Opinion on an interview suit.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
DIAF;3770514 said:
theo's advice I think is the best in this thread. When interviewing, just stick with as conservative as possible. Please avoid 3-button suits unless you are a taller guy. Also, when getting your suit fit, be mindful of the shoulders. If the shoulders aren't right, the rest of the jacket isn't right. Shoulders should not stick out too much and should not rumple inwards. If they do, the jacket shoulders are too big. If you stand next to the wall in the fitting room with your arms straight down and you gently tilt towards the wall....if the jacket shoulders hit the wall way before your upper arm/elbow does the shoulders are too big. Please pay attention to this; too many people don't and end up looking like they are a kid wearing their dad's suit or something. As far as length goes, when your arms are straight by your side, your jacket should hit at or around the midpoint of your thumb.

Jos A Bank is better than the designer label garbage you will find on the racks at typical department stores, but is still rather meh. Personally I think its too pricey for what you get, unless you are getting in on one of their buy 1 get 1 free/half off/buy two get 1 free/whatever crazy deals.

Men's Wearhouse is absolute trash, avoid at all costs.

I like Brooks Brothers a good deal, their fits are superior to the off-the-rack stuff at MW or JAB and the like, materials are superior and the guys in the store know how a suit should fit and what needs to be done to one to make it fit you. Guys at big chains or dept stores don't give a damn and just want to make the sale for their commission. J Press makes nice suits as well. Also, pay a visit to your local menswear shops, nearly every medium size-large city has a couple of venerable old menswear shops that will carry higher quality merchandise from labels you probably won't recognize, like Southwick.

For ties, i buy lots of 'em on ebay. Ties on the 'bay are cheap, even from places like Brooks. Buy a lot of 'em, keep the good ones and toss the ones that don't make the cut.

Shoes I would actually spend some money here. I see too many people at work walking around in awful looking "dress" shoes that havent been taken care of, all creased and marked up because its thin cowhide with stitches fraying. And most of them aren't even stiched into the sole. The uppers are just glued to an all-rubber heel. Go with something that has a leather sole, is stiched, and from a reputable maker like Allen Edmonds or (if you can afford it) Alden. 200-400 bucks for shoes might seem steep, but not when you consider these were meant to be cared for and if properly done so, will last you for 20 years. If you cant quite drop that much money on a shoe, get a decent midrange brand like Johnston and Murphy or something.

Shirts, dont really matter that much since they will be under your jacket. Just make sure you stick with a regular point collar, no button-downs. That's far too casual for a suit. Make sure the sleeve length is correct; you should have a bit of cuff showing under your jacket but that's it.

Most boot repair shops can resole your shoes as well if you get a really good pair. I am not sure what it cost where everyone else is but to resole my elephant boots cost me about $60 here in Houston but i got a great little shop not far from my house that does excellent work

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Kangaroo;3770836 said:
Most boot repair shops can resole your shoes as well if you get a really good pair. I am not sure what it cost where everyone else is but to resole my elephant boots cost me about $60 here in Houston but i got a great little shop not far from my house that does excellent work
That's one of the huge benefits of getting Allen Edmunds, Aldens, or the like. The soles can be repaired after years of use for very little cost.

The other huge benefit is that they're actually comfortable to wear. Cheap dress shoes are terrible on your feet. I pretty much only buy AE's nowadays. I may try a pair of Aldens at some point, but if I get in that price range, I may start looking at English shoemakers.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DIAF;3770514 said:
I like Brooks Brothers

Brooks Brothers is very popular with eccentric yupsters. They carry a lot of very nice things, but they also carry a lot of stuff with oddball colors. A lot people that live around Greenwich shop there. You can always tell they shop at Brooks Brothers because their pants are sorbet orange with navy blue boat anchors on them or some other odd color. :laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3770864 said:
That's one of the huge benefits of getting Allen Edmunds, Aldens, or the like. The soles can be repaired after years of use for very little cost.

The other huge benefit is that they're actually comfortable to wear. Cheap dress shoes are terrible on your feet. I pretty much only buy AE's nowadays. I may try a pair of Aldens at some point, but if I get in that price range, I may start looking at English shoemakers.

