***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This week's episode of Ahsoka was pretty meh, IMO.
I have to say, Sabine is kind of an idiot. The first thing she should have mentioned upon finding her friend is how she got there, and who else was there...not to mention that it's likely they followed her, because if she didn't consider that, she's well beyond kind of an idiot.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to say, Sabine is kind of an idiot. The first thing she should have mentioned upon finding her friend is how she got there, and who else was there...not to mention that it's likely they followed her, because if she didn't consider that, she's well beyond kind of an idiot.
The new character with the Blue Skin and Red Eyes...pretty wicked looking. Just a good combo imo

Creeper

Reaction score
Started YellowJackets on Showtime. Good cast and disturbing enough to keep you interested. I'm only a few episodes in, but so far it's definitely worth a watch.
It started great but midway through season 2 I wanted to quit watching. It just seemed to drag on and get more stupid.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The new character with the Blue Skin and Red Eyes...pretty wicked looking. Just a good combo imo
Thrawn. He lulls enemies into making their own mistakes. Calculating. Unmercifully deadly.

The actor playing him is the same guy who did the character voice in Star Wars Rebels. I am confident he will bring out the best in Thrawn for that rest.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She’s an unlikeable character.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She’s an unlikeable character.
I trust Dave Filoni but I am forced to agree. So far. He made her much more likeable as an animated character, along with other quality attributes.

I will not blame the actress at all though. The story has framed her personality within it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I trust Dave Filoni but I am forced to agree. So far. He made her much more likeable as an animated character, along with other quality attributes.

I will not blame the actress at all though. The story has framed her personality within it.
For me - as someone not well familiar with the animated character - it’s both.

The writing has played a large role, but the actress hasn’t done anything for me either.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A Discovery of Witches - (MAX)

A supernatural series, pretty dark. It has its moments, but so far too many of them remind me of perfume commercials.

It feels like it's building up to a huge crescendo, so I'm sticking it out. Hope I don't regret it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Gangs of London

I finally got around to watching, watched the first two seasons and should have watched it sooner. I didn't realize, but the series creator, Gareth Evans also directed "The Raid" movies. He only directs a couple full episodes, but he directed most of the action and fight scenes. The action and fight scenes are insane, there were many times that I had to stop and rewatch the scene. It's not a straight up action series, but when it happens it's brutal, but very well done, some creative and well filmed shots.

It's about a London crime kingpin that dies and other criminal organizations try and fill that void. The story is alright, lots of double dealing and deception, all have large ambitions. Between "The Raid" movies and now this, it proves that Gareth Evans knows how to do action. It may be too late to revive "The Raid" franchise but hopefully he gets a new action movie series, I'm there for it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't worry about it, I can find it online. I didn't delete my post in time... You're too quick sometimes!
:laugh:
No worries. :)

Two things to consider. First, Padawan means Jedi learner, kinda like college professor and student. The other thing is there were a number of years that existed between Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. It is during this time that Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano were paired together. She basically grew up fighting in the Clone wars from around age 12 to age 17 or 18.

Technically, Obi-Wan Kenobi was always Anakin's Jedi Master and he was Obi-Wan's padawan--even after Anakin "graduated" and became a Jedi Knight and later Jefi Master himself.

Anakin was teaching Ahsoka to become a Jedi Knight up and until the end of the Clone Wars when Palpatine issued Order 66, which triggered all Clonetroppers to massacre all Jedi. Almost the exact same time Palpatine set things in motion, he broke Anakin's will and made him his apprentice a.k.a. Darth Vader.

She and Anakin separated when he learned Palpatine, who was still the Republic Chancellor to everyone who did not know he had finally revealed himself, was in danger. He ran off to save Palpatine. Ahsoka left for Mandalore to capture Darth Maul. That was the last time she saw Anakin and was left thinking he was killed by the Clones. She never knew what Anakin became for this reason.

All these events were chronicled in the two Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels series.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
A Discovery of Witches - (MAX)

A supernatural series, pretty dark. It has its moments, but so far too many of them remind me of perfume commercials.

It feels like it's building up to a huge crescendo, so I'm sticking it out. Hope I don't regret it.
Wife got me to watch this, she loves it. I'm a history buff, so I thought the whole time travel part would pull me in and always down for horror or supernatural themes.

I dug the beginning and the whole Underworld-esque theme with the fighting supernatural creatures, and rich European history, but you are right, not even through season one and it is starting to feel like one giant perfume commercial. Doubt I will continue.

