Opinion: Cooper Rush is never giving the starting job back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Perhaps but what happens if Rush leads Dallas to another 2 or 3 wins in a row (if Dak comes back within 4 weeks) or God forbid leads Dallas to a 6-1 or 5-2 record heading into the bye week?

He would have to play really, really well (better than today) in those games to not give the job back.

Blackrain

Reaction score
He played a good game but he’s not starter talent IMHO. He certainly has proven he can manage a game. But teams are going to start jumping on those sideline throws. That’s his weakness . Not enough arm strength. But proud of him and the entire team. Never gave up like most of the Zoners did.
He can only prove that he has the talent to be a starter when he's given the opportunity .
So far when he's been given the opportunity in last year's game against the Vikings and this year's game against the AFC champs he has played well and we have won the games

As a fan that's all I can ask enough talent to play well and for us to win the game I'm not sure what more you need

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He can only prove that he has the talent to be a starter when he's given the opportunity .
So far when he's been given the opportunity in last year's game against the Vikings and this year's game against the AFC champs he has played well and we have won the games

As a fan that's all I can ask enough talent to play well and for us to win the game I'm not sure what more you need
He doesn’t have the arm strength. He’s an capable backup is all.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Let's throttle this down a bit.

Both Coop and KM still have lots of work to do. MM can help too.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Cooper Rush proved again he is a competent BACKUP quarterback. Somebody that a team can build a gameplan around and win with SHORT term.

If the Cowboys started Rush all season his shortcomings would slowly become more evident. Remember teams have almost no film on Rush aside from preseason. The longer Dak is out the more the Cowboys need to "hide" what Rush lacks (powerful arm, mobility in the pocket, etc.).

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
He made some good throws, moved around fairly good in the pocket and buying himself time on a lot of plays. Seems to have good pocket presence. Actually looked a little bit like Romo out there on a few plays. And he definitely will improve each outing he has. Throw into this game some bogus penalties if he would’ve had even a better game. He’s not bad, but let’s make no mistake about it, our defense won this game. Rush did what he had to keep the game under control and ultimately win. He’s not as good as Dak. He’s better in some aspects, but he’s not replacing Dak. Even if we go 4-0 him under center, Dak will still take the helm when he comes back.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
A bum like Dak being named the starter over Romo because he had the best offensive line and running game in the league making him look serviceable?

Geno Smith becoming a starter again 8 years after his last start and looking better than 7 year starter Dak?
I guess Geno used up most of his magic last week against the Broncos, because today he played like hot garbage against the 49ers.:muttley:

Blackrain

Reaction score
You don't know what he's capable of yet.

What did you read something about his arm strength he obviously has enough to hit receivers in stride.
Didn't look like he had any arm strength problem last night as he led the team down to victory

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Rush is a noodle arm. Dak doesn't have a good arm but Dak's throws are noticeably faster.

CWR

Reaction score
Rush is rapidly becoming my favorite back up of all time lol.

Seriously difficult not to like the guy.

He comes in and wins two sure losses.

Had he not showed so terribly in preseason he'd have a lot more positive momentum from the fanbase.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Well Dak is 6-6 his last 12 games and everyone notices his diminished arm strength and the fact he seems to be having a tough time reading the field so what is Dak then?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I thought about making a separate thread on this but I suppose it might work here.

Rush isn't that good. The issue is that the team around Rush is much better than Dak normally makes it look . . . and that is Kellen's fault.

Dak is a bus driver. He did the best as dink and dak. He is a much better bus driver than Rush because he can hit players long and he is mobile enough to keep plays alive. IMHO, when Dak comes back, he should start and have the playbook altered to be more like 2016. Run heavy, lots of short checkdowns, etc. He also needs to get under center.

Treating Dak like Mahomes is just making Dak look bad. Let Dak be himself and the whole team will look better for it. Dak isn't, and never will be, a top 3 QB. In the right system though he can be a winner and has been in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.