My father (insurance salesman) has been buying his shoes there for 20 + years. I even get them as Xmas presents from time to time.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Hopefully, some day soon the suit will be extinct. I have one suit that I have had for 15 years. I wear it for weddings, funerals, and interviews all-year. It is a two-button black wool suit which seems to be a faux pas based on the experts here.

I wore it at my brother's wedding last year in 90 degrre heat and humidity. At the end of the night, I noticed the seem right at the crack of my butt came open. My wife wanted to buy a new one but I refused and had her sew it up. No sense in wasting money. :)

Pay more attention to your hair and glasses rather than a suit. A good suit may get your foot in the door but good hair will blow the hinges off. A bad suit may get you sympathy points (everyone hates wearing them except for stuck-up snobs) but bad hair will get you rejected more times than not and leaves a horrible impression.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
ninja;3771066 said:
Hopefully, some day soon the suit will be extinct. I have one suit that I have had for 15 years. I wear it for weddings, funerals, and interviews all-year. It is a two-button black wool suit which seems to be a faux pas based on the experts here.

I wore it at my brother's wedding last year in 90 degrre heat and humidity. At the end of the night, I noticed the seem right at the crack of my butt came open. My wife wanted to buy a new one but I refused and had her sew it up. No sense in wasting money. :)

Pay more attention to your hair and glasses rather than a suit. A good suit may get your foot in the door but good hair will blow the hinges off. A bad suit may get you sympathy points (everyone hates wearing them except for stuck-up snobs) but bad hair will get you rejected more times than not and leaves a horrible impression.

:rolleyes:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
ninja;3771066 said:

:laugh2:

[/Post of the year]

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
theogt;3770864 said:

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues that I really like. I have long lusted after the Alden 403/404/405 boot (otherwise known as the "Indy" for reasons which should be obvious given the nickname) but at 450 bucks for a boot (especially since I already have a few pairs of expensive shoes) is hard to swallow. I really like Alden Longwings and Suede chukkas (i barely missed a pair of nearly brand new alden chukkas on the 'bay for like 125, damn ebay snipers)

I don't much care for European shoemakers. They all seem a little too "sculpted" or maybe "pointy" for my tastes.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DIAF;3771218 said:
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues that I really like. I have long lusted after the Alden 403/404/405 boot (otherwise known as the "Indy" for reasons which should be obvious given the nickname) but at 450 bucks for a boot (especially since I already have a few pairs of expensive shoes) is hard to swallow. I really like Alden Longwings and Suede chukkas (i barely missed a pair of nearly brand new alden chukkas on the 'bay for like 125, damn ebay snipers)

I don't much care for European shoemakers. They all seem a little too "sculpted" or maybe "pointy" for my tastes.
There's European and then there's English, which are much more "classic" than the Italians and the like. Brooks Brothers shoes are actually made by the English shoemaker Peal & Co. Check out some Crockett & Jones, John Lobb, or Edward Green. Of course, you better be willing to throw down a grand or more.

One of these days, I'll have enough balls to buy some C&J Weymouths.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Who knew we had so many fashionistas on a macho football board? Makes me feel self-conscious for tying my pants with a piece of rope.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
bbgun;3771263 said:
Who knew we had so many fashionistas on a macho football board? Makes me feel self-conscious for tying my pants with a piece of rope.

I'd hardly call myself a fashionista. My wardrobe is regular old american preppy for casual, and stodgy american traditional for dressy. If you were to see me on the street, never would "fashionable" cross your mind. Some things I wear might be expensive, but never flashy.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
There is a lot of great information here that I hope to be able to use some day.

My one and only interview suit was handmade in Korea for $150. It is charcoal (I was going to get black, wife said grey so I compromised) but I couldn't tell you about pleats, vents or even how many buttons it has. I do know it impressed plenty of people as I was had some call backs and even a few offers for jobs I was under-qualified for.

Thanks for the post!

Kangaroo

Reaction score
DIAF;3771218 said:

Oh trust me I love to get a pair of Crocodile boots but depending on which ones you get and size and I wear an odd size they cost anywhere from $400 to 4k yes ouch it all depends on Croc species, belly vs horn and so on and so on. Then brand some brands make a better boot than others.

For some of the ones I really like I have to start making a lot more money or win the lottery

Kangaroo

Reaction score
DIAF;3771385 said:
I'd hardly call myself a fashionista. My wardrobe is regular old american preppy for casual, and stodgy american traditional for dressy. If you were to see me on the street, never would "fashionable" cross your mind. Some things I wear might be expensive, but never flashy.

With my current job it be a waste of money I own one Jacket that I have interviewed in several times in the last 10 years. I love a good tie but it is not piratical in my current role. In fact I should really where jeans most days but I am not allowed. Since I rack servers work in data centers crawl, deal with tiles wires and all that stuff. Then I sit on my *** most other days working on the rest of the stuff. I just refuse to spend good money on good shirt brands or pants hell I lost a pair of pants and a shirt in the last 2 months due to a server snagging them. I be pissed if I had a real nice mid level brand for $40 shirt or $60 pants and ripped it like that. Hell I get man when I rip the $17 Haggar docker pants I got at Cotcso or some place like that :D

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Kangaroo;3771681 said:
With my current job it be a waste of money I own one Jacket that I have interviewed in several times in the last 10 years. I love a good tie but it is not piratical in my current role. In fact I should really where jeans most days but I am not allowed. Since I rack servers work in data centers crawl, deal with tiles wires and all that stuff. Then I sit on my *** most other days working on the rest of the stuff. I just refuse to spend good money on good shirt brands or pants hell I lost a pair of pants and a shirt in the last 2 months due to a server snagging them. I be pissed if I had a real nice mid level brand for $40 shirt or $60 pants and ripped it like that. Hell I get man when I rip the $17 Haggar docker pants I got at Cotcso or some place like that :D

Well, you aren't always at work! You can dress well after-hours, or on the weekends!

Kangaroo

Reaction score
DIAF;3771685 said:
Well, you aren't always at work! You can dress well after-hours, or on the weekends!

Haha LOL Tuesday and sometimes Thursday I go to to Aikido come home it late. Most Mondays is Boyscouts so I have a uniform and most weekends are home working on the yard, house or Boyscout event. If I am not doing those things I am coming home and reviewing home work. Oh and I need to lose weight; I have to meet height weight requirements in two years for Philmont so I am adding in a work out routine (i need to lose 40-60lbs).

It is just a waste of money I have two nice pair of Wool pants I just do not get to wear very often that I interviewed in 3.5 years ago and they look knew because I rarely get to wear them. I get up and leave before everyone in the house and get home after everyone.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Specs appeal: Want to get that job? Wear glasses to the interview

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 8:09 PM on 3rd January 2011

Never mind a crisp shirt or a firm handshake. If you want to impress a potential employer, put on a pair of spectacles.

Job hunters are more likely to be hired if they wear glasses to their interview, according to a study.

A third of adults think spectacle-wearers look more professional, while 43 per cent think they appear more intelligent.

article-1343667-0CA2224E000005DC-552_468x286.jpg

Dress to impress: Statistics show people wearing glasses are perceived to be intelligent

And 40 per cent of those with 20-20 vision would consider wearing clear lenses if it would improve their chances of getting a job.

Another six per cent would put on glasses to feel fashionable, and nine per cent think spectacles make the wearer look more attractive, the study by the College of Optometrists found.

Psychology professor Cary Cooper, from Lancaster University, said: ‘It is not surprising that businesses want to employ intelligent staff but the idea that intelligent people wear glasses is an old stereotype that has not gone away.

‘In fact, glasses are a poor indication of intelligence because you can have bad eyesight for a number of reasons and then choose to wear contact lenses.

‘It is possible that some people have more self-confidence and change their behaviour when they put on glasses, which could in itself improve their chances at interview.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-glasses-look-professional.html#ixzz1A0pVEBEp

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Has everyone gotten his/her brown shoes yet?

Just ordered mine this AM. Check it...

I got some for WG also....lookie

glazed-by-adi-leopard-print-pumps.jpg
what? There is some brown in there.....