio, and that didn’t work out, either, in the Final Four.

The Suns were once one of the best free-throwing shooting teams in the league. Shaq made them one of the worst. At halftime, the Spurs had made all 12 of their attempts; the Suns, with twice as many attempts then, scored one fewer point at the line.

In the past, a few teams have hacked Duncan the same way. But he got past those yips, which is fitting. The most complete big man in this era has gotten past everything.

He saved Game 1 with his 3-pointer, and a similar touch was required for the finale. He threw in a 20-footer over Shaq in the middle of the fourth quarter to pull the Spurs within one, then Parker found him for a score.

Minutes later, with the score tied and the 24-second clock running down, Duncan threw in a one-hand runner, and the Spurs would never trail again.

With that, Duncan’s spotless record in the first round remained intact. With that, Duncan heads toward New Orleans with his first repeat possible.

With that, he’s left Shaq behind.

http://i182.***BLOCKED***/albums/x282/duncan228/4-29win.jpg

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anybody think Shaq will be our big body in the middle next year?

I think he would be a perfect compliment to Duncan and since we play more half court than either Miami or the Suns he would not be a detriment to our style.

And more importantly he would not have to be the go to guy at his age .....

Just a thought.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
zrinkill;2065086 said:
Anybody think Shaq will be our big body in the middle next year?

I think he would be a perfect compliment to Duncan and since we play more half court than either Miami or the Suns he would not be a detriment to our style.

And more importantly he would not have to be the go to guy at his age .....

Just a thought.
I don't get it? How would the Suns shed his salary?

Unless I don't understand the NBA salary cap correctly, I think Shaq is now an "unmovable object."

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Danny White;2065095 said:

Unless I don't understand the NBA salary cap correctly, I think Shaq is now an "unmovable object."

I think Shaq will be released this summer. He already hates it their.

Just my opinion ..... I do not think he would really end up with the Spurs ..... his Ego could not handle being 4th fiddle.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
zrinkill;2065109 said:
I think Shaq will be released this summer. He already hates it their.

Just my opinion ..... I do not think he would really end up with the Spurs ..... his Ego could not handle being 4th fiddle.

If they release him, though, don't they end up with a $40 million hit?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Danny White;2065054 said:
Video of Rick Barry talking about trying to convince Shaq to learn the underhand free throw. Apparently Shaq told him he'd rather shoot 0% than do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLf3ltMsMI&NR=1

I doubt that Shaq would have improved too much if he switched to the under hand free throw. He just lacks touch. Wilt Chamberlain tried the granny style free throw as well and it didn't help him. Rick Barry was a great shooter whether it was from the free throw line or away from the basket. He would have been a good free throw shooter if he shot them over hand, but he was just more comfortable with the granny style.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
joseephuss;2065173 said:
I doubt that Shaq would have improved too much if he switched to the under hand free throw. He just lacks touch. Wilt Chamberlain tried the granny style free throw as well and it didn't help him. Rick Barry was a great shooter whether it was from the free throw line or away from the basket. He would have been a good free throw shooter if he shot them over hand, but he was just more comfortable with the granny style.

That's quite possible.

I was more interested, though, in the line from Shaq that he'd rather be horrible (shoot 0%) than humble himself by trying something different that might make him look uncool.

Just think, the guy makes $20 million a year and he's not willing to try something that could possibly correct the one glaring flaw in his game? That's amazingly selfish. If, by changing up his style, he could have gotten up to 70%, the Suns might have won this series. But I guess that isn't worth looking foolish to Shaq.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;2065095 said:

Why not buy out the remainder of his contract? Seemed to work for Steve Francis.

Though that would mean admitting that trading Marion for Shaq was worse than just losing Marion outright this summer. At least they wouldn't have had to give up draft picks for that.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Danny White;2065188 said:
That's quite possible.

I was more interested, though, in the line from Shaq that he'd rather be horrible (shoot 0%) than humble himself by trying something different that might make him look uncool.

Just think, the guy makes $20 million a year and he's not willing to try something that could possibly correct the one glaring flaw in his game? That's amazingly selfish. If, by changing up his style, he could have gotten up to 70%, the Suns might have won this series. But I guess that isn't worth looking foolish to Shaq.

I agree. I think he is a selfish player. Always has been. I doubt he has truly put in the work to improve his cool style of shooting free throws.

Him getting to 70% was never going to happen.

What has always amazed me is that Tim Duncan is such a poor free throw shooter. The guy is all about technique and fundamentals, but has a big mental block at the line. Just weird.

And I don't think Shaq has any mental block at the line. He just is not a good shooter.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Mavs Man;2065206 said:
Why not buy out the remainder of his contract? Seemed to work for Steve Francis.

Though that would mean admitting that trading Marion for Shaq was worse than just losing Marion outright this summer. At least they wouldn't have had to give up draft picks for that.

So if you do that, does it just get wiped off the books and doesn't affect the salary cap (luxury tax)?

At this point, I don't think you're going to find another team who'll want to trade for him and take on that behemoth contract.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
joseephuss;2065211 said:
What has always amazed me is that Tim Duncan is such a poor free throw shooter. The guy is all about technique and fundamentals, but has a big mental block at the line. Just weird.

Here's an interesting article on that from InsideHoops.com

Tim Duncan's Free Throw Shooting Nightmares

By Dennis Hans | June 23, 2005

Of all the erratic free throw (FT) shooters who have ever played, Tim Duncan is the most confounding. He has a simple, low-maintenance delivery that would appear to be slump-proof; nevertheless, Duncan tends to lose it at the line when we least expect it. It might commence on a pressure-free attempt in the first quarter of a meaningless regular season game, or at the tail end of the hottest streak of his career. He'll come up way short on one attempt, and all of a sudden he can't get the ball to the rim.

The latest outbreak happened in Game 5 of the NBA Finals Sunday night, where he came up short on six consecutive fourth quarter attempts before finally swishing one to tie the game, which his San Antonio Spurs won in overtime. He went 4 for 11 in that game, and followed that up with 5 for 10 - including three more way-short misses - in a nip-and-tuck Game 6 loss.

Duncan's career FT average of .692 is decent for a big man, but the roller-coaster ride that has produced that mark boggles the mind. Beginning with his rookie campaign of 1997-98, Duncan has shot .662, .690, .761, .618, .799, .710, .589 and.670.

Steady progress his first three seasons leads to a career-low in his fourth, followed by a career-high (.799) in his fifth, followed by a significant drop-off in his sixth campaign, then hitting rock bottom (.589) in his seventh, followed by a tentative step this past season in the direction of his career average.

When Duncan rebounded from his first career low of .618 in 2000-01 to shoot .799 in 2001-02, it marked one of the greatest "self-help" success stories in NBA history.

Throughout his college and early pro career, Duncan had been a "tinkerer" at the stripe - open to suggestions and eager to fine-tune his technique. He was the type who always had one or more key thoughts in his head as he executed his FT routine. Just as too many chefs can spoil the soup, too many thoughts can wreck the routine. That, at least, is what Duncan thought, so after his .618 crash he opted for a KISS (Keep it simple, stupid) approach: a no-frills delivery that had worked for him in practice, but which he had yet to try under game conditions.

Duncan's simplified technique took his legs out of the equation. From his address position (upright, pigeon-toed stance with legs slightly flexed) he would give the ball a few hard bounces, then hold it waist high for several seconds as he focused on his target. To keep from freezing up, he rotated the ball in his fingers before establishing his shooting grip. From there, he lifted his arms and fired. The crisp, accelerating motion virtually eliminated any possibility of "guiding" or "steering" the ball, or "pulling the string," which means stopping the follow through at the half-way mark, as if you didn't really want to let the ball go.

In 2001-02, Duncan's KISS delivery worked splendidly from tipoff to final horn. His .799 was well above the league average of .752. For an encore, he shot .822 in the playoffs.

In 2002-03, using that same simplified form, Duncan tumbled to .710. In the playoffs he fell to .677, shooting well in some games and missing badly in others. As would become his trademark, he was often wildly erratic within the same game. He bottomed out in 2003-04, shooting .589, before rebounding to a mediocre .670 in 2004-05.