All this new AMC content on MAX - I don't think AMC makes any show that doesn't have vampires or witches in it. LOL

visionary

Reaction score
Woman of the dead
Netflix short series
7/10
Story of a female mortician whose husband is killed and she does not believe it is an accident
Pretty interesting in a quirky way

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
One Piece
It's the live action series based on the long running Japanese manga, it also has been done in anime. It's about a young pirate captain that wants to find a mythical treasure called the One Piece and become King of the Pirates. I knew nothing going in about it and can't vouch for how close it is to the original source material, but it was fun and entertaining. It's a fantasy world with all manner of sea creatures, fishmen, animal people and all sorts of mythical elements. It definitely has a fairy tale almost 'Princess Bride' type feel to it. The main character, Monkey D Luffy, has an unshakable optimism that makes for a fun, light-hearted adventure. Looking forward to more seasons.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
One Piece
It's the live action series based on the long running Japanese manga, it also has been done in anime. It's about a young pirate captain that wants to find a mythical treasure called the One Piece and become King of the Pirates. I knew nothing going in about it and can't vouch for how close it is to the original source material, but it was fun and entertaining. It's a fantasy world with all manner of sea creatures, fishmen, animal people and all sorts of mythical elements. It definitely has a fairy tale almost 'Princess Bride' type feel to it. The main character, Monkey D Luffy, has an unshakable optimism that makes for a fun, light-hearted adventure. Looking forward to more seasons.
I heard the creator had creative control and could order reshoots. So it's suppose to be true to the original.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I just binged Ashoka and only have the finale next week to watch. I enjoy the Star Wars shows more than the Marvel shows on Disney Plus. I would rank them:
  1. The Mandalorian
  2. Andor
  3. Rebels
  4. Obi-Wan
  5. Chronicles of Boba Fett
  6. Ashoka
Haven't seen Clone Wars or any other animated shows other than Rebels.

Ashoka's title is misleading. That was just an attempt to bring all the popular characters in their animated series into live-action. Cool concept, but makes it tough to follow. Not much of a Star Wars animation watcher, but I did enjoy Rebels and tried to keep up with it when it first came out, but failed somewhere around season 2. Still knew enough to recognize all the characters, but there are a lot of storylines in Ashoka that apparently you had to have seen certain Rebels or Clone Wars episodes to get more excited. I'm also disappointed in most of the Rebel live-action character versions except for General Thrawn. Almost makes up for a boring first half watching Thrawn start to take over in the last episodes.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I really enjoy how they CGI age all these classic characters to bring them back, like they did with the Anakin Skywalker scene. They almost redeemed him with his guidance for Ashoka, because he looked like a schmuck in the prequels. Once CGI is finetuned to perfection, studios can just hire the 80-year old actors to voice and make the rest themselves. LOL (If they even need the voice with their new AI programs!)

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Not streaming thing, Netflix by mail officially ended. I had hoped of get the full 10 extra discs but I think that is not happening. Did get notified Spider-Man No Way Home had been shipped to go along with John Wick 4 that I have still sitting in the envelope. I had loaded my to 10 with different things, half of which was the space above and beyond series. Oh well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ashoka's title is misleading.
How? This series is based on Star Wars The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. The former is the story of Ahsoka. The latter is the story of Ezra Bridger, supported by the character of Ahsoka. This live-action series would not even exist without Ahsoka.

I am glad characters like Grand Admiral Thrawn may be appealing to the greater audience. Perhaps it will be enough to convince Disney to commit to another season after reviewing the Nielsen data. Heaven knows they and other streamers will pull the plug on a series that is not a number one hit to save a buck.

However, for a core audience member like myself, I have enjoyed the entire debut season, warts and all. Seven seasons of TCW was very entertaining. Four seasons of SWR was pretty good also, especially the middle of the third season until the end. Seeing a continuation of Jedi lore, that of Jedi and student, play out has been fulfilling for me as a Star Wars fan.

My one true regret is that the majority of the live-action audiences received only a bare background of Ahsoka and Anakin's relationship, which was powerful in the first animated series and touched upon much more thoroughly in the follow-up series than this one. Comic books, novels and video games have and continue to explore many ideations of Jedi master and padawan--or even Sith and apprentice for that matter. The films have only scratched the surface of that shared dynamic. Ahsoka is or could have been an opportunity for many watchers to have a better understanding and appreciation of that special bond.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How? This series is based on Star Wars The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. The former is the story of Ahsoka. The latter is the story of Ezra Bridger, supported by the character of Ahsoka. This live-action series would not even exist without Ahsoka.

I am glad characters like Grand Admiral Thrawn may be appealing to the greater audience. Perhaps it will be enough to convince Disney to commit to another season after reviewing the Nielsen data. Heaven knows they and other streamers will plug the plug on a series that is not a number one hit to save a buck.

However, for a core audience member like myself, I have enjoyed the entire debut season, warts and all. Seven seasons of TCW was very entertaining. Four seasons of SWR was pretty good also, especially the middle of the third season until the end. Seeing a continuation of Jedi lore, that of Jedi and student, play out has been fulfilling for me as a Star Wars fan.

My one true regret is that the majority of the live-action audiences received only a bare background of Ahsoka and Anakin's relationship, which was powerful in the first animated series and touched upon much more thoroughly in the follow-up series than this one. Comic books, novels and video games have and continue to explore many ideations of Jedi master and padawan--or even Sith and apprentice for that matter. The films have only scratched the surface of that shared dynamic. Ahsoka is or could have been an opportunity for many watchers to have a better understanding and appreciation of that special bond.
Meh

:muttley: