***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Netflix's The Fall of the House of Usher is a good modern take of the literary classic. It is not a great mini-series but it is the cast that makes the show such a good watch. I binged watched all eight episodes yesterday.

All of the Usher children are played distinctly. The roles of Camille, Victorine, and Leo are particularly self-servicing and unremorseful. I thought I would eventually barf at the quirkiness of the Juno character but the actress won me over before the end. The pure innocence of Lenore was done so well that I looked up the actress, Kyliegh Curran, who played her.

However, the central performances are what drive the show. Mark Hamill has always struggled as a believable actor outside Star Wars and animated roles but his Arthur Pym is cutthroat unsavory. Young Dupin was played well but Carl Lumbly playing witness to the house of Usher as older Dupin was even better. Michael Trucco was despicably bad as Rufus Griswold.

Then there was the role of Madeline. Teen Madeline was brief but Lulu Wilson sets her up well. Willa Fritzgerald's grown Madeline almost steals all three versions. However, older Madeline was played by Mary McDonnell. Few actors play good or bad characters as equally well as McDonnell, lol.

Honestly, I was not particularly taken with the younger Rodericks but Bruce Greenwood's older Roderick is just a pit of humanity. His narration is great throughout, something I believe Poe would have loved.

Finally. Carla Gugino. I saw her in the preview. She sold me on watching the series. For me, she did not disappoint. Well, the initial interaction with Tamerlane was a BIT of a stretch for her, although I did not mind seeing her play in that particular scene too much. Quote the Raven, Nevermore, lol.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Ugh......here we go with this week's Hard Knocks episode. :rolleyes:

Shall be fun to watch, let me tell ya! lol

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Since I watched them on Disney+, I am counting the Doctor Who specials. I watched the first 3 so far, and I like them. Been fun seeing David Tennant back in the role and interested in where they go with the new Doctor.

Did everyone see that starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements? Not a big deal to me. I have Prime for shopping, video is just a bonus. Plus, from what I read, this change doesn't apply to purchased content, which is usually the only thing I watch on it.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Did everyone see that starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements?
Crazy, but they have an advantage over other streaming sites as their service is linked to the other benefits of a Prime membership. So I don't expect they'll see as many cancelation as other if they tried this.

For me, I'll just watch Prime content on streaming site then so I don't have to see the ads.

Creeper

Reaction score
Since I watched them on Disney+, I am counting the Doctor Who specials. I watched the first 3 so far, and I like them. Been fun seeing David Tennant back in the role and interested in where they go with the new Doctor.

Did everyone see that starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements? Not a big deal to me. I have Prime for shopping, video is just a bonus. Plus, from what I read, this change doesn't apply to purchased content, which is usually the only thing I watch on it.
I just got the email from Prime. They are offering ad free streaming for another $2.99 per month. I am sure that is just the intro and in a short time it will be $9.99 per month or something like that.

Amazon Prime is already $139 per year but it is more than just video. Prime video costs $8.99. With add free it will cost $11.98.

My problem with this is Amazon's content is not always free. They have some movies that you have to pay to watch. Not everything is Prime eligible. I wish they would throw that content in for the extra $2.99 per month.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Netflix's The Fall of the House of Usher is a good modern take of the literary classic. It is not a great mini-series but it is the cast that makes the show such a good watch. I binged watched all eight episodes yesterday.

All of the Usher children are played distinctly. The roles of Camille, Victorine, and Leo are particularly self-servicing and unremorseful. I thought I would eventually barf at the quirkiness of the Juno character but the actress won me over before the end. The pure innocence of Lenore was done so well that I looked up the actress, Kyliegh Curran, who played her.

However, the central performances are what drive the show. Mark Hamill has always struggled as a believable actor outside Star Wars and animated roles but his Arthur Pym is cutthroat unsavory. Young Dupin was played well but Carl Lumbly playing witness to the house of Usher as older Dupin was even better. Michael Trucco was despicably bad as Rufus Griswold.

Then there was the role of Madeline. Teen Madeline was brief but Lulu Wilson sets her up well. Willa Fritzgerald's grown Madeline almost steals all three versions. However, older Madeline was played by Mary McDonnell. Few actors play good or bad characters as equally well as McDonnell, lol.

Honestly, I was not particularly taken with the younger Rodericks but Bruce Greenwood's older Roderick is just a pit of humanity. His narration is great throughout, something I believe Poe would have loved.

Finally. Carla Gugino. I saw her in the preview. She sold me on watching the series. For me, she did not disappoint. Well, the initial interaction with Tamerlane was a BIT of a stretch for her, although I did not mind seeing her play in that particular scene too much. Quote the Raven, Nevermore, lol.
Did you watch Midnight Mass? Same guy. Amazing series.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes Reacher season 2 is much slower from season 1. Only 8 episodes after being away for over a year is disappointing as well. Hell, Black List was like 22 episodes per season!
I am only up to Episode 4 but yes, it is slower. There are some good things about it, but the combination of the slow movement of the story, and the fact that Amazon is dropping the episodes weekly really makes me want to give it a bad review. And btw, no NJ gun dealer is going to make the deal we saw this season unless Reacher backed up a truck of gold in return and two tickets to a country without extradition to the US.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes Reacher season 2 is much slower from season 1. Only 8 episodes after being away for over a year is disappointing as well. Hell, Black List was like 22 episodes per season!
Bold>The unfortunate compromise of streaming versus network television. Networks pay for a lesser number of series to fill chunks of their schedule for months at a time.

Contrastly, streamers pay for shows in bulk to flesh out their libraries and keep them relatively 'fresh'. They cannot afford to pay all their producers for content that could stretch for months, so they contract for much shorter episodic seasons instead.

I do not care for it. Even well-done six-to-ten episode seasons can squeeze out important dialogue and scenes that would normally fit easily into more episodes. That can sometimes affect overall quality of the product.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Bold>The unfortunate compromise of streaming versus network television. Networks pay for a lesser number of series to fill chunks of their schedule for months at a time.

Contrastly, streamers pay for shows in bulk to flesh out their libraries and keep them relatively 'fresh'. They cannot afford to pay all their producers for content that could stretch for months, so they contract for much shorter episodic seasons instead.

I do not care for it. Even well-done six-to-ten episode seasons can squeeze out important dialogue and scenes that would normally fit easily into more episodes. That can sometimes affect overall quality of the product.
Season 3 of Slow Horses just ended, great season too, and season 4 has already been shot and could be released next week if they chose to release it. They actually shot seasons 3 and 4 at the same time, it's killing me knowing it's ready to go, but still won't be released until late this year. :banghead:

Season 5 has already been approved, so that's a plus

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Sopranos
Haven’t seen it again since it ended but slowly watching it again. Done with S1 and definitely still holds up! :thumbup:

Great show. Still one of my all-time favorites. Sad that James Gandolfini died so young. I believe some of the older actors in his gang have passed as well.

She’s in her 50’s now but woweee, forgot how hot that Italian actress was who played his hallucination, Isabella. Like a taller more voluptuous Catherine Zeta Jones in her prime.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coach Prime, ironically on Prime is a good watch if you have any interest in Sanders. It chronicles their season with a lot behind the scenes.