This postseason Duncan is shooting a respectable .725, which has included flashes of brilliance that spelled the difference between victory and defeat in critical games: 13 for 14 in an overtime win over Denver that gave the Spurs a commanding 3-1 edge; 14 for 17 in the nail-biting clincher over Seattle, which prevented a seventh game; and a 25-in-a-row streak in the middle of the Suns series.

However, the wheels have come off twice. He followed a 15 for 15 in a Game 3 win over Phoenix with a 3 for 12 in a tight Game 4 loss. He shook that off, and in the Finals he was 22 for 27 before his 4-for-11 Game 5 nightmare.

My hypothesis is Duncan suffers from "unintended changeup syndrome," or UCS. Something causes him to shoot a changeup when he's trying to shoot his standard FT fastball. The result is a way-short miss. He tries to rectify this by bearing down on his next attempt, reminding himself to get the ball all the way to the basket. But the very act of mentally bearing down adds to the tension in his fingers and arms, which dramatically increases the likelihood he'll fire another unintended changeup that goes 13 or 14 feet. UCS will plague him the remainder of the game as the self-imposed tension mounts, but it won't necessarily carry over to the next game. He'll have a day or two off - enough time to rediscover that he can indeed get the ball all the way to the basket when shooting from the foul line.

Many baseball pitchers throw an "intended changeup." Pedro Martinez and other masters of the art don't take 10 or 15 miles off their fastball by putting more arc on their pitch. Nor do they slow down their arm motion - a no-no that would alert the batter that an offspeed pitch was on the way and give him time to adjust. What the pitchers do is consciously alter their grip on the ball. They might put it back into the palm of their hand or increase the pressure with which they grip the ball with their fingers, and that reduces the velocity. Either method allows them to maintain the deception of a speedy arm motion that's identical to their fastball motion, which leads the fooled batter to swing before the ball reaches the plate.

Duncan's stroke LOOKS the same on his way-short misses as on his swishes, but he does something imperceptible to the naked eye that produces the changeup effect. Perhaps he subconsciously increases his grip pressure or the tension in his arms. Maybe he rushes his stroke, thereby beginning the forward arm motion before he has completed the upswing. Maybe it's something else. Regardless of the cause of the initial way-short miss, Duncan's "remedy" exacerbates the problem. A minor physical glitch that is best forgotten is transformed into a physical-mental problem. The more he focuses, the more he bears down, the longer he rotates the ball in his hands before getting a grip and pulling the trigger, the more likely he is to duplicate the arm tension, grip pressure, rushed motion or whatever that leads to a 13-foot shot from a 15-foot line.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but Duncan would be wise to give his a rest following his initial way-short miss. After all, chances at championships are also terrible things to waste.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;2065368 said:
So if you do that, does it just get wiped off the books and doesn't affect the salary cap (luxury tax)?

Great question - I have no idea. :laugh2:

MC KAos

Reaction score
the buyout is a way for a contract to be cancelled, it would not go in the salary. but for that to happen you would be paying shaq 40 million dollars just to leave, something the suns, being cheap, will never do. if anything they should let him stay one more year and if its really that bad let him go after next year. I dont think he will play past next season though i think he will retire.

as for duncan's ft shooting, he isnt that bad. he was terrible for like a year or two but he is normally at least around 70 percent, and he is better in the playoffs than the regular season, specially in the fourth quarter. in review, duncan is what i like to call clutch.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DCgirl13;2064965 said:
No really, don't get your hopes up. No animosity here. Had we not make a few crucial mistakes in game 1 and 2, Game 5 could have EASILY been our close out game. You really need to grow up with the Nones thing, come on at least come up with a better name. :laugh2:

haha, are you serious, you are so delusional. its like saying "if the cowboys would have scored more points than the giants we would have won that game". DUH!!! too bad your team isnt clutch and messes up in pressure situations, thats why yall lost, quit trying to take credit from the spurs for the psychological beatdown they give the suns on a yearly basis.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Once again, the Spurs fool everyone
They only look boring — this is one of most finely-tune machines ever

SportingNews.com

By Stan McNeal
April. 30, 2008

The Spurs are laughing at us. Not out loud, mind you. They are too smart for that. But they are feeling mighty fine on the inside, thank you very much. Just don't expect them to show it. That's part of their secret.

After they finished off the Suns Tuesday night — did you ever really think the Suns were going to win that game? — Gregg Popovich responded with typical sarcasm. "It's good to know the playoffs are over," he said. "We don't have to play anyone else, do we?" In two sentences, Popovich downplayed the significance of his team's impressive performance by pointing out it still has three rounds to go.

Don't let the Spurs' No. 3 finish in the regular season fool you. This is the best team in the league, and it's not close. They may have teased us for 82 games, letting us think that the pack was catching up. Don't count on it. The Spurs understand the difference between the regular season and the playoffs better than anyone. Tim Duncan goes all season without scoring 40 points, and then goes for 40 and 15 in the playoff opener. How do you explain that one, Tim? "I don't know, dumb luck," he says. OK, sure.

The Spurs have set the bar so high that they created a frenzy of blockbuster trades in February, with only the Lakers' acquisition of Pau Gasol still having a chance of paying off. What's funny about that frenzy: The Spurs quietly (do they know any other way?) made perhaps the second-best move by trading for Kurt Thomas. The deal didn't make any headlines outside of San Antonio, but Thomas sure paid off against the Suns. Even more insulting to Phoenix: Thomas was on the other side last summer, banging against Tim Duncan. Then the Suns traded him for financial reasons, only to admit that mistake by spending way more to get Shaquille O'Neal.

People gripe that the Spurs are boring but the only place they're boring is in front of reporters, and that's by design. On the court, the Spurs are a finely tuned machine that plays as efficiently as any team ever. They are built around the best threesome in the league, they have one of the top two coaches and they have every role covered. Need a 3-point shooter? Well, there's Michael Finley and Brent Barry. Need a big man 3-point shooter? Robert Horry and Matt Bonner are sitting there waiting. How about a physical inside presence? Thomas, get in there. Capable backup at the point? Well, Manu Ginobili can slide to that position or they can bring in Jacque Vaughn. Remember when such a big deal was made of where Damon Stoudamire would end up? San Antonio got him and he can't even get minutes. Need an athletic 3? Ime Udoka is on the way.

I wonder what the Spurs really thought when the Suns acquired Shaq. They heard all about how he would make the Suns better equipped to beat the Spurs, and the Suns showed as much in the regular season. Then the Spurs eliminate them 4-1 and a report -- from a very reliable source -- comes out that Mike D'Antoni is out as head coach. How dumb: Lets' get rid of one of the best coaches in the league because we lost to the Spurs. Getting rid of D'Antoni ensures Phoenix of one thing: The Suns will not be any closer to the Spurs this time next year. The Suns will not find a replacement who's better than D'Antoni. And the Spurs can take satisfaction knowing a team that actually was closing the gap last year now is losing ground.

The Mavs are not much different than the Suns. They knew they weren't going to beat the Spurs with what they had. They took a chance -- a very costly one --- on Jason Kidd. The Mavs won't even get a chance at the Spurs because they've already been bounced in embarrassing fashion by the Hornets. Now Mark Cuban will be expected to blow things up and somehow put together a team that can beat the Spurs. Well, good luck.

At least the Spurs' next victim, the Hornets, won't have to worry about radical makeovers after they come up short. This is a young team with its window just opening. They will learn valuable lessons from the Spurs. They just won't beat them.

You saw how Tony Parker went off against the Suns. Because Steve Nash couldn't defend him, the Suns basically had no chance. Well, the Hornets have Chris Paul, and he can stick with Parker. You know what that means? Ginobili will be the man in this series. Who's going to defend him? Mo Peterson?

The Spurs have such an answer for every opponent. And, of course, they also have Duncan. All he has been is the best big man in the game over the past 10 years.

I don't blame the Suns or the Mavericks or any team for making their big deals. They have to take chances to have a chance against the Spurs. I just don't think they should be all that disappointed when they fall short.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Danny White;2066080 said:
Once again, the Spurs fool everyone
They only look boring — this is one of most finely-tune machines ever

SportingNews.com

By Stan McNeal
April. 30, 2008

The Spurs are laughing at us. Not out loud, mind you. They are too smart for that. But they are feeling mighty fine on the inside, thank you very much. Just don't expect them to show it. That's part of their secret.

After they finished off the Suns Tuesday night — did you ever really think the Suns were going to win that game? — Gregg Popovich responded with typical sarcasm. "It's good to know the playoffs are over," he said. "We don't have to play anyone else, do we?" In two sentences, Popovich downplayed the significance of his team's impressive performance by pointing out it still has three rounds to go.

Don't let the Spurs' No. 3 finish in the regular season fool you. This is the best team in the league, and it's not close. They may have teased us for 82 games, letting us think that the pack was catching up. Don't count on it. The Spurs understand the difference between the regular season and the playoffs better than anyone. Tim Duncan goes all season without scoring 40 points, and then goes for 40 and 15 in the playoff opener. How do you explain that one, Tim? "I don't know, dumb luck," he says. OK, sure.

The Spurs have set the bar so high that they created a frenzy of blockbuster trades in February, with only the Lakers' acquisition of Pau Gasol still having a chance of paying off. What's funny about that frenzy: The Spurs quietly (do they know any other way?) made perhaps the second-best move by trading for Kurt Thomas. The deal didn't make any headlines outside of San Antonio, but Thomas sure paid off against the Suns. Even more insulting to Phoenix: Thomas was on the other side last summer, banging against Tim Duncan. Then the Suns traded him for financial reasons, only to admit that mistake by spending way more to get Shaquille O'Neal.

People gripe that the Spurs are boring but the only place they're boring is in front of reporters, and that's by design. On the court, the Spurs are a finely tuned machine that plays as efficiently as any team ever. They are built around the best threesome in the league, they have one of the top two coaches and they have every role covered. Need a 3-point shooter? Well, there's Michael Finley and Brent Barry. Need a big man 3-point shooter? Robert Horry and Matt Bonner are sitting there waiting. How about a physical inside presence? Thomas, get in there. Capable backup at the point? Well, Manu Ginobili can slide to that position or they can bring in Jacque Vaughn. Remember when such a big deal was made of where Damon Stoudamire would end up? San Antonio got him and he can't even get minutes. Need an athletic 3? Ime Udoka is on the way.

I wonder what the Spurs really thought when the Suns acquired Shaq. They heard all about how he would make the Suns better equipped to beat the Spurs, and the Suns showed as much in the regular season. Then the Spurs eliminate them 4-1 and a report -- from a very reliable source -- comes out that Mike D'Antoni is out as head coach. How dumb: Lets' get rid of one of the best coaches in the league because we lost to the Spurs. Getting rid of D'Antoni ensures Phoenix of one thing: The Suns will not be any closer to the Spurs this time next year. The Suns will not find a replacement who's better than D'Antoni. And the Spurs can take satisfaction knowing a team that actually was closing the gap last year now is losing ground.

The Mavs are not much different than the Suns. They knew they weren't going to beat the Spurs with what they had. They took a chance -- a very costly one --- on Jason Kidd. The Mavs won't even get a chance at the Spurs because they've already been bounced in embarrassing fashion by the Hornets. Now Mark Cuban will be expected to blow things up and somehow put together a team that can beat the Spurs. Well, good luck.

At least the Spurs' next victim, the Hornets, won't have to worry about radical makeovers after they come up short. This is a young team with its window just opening. They will learn valuable lessons from the Spurs. They just won't beat them.

You saw how Tony Parker went off against the Suns. Because Steve Nash couldn't defend him, the Suns basically had no chance. Well, the Hornets have Chris Paul, and he can stick with Parker. You know what that means? Ginobili will be the man in this series. Who's going to defend him? Mo Peterson?

The Spurs have such an answer for every opponent. And, of course, they also have Duncan. All he has been is the best big man in the game over the past 10 years.

I don't blame the Suns or the Mavericks or any team for making their big deals. They have to take chances to have a chance against the Spurs. I just don't think they should be all that disappointed when they fall short.

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
thekavorka;2070023 said:
that was one finely tuned machine out there tonight

I know the Mavericks are no indication of any sort of test for any team, but watching the Hornets just dismantle the Mavericks and after watching the Hornets dismantle the Spurs in game 1...

The Spurs better be real real careful...